Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Been out of the loop since the last sale, what games are worth picking up this go round? (My profile will have all my owned, wishlisted, prefered genre (based on playtime) games. But real quick...
  • LIKES: RPG's, 4x, Turn-based Tactical, flashy action, relaxing (think Stardew Valley).
  • DISLIKES (aka Games I never end up playing): puzzle, walking simulators...

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
War of the Chosen (The XCOM2 expansion)
Nier: Automata
Hitman 2016
Prey
Dark Souls 3

/edit:
Blades of the Shogun (not quite turn based, but maybe?)

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 29, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Been out of the loop since the last sale, what games are worth picking up this go round? (My profile will have all my owned, wishlisted, prefered genre (based on playtime) games. But real quick...
  • LIKES: RPG's, 4x, Turn-based Tactical, flashy action, relaxing (think Stardew Valley).

You don't seem to own Invisible Inc, but it's not on your wishlist?

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Rogue Legacy for $3

http://store.steampowered.com/app/241600/Rogue_Legacy/

Rogue-lite platformer where you fight your way through a castle, forest, tower, and dungeons all to fight an end boss in each area and then the end of the game. Each run you try to get enough gold to upgrade your castle so when you inevitably die your descendent will be that much more powerful. Your descendents will have traits, some good and some bad, that make them unique.

I bought this a year or two ago, got nearsightedness for my second guy which gave me a migraine, then got vertigo which flips everything (including the menus) upside down, alt f4ed and returned it. I ended up watching some GameGrumps let's plays and decided to give it another shot for $3, and am having loads of fun with it.

It looks like they removed the stupid vertigo gimmick (or I somehow turned it off, don't know) and it's easy enough to avoid the headache inducing near/farsight traits since you can choose from between 3 guys each death. You can easily play this for 20 minutes, progress a bit, then sit it down. Or play for 4 hours, whatever you're into. Some combos are really powerful, like lich king with blood gear and OCD or hilariously bad like gigantism with knave and the trait that makes all your magic shoot out the back.

Get a controller, I haven't tried keyboard controls and I don't think you can use the mouse. Will run on a potato. Has bang'n music.

I don't usually get into roguelikes (I thought dungeon of the endless was pointless trash) but the fact that you can actually advance across multiple playthroughs and that I can play this for 20 minutes and do something useful got me.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 29, 2017

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

The same goes for Cleansuit. If you've never played a text-based game, this is probably the best way to dip your toes into this genre, seeing as you have some visual aids to go along with the text.

Wow, this looks awesome. Thanks for the tip, will give it a try.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
Is Borderlands 2 GOTY worth if if you're not going to do multiplayer? I never looked at this for that reason and it's kinda a DLC palooza but the fact that they used Everybody Wang Chung Tonight for the trailer is a huge plus to me.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ganson posted:

Is Borderlands 2 GOTY worth if if you're not going to do multiplayer? I never looked at this for that reason and it's kinda a DLC palooza but the fact that they used Everybody Wang Chung Tonight for the trailer is a huge plus to me.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It's doable, but it's much, much better if you're playing with a mate or two. I played about 2/3rds of the campaign solo before giving up and coming back like 2 years later and finishing when I got a goon group going.

If you're gonna do it (either solo or co-op), either cheat engine the drop rates or outright save edit some good guns in there, it's a miserable experience otherwise.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It's doable, but it's much, much better if you're playing with a mate or two. I played about 2/3rds of the campaign solo before giving up and coming back like 2 years later and finishing when I got a goon group going.

If you're gonna do it (either solo or co-op), either cheat engine the drop rates or outright save edit some good guns in there, it's a miserable experience otherwise.

So no, thanks. I'll probably catch it on Youtube at some point.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
Anyone have a good survival/building game with an actual story to go with it? Subnautica-like is what I'm thinking of, supposedly Planet Explorers has a mode where you round up a bunch of refugees and build a settlement but the reviews are pretty bad. Planet Nomads looks kinda cool though every youtuber who plays it apparently has a nasally ear-sandpaper voice. I already have Rimworld. Big on space, less on medieval. The Forest was a buggy piece of poo poo that I might take another crack at just to be disappointed again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ganson posted:

Anyone have a good survival/building game with an actual story to go with it? Subnautica-like is what I'm thinking of, supposedly Planet Explorers has a mode where you round up a bunch of refugees and build a settlement but the reviews are pretty bad. Planet Nomads looks kinda cool though every youtuber who plays it apparently has a nasally ear-sandpaper voice. I already have Rimworld. Big on space, less on medieval. The Forest was a buggy piece of poo poo that I might take another crack at just to be disappointed again.

No Man's Sky has a pretty decent story in it now, and it's a good game to boot!

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

No Man's Sky has a pretty decent story in it now, and it's a good game to boot!

I've heard that but it's still way overpriced, even on sale. IMO most survival games are going to max out at $30 for me. I might circle back to it when it's 'done.'

Ganson fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 29, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
anyone have opinions on shadow tactics?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Waroduce posted:

anyone have opinions on shadow tactics?

It's great, just like an updated, better version of the old Commandos games -- stealth/strategy, polished and with good mechanics and characters, but very difficult. If quicksaving and quickloading a hundred of times per level sounds bad, it might not be for you, though.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Ganson posted:

I personally had a lot of fun playing it through several times in single player, but I might be in the minority there.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ganson posted:

I played through Borderlands 1 solo twice and enjoyed the crap out of it.

I got about 2 hours into Borderlands 2 solo before uninstalling and never looking back.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

-Blackadder- posted:

Disgaea 1/2, Phantom Brave

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Can myself from the future tell me if I will regret buying For Honor for 20 euros in this sale

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Minorkos posted:

Can myself from the future tell me if I will regret buying For Honor for 20 euros in this sale

Absolutely.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What's the best Sudoku game on steam for my mom?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Blattdorf posted:

Absolutely.

I actually already bought it with the intention of potentially refunding when my 2 hours are up

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Don't think there are any good ones on Steam. Buy her Squarelogic and Hexcells instead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For Honor is a cool game, I played it for about 90 hours before I got too bored of it. The visceral crunchy combat is unlike any other and it's really satisfying to best an opponent in 1v1. Unfortunately duel is really the only balanced portion of the game as the 4v4 modes are a total clusterfuck where you will probably get instantly annihilated via cannonball by some prestige level 200 dude. The campaign is fine but almost totally perfunctory. Still, an overall fun game with some lingering balance issues.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Elizabeth Mills posted:

I was going to throw out Zen of Sudoku because it was made by Natural Selection devs to fund NS2

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4900/Zen_of_Sudoku/

And its completely free now (thanks Flayra!)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Elizabeth Mills posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32150/Everyday_Genius_SquareLogic/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Sudoku Universe!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Awww. No buy option (no price). Get your poo poo together, Steam.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Elizabeth Mills posted:

The only answer you need.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Anyone got fun/good games to recommend for around 9 dollars/euros?

Or alternatively good city builders that aren't Banished, Citites Skylines or Anno series.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Demicol posted:

Or alternatively good city builders that aren't Banished, Citites Skylines or Anno series.

Children of the Nile

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Demicol posted:

Cities Skylines, Anno 1404, SimCity 4, Tropico...

oh

...Well, just play those again anyways

I haven't played it but Kingdoms and Castles came out this year and pretty well-received. Maybe someone can offer input on that: http://store.steampowered.com/app/569480/Kingdoms_and_Castles

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This, also Imperium Romanum and/or Grand Ages: Rome for some classic city building. Project Highrise isn't a city-builder but it's super good and scratches the same itch. Or you can build out a goofy space station in Startopia.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 30, 2017

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

There's also the classics Zeus/Poseidon.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I upgraded to Windows 10.

If you could only have one, would you rather have Forza Horizon 3 or Motorsport 7? I played the demo for Horizon and it seems fun enough and works ok, how does MS7 hold up?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Xaris posted:

I haven't played it but Kingdoms and Castles came out this year and pretty well-received. Maybe someone can offer input on that: http://store.steampowered.com/app/569480/Kingdoms_and_Castles
I heard they are planning on having massive maps, but anything else would be new to me. Looking at the videos from a couple people, it seems very by the numbers with everyone preparing to build walls on the edge of the land and turtling bigger walls in between raids. It seems bare bones so far with no way to invade viking lands or kill neighboring kingdoms. Invaders kick your face in, but they just leave after starting some fires and you hit the pop cap so quickly that losses are almost meaningless. I might be expecting too much from the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

I heard they are planning on having massive maps, but anything else would be new to me. Looking at the videos from a couple people, it seems very by the numbers with everyone preparing to build walls on the edge of the land and turtling bigger walls in between raids. It seems bare bones so far with no way to invade viking lands or kill neighboring kingdoms. Invaders kick your face in, but they just leave after starting some fires and you hit the pop cap so quickly that losses are almost meaningless. I might be expecting too much from the game.

It's not, it's NOT about invading or moving or what have you. It's about being chill as you build up your little kingdom and spread over the map and protect it. There's no offensive stuff. The economy is fairly simple (yet pleasing), so like. Do not go into this expecting an RTS or what have you. It's chill. Baby's first city-builder, in a sense.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

skooma512 posted:

So I upgraded to Windows 10.

If you could only have one, would you rather have Forza Horizon 3 or Motorsport 7? I played the demo for Horizon and it seems fun enough and works ok, how does MS7 hold up?

I bought Forza 7 when it came out and it felt kind of half assed to me, like one of those games where the studio rushes it out just before they shut down (they haven't shut down as far as I know). There were quite a few memory leak and crash bugs that I'm not sure were ever fixed, no proper leaderboards for hot lapping, AI is somewhere between the same and worse than Forza 4, and they tried to improve car customization but accidentally made it worse instead. Maybe it's OK if you've literally never played any sort of Gran Turismo/Forza game. I've never played Horizon 3 but it's probably more fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not played either myself, but isn't Horizon 3 the "fun" racer and mainline 7 the "serious" one? Because that would be the deciding factor for me right there. Also 7's progression system is apparently a bit of a mess and was lumped in with the microtransaction death spiral. Nowhere near Battlefront 2 bad, mind, but still messy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's not, it's NOT about invading or moving or what have you. It's about being chill as you build up your little kingdom and spread over the map and protect it. There's no offensive stuff. The economy is fairly simple (yet pleasing), so like. Do not go into this expecting an RTS or what have you. It's chill. Baby's first city-builder, in a sense.
The problem is no end game and having offensive stuff can be a good thing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

The problem is no end game and having offensive stuff can be a good thing.

Can be! Could be! That's not what Kingdoms and Castles has, at the mo. (Possibly ever? They're working on expanding the economy afaik) - So if you're looking for something less chill, go elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Demicol posted:

Startopia is not quite what you're looking for, but it's in the same ballpark, a good management/building game along the lines of Theme Hospital/Park and down to like $0.97 during the Steam holiday sale.

Edit: Oh, didn't see that someone already mentioned Startopia. Still, for less than $1 it's a good deal.

• Locked thread