Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

juggalo baby coffin posted:

why is everyone so mad about the used car salesman thing, jesus

I thought it was a pretty funny gag, also I posted a meme that was literally this a while back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

The Saddest Robot posted:

I was watching a presentation from the some of the DICE artists and there was this slide.

I was going to make a line for star citizen but I have no idea how long it takes them to make an asset.

For fun let's consider the Javelin. It was introduced in November 2014 and probably first sold around that time. 1128 days ago.

This year there was an entire AtV episode dedicated to the asset and how they're working on it. That aired on April 14th, 2017. 259 days ago.

I'm pretty sure MoMA paid over a thousand bucks for a picture of one so he would know more.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 31, 2017

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The Saddest Robot posted:

I was watching a presentation from the some of the DICE artists and there was this slide.

I was going to make a line for star citizen but I have no idea how long it takes them to make an asset.

Start with the BF4 line, change "days" to "weeks", add a "sale" block at the front and a "refactor" block at the end, and repeat it indefinitely

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

juggalo baby coffin posted:

why is everyone so mad about the used car salesman thing, jesus
It's either because it goes beyond the comfort line for chris "animal charisma" roberts or because it is a bit tangential to the core discussion of chris roberts hasn't made a hit anything since 93

or I dunno maybe goons desire a conciliatory tone on some level

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the car salesman thing is a bit of a tangent, but it helps debunk the myth of Chris the legendary computer programmer who is also smart with money.

this isn't really a "kick Chris while he's down" thing either. everyone has to work and get cash, I don't think there's any judgement (from bootcha in his vid) associated with Chris' profession while not working on games - but the point is that he wasn't working on games. he wasn't busy boning up on current tech and industry trends. he wasn't busy learning how to do the best mocap the world's ever seen. he also wasn't living like a rockstar waiting to do a reunion tour, off wisely-managed money. he was doing normal joe stuff, trying to get by.

this thread knows the beating heart of star citizen's success is the myth of Chris Roberts. the backers have put their faith in the guy. I think understanding his position immediately prior to the crowdfunding is pretty essential.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

alf_pogs posted:

the car salesman thing is a bit of a tangent, but it helps debunk the myth of Chris the legendary computer programmer who is also smart with money.
I know it's not the intent, but ironically, when you think about it, a used-car rental salesman who can pull in $175 million in sales sounds like a pretty good used-car salesman.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

nnnotime posted:

I know it's not the intent, but ironically, when you think about it, a used-car rental salesman who can pull in $175 million in sales sounds like a pretty good used-car salesman.

right!?! I used to bitch and complain that I didn't understand how anyone could find Chris Roberts charismatic but then you look at the results... promising the world, under-delivering and yet still has an army of loyal internet warriors throwing money at him. I have accepted the mystery

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dusty Lens posted:

Clearly you've forgotten about the very serious and very important reality TV show "The Next Great Starship".
I’m actually going to watch this anew out of my surprise discovery that I really do dig Dan Gheesling. The zealot outcry against his involvement in the show because of his reality show past was, in hindsight, stupid and unfair. But he handled it with class.

The guy is a riot, his videos are better and more enjoyable than any other streamers, and his continuing enthusiasm for the game is unquestionable by now. So I will watch TNGS and mourn that the funny, goofy actual space sim fan got iced out by maladjusted neckbeards who didn’t want to see a guy with minor outside celebrity playing their game and (heaven forbid) possibly drawing in regular people to check out the game.

quote:

I'm nervous about hearing about marriages and divorces and other things that distract from the pure mountain spring of comedy that already flows through our lands.

Yeah, Chris and Sandi were apparently nervous, too. Why else keep it secret for three years? And they would’ve gotten away with it to if it was for that warlord and his meddlesome blog!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This is the worst, worst, WORST example of a kickstarter, and this entire debacle is Mighty No. 9 times a thousand. This is insane.

Keiji Inafune getting a crack at the video game industry and failing miserably pisses me off enough, but i grew up on poo poo like Wing Commander. I had no stake in Star Citizen, but it's hard to see who is in charge, but so out of touch, that they will never accomplish what they set out to do

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cast iron is the poo poo.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Bootcha posted:

Terrible decisions are a part of Chris Roberts history...

WHICH YOU CAN LEARN ABOUT IN THIS VIDEO WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8G8nHFQJo

very enjoyable so far

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

alf_pogs posted:

right!?! I used to bitch and complain that I didn't understand how anyone could find Chris Roberts charismatic but then you look at the results... promising the world, under-delivering and yet still has an army of loyal internet warriors throwing money at him. I have accepted the mystery
Is it really that hard to understand nostalgia is an incredibly powerful tool? That the buzz around kickstarter in 2012 was incredibly positive? And once in, the sunk cost drags the whales behind the failboat?

Put in other terms: Take Wing Commander off Chris Roberts resume and tell me how much you think this whole thing makes. Put another way: The Last Jedi made what Star Citizen has made in 5 years in 12 hours.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Bootcha posted:

There's a quite bit more to that story than what I mentioned, and it's a lot more depressing and sad. And more than two sources have confirmed most of the details of that sad unspoken tale.

What I said was consistent with what they said. However, yes, I should have explained that beat better.

I was looking for something not the whole sad story, not a casual "oh and here he's a car salesman", and not "oh and here he's a car salesman here's what I think about that". I'll have plenty of time for opinions soon enough.

are you getting into the gizmodo and nepotism etc and the terrible office dynamics? if you know what was the final pin for Rob and Eric, as they seemed liked decent people and tried unless there is more to the story. I know they went on to try decent but was it just the move to LA or was there more to it
??

intardnation fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 30, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Spiderdrake posted:

Is it really that hard to understand nostalgia is an incredibly powerful tool? That the buzz around kickstarter in 2012 was incredibly positive? And once in, the sunk cost drags the whales behind the failboat?

Put in other terms: Take Wing Commander off Chris Roberts resume and tell me how much you think this whole thing makes. Put another way: The Last Jedi made what Star Citizen has made in 5 years in 12 hours.

Another factor seldom touched on is that this happened in a climate where nearly the entire playerbase of frustrated MWO players that crowdfunded that tire fire jumped on board super early and began spitepledging to punish :pgi: plus how crobbler and co seized on and played into the collective cynicism from that period to maximum effect

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

nnnotime posted:

Well, when you think about it, a sewer cleaner who can pull in $175 million in sales sounds like a pretty good sewer cleaner.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The SC Kickstarter is literally the perfect example of right person, right place, right time. No one was skeptical of Kickstarters then, there was a lot more cynicism around PC gaming (I was very much a console gamer as were most people I know, now they're all PC people), and Chris Roberts arrived on scene with a pitch perfect, uh, pitch to practically hack the brains of every agitated, frustrated PC gamer who saw it.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Loiosh posted:

I'm so very glad the worst thing I've done is spent money on JPEGs (and watch too much anime). Also, hi everyone.

Things have been good. The startup I joined was successful and sold off, and weight loss is still going well. I still haven't played SC since 2.0.

hey it's this guy. Glad to hear you're well

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

iospace posted:

Cast iron is the poo poo.

Cast iron is the terms of service

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Star Citizen: WE KNOW!! CIG KNOWS!!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

Yeah, Chris and Sandi were apparently nervous, too. Why else keep it secret for three years? And they would’ve gotten away with it to if it was for that warlord and his meddlesome blog!

Yeah then children.

I'm on board with the idea that you absolutely cannot peel apart Star Citizen without getting elbow deep into the cult of personality. There's no getting around that poo poo during this particular autopsy. In may ways that is the autopsy. The topic of Sandi and the scope of her role in this, potentially to the point of playing an instrumental role in pushing things in the direction it's currently coasting, with a major turning point being observable in the casting aside of Eric Peterson and Co. in favor of the Santa Monica limelight and eternal cash drive. That they're hitched and there are unseemly questions concerning to what degree Star Citizen was turned into a personal piggy bank floating about is absolutely central to this whole thing. As much so as any examination of shady dealings and contract breaches. But then the question of how that relates to marriages and personal lives comes up and I'm suddenly uncertain of what discussion is warranted and what's creepy warlord nonsense.

Mostly because I'm an enormous pussy and I don't particularly like meanness crossing some vague boundary that shifts with the twanging heartbeat of my own shitpost to shitpost hypocrisy. So I'm all about shoveling popcorn while watching someone pull out all the major organs to put together a cause of death but I get squeamish if suddenly someone's diddling the corpse.

But Bootcha is a better person than I am so I'm not particularly worried.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

trucutru posted:

Well, when you think about it, a sewer cleaner who can pull in $175 million in sales sounds like a pretty good sewer cleaner.

Star Citizen: Fatberg's Day Out

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

With all the marine biologists abound why isn't there a :barreleyepop:?

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
a fish has better cockpit visibility than any of the ships

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

Considering it made slightly more than 100k in the box office , its even more funny

That´s like, what, 6000-7000 people? Really that many?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Bootcha posted:

Terrible decisions are a part of Chris Roberts history...

WHICH YOU CAN LEARN ABOUT IN THIS VIDEO WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8G8nHFQJo

Gizmondo?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Genuinely if you run a used car sales business you are probably pulling in more money than the vast majority of lead game developers.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Does anyone have that picture of Sandi after just learning she was cut from american satan, and her look of absolute murder? I can't find it in highlights/recap

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Actually, it is at the tail end of Oct Set 2.

Scruffpuff posted:

Sandi Gardiner, "actress", being nixed 100% from her tour de force as "Vic's Mom" is the most delicious ending of the #actress #Hollywood saga that I can possibly imagine.

She hitched her wagon to Chris Roberts (again) and this project specifically to pad her IMDB profile, use backer money to create reel after reel of useless self-promotion, stand shoulder-to-shoulder with actual acting professionals, and get her face and name on a promotional poster with top billing alongside them. This is what it was all for - this, to Sandi Gardiner, was the full purpose of Star Citizen.

And this is how it ends. Not with a bang, nor a whimper, nor even a PAARP.

It ended with nothing.

Sandi Gardiner wasn't even good enough for a straight-to-the-trashbin release of a poo poo-tier film. Imagine being that bad. That in a film that's cringe-worthy from beginning to end, somewhere along the line, the editor and director sat in the room together and thought, "We have to cut that one. She's dragging the whole thing down."

That's like walking into an open cesspit and pointing out a particularly aromatic turd.

It's a beautiful analogy to Star Citizen itself - which will end in precisely the same way - simple nonexistence.

I couldn't have imagined a better ending.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Fud army hate machine boner goon

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Mods please change my name to "42 Word Long Catchphrase" and I'm not joking in the slightest.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

The Titanic posted:

You’re lumping too many people together, but that’s ok too.

To you it’s clearly a scam, to others it’s clearly not a scam.

People talk poo poo about people on both sides. Hell, the “good side” has internet famous crazy person Derek Smart on its side. It’s not hard to see the good and bad, and the huge grey area in between. Like the thousands of Star Citizen supporters who don’t post on reddit or twitter.

I totally agree with you though that it’s a scam and I also agree that people who “wake up” will be happier and laugh at it better, but I’m not dumb enough to think everybody who disagrees with that concept is also some kind of different person when they pick on people.

Now there are people who go waaaaay the hell overboard, but goons have had our issues as well.

Being “I know it’s a scam” doesn’t automatically give anybody more rights to pick on another person.

I think you’re a super cool poster though so I hope I didn’t get your ire now. I just try to tiptoe the line. :)

Your post nails the underlying problem with most western societies in general. Once upon a time you'd have left, centrist, right. Now it seems to be left or right. And if you try and be a centrist both sides look at you with suspicion.
I'm still a backer in SC and I still believe 'something' will be released. It's going to be nothing like anyone imagines, lol, as Star Citizen or SQ42. That includes CIG. I can imagine the scene from Young Frankenstein , with CR playing Gene Wilder, when "it's" released.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Rugganovich posted:

Your post nails the underlying problem with most western societies in general. Once upon a time you'd have left, centrist, right. Now it seems to be left or right. And if you try and be a centrist both sides look at you with suspicion.
I'm still a backer in SC and I still believe 'something' will be released. It's going to be nothing like anyone imagines, lol, as Star Citizen or SQ42. That includes CIG. I can imagine the scene from Young Frankenstein , with CR playing Gene Wilder, when "it's" released.

i think the sensible, moderate centrist thing to do is probably get a refund

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...
I wonder how many spite pledges have been made. I mean... You got to be pretty hosed up to go "gently caress Derek Smart and all those idiot goons! I'll throw another $100 in the pit just to show them!!!"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
To: The intern reading this thread
From: Your friends and diligent researchers at SomethingAwful
Subject: File Under: Possibly Useful Pull Quotes (if worse comes to worst)

quote:

Of Kings And Men - to be delisted with immediate effect

DECEMBER 20 - DAVID - GREEN MAN GAMING

Closing Statement

It is with great sadness that we must inform you that Of Kings and Men has been removed from sale on Steam and all other retailers and that further development of the game has ceased. Consequently, the official servers are no long active.

Despite the very best efforts of some wonderfully talented developers, Of Kings And Men has not attracted a large enough audience to sustain further development. We are grateful for each and every player who picked up a sword, polearm or crossbow in the game, who fought in conquest, who battled for chests in the Arena, or joined a clan in Militari. We salute you and thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support and feedback.

So what now?

The good news is that the game will not simply disappear. Instead, we we are going to release one last update - the Community Edition Update. This will hand everything over to you, our community of fans. The Community Edition Update will deliver the following:
  • Your game will continue to be available to download from Steam
  • You will be able to host your own server and run any mode you want
  • Control some of the settings of the game for players connected to that server
  • A new map editor allowing you to edit existing maps, create new ones, run them on your own server or share them with others
  • Deathmatch mode will also be turned back on, which was only previously available pre-release. This will enable you to fight against bots in a free-for-all environment.

Documentation on this will be provided in the final update notes.

The game's roots lie in its community driven efforts, being born from a mod and eventually transitioning to a full game, standing on its own. The community edition in some part will return the game to its heritage and the community, who can continue enjoying it even after the sun has set.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Fangrim posted:

I wonder how many spite pledges have been made. I mean... You got to be pretty hosed up to go "gently caress Derek Smart and all those idiot goons! I'll throw another $100 in the pit just to show them!!!"

You got to be pretty hosed up to still have $100 (or $1) still in this shitshow in the first place.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

G0RF posted:

To: The intern reading this thread
From: Your friends and diligent researchers at SomethingAwful
Subject: File Under: Possibly Useful Pull Quotes (if worse comes to worst)

The comments on this are like staring into SC's future.

WHERE'S MY MONEY!! REFUND NOW!!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's a new year. Let's bring everyone really down. thatguy suggested this parody and suppled most of the lyrics.

* lyrics by thatguy with additions/changes by ewe2
* Fitter Happer made today would just be a treated scream.
* happy 2018 buster.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

The comments on this are like staring into SC's future.

WHERE'S MY MONEY!! REFUND NOW!!

And that's just people paying regular video game money.

e: it's really grim to think about and I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't be surprised to find one day post failure that someone working on the game has been tracked down and killed by a disgruntled backer.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 30, 2017

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh God I miss him. His episode from the 4th season was probably the best.

-MY GOD!
-Yes, I suppose I am!

I have the book "Black Adder - The whole drat dynasty"
https://www.amazon.com/Blackadder-Whole-Dynasty-Richard-Curtis/dp/0140280359

If you love your curtis/elton humour, a must have book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Alchenar posted:

And that's just people paying regular video game money.

e: it's really grim to think about and I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't be surprised to find one day post failure that someone working on the game has been tracked down and killed by a disgruntled backer.

It's why I said that I'm legitimately :ohdear: about remembering, how some of the exact shitizen names that still remain 'jokingly' said they'd crowdfund assassins to hunt down Crobblers, if they ever felt he failed to deliver.