Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i tried kaiserreich and i looked at the focus trees and left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

it might become a paid mod too lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Honestly with the new update coming with decisions and stuff the loving retarded bloated focus trees might be trimmed.

might

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

it might become a paid mod too lol

the bloat is honestly not the worst part of kaiserreich focus trees, the worst part is they are railroaded crap and the text is vague as hell so there is no way to plan out your country because there are a million things that say like "requires December 21 1938 -- you do some historical stuff in our fictional continuity but watch out because Some other group of people Might not like it..."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, after 500 hours of CK2 I somehow lucked out and successfully completed the immortality event chain, for the first time! (It also fired on my 18y/o king - so not even on an old person, which is supposed to be far more likely, from memory) Although the problem is, I was actively trying to have this guy killed off, (so that his genius sister would inherit) so I kinda didn't want him to be immortal to be honest, haha :D

Still; it'll add an interesting element to the game, so I'll definitely continue playing without having him commit suicide. Especially since he's already led an interesting life - since after his genius sister was born when he was ten, his mother (my character, at that point) performed a demonic possession on him, which gave him the 'possessed' trait and made him loyal to her. Then, during his education in the following couple of years, he became ambitious and had an intense rivalry with his mother. (Still had single-digit positive relations with her/me, due to the possession)
At this point the rivalry apparently allowed his mother to perform the 'tainted touch' ritual on him, which I had hoped would result in him contracting the plague. However a night or two after I performed the ritual, his mother heard a cackling from behind her, then turned around and was stabbed by him! Her ten year old kid! So then he inherited the throne (with an opinion malus, as he was a suspect in the murder) and got over the (unfortunately mild) fever I afflicted him with.
So yeah, then this possessed teenager suddenly decided to become immortal, then after succeeding he abducted and sacrificed the woman who aided him on his quest to Satan. (Who also became immortal, as that was part of the original deal. "There can be only one", after all) After that I left the Satanic cult I was a member of, mostly due to all the negative health traits you get, which would probably make being an immortal horrible, after getting a load of them over the next hundred years. So yeah, looks like I've got an interesting century or so ahead of me, with this madman of a king! (Who has nearly all the bad traits...)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, my immortal king Haraldr has had quite the life, so far! So much so that I've decided to keep a list of some of the more notable things that he's done thus far.

- Had dark rituals performed on him as a child, by his mother; the then-reigning queen. (The first was to have him possessed by a demon, which worked. The second was to make him terribly ill, which partially failed. He experienced a minor cough, which lasted many decades.)
- After his mind was virtually destroyed, he snuck up on his mother and stabbed her to death (while cackling gleefully) at the age of ten.
- Upon coming of age, he joined the Satanic cult his mother was previously a member of, and started rising through the ranks.
- At the age of eighteen he decided he needed to become immortal, and sought out the aid of a mystic.
- Succeeded in finding what is believed to be the Garden of Eden and shared an apple with the mystic who helped him, granting immortality to them both. (In addition to pushing boulders out of the way, he made the best speech of his life to persuade the knights with him that he deserved immortality and that they shouldn't have it instead...despite all of his stats and traits being god-awful)
- After triumphantly returning home, he abducted the now-immortal mystic and sacrificed her to Satan, as a parting gift before leaving the cult.
- Joined the hermetic society and quickly became their leader.
- Raised a runestone with a prophecy that everyone will be killed by the demon lord (named Xuhmalz of the Realm of Zulmarakh) who possesses him, in a thousand years' time. (Shortly after this he became known as "Haraldr the Bewitched")
- Had a pyramid built in honour of his dead dog.
- Converted to and from Catholicism and its various heresies dozens of times.
- United England and participated in a successful crusade for Italy(!!).
- Realized he's gay and had a long-lasting relationship with the Pope, among other bishops and prominent figures.
- Built a large, secret laboratory located on a tiny private island.
- Successfully killed the White Stag after a 110-120 year pursuit. (FINALLY I could be satisfied and change my focus!)
- Became multilingual and discovered that the world is round, in addition to writing several books. (He also invented and built two early portable guns/handcannons as well as a radius astronomicus/early sextant thing)
- Became enemies with his former apprentice, (from the hermetic society. They were also formerly lovers) then imprisoned him and took his skull for a trophy when he inevitably died.
- Contracted the bubonic plague three times (recovering each time) as well as cancer.
- Encountered (and befriended) Death himself, who injured Haraldr and caused him to lose an eye. However in the process of this, Death (apparently inadvertently) cured Haraldr of his cancer. This occurred because Haraldr (who by rights should've died long ago) inadvertently interfered with the natural course of the plague, as he prevented many people from dying by allowing them to seek refuge in his castle - whereas they should've been dead in their homes by now, so Death came to Haraldr's castle to claim their souls.
- Became a werewolf, killing several pigs as well as some random lowborn courtier.
- Regrew his lost eye due to the power of Satan.
- Was excommunicated (and later forgiven) twice by the same Pope.
- Had the demons beaten out of him by a priest, allowing him to finally lose the "possessed" trait. (However, Jesus still gives him military advice, even after this)
- Killed a fellow Immortal in a duel. (Completely underwhelming, too; since my character just lunged at the guy and cut his hand and then his head off, within the first seconds of the duel. I was expecting a proper fight!)
- Personally dealt with a castle revolt, after armed peasants snuck into his castle (which was sealed, as this was during a disease outbreak) and tried taking over. Didn't even call for his guards or get dressed; just jumped out of bed, grabbed his sword and started cutting down peasant after peasant.
- Abducted and imprisoned a vassal who hated him (mainly due to my character killing his father) after the aforementioned vassal started getting suspicious about my character potentially being immortal, after reigning for 200 years. He has now died in prison, and as a result nobody else suspects Haraldr of being immortal...yet.
- Contracted cancer a second time before recovering on his own, without medical attention.
- Built a huge ballista with the aid of his marshal, which he mounted atop the keep in his capital.
- Grew tired of the hermetic society and joined the Dominican Order, before eventually becoming its leader.
- Participated in an unsuccessful crusade (with his armies remaining undefeated on the battlefield, however) for Jerusalem. During which, he sacked Jerusalem and looted a beautiful, incredibly well-made sword from the Sunni Caliph himself; the "Scimitar of Fortune", which was known to bestow good luck to he who wields it.
- Was invited to a local bishopric to celebrate the recovery of a holy relic - the seamless robe of Jesus Christ, himself...then decided that (as he is such an important and pious figure) it would be better if he possessed it, before successfully stealing it and displaying the robe in his own castle.
- Forced his idiot son Halfdan (who's only trait is "dull"!) to join the Knights of Calatrava...he then became their well-respected Grandmaster not long after, at the age of 19. There he remained until his death decades later at the age of 60, after becoming known as "the Butcher". He died a drunk, after losing a hand, an eye and with a horribly disfigured face.
- Forced Scotland, Ireland and France into being tributary states. (But only for his lifetime...joke's on them though, seeing as he's immortal!)
- Had a giant statue of himself constructed in his capital; Jorvik. (Presumably next to the pyramid he had built for his dog)
- Successfully abducted and/or murdered around 15-20 of his descendants (not even great grandchildren; they're at least five generations down the line!) without being detected, so that his youngest son will inherit. This was required due to shonky inheritance laws that I can't change. Among those killed were around 6-8 kids, a few were counts and dukes, along with a husband+wife duo (who were also cousins) who led armies alongside Haraldr himself, during the lengthy Italian Crusade. The final target/'pretender' eluded his assassins and lived in hiding for years; however when Haraldr finally got the chance, he bought a lot of snakes instead of just one (not sure how many, but it was over 1000g worth) and had someone put them all into the target's room at night. He died screaming, being bitten over and over again.
- After the succession was secured (see above) he imprisoned the mastermind schemer, who had made it his life's work to assist greatly with Haraldr's murders. (He put around ~200% plot power into each of the murders over around 30 years. He was essentially hand-picked and groomed for the position since his early teens, living until the age of 47) This was to ensure that Haraldr's decades-long conspiracy would never be made public. He later died a natural death in his cell; as he was spared the oubliette, due to his services to the crown.
- Searched (with the help of his spymaster) and eventually found the preserved head of a saint, which is now proudly displayed in his castle, alongside a magnificent silk Chinese shroud which he looted from the mosque at Jerusalem (same place that I stole the Scimitar of Fortune from) in the second crusade for Jerusalem.
- Was granted the Kingdom of Jerusalem itself by the Pope, due to his relatively minor contributions early in the second crusade for Jerusalem. Then vassalized the Knights Templar and the Knights of St John, after allowing them to build castles throughout the Holy Land.
- Sent off one of his lovers (along with one of the two handcannons he built years ago) to China to serve the Emperor as a eunuch, in exchange for a gold Xia sculpture.
- Became best friends with the Sunni Caliph after the crusades, and became extremely depressed for a time, after the Caliph died of old age, decades later.
- Held four grand tournaments during his reign, where during each of them an extraordinarily large amount of people died during the events.
- Attempted to prevent his 65 year old great granddaughter from murdering her rival; his genius 40 year old granddaughter (who was also steward of the realm) but was too late, as the wheels had already been set in motion and she was killed the following day. However the 65 year old plotter died a natural death the very next day, so he was unable to arrest her.
- Botched an assassination attempt on Ghengis Khan Temujin himself, after hearing of the atrocities he committed from a Chinese refugee. (Temujin died a natural death not long after however, so a second attempt was not possible)
- Secretly converted to Islam after discussing the Quran at length with a courtier, then sought out and joined the infamous Assassins.
- Celebrated his 300th birthday by holding a grand feast in Jerusalem, (with a large fair happening, in the lead-up) before later that evening meeting with the assassin Grand Master, who had abducted Haraldr's Christian granddaugher for him to kill, as his final test before entering the brotherhood.
- Became Grand Master of the Assassins in a little over four years after being initiated into their ranks. (Blackmailing the previous leader helped, as that allowed me to rank up early)
- Bolstered the number of Assassin members, after all but two (himself and some random courtier, who was also King Haraldr's lover) were wiped out during the Mongol incursions into the Middle East/Arabian region.
- Abducted (with the aid of his Assassins) a German Count by the name of Sotan, who was widely regarded as being the son of Satan himself. Then after twelve years of confinement in the oubliette, Sotan was executed by means of a snake pit, in the same fashion that his great-great-great-grandfather Ragnarr Lodbrok had died.
- Killed two reigning Queens and captured one King within a five-year timeframe, while personally leading a small army looting and pillaging Scotland. During which, he led and won battles against armies over twice the size of his. (He also imprisoned half a dozen other Scots, along with stealing a fortune in gold, a strange chest and a shiny purple '+2 axe')
- Recruited a skilled Chinese Taoist (who was a sympathizer of Islam) named Yanchang to the Assassins...whose final task before being initiated was to execute Haraldr's own wife. After this, he was officially made an assassin and the two of them quickly became lovers.
- Later found a key to the strange chest, which he then opened. He shut his eyes due to a bright light and heard the screams of his nearby guards, as they died. Realizing that this chest is the Ark of the Covenant itself, he buried it on his secret island, so that it would (hopefully) never be found...
- Befriended and inducted the Shia Caliph into the Assassin Order, before offering vassalization to the Caliph, (who accepted) due to him being threatened by the larger Sunni powers in the region.
- Participated in the successful Crusade for Leon (capturing and burning 24 Sunnis at the stake, after taking the capital) before being granted the Kingdom by the Pope himself, for his many pious contributions to the Crusade.
- Indoctrinated his young son into the Shia faith, before extending an invitation to join the Assassins on his 16th birthday, which he accepted...with his initiation involving the ritual murder of his own heathen mother.
- After the death of his most recent wife above, Haraldr held an imperial marriage with the attractive and skilled daughter of the Chinese Emperor. (Who is his tenth wife, now)
- Spent years of his time and a fortune in gold on a fruitless pursuit for an 'ancient relic'; which cost him the lives of four highly-skilled Spymasters, who met their end in various accidents. (Including his own daughter, who drowned in a lake.)
- While embarking on a Crusade for Anatolia, (which he won and was granted the title of) he caught syphilis/great pox and came down with a severe case of scurvy, after a mere two days at sea.
- After returning from the successful Crusade for Anatolia, he found that he contracted the bubonic plague (for the fourth time now) while away and was promptly excommunicated from the Catholic church...twice. Furthermore, while he was experiencing a harsh fever due to the plague, his mind snapped and he became completely insane.
- When his lover Suleyman (the Shia Caliph) died, Haraldr unexpectedly inherited the Caliphate itself. In the following days (after receiving the beautiful Yuan artwork he also inherited) he grieved by abusing the Assassin Order's hashish many times over, which resulted in him becoming addicted and hurling himself out of his castle's window at night in a drug-fueled frenzy; thankfully waking up and finding himself in a hay bale.
- Promoted his beloved horse Glitterhoof to be his Chancellor, before sharing some of his immortal blood with her so that they can be friends forever...After which, he granted her the title 'Master of the Horse' and had highly expensive, high-quality armour made for her. (As people are no doubt conspiring to assassinate such an important pillar of the kingdom)
- Through an extended period of repeated drug abuse, his mind was weakened enough for him to be possessed by demons once more, (Presumably by Xuhmalz; the demon his mother originally had him possessed by) followed by contracting cancer yet again.
- Declared the wearing of pants to be illegal, much to the chagrin of his council.
- Several years after becoming possessed again, not only did the hashish cure his syphilis and cancer, he also regained his sanity and any hint of possession before eventually kicking his drug addiction.
- After yet another relic hunt, his Chancellor returned home with the foreskin of Jesus Christ himself, which is now proudly displayed alongside Jesus' robe in Haraldr's castle.
- After his tenth wife (a daughter of the Chinese Emperor) died of old age Haraldr became extremely depressed, as the years of their marriage were among the best of his life. He tried to get over his depression and feelings for his wife the only way he knew how...a drug-fueled night of wenching. However unfortunately, during the night's activities, Haraldr fell out of bed and hit his head hard on the ground, becoming incapable. When his friends and relatives came to see him over the following days, he begged his best friend and Marshal, his great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson Robert (who was the power-hungry Jarl of Cornwall, Mercia, Kent, Wessex, Powys and East Anglia...his 'drive' is what Haraldr admired in him, I suppose) to end his suffering - which he did, by strangling Haraldr to death. Haraldr's great grandson, Jedvard the Bear (who was also a direct descendant of a Khan of the Mongol Empire) inherited the realm, along with the monumental task of filling Haraldr's shoes.

EDIT:

Major Isoor posted:

Well, as of the 16th November 1354, Haraldr the Bewitched King of England, Anatolia, Scotland, Jerusalem, Castille and Leon, has finally died at the ripe old age of 419, after siring twenty-seven children (however only one out-lived him) with ten wives. He died doing what he loved; having an orgy while high on drugs. It was also discovered the following morning that his trusty immortal steed Glitterhoof had died in her sleep at the age of 50 in her luxury suite, after someone noticed that she had failed to attend to her duties as Master of the Horse and Commander of the English army, that day.

Haraldr accomplished quite a lot, during his lifetime. Not only did he become the leader of the Hermetic Society, Dominican Order and Brotherhood of Assassins, he also invented one of the first European firearms (gifting a prototype to the Chinese Emperor, even) and penned several books; one major work on the topic of astronomy, another chronicling his family, another following his own life specifically, another more detailed book about his hunt for the white stag, along with a couple of other minor works, including a book on mixing drinks.
Additionally though, he also sought out and/or stumbled upon a lot of relics in his lifetime. For example he recovered a nail of the true cross, along with Jesus' seamless robe, Jesus' foreskin as well as the Ark of the Covenant. (Among others)

Although King Jedvard the Bear is a brawny genius, I feel that it's gonna be a rough transition, to say the least! I'll keep playing to the end of course, (especially as I'm so close to it, anyway) but drat it's gonna feel weird, without having an immortal king that everyone loves, at the helm. Still, 404 years of Haraldr's rule certainly seems long enough!
Also, here's the map so far. The most noteworthy thing to happen recently is that the Wendish Emperor usurped the Byzantine throne, so they're currently a super-empire. Quite powerful, although I don't expect them to last, as they have been having a lot of internal dramas. (Which were helped along by Haraldr sowing dissent, naturally)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 10, 2018

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Major Isoor posted:

Well, my immortal king Haraldr has had quite the life, so far! So much so that I've decided to keep a list of some of the more notable things that he's done thus far.

- After gaining the throne (through murdering his mother, as mentioned in the post above) he joined the hermetic society and quickly became their leader.
- Raised a runestone with a prophecy that everyone will die in a thousand years.
- Realized he's gay and had a long-lasting relationship with the Pope, among other bishops and prominent figures.
- Successfully killed the White Stag after a 110-120 year pursuit. (FINALLY I could be satisfied and change my focus!)
- Became multilingual and discovered that the world is round, in addition to writing several books. (He also invented and built two early portable guns/handcannons as well as a radius astronomicus/early sextant thing)
- Became enemies with his former apprentice, (from the hermetic society. They were also formerly lovers) then imprisoned him and took his skull for a trophy when he inevitably died.
- Contracted the bubonic plague three times (recovering each time) as well as cancer.
- Encountered (and survived) Death himself, who injured Haraldr and caused him to lose an eye. However in the process of this, Death (apparently inadvertently) cured Haraldr of his cancer.
- Became a werewolf.

I'm sure I've missed a heap of other things that he's done in his ~150 years, but I'll try and remember to update this if I remember. (As well as with anything else that happens to him)

It's been too long since I played CK2

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I hope you can turn off the fantasy AIDS.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wormskull posted:

You can, it’s one of the rules you can adjust before each game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Supernatural events are optional yes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

- After gaining the throne (through murdering his mother, as mentioned in the post above) he joined the hermetic society and quickly became their leader.
- Raised a runestone with a prophecy that everyone will die in a thousand years.
- Encountered (and survived) Death himself, who injured Haraldr and caused him to lose an eye. However in the process of this, Death (apparently inadvertently) cured Haraldr of his cancer.
- Became a werewolf.

I'm sure I've missed a heap of other things that he's done in his ~150 years, but I'll try and remember to update this if I remember. (As well as with anything else that happens to him)

How did the pope enter into a gay relationship, that's cool

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the pope's taken dude

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The pope chute

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

How did the pope enter into a gay relationship, that's cool

Oh, he was also part of the hermetic society, and I got an event where the two of you are studying and became friends. (Which seeing as my character is gay, I seemed to have the option to make him gay too)
Seems to be a pretty powerful event really, as I've had it a fair few times and I've never seen it fail!

EDIT: Also, he's just regrown his lost eye, due to the power of Satan! Quite happy with that; since I was worried that he'd end up with a lost eye, hand and leg from fights, etc. before eventually kicking the bucket.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 31, 2017

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

(Which seeing as my character is gay, I seemed to have the option to make him gay too)

Lmao

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Major Isoor posted:

(Which seeing as my character is gay, I seemed to have the option to make him gay too)

This is what Michele Bachmann warned me about

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

They're turnin' the freakin Popes gay!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Munchables posted:

They're turnin' the freakin Popes gay!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, he was also part of the hermetic society, and I got an event where the two of you are studying and became friends. (Which seeing as my character is gay, I seemed to have the option to make him gay too)
Seems to be a pretty powerful event really, as I've had it a fair few times and I've never seen it fail!

EDIT: Also, he's just regrown his lost eye, due to the power of Satan! Quite happy with that; since I was worried that he'd end up with a lost eye, hand and leg from fights, etc. before eventually kicking the bucket.

okay god drat it i'm installing ck2 again. i thought i was finally done with it after 300+ hours but i guess not

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

a7m2 posted:

okay god drat it i'm installing ck2 again. i thought i was finally done with it after 300+ hours but i guess not

haha yeah, I thought that too - but here I am, sitting comfortably on 500+ hours! :D
Easily my most played game on Steam, by over 100 hours...seems crazy to me about how much time I've sunk into CK2, when most of my most-played games are only around 100-200 hours or so. (With a few exceptions, like R6: Siege)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

EU4 now has focus trees (sorta)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-23rd-of-january-2018.1066296/

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i wish they’d just make ck3 and eu5 instead of constantly tinkering around the edges. i think that now that it’s been around for a few years, the paradox dlc model has been detrimental overall.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The sheer amount of tweaks and balances they've now placed behind paywalls has made me absolutely not give a poo poo about anything they ever announce

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

army professionalism and army tradition should be the same thing. also i feel like the ages stuff and the new mission stuff should be two parts of the same thing soemhow

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the worst part is if they end up making eu5 in 10 years time you know that people will be mad if they don’t include worthless features like the chinese tributary system or the ottoman pasha system (lol).

they’ve made it almost impossible to make a sequel because they’ll have to throw out so much poo poo from the previous game that it’ll look like a backwards step.

e: on the plus side ireland has like 20 provinces now. great

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BBJoey posted:

the worst part is if they end up making eu5 in 10 years time you know that people will be mad if they don’t include worthless features like the chinese tributary system or the ottoman pasha system (lol).

they’ve made it almost impossible to make a sequel because they’ll have to throw out so much poo poo from the previous game that it’ll look like a backwards step.

e: on the plus side ireland has like 20 provinces now. great

The province changes to the British Isles make perfect sense imo

e: but yeah, a lot of recent additions have seemed pointless/unbalanced.

Professionalism/tradition should be the same thing, as someone said.

Army drilling is just a one more button you need to remember to press between wars.

Age bonuses are often completely irrelevant/unattainable to non-European nations, even great powers. The Age of Absolutism is pretty awful in this respect. If you're playing a Western Europe style game w/ typical blobbing and colonization, you're golden. Otherwise, you might as well ignore it.

Likewise, Institutions that are basically guaranteed to spawn in Europe (like Printing Press) and take fifty years to spread are horseshit. The dozens of marginal stratagems to boost institution spread in your non-European country amount to fiddly busywork (province development, state edicts, policies, absurd snake-borders, no-CB wars to take provinces in/near Europe) and consume inordinate amounts of your attention.

The sailor meter doesn't add anything to the game. Some nations can completely ignore it, others are simply held to an invisible, lower navy force limit. And it's ahistorical. If you ran out of sailors, you pressed some peasants, raided foreign coasts for galley slaves, bought or hired them from foreign ports. Was not a big deal to find rope-pullers for your floating prison.

Absolutism is overpowered and has made a lot of more interesting governments garbage in comparison to basic-rear end despotic monarchies.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 24, 2018

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

- Built a large, secret laboratory located on a tiny private island.
- Became a werewolf.
- Regrew his lost eye due to the power of Satan.
- Was excommunicated (and later forgiven) twice by the same Pope.
- Had the demons beaten out of him by a priest, allowing me to finally lose the "possessed" trait. (However, Jesus still gives him military advice, even after this)
- Killed a fellow Immortal in a duel. (Completely underwhelming, too; since my character just lunged at the guy and cut his hand and then his head off, within the first seconds of the duel. I was expecting a proper fight!)
- Personally dealt with a castle revolt, after armed peasants snuck into his castle (which was sealed, as this was during a disease outbreak) and tried taking over. Didn't even call for his guards or get dressed; just jumped out of bed, grabbed his sword and started cutting down peasant after peasant.
- Abducted and imprisoned a vassal who hated him (mainly due to my character killing his father) after the aforementioned vassal started getting suspicious about my character potentially being immortal, after reigning for 200 years. He has now died in prison, and as a result nobody else suspects Haraldr of being immortal...yet.
- Contracted cancer a second time before recovering on his own, without medical attention.

I'm sure I've missed a heap of other things that he's done in his 150250+ years, but I'll try and remember to update this if I remember. (As well as with anything else that happens to him)

This is loving awesome!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish I could freeze EU4 at whenever it was they added institutions. I like institutions a lot.

E: I assume eventually theyll add theck2 thing where you can just toggle all the mechanics and play whatever version of the game you want.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I wish I could freeze EU4 at whenever it was they added institutions. I like institutions a lot.

E: I assume eventually theyll add theck2 thing where you can just toggle all the mechanics and play whatever version of the game you want.

You can download older versions at least

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Evil Eagle posted:

You can download older versions at least

Trouble is, the recent map changes are great. The new Muslim governments are great. The best changes are direct improvements to the existing map or existing systems, and they're worth putting up with the bloat. But I'm really goddamn tired of piling on between 1 and 12 new abstract metrics (remember estates?) to manage with every major patch.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This is loving awesome!

Why thank you! He's certainly had a much more interesting life that I would've expected - even for an immortal! :D I've added to my earlier post again (starting to turn into a real wall of text, now...sorry about that) with some more shenanigans from the campaign last night.

He's currently a bit over 270 years old. I think I might kill him off once he hits 300. Probably get him to go into hiding, then commit suicide, (/headcanon fake his own death) so it's a "his body was never found...is he even dead??" kind of mystery/situation.
(I'd love to be able to abdicate and change over to playing one of his kids while my immortal king stays alive, but everyone loves him so much! I haven't had a negative vassal opinion or any factions whatsoever in at least a hundred years.)

at the date posted:

Trouble is, the recent map changes are great. The new Muslim governments are great. The best changes are direct improvements to the existing map or existing systems, and they're worth putting up with the bloat. But I'm really goddamn tired of piling on between 1 and 12 new abstract metrics (remember estates?) to manage with every major patch.

Yeah, I really wish you could just scrap estates. I mean, they're allllllriiiight and I don't mind playing with them most of the time, but sometimes I just really don't want to put up with the hassle of them. (But as you said, all the other changes have been great, so rolling EU4 back is just straight-up not worthwhile, sadly)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

estates have a lot of promise but because they’re a dlc feature they’ll never get updated.

i have a vague idea that estates could be what charts the progress of your country from a feudal state in 1444 to an absolute monarchy in the 19th century. poland-lithuania would be weak and difficult to rule not because of random arbitrary events, but due to the overwhelming strength of the nobility estate compared to the crown - the player would need to carefully keep the nobility appeased while stripping away their power if they wanted to succeed where the real commonwealth collapsed. sweden and prussia would be strong powers not because of good national ideas, but because they effectively curtailed the power of the estates and consolidated authority in the long.

maybe for eu5? who knows

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

estates have a lot of promise but because they’re a dlc feature they’ll never get updated.

i have a vague idea that estates could be what charts the progress of your country from a feudal state in 1444 to an absolute monarchy in the 19th century. poland-lithuania would be weak and difficult to rule not because of random arbitrary events, but due to the overwhelming strength of the nobility estate compared to the crown - the player would need to carefully keep the nobility appeased while stripping away their power if they wanted to succeed where the real commonwealth collapsed. sweden and prussia would be strong powers not because of good national ideas, but because they effectively curtailed the power of the estates and consolidated authority in the long.

maybe for eu5? who knows

Ah, yeah that's a good idea - it'll be interesting if they do eventually implement something like that, in either EU4 or EU5. (If/when that happens in ten years' time)
I think you're right though; I mean, Paradox DID release two Native American/RNW DLC packs instead of just updating the slightly-shoddy original one, so I doubt they're going to overhaul/improve estates sufficiently to align with what you suggested. (Unless of course they believe they can wrangle some more DLC money out of us for it, I suppose!)

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
MEIOU and Taxes does a pretty cool thing with estates where they have privileges that you need to slowly revoke in exchange for stability loss. It makes estates a fun and real threat, but also a boon because they siphon a % of your income based on their influence. They keep this money in an account that they invest into their provinces. So it's a balancing act whether you want to centralize control or cede privileges for stability and trade-off bonuses.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Average Bear posted:

MEIOU and Taxes does a pretty cool thing with estates where they have privileges that you need to slowly revoke in exchange for stability loss. It makes estates a fun and real threat, but also a boon because they siphon a % of your income based on their influence. They keep this money in an account that they invest into their provinces. So it's a balancing act whether you want to centralize control or cede privileges for stability and trade-off bonuses.

I liked the Imperium Universalis version where it has estates for slaves and populations of different culture groups than yours

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

meiou auto assigns estates right. and is it still just states or is it all your provinces

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Plutonis posted:

I liked the Imperium Universalis version where it has estates for slaves and populations of different culture groups than yours

That sounds pretty cool too. I forgot that MEIOU also replaces development with a pop system of upper, bourgeois, and peasant class pops. A perfect upgrade for EU5 would be to use this and give each pop a culture, religion, and estate affiliation.

oddium posted:

meiou auto assigns estates right. and is it still just states or is it all your provinces

It's just states.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

estates are alright with me but i really hate state edicts, it is really annoying micromanaging crap and i hope it stays useless so i never have to worry about it

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

estates are alright with me but i really hate state edicts, it is really annoying micromanaging crap and i hope it stays useless so i never have to worry about it

lmao i forgot about this. literally the only state edict i ever use is the institution spread one when i’m trying to spread it enough that i can embrace. great mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I haven't played this poo poo for a long rear end time so I bought all the DLC I didn't have and now I'm gonna try a Florence -> Tuscany -> Italy -> Egypt run. I'm sure it will fail miserably.