Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

I can safely conclude that literally the only reason it got a terrible critical reception is because of "Trigger Warning Entertainment," I honestly don't believe most people who have reviewed the movie have even seen it.

I saw it and thought Bright was boring, which is the one mortal sin for an action film. The trite writing was just the nails in the coffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

K. Waste posted:

I can safely conclude that literally the only reason it got a terrible critical reception is because of "Trigger Warning Entertainment," I honestly don't believe most people who have reviewed the movie have even seen it.

Yes, construct the world in which your opinions are validated.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

C2C - 2.0 posted:

It's shot well enough but it just feels like a homage to a misunderstood genius.

Lmao. I have the exact picture in my mind of what this film is. Now I'm kinda curious to watch it and see if I'm right, but first: Errol Morris.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Allyn posted:

Memories of Murder has a little more dramatic license than Zodiac but is otherwise in a similar vein, and is based on a true story

I don't know if Fincher has ever acknowledged seeing Memories of Murder before making Zodiac but to me the tone and pacing of Zodiac feels as if it were lifted directly from the earlier movie, which is not to say it's not great, because it is.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

K. Waste posted:

I'm thinking it's mostly ill-will towards Max Landis, critics having disliked Suicide Squad, and maybe there being rumblings that accusations against Landis were about to become more prominent and critics actively wanting to be On The Right Side Of History. Add a pinch of "gently caress you Netflix, you're not a film studio, you can't make real movies!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I really don't have strong feelings on Bright either way, I didn't dislike it or love it, but looking at the reviews you can tell a lot of them were ready to stick it to them before it even came out. Like a reverse Ghostbusters 2016.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Bright isn't a great movie, but it was entertaining and had some very cool concepts and scenes. I'm glad Netflix picked it up. They have had some really good genre stuff before like Spectral, and Wheelman is genuinely a fantastic movie.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I disliked Bright because I found it to be a terrible movie, and not some weird SJW reason people seem to think is present.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Gray State:

"We have a quadcopter drone"

There are six propellers.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Sexcopter sounds too dirty.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
To whomever recommended Patriot, thank you. One of the best shows I've seen in years.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

I disliked Bright because I found it to be a terrible movie, and not some weird SJW reason people seem to think is present.

I wouldn't really describe annoyance at "Trigger Warning Entertainment" & dislike of Max Landis as "weird SJW reasons" for unfairly prejudging a movie so much as "incredibly relatable reasons" (for unfairly prejudging a movie)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
[.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 29, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Bright isn't a great movie, but it was entertaining and had some very cool concepts and scenes. I'm glad Netflix picked it up. They have had some really good genre stuff before like Spectral, and Wheelman is genuinely a fantastic movie.

Spectral was the one with those ‘ghost’ things the one scientist had to develop that special light/viewing tech to see, right? And regular bullets didn’t work?

My big complaint, as with most movies where you have a cast of identically dressed military guys is that in some battle scenes, you’re like ‘uh, wait, which guy was that one again?’ I thought it was a pretty neat concept though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've mentioned this before, but I like how in Spectral they start with modern tech, and then literally overnight their tech guy is all "Hey, I slapped together some Gears of War tech-suits and future weapons for you guys." Like, he's tinkering away one night and suddenly catapults technology 100 years into the future and crafts tech-armor and laser guns with some melted down soup cans and baling wire.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
New Black Mirror is up. The Star Trek episode is pretty amazing, with a pretty great cameo in there near the end.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

New Black Mirror is up. The Star Trek episode is pretty amazing, with a pretty great cameo in there near the end.

Anyone wanna give me a [spoiler] of all the famous people that are in this season?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

:woop:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

Black Mirror Season 4: What if Black Mirror, but too much?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah season 4 was a bit of a disappointment, but there were still some good things scattered in there. Nothing really gave me that trademark sense of existential dread that seasons 1-3 did though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The first episode of Black Mirror S4 is just I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream with a slightly more upbeat ending

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 30, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really enjoyed the first episode. I'm not really looking for anything profound from Black Mirror. I just think it's a well made show that checks the right boxes for me.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I'd spoiler that. It gives a lot away.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Yeah season 4 was a bit of a disappointment, but there were still some good things scattered in there. Nothing really gave me that trademark sense of existential dread that seasons 1-3 did though.

From the (3) episodes I've seen it seems like instead of the other seasons' focus on tech encouraging societal behavior 2 negative ends the blame is much more on individual people. Like, in the first episode the problem is isolated because it's exclusively due to Jesse Plemons self-built magic DNA scanner that nobody else has, in the second episode we get explicit dialogue stating that the tech has been banned everywhere, the third episode is basically a procedural with new crime tech. Not saying thats the case for the whole season but compared 2 the show in the past it stands out as less-focused in its, uh, anthology-ness

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I'd spoiler that. It gives a lot away.

Yeah good call mb

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I'm reading through Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow. Dope just popped up on Netflix, so how is that show? Does that show play into the rhetoric of the War on Drugs and all of the stereotypes? Just based on its trailer and tagline, it seems like it does without offering nuance, so I'm wondering about that.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Black Mirror Season 4:

Hat Thoughts posted:

Like, in the first episode the problem is isolated because it's exclusively due to Jesse Plemons self-built magic DNA scanner that nobody else has

I just started watching and am only 1/2 through the first episode but this bugged me because of the assumption that everyone's memories and consciousness are apparently stored in every cell of our DNA....what?

Edit: Like, it would be a good episode if it was just about AI character programs who had sentience and existence and feelings who were abused by a person who just saw them as unfeeling programs, but they had to make them all actually have the original minds of the people they were based on. Still, had some really funny moments.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 30, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Section 9 posted:

Black Mirror Season 4:

I just started watching and am only 1/2 through the first episode but this bugged me because of the assumption that everyone's memories and consciousness are apparently stored in every cell of our DNA....what?

Edit: Like, it would be a good episode if it was just about AI character programs who had sentience and existence and feelings who were abused by a person who just saw them as unfeeling programs, but they had to make them all actually have the original minds of the people they were based on. Still, had some really funny moments.

I didn't mind the conceit so much but ya as you've said there's other ways to approach it, also, plot-wise I thought their plan ending at suicide seemed 2 paint the characters as kinda self-centered considering it meant that the man could've hypothetically just gotten newer DNA samples & kept redoing it
but yeah the main thing for me is with like every previous episode of the show I can think of (except mayyybe the Resident Evil AR one) the show always made a point of gesturing towards something that implicated the viewer along the lines of "isnt it hosed up/crazy/plausible...that we ALL let this happen/got to this point" & im not saying like a parable about helicopter parenting cant serve the same universal function but it feels to me like the show loses strength by broadening its focus from variations on/around that specific theme to just dour what-if tech tales.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 30, 2017

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Hat Thoughts posted:

but yeah the main thing for me is with like every previous episode of the show I can think of (except mayyybe the Resident Evil AR one) the show always made a point of gesturing towards something that implicated the viewer along the lines of "isnt it hosed up/crazy/plausible...that we ALL let this happen/got to this point" & im not saying like a parable about helicopter parenting cant serve the same universal function but it feels to me like the show loses strength by broadening its focus from variations on/around that specific theme to just dour what-if tech tales.

I think I generally agree. I like the show best when it's just being a Twilight Zone morality tale about the worst-case of current social-technology trends (which has been the majority of the episodes so far.) I think the first episode of season 4 could have done that a lot better job of getting it's point across if it didn't have the critically flawed central conceit that I mentioned in spoilers. But, that whole concept of personal consciousness, uploading minds, etc. is something I love so I probably am more irrationally upset about it then other people.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Starting season 4 of Black Mirror. First episode started fun and then it cut to black and the elevator doors opened and I immediately went "ouch"

Edit: and there's the 90 degree turn

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 30, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah good call mb

You were right though. It also aped a famous Twilight Zone episode.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I thought is was great television, and my only complaint is that instead of presenting a new idea they reused an old idea and dialed the cruelty up to 11. Also, the cruelty wasn't a clever or ironic, like the episode where the dude had to accept advertisements to afford a living space, and the content of the ads was a cruel twist on the reason he mortgaged his room.

Anyway, this episode made me want an episode about Hollywood manufacturing actors from DNA. Like, what if we crossed Matt Damon with Philip Seymour Hoffman?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay finished first episode.

Fun premise, but worse than the scientific inaccuracy of memories being stored in DNA, which is something I can overlook, was the fact that this episode had a happy ending

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rngd in the womb posted:

I'm reading through Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow. Dope just popped up on Netflix, so how is that show? Does that show play into the rhetoric of the War on Drugs and all of the stereotypes? Just based on its trailer and tagline, it seems like it does without offering nuance, so I'm wondering about that.

Dope is not nuanced at all, it's like a Dateline or MSNBC documentary, but it's still good. The episode about Baltimore especially. It comes just shy of talking about a realistic solution (make opiates and suboxone not-impossible to get to cut down on dangerous street heroin that's 98% additives) but doesn't even get that far

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe it's lost sight of the tech paranoia theme a bit (it strayed in the last season as well) but 3 episodes in I think this is my favorite season of Black Mirror.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tweet my meat posted:

Hahahaha I loved that cameo so much Jesse vs Todd, round 2!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jesse Plemons is a really good actor. His 60's sci-fi captain voice was great.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Steve Yun posted:

Okay finished first episode.

Fun premise, but worse than the scientific inaccuracy of memories being stored in DNA, which is something I can overlook, was the fact that this episode had a happy ending

I was kinda like warm on the whole episode, but I was really hoping that the "open world" they escaped into would be full of even WORSE gamers that would take advantage of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

I was kinda like warm on the whole episode, but I was really hoping that the "open world" they escaped into would be full of even WORSE gamers that would take advantage of them.

Wasn't that kind of the implication? It was done in a jokey way but that seemed like what it was getting at.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah I mean, the Callister crew's like "we have an infinite universe to explore!" but it's an MMO videogame universe and they're NPCs, everyone's gonna treat them like disposable tools and they still can't die. It seemed very darkly ironic to me. And about the same for the modern direction of corporate franchise management as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I think the point was that now they are in the actual game, the other players aren't just gods who can magic their mouths away or turn them into bugs.