Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Look up the Mr Black Supermoon. I bet it would sound amazing for that kind of thing. Make sure it’s synth friendly though, I’m not totally sure.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I ended up getting the EP because I’m bad at taking advice apparently but if I don’t like it maybe I’ll sell it for the Arrows. Thanks for the advice y’all.

Nah man don’t worry, it’s a killer pedal! Just didn’t do it for my setup. Lots of pros use it live and in studio so it’s definitely a solid piece of hardware. On that note I do miss how it felt. Tiny but one of the most solid feeling pedals I’ve owned.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Snowy posted:

I need a reverb pedal for a show I'm playing, my first in ten years. Since I'm a little out of date with my info, maybe you guys would have some advice, so far I'm looking at a TC Electronics T2.
I immediately thought of the TC Electronics T2.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Snowy posted:

So which pedal is most friendly to heavy drone drug music?

Eventide Space is the money-is-no-object answer. Ambient/droney synth people also like the Earthquaker Devices stuff (though watch the levels, I hear) and Strymon ones (also $$$).

Honestly I might just grab a Midiverb/Quadraverb for $50 if you can swing using a rack effect. Instant 90s. Get those MBV tonez.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Snowy posted:

The TC T2 or Hardwire Supernatural spring immediately to mind.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Supermoon. Do it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JamesKPolk posted:

Honestly I might just grab a Midiverb/Quadraverb for $50 if you can swing using a rack effect. Instant 90s. Get those MBV tonez.

yeah a midiverb or even a hardwire rv-7 in a pinch

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks for the suggestions, I went with the T2 though the Earthshaker sounded like a good option too. I have a quadraverb already but I'm trying to keep the size down because I'm flying with my gear, probably should have mentioned that. At some point I'll get the eventide once I get my friend there to give me a nice discount.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah a midiverb or even a hardwire rv-7 in a pinch

I have the Hardwire RV-7, it owns

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ohhhh god why did I have to discover the Source Audio Ventris. It’s all kinds of perfect. Has anyone tried one?

Whoa this looks great

Snowy posted:

I need a reverb pedal for a show I'm playing, my first in ten years. Since I'm a little out of date with my info, maybe you guys would have some advice, so far I'm looking at a TC Electronics T2.

I play heavy electronics/noise/dark ambient with old rear end equipment, a Roland dj70, some handmade noise synths and a few distortion and delay pedals. The sound is like crumbly earthquake bass with feedback drones and synth bleeps. and a few explosions here and there.

TC pedals all sound soulless to me and not in a good way - just flat and digital-ly and again, not in a good way. After I owned a few it became really obvious, even in YouTubes I couldn't really un-hear the cheap-sounding lack of organic tactility

I have a Death By Audio Reverberation Machine and it's really unique but might not be your thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwexrkcErR0

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 30, 2017

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Schlieren posted:

Whoa this looks great

TC pedals all sound soulless to me and not in a good way - just flat and digital-ly and again, not in a good way. After I owned a few it became really obvious, even in YouTubes I couldn't really un-hear the cheap-sounding lack of organic tactility

I have a Death By Audio Reverberation Machine and it's really unique but might not be your thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwexrkcErR0

So I got the T2, and I’m kind of feeling the same way after playing with it for a couple hours. I’m considering returning it. I’ll check out the death by audio and the earthshaker if I do.

E- Earthquaker, gah.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The electro harmonix cathedral is really fun. It doesent sound like s “real” spring reverb it sounds like it’s iwn thing. But it’s great and the reverse in particular is wonderful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you’re looking for just a meat and potatoes reverb, the EHX Holy Grail is really hard to beat. I regret selling mine, i have two other reverbs but I’ll probably buy another Holy Grail at some point.

It can’t necessarily do really out-there stuff, but as far as shoegaze goes, I’m pretty sure one or both guitarists from Nothing use it

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I just got a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion Pedal to hook up to my TR-8 and holy poo poo this is awesome. Unfortunately it may have started a pedal addiction because all I want now is a chorus for my Minilogue. Any recommendations for a good chorus around $100?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Heads up, IdiotBox is selling all their pedals for $99 until Jan. 1: http://idiotboxeffects.bigcartel.com/products

I ordered a Han-Taun, and I can't wait to compare it to the Blower Box.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Juaguocio posted:

Heads up, IdiotBox is selling all their pedals for $99 until Jan. 1: http://idiotboxeffects.bigcartel.com/products

I ordered a Han-Taun, and I can't wait to compare it to the Blower Box.

How much are they normally? I don’t see any other prices

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Snowy posted:

How much are they normally? I don’t see any other prices

The ones that are on sale range from $119-$139, so it's a $20-$40 discount depending on which one you get.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sweet, my friend at Eventide is hooking me up with a discount code, here’s hoping it’s not like 5% :v: I want that Space!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I want to get a reverb and chorus pedal that would work well with my Korg Minilogue synth. I feel like adding those to the chain would really help fill out the sound. Does anyone have recommendations for these around the $100 mark? (Each)

The TC Electronics Hall of Fame and Corona look pretty solid but would love feedback from anyone who has them. The EHX Small Clone for Chorus also looked good.

Edit: Just read the negative feedback on TC pedals, maybe I should look at EHX Holy Grail (reverb) and Small Clone (Chorus)?

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 1, 2018

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

MrSargent posted:

I want to get a reverb and chorus pedal that would work well with my Korg Minilogue synth. I feel like adding those to the chain would really help fill out the sound. Does anyone have recommendations for these around the $100 mark? (Each)

The TC Electronics Hall of Fame and Corona look pretty solid but would love feedback from anyone who has them. The EHX Small Clone for Chorus also looked good.

Edit: Just read the negative feedback on TC pedals, maybe I should look at EHX Holy Grail (reverb) and Small Clone (Chorus)?

for chorus the cheep rear end tc pedal sound pretty decent, they have an analog one and a clone of the old boss dimension

avoid the reverb of that line

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Digitech polara is another good reverb though it’s essentially just the same pedal as the RV7 in a different box.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

massive spider posted:

Digitech polara is another good reverb though it’s essentially just the same pedal as the RV7 in a different box.

didn’t it steal 1-2 algorithms from the supernatural while dropping a few of the rv7?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Bought a Black Arts Crown of Horns on a lark. Tried the Pharaoh and the LSTR too--both good, both a little straightforward. Crown of Horns is my kind of dumb bullshit distortion fuzz. Goddamn those pedals are good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Professor Science posted:

Bought a Black Arts Crown of Horns on a lark. Tried the Pharaoh and the LSTR too--both good, both a little straightforward. Crown of Horns is my kind of dumb bullshit distortion fuzz. Goddamn those pedals are good.

Interesting... it's a modded op-amp Big Muff. Those are all the rage right now.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yeah, I have a Muff clone that I never quite bonded with. After getting a baritone, realized I really wanted one for That Doom Sound. Crown of Horns works really well for that, unsurprisingly.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I (and prob everybody else) saw that EHX reissued the op-amp Big Mufff recently. What are your thoughts on the reissue? Kind of intrigued, and it seems to be a good price.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

betterinsodapop posted:

I (and prob everybody else) saw that EHX reissued the op-amp Big Mufff recently. What are your thoughts on the reissue? Kind of intrigued, and it seems to be a good price.
I'll still probably buy one because it's seventy goddamn dollars.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

betterinsodapop posted:

I think it's really, really great. I played a re-issue recently and, especially for the price, it's a monster. It uses a mix of the 741 and 4558 op-amps just like the original did. Just like the original, it has 3 gain stages instead of 4 which would tend to make it more sound more "raw." If you've ever stacked gain pedals you'll notice the more gain you add the "smoother" it can seem due to clipping compression.

Also, it sounds really great on bass as-is but can be more suited to bass and baritone and really dropped tunings with a simple switch of a capacitor or two (input capacitor and output capacitor). You could even put different different capacitors on a switch and wire that up so you can change them around easily.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 2, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ended up heading to the local GC to test a few pedals out and lo and behold I ended up with two more Boss Pedals (to match the OS-2 I got the other day). For Chorus, I went with the Super Chorus CH-1 which seemed to be one I couldn't go wrong with and I have loved it so far. For Reverb, it came down to the EHX Holy Grail Nano or the Boss RV-6. The guy helping me at Guitar Center mentioned that he also uses a ton of pedals with his Minilogue and recommended the Boss pedal due to the fact that it also has a "Shimmer" Reverb effect which sounds amazing.

After playing with them for a couple hours on the Minilogue, I am REALLY happy with these choices and definitely have a bad case of pedal fever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MrSargent posted:

Ended up heading to the local GC to test a few pedals out and lo and behold I ended up with two more Boss Pedals (to match the OS-2 I got the other day). For Chorus, I went with the Super Chorus CH-1 which seemed to be one I couldn't go wrong with and I have loved it so far. For Reverb, it came down to the EHX Holy Grail Nano or the Boss RV-6. The guy helping me at Guitar Center mentioned that he also uses a ton of pedals with his Minilogue and recommended the Boss pedal due to the fact that it also has a "Shimmer" Reverb effect which sounds amazing.

After playing with them for a couple hours on the Minilogue, I am REALLY happy with these choices and definitely have a bad case of pedal fever.

I think I'm gonna get the RV-6 soon, I've been watching some videos of it and the shimmer sounds awesome

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

I think I'm gonna get the RV-6 soon, I've been watching some videos of it and the shimmer sounds awesome

Can confirm the shimmer is awesome as all hell.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The RV6 mod effect is great too. It’s a true modulated reverb apparently in that while some pedals like the hall of fame just add a chorus effect to the trails the RV5/6 actually makes the virtual space change shape.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I was gifted a Fulltone Mas Malos during the holidays. My initial impression is that it’s so good as an overdrive I can forgive its shortcomings as a fuzz. It is also a very good bass OD.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I think it's really, really great. I played a re-issue recently and, especially for the price, it's a monster.
Goddamnit. Now I want it. Because I need a 3rd fuzz pedal... Also, thanks for answering my question. :cheers:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I finally took a good look at those idiot box effects right before the sale ended. The Dungeon Master looks like fun.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

betterinsodapop posted:

Goddamnit. Now I want it. Because I need a 3rd fuzz pedal... Also, thanks for answering my question. :cheers:

In my opinion everyone should have an op-amp Muff, a Tonebender MKII (the platonic ideal of a Fuzz Face circuit) and a Univox Superfuzz-based circuit. I mean Mudhoney put 2 of those 3 in the title of an album.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hey pedal buddies, I just got back into electric guitar and am having some terrible pedal GAS. So far I have the Joyo American to model into my usb interface as I have an amp but its old farty and too loud, and I picked up a tc electronic echobrain, a really nice analog delay.

I'm just waiting on delivery of a Mooer Envelope, which seems like an ok lower-end pedal. I didn't want the Funky Monkey too much auto-wah, and the @wah seems like overkill but does anyone have opinions on them?

I'm also looking for fuzzes, it's getting hard to find a danelectro french toast, they keep getting snapped up on ebay. The new tc electronic fuzzes sound ok but I really can't a/b enough to figure out which one is more versatile, the honey pot or the rusty.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

In my opinion everyone should have an op-amp Muff, a Tonebender MKII (the platonic ideal of a Fuzz Face circuit) and a Univox Superfuzz-based circuit. I mean Mudhoney put 2 of those 3 in the title of an album.
Pretty sure that's similar to what J.Mascis uses in his chain, but replace the op-amp with a "Ram's Head" Muff. Sounds good to me. A lot of the superfuzz clones are pretty expensive, unfortunately.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I finally tried out the EHX Soul Food I bought a while back and god drat is it a good sounding OD. It sounds killer stacked with a Muff too

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

betterinsodapop posted:

Pretty sure that's similar to what J.Mascis uses in his chain, but replace the op-amp with a "Ram's Head" Muff. Sounds good to me. A lot of the superfuzz clones are pretty expensive, unfortunately.

It's not a Black Cat but it's fookin' great: https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-SF300-BEHRINGER-SUPER-FUZZ/dp/B000T9PE9E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Apologies for the crosspost, friends:

I was briefly reading about amp simulators and came across the Behringer TM300 which is incredibly cheap but also seems to have favorable, though somewhat sparse, reviews, nearly all of which seem to be based on playing guitar through it. I am strictly limited to $50 spending money in the near-term by my wife and her budgeting activity, so at like $25 it's very attractive. Anybody played around with one with synths?

(Or, in the context of the thread happy to hear about use with guitars and whether it seems like it might be usable in interesting ways with synths based on your experience.)