Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Is this illegal?

quote:

If I were to ask a stripper on snapchat to give me a BJ for money and if she were to screenshot the message and deny me. Would that be illegal? In the sate of Nebraska. -Thanks(asking for a friend)

"asking for a friend"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If I tip a guy a 5, but only because my next smallest bill is a 20, what does that make me?

The_end
May 17, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If I tip a guy a 5, but only because my next smallest bill is a 20, what does that make me?

None of those bills are tip worthy.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

If you presented this in the form of a reddit post with a few extra paragraphs people itt would be calling it fake and obvious red pill propaganda.

the difference being i'm just sharing a funny story and i actually am capable of meeting women, so when one rejects me it's not the end of the world and cause to write long paragraphs on the internet

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
when am I going to get tips for my posts?! gotta add that functionality so people can throw me $10-15 any time they want to make amends for being mean to me ~

The_end
May 17, 2014

Pick posted:

when am I going to get tips for my posts?! gotta add that functionality so people can throw me $10-15 any time they want to make amends for being mean to me ~

Gotta start a twitch stream.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

fruit on the bottom posted:

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go through life without empathy. Do sociopaths still end up with ethical systems? Is it just based on what they can get away with or do some of them end up something coldly rational and utilitarian?

Lawyer man I’m asking you a question here.
Some sociopaths end up with ethical systems from what I know. They don't get the warm and fuzzy feedback from helping people so the temptation to gently caress other people over is higher, but as long as they've got a good grip on their negative emotions and try not to make decisions based purely on those I suppose you'd also be less likely to end up with crimes of passion or the like. The problem is if someone is unable to feel genuine innate empathy for other people at all there's a high comorbidity that they'll have impulse control problems.

It's not like you need to be a sociopath to dehumanize people and disconnect your empathy responses from them, so I kinda wonder if the impulse control thing is what causes the problems most times?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

If "never see this person's threads again" was a $5 upgrade I would have bought it so I don't have to see any more dumb Pick Asks GBS threads

what I'm saying is, please implement the tip system, but make it so that I can tip lowtax to not see threads from certain posters

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’ll tell you the same thing I told Bill and Melinda, “Sorry I only donate to patreons”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If "never see this person's threads again" was a $5 upgrade I would have bought it so I don't have to see any more dumb Pick Asks GBS threads

what I'm saying is, please implement the tip system, but make it so that I can tip lowtax to not see threads from certain posters

That will be $10, ham :xd:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Guy who I'm currently dating is now asking me out on a second date at his house?Advice (self.dating)

Should I give him another chance?

OK, Reddit poster who will never see and for whom English is a second or third language, this response is going to be a long one:

No.

he wants to see my hairy vaginal

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My wife [28F] and I [30M] are rowing about my Brother-In- Law's gift: A painting of us in medieval costume

quote:

So my brother-in-law is a decent amateur artist, but nothing great. This Christmas, short of money (I imagine. He is a PhD student) he decided to paint us as a surprise gift.

The painting is of my wife and I dressed as a medieval Knight and lady. I have been told that it is because my wife likes the ballad of Tamelin and I am a fan of the Pre-Raphaelites. Both of those things are true, but I can't see their influence in it.

So firstly, whilst it does look like me, and. Is flattering, it doesn't look like my wife at all, which she admits to an extent. It looks like a much older woman. Secondly, the people are a bit out of proportion.

Secondly, it looks like the kind of thing incredibly self possessed people in films might have. It is laughable to think someone might have a portrait of themselves on the wall dressed as a knight or a lady. I'm not into the whole fantasy thing either. I am absolutely certain that people will laugh at it, and then us for it.

On seeing it, my initial reaction was that he was trolling us, and that no one in their right mind could believe we would want such a thing. He has been to our house and he knows that we are very choosy with our art (which is original, by professionals, and nothing like what he has given us) Apparently my wife thinks we should actually display it. But the mere sight of it makes me cringe. It is totally hateful to me.

So my wife is angry at my reaction because he has put a lot of work into it (which I won't deny)

She wants an apology for being unpleasant (need to clarify, he wasn't there when I first saw it. She brought it home)

I feel like if I back down I will have the drat thing on my wall, and I can't tolerate it being anywhere in view. I know it is unreasonable to actually ask to throw it away. But I hard veto people being able to see it.

Also, my reaction was honest. I do hate it. I'm willing to accept that he didn't do it deliberately, but I struggle to think of a gift I could have recieved I would hate less

Basically I feel that it will make us the butt of the joke, and I don't want that to happen in my own house

TL;DR: My wife's brother has given us a horrible painting. I hate it, my wife is upset at my reaction

Thoughts?

Edit: Can't stress enough. I have not spoken to my bro in law about this. Just between my wife and I. Also, great for you if you would hang it up. I don't want to, it is my house, and I feel entitled to decorate it my own way.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

My wife [28F] and I [30M] are rowing about my Brother-In- Law's gift: A painting of us in medieval costume

That owns bones, I'd love for someone to gift a terrible painting of my and my hypothetical wife. Put it up in the guest bedroom, facing the bed.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Hang it above the shitter.

My [26F] boyfriend [30M] of two years has admitted he is not attracted to women over 30. I'm worried about our future together

quote:

We have talked about marriage but this whole thing is making me very hesitant. I have long known that he isn't attracted to "older women" but I didn't realize he has such a strict limit. He actually explicitly told me "as soon as a woman turns 30 she starts going downhill". To me, 30 isn't even old at all, but to him I only have 4 years until I turn disgusting I guess. He has assured me that he will always love me despite his loss of attraction but I don't know if I can spend my life with someone who will find me ugly for the majority of our lives. What should I do? I love him and had planned out our lives together.

Tldr: my boyfriend thinks women above 30 are ugly. How can I be with him?

Someone tell this dude that best by dates are not scientific.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

What an rear end. Strike 1: used whilst. Strike 2: ‘it is hateful to me’ is nonsensical unless the painting hates him. Strike 3: wants to throw it out but admits that’s not going to be allowed.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

La Brea Carpet posted:

Hang it above the shitter.

My [26F] boyfriend [30M] of two years has admitted he is not attracted to women over 30. I'm worried about our future together

Someone tell this dude that best by dates are not scientific.
Murder this prick.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PetraCore posted:

Some sociopaths end up with ethical systems from what I know. They don't get the warm and fuzzy feedback from helping people so the temptation to gently caress other people over is higher, but as long as they've got a good grip on their negative emotions and try not to make decisions based purely on those I suppose you'd also be less likely to end up with crimes of passion or the like. The problem is if someone is unable to feel genuine innate empathy for other people at all there's a high comorbidity that they'll have impulse control problems.

It's not like you need to be a sociopath to dehumanize people and disconnect your empathy responses from them, so I kinda wonder if the impulse control thing is what causes the problems most times?

There might even be jobs where lacking the human empathy response could help. Like a triage nurse maybe? If one disaster victim in an area is sure to die but is a mother with several children watching, a more empathetic person might try to help them fruitlessly rather than helping the three prisoners who are critically injured but savable with quick action.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There might even be jobs where lacking the human empathy response could help. Like a triage nurse maybe? If one disaster victim in an area is sure to die but is a mother with several children watching, a more empathetic person might try to help them fruitlessly rather than helping the three prisoners who are critically injured but savable with quick action.

IIRC a lot of surgeons are real weirds. super weirds.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

yes but there's also a difference between "this person is anesthetized and this will help them" and "Oh boy look at all that blood. CUT CUT CUT"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Pick posted:

Oh yeah you don't want someone who will get nerves over cutting into someone's brain (because if it goes wrong you've done a terrible terrible thing to a person) performing brain surgery, for one. Like they've got to care that they do it right, but they've also got to be able to remain steady and calm. Empathy issues and professional pride are a good combo for that.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Yo for real though if someone gave me a painting of me in like a suit of armor I would build a loving fireplace just so I could hang it on my mantle

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

People with specific brain damage are better at cost analysis benefit and would do things that would make them monsters in our eyes but would be the objectively humane choice. Our hosed up stupid brains weren't made to function in society that's for sure.

Honestly, being a doctor seems to require such an insane drive and single-minded effort that I don't know how a strictly normal person could ever succeed at just becoming a licensed doctor.

Same thing for famous people. Anyone that driven to fame has a huge chance of being brain hosed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

yes but there's also a difference between "this person is anesthetized and this will help them" and "Oh boy look at all that blood. CUT CUT CUT"

I don't know which one you think surgeons are. I don't know which one I think surgeons are.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Emotions don't make you worse at decision-making. They're literally decision-making guides that exist in the brain. People who have lost their emotions tend to have extreme problems in making decisions. Established phenomenon.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Pick posted:

Emotions don't make you worse at decision-making. They're literally decision-making guides that exist in the brain. People who have lost their emotions tend to have extreme problems in making decisions. Established phenomenon.

That's why I said specific ways dumbkoff

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

Emotions don't make you worse at decision-making. They're literally decision-making tools that exist in the brain. People who have lost their emotions tend to have extreme problems in making decisions. Established phenomenon.
Yeah, rather than lack of emotions leading to logic I think it's safer to say that certain emotional impairments can potentially lead to higher objectivity in highly specific cases. A decision made without factoring in the emotional component isn't a logical decision, because humans process things emotionally.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I [27M] hit my [26M] boyfriend of 3 years. I don't know what to do to start picking up the pieces.Relationships (self.relationships)

quote:

This is hard to explain. I guess it all began on Christmas eve. My boyfriend and I are together for 3 years and all this time I've never met his family. We have been talking about marrying in the next two years, so, it was inevitable I met his family at some point. He told them he was gay a few months ago, told them about me, asked if he could invite me to Christmas dinner (they do a whole thing with some family friends), then invited me. I was nervous and kinda expecting a warm welcome but all night I was introduced as his "friend" by his family, cold stares and pretty much ignored. At midnight, my boyfriend, his godmother, her husband and a child I don't exactly know were the only ones to wish me merry Christmas (out of... 10-12 people) During secret santa (which I was obviously not a part and I never expected to be, I was meeting most of people there that day and a lot of them didn't know I existed) I was just shoved into a corner and no one tried to make me feel included. I never expect to have a parade thrown in honor of me but I'm kinda marrying his only son, so I expecte they would try to include me a little bit. So yeah, I was a bit bummed at the end of the night. The night ended, we went to my home and I fully understand I did lash out on my driving that night. I was a bit angry, the streets were clean and for someone who doesn't drive it might have looked like I was just angry and being reckless but I know what I was doing. I just wanted to get home fast and forget I ever left. H was asking me to speed down and poo poo, but whatever.

We went home, had a full argument about my driving, which led to his family and how lovely they treated me. He admitted their reception was less than stellar but went on a "just give it time etc etc etc" and honestly was just trying to calm me down. He hates arguments. Despite being a big guy, he's the sweetest person ever and you just never see it coming. He's like a pound of sugar on a can on pepper. He hates arguments. He's the kind of person who flinches if you move too fast around him. It took months for him to accept being touched past the elbow when we first met. I would put my hand around his shoulders and just feel his body starting to burn and his breathing going fast. Even today, I have to make sure I'm not doing anything unexpected or make sure he knows it's me and that I will touch him, otherwise he might just go all "cringy" and basically shut down for a few hours.

I was unable to make him see my point and couldn't see his, so we just went to sleep. I woke up, and everything came back to my head and I was instantly in a bad mood. I went to the kitchen and he followed me, made coffee and was like "do you wanna talk about last night?". And I was just mad. Things got heated up fast, accusations were made, I accused him of hiding me for so long on purpose and at the end we were just shouting. On Christmas morning. Things ended when he told I could have just left if I was so unhappy and not tried to kill him in a car crash. And I was so mad, because in what loving world would he think I was trying to hurt him? I just felt my fingers closed on their own and punched his face. I heard the lens of his glasses falling and then we just stared at each other. I was too afraid to move and he was just looking at me like I was a stranger, holding his face. I immediatly realised my mistake and tried to hug him or to see if he was hurt but he just walked back and told me not to get near him. I was saying sorry and asking if he was ok but he was just looking at me with big eyes and seeming shocked or trying not to cry. He then said sorry and that he was out of line and just walked out.

He won't pick up my calls and when I try to text him he told me not to worry because he won't tell anyone or that he was sorry because he shouldn't have said that and like, what the gently caress is wrong with him, why is he blaming himself and not ME? I'm not trying to justify what I did, but I grew up with four older brothers, so punching was pretty much the law when I was growing up. He left and didn't even took his glasses with him. I don't know where he is. I had a whole thing planned to ask him to marry me on New Year's Eve and now I'm just like what the gently caress have I done? How do I fix any of this?

I didn't punch my boyfriend - my fingers formed a fist! I'm like the guy from idle hands! Help me reddit!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Faffel posted:

That's why I said specific ways dumbkoff

You went back and added content and context to your post after I responded to it!!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Pick posted:

I don't know which one you think surgeons are. I don't know which one I think surgeons are.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

maskenfreiheit posted:

I [27M] hit my [26M] boyfriend of 3 years. I don't know what to do to start picking up the pieces.Relationships (self.relationships)

I didn't punch my boyfriend - my fingers formed a fist! I'm like the guy from idle hands! Help me reddit!
Also sounds like the boyfriend is really twitchy about being hit in the first place. Not like OP deserves a second chance but lol at thinking it's possible to recover the relationship if his boyfriend already flinched every time they touched and it took months for him to be able to casually touch his boyfriend in the first place.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

Also sounds like the boyfriend is really twitchy about being hit in the first place. Not like OP deserves a second chance but lol at thinking it's possible to recover the relationship if his boyfriend already flinched every time they touched and it took months for him to be able to casually touch his boyfriend in the first place.

Some people are really touch averse and it drives me nuts.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

Yeah, it's terribly frustrating when people think THEIR opinions on if you can touch them outweigh yours. It takes two to consent, amirite? :rolleyes:

I [19/M] want to start making out with my girlfriend [18/F], We're both very shy and I'm not sure how to go about this (self.relationship_advice)

quote:

So I've been dating my girlfriend for just about 5 months now. We're both on the shyer side, and were both each others first boyfriend/girlfriend, so its been a somewhat slow moving relationship. Anyways, I'm very happy with our relationship at the moment, however I do want to get more physical with her and I think she feels the same. We have kissed before (closed mouth) and we do lots of cuddling, but I really want to make out with her. Like I said before, I feel like she wants to also, I just don't know how to initiate this. Should I ask her if she wants to? just randomly go for it? Also i've never made out with anyone before so I'm also anxious that I'd be pretty bad at it

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

I'm saying it sounds like the boyfriend's been hit before in specific.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

Yeah, it's terribly frustrating when people think THEIR opinions on if you can touch them outweigh yours. It takes two to consent, amirite? :rolleyes:

Human touch is necessary for human health.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

PetraCore posted:

I'm saying it sounds like the boyfriend's been hit before in specific.

It also sounds like OP drove dangerously and handwaved it as "I knew what I was doing" then argued til late then woke up and punched their BF

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
these hands are healing feelers

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

Human touch is necessary for human health.
Yeah that's why it's lovely to touch someone without their consent when you know it'll freak them out more.

I'm saying this as an autistic person whose dad used to go out of his way to pat me on the leg when he walked by me so I'd learn to deal with surprise input, though.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Death by a thousand no hugs.

Also, what is this supposed to mean "He's like a pound of sugar on a can on pepper" i can parse up to pound of sugar but then it falls apart.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

Death by a thousand no hugs.

the dennis system story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Pick posted:

You went back and added content and context to your post after I responded to it!!

Not that content though.