Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Chillgamesh posted:

History stuff

From the darkness to the light :allears:

People always say bad poo poo when they’re surrounded by other people saying bad poo poo. Watching south park was basically 100% required at all the schools I’ve gone to. It’s hard work finding out what bad and stupid ideas have wormed into your brain that way. Id, you did a good thing confronting the brainworms of your past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
That was a good Twitter thread and much better to see than a lot of goons who pretend they were always enlightened and never had to grow up

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It’s a nice twitter thread but I just read through the Drakengard LP this week and drat it really is rough going in places.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

darealkooky posted:

did you mean to word this so it implies that SA didn't have a bunch of pedos among it's Important members?

mods. knew.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

endolithic posted:

Ya'll should really just follow Id and WifeId/DarkWife on twitter because they're cool and funny

https://twitter.com/fioaimes/status/946127217934860289

some people are born to be doctors, some are scientists, TDI was born to Dad Joke and he is a true master.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

some people are born to be doctors, some are scientists, TDI was born to Dad Joke and he is a true master.

It's why he's the End Boss Dad.

Edit: Wait, wait, wait. Stop. I was just reading through some of Id's wife's twitter and discovered that his daughter and her girlfriend went as 2B and 9S for Halloween. That is adorable, but I hope your daughter staunchly refused to call her Nines the whole night.

AndwhatIseeisme fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 29, 2017

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
https://twitter.com/fedule/status/945957302368169984

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

It's why he's the End Boss Dad.

Edit: Wait, wait, wait. Stop. I was just reading through some of Id's wife's twitter and discovered that his daughter and her girlfriend went as 2B and 9S for Halloween. That is adorable, but I hope your daughter staunchly refused to call her Nines the whole night.

No mercy killing strangulation until you’re married :colbert:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I want to make some joke about offensive lp jokes and this cannot continue, but I am sure I would just mess it up. Anyway it is quite impressive to come out and admit your past gently caress ups from your only volition.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Look who did a top-ten games of 2017 list for Giant Bomb

Undertale entry contains mild Nier spoilers that haven't come up yet.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 29, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this, beyond "huh, he likes shoot em up's."

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

This is good. It's exactly his kind of insanity. Especially the inside review.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

It looks like there's a spoiler for the game in that list, if I interpreted his commentary correctly. Just as a warning to anyone else planning to click through the link. Just skip his entry for Undertale to avoid it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fair point, added a warning.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this, beyond "huh, he likes shoot em up's."

He did say in that interview awhile back that he loves shmups and wants to make one himself.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Yoko Taro posted:

10. INSIDE (Steam)

That being said, in the end I wasn’t able to make the time. So although I purchased it on Steam, I haven’t been able to play it even once. Regardless, I am sure that it is a masterpiece.

:allears:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Danaru posted:

The Dark Id is one of two people I know that were insane enough to 100% Chrono Cross

The other person is me

I still cannot fathom why either of us would do such a thing

Now you know a third. I borrowed a guide from a friend because he said it was a good game. I enjoyed it, but I was also 17 at the time.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Veotax posted:

Look who did a top-ten games of 2017 list for Giant Bomb

Undertale entry contains mild Nier spoilers that haven't come up yet.

Yoko Taro's thoughts on Animal Crossing have made me want more than anything else in the universe for him and Werner Herzog to team up for some gaming related project.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Sorry but Chrono Cross is a Bad Game. It's even more disappointing for a Chrono Trigger fan.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soundtrack is great tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkqWdE_Nd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_z3yLcVfsU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

...! posted:

Sorry but Chrono Cross is a Bad Game. It's even more disappointing for a Chrono Trigger fan.

Outside of the kinda dopey story, I didn't see what was wrong with it, it was reasonably competent, and I personally quite enjoyed the off-the-wall character designs. After playing it myself, I concurred with Id's summation in the OP of his Let's Play of it, that it's a fun enough game if you can look past the iffy-at-best story and how much better Chrono Trigger was. That said, probably won't play it again given that the things I liked most about it were done far better by Suikoden II.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, writing wasn't its strong point to put it mildly (particularly in context of CT sequel), and its enormous playable cast was a neat idea that ended up being more of a drawback than an asset. A large cast of meaningful plot-relevant characters is super cool; a large cast of characters for the sake of more playable characters is rather less exciting.

That said, those are really my only significant complaints about the game. They're nontrivial, certainly, but a game doesn't need to be perfect and flawless in every way, to be enjoyable in its own right in spite of its flaws.

As noted, its soundtrack is still awesome, and even its visuals have aged pretty drat nicely for a PS1 game. The star level system of character power balance is a good method by which difficulty could be more tightly tuned (especially given the way that, under the hood, it both allows for and mitigates the effect of randomness on your stats). And the element grid is a concept with a lot of potential to work with, although the game's easy enough that you never really need to get too invested in that.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I enjoyed Chrono Cross. And I 100%'d it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I think I can sum it up: Chrono Cross isn't a bad game.
It's just a bad Chrono Trigger sequel.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just want everyone to know that I have no strong opinions re: Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I think I can sum it up: Chrono Cross isn't a bad game.
It's just a bad Chrono Trigger sequel.

This 100%.

Really Pants posted:

I just want everyone to know that I have no strong opinions re: Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross

I have strong opinions about your lack of strong opinions and unfortunately there is no Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross thread that I could point you to where I could air such strong opinions.

Meanwhile, I cannot wait for A2's crazy ending ride.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Nah, it'd still be a Bad Game even if you played it in a vacuum having never played Chrono Trigger. It honestly baffles me that anyone likes it. It's one of the wrongest video game opinions possible. :colbert:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Do you know what’s a good game? Nier automata

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

EclecticTastes posted:

If it's any sort of consolation or comfort, quality LPs like your old Drakenier stuff are the main thing that got me to register on SA, which has definitely been a net positive in my life (for instance, the excellent laptop I'm posting with was bought based on recommendations from SH/SC), and I really respect that you made a public apology completely unprompted. Sometimes it looks like everything's just going to hell and nobody cares, but gestures like that remind me that, despite the prevalence of high-visibility assholes, the majority of people are actually pretty decent folks. So, thanks, both for the LPs, and just for being (or trying to be, if you'd prefer) a good guy.

TDI and Nakar don't write LPs, my FFL series never gets written. Period.

So good job it's kind of like you wrote it yourself!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

really queer Christmas posted:

hosed up if true

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Danaru posted:

The Dark Id is one of two people I know that were insane enough to 100% Chrono Cross

The other person is me

I still cannot fathom why either of us would do such a thing

hi there buddy now there's three of us :)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Really Pants posted:

Same, CT never came out here until the DS remake, and without nostalgia goggles it just looked like a fairly average PS1 RPG when I read an LP of it. Like, Wild Arms level. Good, but thats all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Here's a surprising fact about Chrono Trigger though: It doesnt have anything to do with Nier Automata at all. :o

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They both have multiple endings, at least one being a joke. :colbert:
Both have robots. Some of them are robutts.
Both have their main character die

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Here's a surprising fact about Chrono Trigger though: It doesnt have anything to do with Nier Automata at all. :o

They are both good. :shrug:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

...! posted:

Nah, it'd still be a Bad Game even if you played it in a vacuum having never played Chrono Trigger. It honestly baffles me that anyone likes it. It's one of the wrongest video game opinions possible. :colbert:

I want more RPGs where you get a bunch of dumb gimmicky rear end in a top hat characters at every single town to be in your party

Admittedly LISA did it way better, but Chrono Trigger did it first

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

prove it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I want more RPGs where you get a bunch of dumb gimmicky rear end in a top hat characters at every single town to be in your party

Suikoden had two installments out before Chrono Cross was released. If you think forty-five is a lot of dudes for your party, try upwards of seventy out of 108 recruits, and also they find ways to keep the benchwarmers relevant.

Also Suikoden is much like the works of Yoko Taro in that there are two really good installments, two installments that are mostly good but with significant flaws, and one that's pretty much terrible but so irrelevant to the rest of the franchise that it can be safely ignored. Yeah, that should cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I hope one day Yoko gets to play LISA

• Locked thread