Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
100% on the real, I am halfway from 29-30 and am experiencing some of the same stuff and working out/getting in shape/lifting weights/boxing regularly were all massive massive boosts in both the mortality and depression department.

Some of us are doomed, but scientists believe that some of our generation will comfortably hit 110+ years without trying too hard given modern medicine and health practice. The first person to live to be 150 has already been born, people are having kids in their 40-50s a lot more regularly now.

But for real when you are working out (go to a gym with headphones no one is looking at you and no one cares what you look like everyone is there for the same reason) and just spend time with your body. It won’t be so scary when poo poo starts going south because you know your body better and understand your own limits. All the added benefits of health and looking nicer aside, the endorphin release you get for an hour or two afterwards is fuckin lit and really helps me deal with wintertime blues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The other way of looking at this is that there is already a lot of knowledge out there that you don't know, and so just adding one more thing shouldn't cause an existential crisis. (One of the useful functions of a college education is that it makes you aware just how much you don't know.)

You absolutely want to learn how to learn, since that ability is useful throughout your life, but the fact that you don't understand some random bit of tech news is not the end of the world.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a TPU is a GPU with precision cut off cuz they don't need that poo poo for neural net calcs
it's a sign that Google spends a disgusting amount of money on this poo poo and can pick low-hanging fruit for billion-dollar savings lol

fun fact: the top PI's in neural networks are cresting over their 70's
AI is done by geezers

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Police Automaton posted:

There's this saying that age is just a number and there's a lot of truth to that. Do whatever you want IMHO, just do it for the right reasons. If you're 40 and want to experience skateboarding because you maybe never did or had no time, you should totally buy that skateboard and have fun. Just don't buy it because you want to be 20 again, that is not going to work and will only cause more frustration. I also had (and passed) a phase in life where I realized I'm officially old now for many but that feeling passed. I don't really care anymore and just live however I want to. It's not like you get another life anyways. I will 2nd avoiding alcohol though. All my acquaintances who used to drink a lot and party when they were younger (and still drink quite a bit now) not only look like poo poo but also regularly feel like poo poo and are doing somewhat worse in general. That stuff really makes you dumber. That all being said, mid-30s really isn't old. It's a great age. You know better than the 20 somethings but everything about your body and mind still isn't really age affected. There are still a lot of professional sportspeople your age!

That’s not what people mean when they use that phrase.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a TPU is a GPU with precision cut off cuz they don't need that poo poo for neural net calcs
it's a sign that Google spends a disgusting amount of money on this poo poo and can pick low-hanging fruit for billion-dollar savings lol

fun fact: the top PI's in neural networks are cresting over their 70's
AI is done by geezers

yea the 70 year old PIs are really personally doing the cutting edge work and aren't just grant writing machines i'm sure of it :hai:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

fruit on the bottom posted:

That’s not what people mean when they use that phrase.

Can't you use it in that context too? I'm not a native English speaker.

sugar free jazz posted:

yea the 70 year old PIs are really personally doing the cutting edge work and aren't just grant writing machines i'm sure of it :hai:

The dude who came up with a very important part of the lithium ion battery was 57 when he came up with it (without it, our modern handheld devices like smartphones or tablets would be a lot more unfeasible engineering-wise) and he came up with a new battery type at the age of 92. It's supposed to have three times the density and caught a lot of attention from industry bigshots.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Part of me wants to believe that old people are the way they are because they simply stop trying to learn new things, but then I get stuck in line at self-checkout for 15 minutes at the grocery store because four different old people at four different checkout stations keep putting items back in their cart after scanning instead of in the bagging area.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arven posted:

Part of me wants to believe that old people are the way they are because they simply stop trying to learn new things, but then I get stuck in line at self-checkout for 15 minutes at the grocery store because four different old people at four different checkout stations keep putting items back in their cart after scanning instead of in the bagging area.

its less that they stop trying to learn btw things and more that they don't want to learn new things, and without learning new things change gets really scary

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

how do I avoid becoming like that, assuming we live long enough to become elderly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

sugar free jazz posted:

they're in corporateland gettin paid a quarter billion a year
they don't need to write grants

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they're in corporateland gettin paid a quarter billion a year
they don't need to write grants

the dream......

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Snoo posted:

how do I avoid becoming like that, assuming we live long enough to become elderly

Just keep posting bro, we got you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Police Automaton posted:

Can't you use it in that context too? I'm not a native English speaker.

The dude who came up with a very important part of the lithium ion battery was 57 when he came up with it (without it, our modern handheld devices like smartphones or tablets would be a lot more unfeasible engineering-wise) and he came up with a new battery type at the age of 92. It's supposed to have three times the density and caught a lot of attention from industry bigshots.

Lol yeah, you can I’m just having fun. IME you’ll usually hear “you’re only as old as you feel”, whereas age being just a number is slightly more often with creeps and age gaps although both meanings do work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Snoo posted:

keep challenging your mind, learning and solving puzzles and stuff like that

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I see a lot of kids in their 20's that just don't have that curiosity to dive into new things. I know when I was that age I was learning tons and I still am doing things I don't see others my age doing. It doesn't have to be just doing soduku or word puzzles - learn languages, dancing, drawing, photography, guitar, piano, singing, writing, programming, etc

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Bust Rodd posted:

Some of us are doomed, but scientists believe that some of our generation will comfortably hit 110+ years without trying too hard given modern medicine and health practice. The first person to live to be 150 has already been born, people are having kids in their 40-50s a lot more regularly now.

Not in America, we're obese as poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And also increasingly poor and mentally ill!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

sugar free jazz posted:

the dream......

uhh don't pay attention to how much being a neural network peep sucked from like 1990 till 2005

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Most people are dumbasses, ergo most old people were/are dumbasses also.

Flipside: try walking up to a 15 y/o kid and speaking modern day slang to them, and see how it goes. Also, raise your hand if you know how to use SnapChat, and Bitmoji.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

maskenfreiheit posted:

you don't nessecarily turn into an idiot when you age

just take care of yourself (exercise) avoid alcohol, get your kicks from :420:

i worked with a guy in an industrial research lab in silicon valley who was 70. he just fuckin loves computers. he also one of those fancy cars that looks like a fancy razor

same. if you stay active (including learning new things) you'll be fine.

the diference between staying active and being a slug isn't that you'll live longer, its that you won't decline into dust. If you stay active you'll be basically normal until you're so old you spontaneously have an aneurism and die. If you become a slug you'll melt while still living and be on ventilators and not remembering your name and poo poo for years

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Also, people with negative attitudes towards old people and ageing have higher rates of dementia and decline when they get old. Change your attitude towards old people!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Also, people with negative attitudes towards old people and ageing have higher rates of dementia and decline when they get old. Change your attitude towards old people!

Number 1 symptom of dementia

Hold your breath:

Learning to like country and rap music

If you start liking both, you've got a few months of "sanity" left

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I'm dating a tranny. And before everyone jumps down my throat that's what she prefers so that's what I refer to her as. That's not really the confession though. My confession is that I'm starting to develop real feelings for this woman, but I'm terrified of introducing her to my friends and family. It's getting to the point where I'm trying to predecide if they don't accept her if it would be worth to sever completely from them. It's easy to just say "Oh, they're bigots, of course sever!" But in reality it could be throwing away my entire family support structure. They're all pretty open minded, but this might not fly.

What do you think? Am I over thinking it, and just introduce her when we're both ready then decide, or should I have my decisions made ahead of time?

I don't see a reason to sever if they don't "accept" your girlfriend right away. It's not like there's gonna be an ultimatum scenario or anything super-dramatic like that. What are they going to do that would force your hand like that, order you not to date her? I say just introduce her and whatever their reaction is is their concern. By all means defend her if they are rude to your face, but it doesn't sound like they'd necessarily do that. Either way, you're their family like they are yours, and that's worth preserving. They can learn to accept your decisions, or they can be mad.

quote:

My husband may have permanently ruined us financially and destroyed our marriage. All in the name of “having a good Christmas”.

We are both in our early 30s, married for 2 years. Last Christmas was amazing. I was job hunting after a layoff and we both agreed not to go crazy buying presents. Our families understood (at least we thought they did) so our holiday season was mostly hanging out and relaxing. My husband bought me tickets to a concert and I got him a new winter jacket. We didn’t get anything for our families but we hosted Christmas and cooked as much as we could.

I later found out that his mother was “ashamed” or how simple our Christmas was. She expected gifts, fancy decorations, and basically a huge celebration. This apparently haunted him all year and he became obsessed with making it up to her.

I found a new job making a good salary, and he got a small raise at work. We are doing fine but are firmly middle class.

My husband, without my knowledge, dipped into our shared account for Christmas. This year, his mother hosted. He spent nearly 20,000 on presents for 10 people. That includes a Nintendo Switch for everyone under 50, a fur coat for his mother, and a $2000 gift card to Omaha Steaks for his parents.

This is all of our savings account.

We have about $1400 in the bank and that’s only because we just got paid. I have asked him (screamed at him really) to get the gifts back and return them. He claimed we needed to make things up to his mother for the shame of last year.

Also, did you notice I didn’t list any gifts for me? Because he got me 2 things - a bottle of wine and a gift card to Panera bread for 25 dollars. I bought him several things he asked for and even hand made him a set of Star Wars Russian nesting dolls as he’s a big fan.

I think our marriage is over. We haven’t been intimate since and he’s spent several days at his parents house to “feel like a classic Christmas again”. Every time I bring up our issues to work through them he’ll either ignore me or claim that “everybody spends too much on Christmas, it’s how the economy works”.

I would appreciate advice if I could salvage things, or how I might save my personal finances here.

Yeah uh can some Gentile chime in on this one because this doesn't seem like a normal reaction on the part of the guy or his mom

Like, financially speaking I'd say "ruined" is a bit of a strong term since you're not in debt over it or anything, it was just a really irresponsible decision that doesn't suggest good things for the future. At the very least set some boundaries regarding what's an appropriate amount of money to spend on the holidays, because he went way past what they should be.

also try to find out what his mom said to him to provoke this kind of reaction because that sounds like a possible emotional-abuse scenario

e: please do not make a big deal out of him buying you token gifts, that makes it come off as petty and is kind of counter-intuitive to the whole "you spent too much money" argument

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 29, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
He had his midlife crisis early

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well.... my brother in law married a sterile older lady.
Family didn't care, well mother was sad that she couldn't have grandkids through him for the usual grandma stuff.

So perhaps if you frame it as a question "would it be any different if I was brining home a biological female who could not bear children?".

If so they are just bigots and you need to balance your need of happiness and your needs of fiscal aid.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

loquacius posted:

Yeah uh can some Gentile chime in on this one because this doesn't seem like a normal reaction on the part of the guy or his mom

I mean, I'm sure you can understand the pressure of a religious, overbearing mother ;)

He's a mama's boy and a manchild.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Get therapy and gently caress your therapist.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

quote:

My husband, without my knowledge, dipped into our shared account for Christmas. This year, his mother hosted. He spent nearly 20,000 on presents for 10 people

Step one: No more shared savings account.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Holy poo poo, that is a huge betrayal of trust. Spending your savings on presents isn't smart, but it's understandable when it's people with like $1500 in savings and they have kids, but spending $20k on family to "make up" for it is pretty insane. I don't usually say things like this, but your husband's mom really did a number on him growing up. That's not a normal way to react to a parent's criticism. If he's refusing to even discuss the problem, then you're probably right in thinking of divorce.

Trans girlfriend goon, don't put the cart before the horse. Take your own advice and just introduce her when you're both ready. One of my close friends was terrified of coming out of the closet because his dad is a huge right wing "man's man" and he didn't care at all and goes fishing with his boyfriend and everything. He built up all these horrible scenarios in his head, and none of them even came close to happening. Don't know why you'd even have to tell anyone she's trans. Is it like super obvious or something?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lol 20k in gifts. Dude should be on the curb by now.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
'yay a switch' said the confused 49 year old

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

$ $ $T R A P L O R D $ $ $

20k is a pretty insane chunk for middle class folks. I can't even fathom spending that much money in a three month period.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

8 Ball posted:

'yay a switch' said the confused 49 year old

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

skeemon posted:

20k is a pretty insane chunk for middle class folks. I can't even fathom spending that much money in a three month period.

Not even in a year to be honest. I mean unless you count rent and utilities etc.
But certainly not on gifts.

Send your husband to therapy. He needs it. But pick a male therapist, see thread title.

Alternatively sever, for real.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Solice Kirsk posted:

Holy poo poo, that is a huge betrayal of trust. Spending your savings on presents isn't smart, but it's understandable when it's people with like $1500 in savings and they have kids, but spending $20k on family to "make up" for it is pretty insane. I don't usually say things like this, but your husband's mom really did a number on him growing up. That's not a normal way to react to a parent's criticism. If he's refusing to even discuss the problem, then you're probably right in thinking of divorce.

Trans girlfriend goon, don't put the cart before the horse. Take your own advice and just introduce her when you're both ready. One of my close friends was terrified of coming out of the closet because his dad is a huge right wing "man's man" and he didn't care at all and goes fishing with his boyfriend and everything. He built up all these horrible scenarios in his head, and none of them even came close to happening. Don't know why you'd even have to tell anyone she's trans. Is it like super obvious or something?

same. sums up my thoughts for tranny dating goon

deranged-christmas wife, weren't there any red flags? That's ultra hosed and seems pretty nuts to me. Like actual insanity to the point where there'd be warning signs or something. That previous Christmas is what I aim for, and I think a lot of people do the same. Is the mother in law guillotine level rich or just wacked out?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

maskenfreiheit posted:

i worked with a guy in an industrial research lab in silicon valley who was 70. he just fuckin loves computers. he also one of those fancy cars that looks like a fancy razor

I think it's awesome that Turbo Teen found a career that provides fulfillment.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

1 more puppetmaster fesh

quote:

The puppetmaster is back kids, but not for long.

There are dark forces at work in these forums - much like North Korea, factions of the armed forces moderation team fight amongst themselves while the leader contracts gout from too much Doritos and Dew.

I actually have a few moderators who have encouraged my mission. Others have PMed me to back off, insinuating my reports are bogus and I will be probed or banned (sometimes on the same day one lands a hit!)

And much like in North Korea, sometimes when these internal forces clash, the west forums catches wind someone has been "executed by aircraft cannon". (I'll let you figure out that euphemism.)

I'm happy to continue my mission of generating lulz by getting lovely posters probed and banned.

I'm also happy to, much like Oleg Burov on The Americans, turn my attention to internal corruption and other pet theories I've been sitting on.

(For example, it's interesting when I start discussing suspicion two posters are one in the same, and the very next day BOTH prominently mention their phones, prominently (but not directly) saying "our phones are different, so we must be two people".)

Feel free to try and catch me. But I've hidden my tracks well, like... that guy... from the Wire. I don't make the reports. I've got a whole cabal. If I never post in the fesh thread, haven't reported a thread in months, and do all my plotting over Signal, just how exactly do you plan to "out" me genius?

The ironic part here is that he hosed up and accidentally used the code the DC leaker used instead of the one from the earlier puppetmaster emails.

The puppetmaster emails used a code phrase about a specific SA poster (the one whose probation he was taking credit for); the DC leaker emails used a code phrase referencing an address in DC. This one is ostensibly a puppetmaster email, but it used the address code phrase. Meaning those two confessors are the same person.

I mean, I can't doxx him based on that tidbit or anything, I just thought it was ironic considering the content v:v:v

Anyway here's some friend drama

quote:

My best friend of five years called me the day after Christmas begging me to cosign on a huge loan She told me she's in debt to the mob and was being harassed at her place of work and that they know where she lives. This same friend is a compulsive gambler and I found out through a mutual friend that what really happened was she's a worse bookie than she is a gambler and really owes a bigger bookie. I felt betrayed and angry because she tried to sucker me into enabling her addiction and really was scared of not being able to gamble again. Upset and livid at her, I told her husband everything and now she says I'm dead to her. I told my friend from the beginning that her husband needs to know but after I found out she tried to sucker me I had no trust in her to do the right thing and felt it was important to let her husband know before her addiction ruined their financial situation and her self-destruction took them with her. But now I'm second guessing myself. I feel like I've potentially accelerated an already terrible situation and I also feel like a coward for going behind her back like that. Did I do the wrong thing?

So, bookies basically ARE mob, right? I don't do illegal gambling but as I understand it both of these people will break your kneecaps if you're in debt to them.

At any rate once someone like that is involved I think the situation is officially bigger than bros-before-hoes. Or, y'know, the gender-swapped equivalent. So yeah you're in the clear.

e: also as my best friend Kvothe the Bloodless once told me, "there are two sure ways to lose a friend; one is to borrow, the other to lend"

loquacius fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 30, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What's the female version of bros before hoes?

Can I suggest "sisters before misters"?

Anyway, here is my opinion on puppetmaster: Dude needs someone to "pull his strings" i.e get laid ASAP. That much investment in online power game shenanigans on a dead gay forum is not healthy.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Hopper posted:

Can I suggest "sisters before misters"?

Anyway, here is my opinion on puppetmaster: Dude needs someone to "pull his strings" i.e get laid ASAP. That much investment in online power game shenanigans on a dead gay forum is not healthy.

maybe i'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like someone else with a secret phrase (the dc weirdo) pretended to be the puppetmaster and loq now assumes they're the both person? :confused:

did the feshes all come from the same email loq?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hopper posted:

- broads before rods
- chicks before dicks
- girls before churls

"sisters before mistsers" doesn't have that negative connotation that the saying requires.