Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

You clearly weren't poor enough. If you're genuinely poor, your family has to co-sign to get a student loan and they can go after them if you stop paying.

Gwar were right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Turns out the 11 kuai fruit knife I bought is really goddamn sharp, and I'm minus about 2mm of my thumb.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Bout a week ago a former coworker of mine messaged me trying to recruit me to her school in Beijing. Pay was about what I'm getting in Huzhou, but with about 3 times the rent and 3 times the air pollution, so uh, no.

Anyway, she started insisting that "Beijing doesn't have air pollution anymore!" Because it was in like its second day in a row of clean air. She went on to attribute this to the evictions. Basically talking about how great it was, I mean, getting rid of all those people means the air will be clean. (Despite the migrant population having been lower during Airpocalypses 1 and 2, of course.) I went off on her, pointing out that people died and that it will have gently caress all effect on the air pollution, which will be back. Blocked her. gently caress that noise. She always was an idiot.

And now the AQI is 500 in Beijing again, and all is right with the world.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Vesi posted:

I checked the shittiest town near Shantou that still had baidu streetview, found a typical 5 story house at least

https://map.baidu.com/#panoid=09005...12131248049415I

Haier can add it to his collection of fivehouses.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

VideoTapir posted:

And now the AQI is 500 in Beijing again, and all is right with the world.

A friend online posted an article about China's amazing turnaround on pollution and how everything's getting so much better now that they're cracking down on polluters and I just didn't have the heart to tell him, just quietly agreed it's a good thing.

China's air fresher than Canada and the US combined by 2020.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 30, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chengdu actually, bizarrely, did crack down on polluters (much to the shock of everyone, especially the polluters) and the pollution is noticeably better this winter than last year. It's still loving apocalyptic in objective measure, but relatively okay. Last year we were drowning in a barrel of wet, rancid poo poo, this year we're sitting on the rim with our legs in the poo poo and occasionally more poo poo pours down into the barrel and splashes on us but we don't have to actually go into the barrel.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Well heck, if there's some truth to the original source and it's not just a propaganda piece that's great to hear. I hope they really do take it seriously.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They claim the goal is for pollution to peak in 2030 and fall after that. It does seem like they have taken very minor steps to curb air pollution. Water and soil are still completely out of control as far as I know, air is relatively easy to fix since if you just stop dumping poo poo into the air for like, a day the wind clears it out. That's how Beijing magically has clean air every time there's a conference or some foreign dignitary visiting.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

angel opportunity posted:

I asked my wife about the house and she said:

"In rural areas people build houses like that and don't decorate them like in urban areas. They pay people to build it, and if they already have the land they might as well build it taller with more stories."

She said they might use those extra empty stories to "store grain or vegetables."

Still makes no sense to me

It's like those murder-towers that people build in Rust.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Grand Fromage posted:

They claim the goal is for pollution to peak in 2030 and fall after that. It does seem like they have taken very minor steps to curb air pollution. Water and soil are still completely out of control as far as I know, air is relatively easy to fix since if you just stop dumping poo poo into the air for like, a day the wind clears it out. That's how Beijing magically has clean air every time there's a conference or some foreign dignitary visiting.

Which is why it's completely about face. They aren't cleaning up factories or car emissions or anything that would affect the actual pollutants because the actual problem is that people are enjoying themselves by buying stuff from 串 and 煎饼 carts. Cracking down on street food is actually one of the biggest reasons I left China.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I do VIPKID on weekends for extra money and have, so far, seen three kids take a poo poo on camera.

chynar

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I do VIPKID on weekends for extra money and have, so far, seen three kids take a poo poo on camera.

chynar

what, like, wuh? how?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
They take their lessons in the bathroom?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

nickmeister posted:

They take their lessons in the bathroom?

they are Chinese and the bathroom is all around them

Ceciltron posted:

what, like, wuh? how?

the anus dilates

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Go to visit in-laws. It takes a 15 minute walk to the train station, 40 minute train, then another 15 minute walk. When about to leave given 4 full grocery bags of food I don't want. Yeah, it will be no problem to carry it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

By 2030 the eastern part of the country will probably meet all the requirements to be classified as a Superfund site.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

GoutPatrol posted:

Go to visit in-laws. It takes a 15 minute walk to the train station, 40 minute train, then another 15 minute walk. When about to leave given 4 full grocery bags of food I don't want. Yeah, it will be no problem to carry it.

Leave it at the first train station for hungry people.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

chynar

Sounds like poo poo lessons

Blistex posted:

By 2030 the eastern part of the country will probably meet all the requirements to be classified as a Superfund site.

No population, no pollution!

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Yeah, my wifes parents lived in a lovely horrible run down old house for years because they were waiting for it to get knocked down for the compensation. It was a 5 or 6 storey place (I'm not sure never went above the 2nd floor since it was empty above that). It had no running water except for one random tap, so you'd have to go fill a bucket up to flush the toilet and use a wood burning stove to heat water. All the rooms were massive and they had one heater for the whole place (it's Northern China so was always loving freezing). They also had another house exactly the same round the corner where they lived before they bought this one, they just used it to store firewood. My wife took me to see it and show me her room where she grew up and it was the first time someone had been in there for about 25 years, it was like the set of a horror movie. Then a couple of years back they built her brother a house in the neighbourhood. They knew it was being knocked down soon they built it in a way to maximise compensation so it was a weird place, the living room could easily have fit a full sized basketball court in it but just had a sofa and tiny TV.

It all got knocked down recently so they all live in nice places now. The dad used to be quite high up in the party and was a property developer so managed to get a pretty good deal, I'm not sure how much but it was in the tens of millions and when they rebuild the place he will get 4 apartments and all his kids also get an apartment.

How is this at all sustainable or how does it make logical sense to the people in charge of paying these monies? spoiler: it doesn't and this kind of behaviour and level of corruption is what turned a first world country like Greece into a failed state. Seriously, if you want to know what it looks like when a first world country flushes itself down a toilet, look at Greece.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a great video that really makes you ask "WEISHENME?????"
https://gfycat.com/DistinctAchingAmericanwigeon

CG was telling me about the new divorce rules announced in China. Many of them are the same as before, but some new additions apply. If the wife's pregnant, the man can't apply for the divorce until the kid is at least one year old. If the woman wants it, then it doesn't matter the age of the kid. No matter what their issues are, if one side of the couple does not want a divorce, they made a rule that the couple must live apart for minimum two years. Maybe they are hoping the divorcer will reaccept the other, but I think it's partially just to offer one way for one half of the couple to spite the other and gain some face. It will definitely put a damper on the guys trying to quickly ditch their wives for their mistress.

Vesi posted:

I checked the shittiest town near Shantou that still had baidu streetview, found a typical 5 story house at least

https://map.baidu.com/#panoid=09005...12131248049415I
I was wrong. CG's parents' house is only 5 stories, but her aunt's house is a whopping 7 with an elevator in it.
Her parents have the house arranged as:
1th floor - Kitchen, living room, washing machines.
2th floor - Bedrooms.
3st floor - ????, but possibly for rent, but nobody will rent because no elevator and walking is tooooo hard.
4nd floor - For rent also.
5st floor - An actual factory production room full of workers.
Rooftop - Should be for laundry, but too many stairs to walk up, so sometimes they just leave food and seeds up here to dry for a few months in the rain and smog.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bajaj posted:

"Have you tried standing up, auntie?"

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's an ice-cold river and the old lady seems to be unconscious

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaj posted:

5st floor - An actual factory production room full of workers.

Producing what? Depending on the answer, maybe I'll move to China and rent floors three and four.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

Gorilla Salad posted:

The real question is how did she get out there? If she fell in from the bank than wouldnt she have just hit the ice?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

EasternBronze posted:

The real question is how did she get out there? If she fell in from the bank than wouldnt she have just hit the ice?

There is a patch of land to the right that does not have any ice surrounding it

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bajaj posted:

so many loving questions...

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ladron posted:

What are you confused about?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

angel opportunity posted:

Another weird house thing is that my in-laws have a nice apartment with marble floors and stuff. It's very modern looking and nicer feeling than a lot of apartments in the US in many ways. Of course it has a lovely Chinese bathroom where the whole bathroom is just the shower floor. They kept their old apartment though, and that's where the washing machine is. So if you want to do laundry you would walk across town and go to another apartment to use the weird USSR style washing machine from 1980 that barely worked. This is also where they'd go to slaughter live chickens.

My grandparents neighbors in West Virginia did the same thing! Down to killing chickens in there! Theirs was an older house on the property maybe 50y from the new house they built.

My grandparents lived in an newer house built immediately next to an older house, but they were civilized hillbillies and only used it to store lumber.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ladron posted:

Yeah, like "how much money did she demand?"

He must have pushed her in. Why else would he help her out?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's an ice-cold river and the old lady seems to be unconscious

When you get older and you have never done anything physical in your life, it really starts to catch up to you. She probably couldn't even get out if there in any temperature.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mimesweeper posted:

China's air fresher than Canada and the US combined by 2020.

The air in any one Chinese city will have less pollution than the entire US and Canada combined (including the pollution that arrives from China) by 2020. This seems like a reasonable goal.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The end of the One Child Policy was so that there would be more lungs in China filtering crap out of the air.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

When you get older and you have never done anything physical in your life, it really starts to catch up to you. She probably couldn't even get out if there in any temperature.

Agree that old people tend to be physically weaker and more easily incapacitated in emergencies

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What are you confused about?

VideoTapir posted:

Yeah, like "how much money did she demand?"

He must have pushed her in. Why else would he help her out?

pretty much this. Plus kudos to the guy filming an old lady drowning for future evidence against the good samaritan. this might just be a more elaborate jumping-on-the-car-hood scam.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Producing what? Depending on the answer, maybe I'll move to China and rent floors three and four.

The answer is "cancer"

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
https://my.mixtape.moe/uimdyq.mp4

Hard to see here but it doesn't look like the guy is making any attempt to shield his face or move at all

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Power Khan posted:

The answer is "cancer"

Does that make a lot of noise? Not counting the sound of lungs hacking themselves to death.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Welp, this year’s Downtown New Year special has Hamada in blackface. Goddammit still, Japan? :cripes:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dr.Radical posted:

Welp, this year’s Downtown New Year special has Hamada in blackface. Goddammit still, Japan? :cripes:

subs where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I’m watching it live right now. He changed into his traditional wig and skirt after the bus bit, though

• Locked thread