Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

While the things you say are plausible, but Occam's Razor and being aware of general human ignorance tells me that's used as a kitchen sink.

I mean, yeah, but, ... sigh you’re right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Goddamn, this precisely reflects my home-ownership experience.

This is my *life*.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Goddamn, this precisely reflects my home-ownership experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

St_Ides posted:

Between the wipes and soap dispenser, I would say a recently remodeled office kitchenette.

They probably said "we want a little sink here" and they got that.

The person who originally posted the photo said these were installed in the office breakroom kitchens on every floor of the building. Also said there was a mess of water around the sinks all the time from people trying to wash dishes or their hands.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

kid sinister posted:

A house made out of windshields.

and shipping containers?
why

why would you do any of this

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Yawgmoth posted:

why

Maybe they hate themselves, and also anyone close enough to see that eyesore?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Yawgmoth posted:

why

For m4d s1kk Pinstagram credit!!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Yawgmoth posted:

why

Spite house?

Maybe the local code said that additional floors on an existing structure couldn’t have opaque walls? The possibilities are endless.

I kinda like it...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Was easier than throwing away 350 extra windshields.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

kid sinister posted:

A house made out of windshields.

and shipping containers?

I see different types of windshields and I hope the owner is some kind of enthusiast.

"This model is intended for the Canadian market - notice the heating element where the wipers would rest. Let's go to the family room next. It's arranged to show the evolution of active cruise control mounts."

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So I have been thinking about this for a while now...

New homes are expensive and I am not really at the stage in my life where I want a 'house' per se.
(Where to 'live' is the biggest question.)

However, having a fully insulated shop/garge with an attached flat sounds very attractive.

Good idea? Or bad idea?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Senor P. posted:

New homes are expensive and I am not really at the stage in my life where I want a 'house' per se.

However, having a fully insulated shop/garge with an attached flat sounds very attractive.

Good idea? Or bad idea?

Hey, if that works for you more power. HOWEVER, if that's not going to be your forever home you need to take a hard look on how easy it will be to sell when you want to move to a new place.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Senor P. posted:

Good idea? Or bad idea?

A garage with an attached living space? You've just described a house.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Where are you going to find a structure like that? Or were you planning to build it yourself? In the latter case, go nuts, just try to leave your plans open to the possibility of expanding the "flat" into a full-blown house for whoever comes after you. Such arrangements are pretty common, where one or two rooms get knocked together pretty quickly and then are lived in while the rest of the structure goes together more slowly. The fact that you prioritize building a workshop over building the rest of the house would be a little unusual but hardly problematic.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Friend of mine with a collection of project cars seriously toyed with the idea of leasing/buying a small warehouse/industrial space and building a living space (or just dropping in a prefab or an RV) inside of it. There were some logistical hurdles that had to be overcome so he gave up on it, but wouldn't be impossible, or even terribly difficult someplace with loose zoning laws.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

stealie72 posted:

Friend of mine with a collection of project cars seriously toyed with the idea of leasing/buying a small warehouse/industrial space and building a living space (or just dropping in a prefab or an RV) inside of it. There were some logistical hurdles that had to be overcome so he gave up on it, but wouldn't be impossible, or even terribly difficult someplace with loose zoning laws.
My coworker's 'shop' is made to where he can just pull in his trailer and hook it up to the utilities.
(Additionally he's got other utility hookups on his property for anyone else visiting with an RV or trailer.)

Maybe a bit taller than the below example...
https://www.steelstructuresamerica.com/Residential%20Pole%20Buildings-Steel-Buildings/Garages-Shops/56.aspx

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sounds like a barn with a mother-in-law unit. Around here it's quite common to have a restaurant, hair salon, etc. downstairs with a separate entrance to an apartment upstairs.
They're not usually available for rent, though. It's either sold or abandoned.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Senor P. posted:

Good idea? Or bad idea?

Get a one‐bedroom house with a two‐car garage.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well
It's been pretty cold so I checked some videos on sewer vent pipes freezing up. This guy is so proud of hooking up his hot water heater to the sewer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THjHdmE_3rA

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blackbeer posted:

It's been pretty cold so I checked some videos on sewer vent pipes freezing up. This guy is so proud of hooking up his hot water heater to the sewer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THjHdmE_3rA

:stonk:

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

So uh, why not just turn a tap on at a sink closest to the vent pipe and let it drain...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Messadiah posted:

So uh, why not just turn a tap on at a sink closest to the vent pipe and let it drain...

Because then it doesn’t shoot up the pipe to roof level.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Platystemon posted:

Because then it doesn’t shoot up the pipe to roof level.

Just route the exhaust to the vent pipe. Bingo bogo so simple!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Just route the exhaust to the vent pipe. Bingo bogo so simple!

That's what I was expecting to see.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Blackbeer posted:

I'm in MN. It's -10f right now and my soil pipe breather is magically fine. I was up north last weekend and it was -35f and my folks shitter still worked fine. Not sure how he's managed so much condensation. It seems like a ladder and a whack with a stick aught to answer.

Like mentioned above, 10 minutes of hot water in the closest sink to the soil pipe should clear it out.

It is a clever solution though. Kudos to him. I've seen/done a lot weirder things in houses that I've lived in.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
With all those trips to the store to buy pipe fittings, he didn't once look at the bin of back flow valves on the shelf and think "hmm, I wonder what those do?"

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

When I lived in the more rural parts of Minnesota, I got to know a couple of pilots who took me on a tour of the local airport. A few of the out-of-town pilots who park their planes there had full sleeping quarters stashed in corners of their hangars/storage barn areas and would stay for extended periods of time.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Blackbeer posted:

This is amazing and one of the more dangerous crappy construction items to make this thread. Domestic hot bacteria right from the tap!

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I bet deep down that guy loves that he has to monitor the situation and then actively deploy his solution. Fixing it so it just doesn't freeze over wouldn't be nearly as satisfying.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Senor P. posted:

Good idea? Or bad idea?

What you want is a Caretaker Barn. http://www.barnpros.com/barn-plans-products.aspx?itemid=1247

BarnPros has other interesting apartment designs on there as well.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 1, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Suspect Bucket posted:

What you want is a Caretaker Barn. http://www.barnpros.com/barn-plans-products.aspx?itemid=1247

BarnPros has other interesting apartment designs on there as well.

Sadly, accessory buildings are limited to twenty feet here, because I want an in-law apartment over a garage setup. With a little re-grading I think I might be able to fit a 35' deep by 45' wide (respective to the garage doors) structure. If they allowed a variance for the height to be measured by the elevation at the front of the house, I could get maybe another 4' in height.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Sadly, accessory buildings are limited to twenty feet here, because I want an in-law apartment over a garage setup. With a little re-grading I think I might be able to fit a 35' deep by 45' wide (respective to the garage doors) structure. If they allowed a variance for the height to be measured by the elevation at the front of the house, I could get maybe another 4' in height.

If you're seriously interested, I know BarnPros and a lot of these other pole barn fabricators can modify their plans and customize to fit your needs. Might want to shoot them an e-mail.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Suspect Bucket posted:

If you're seriously interested, I know BarnPros and a lot of these other pole barn fabricators can modify their plans and customize to fit your needs. Might want to shoot them an e-mail.

It's in the five-year plan. Like all home improvement, it can't just be "build a garage." I want water in it, so i need drainage, obviously. I could maybe just tie it in, but I might have to hook into city waste since they'd probably love to get these four houses here off of septic systems, and city would be preferable anyway. And if I hook into city waste, the front porch might gave to come off so as not to disrupt the waterproofed areas, so maybe it would be time to wrap the sunroom bit around the front as an open or enclosed porch (which would also seriously help the leaky building envelope), or at least move the deteriorating sidewalk out from the house to plan that as a future job. But then the trees have to come out ... et cetera, et cetera.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

That doesn't look like it's placed in a kitchen to me. Looks like a sink in the bathroom of a bar or restaurant.

That's definitely in an office. That bottle of blue liquid is coffee pot cleaner.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Slanderer posted:

That's definitely in an office. That bottle of blue liquid is coffee pot cleaner.

Youth Decay posted:

The person who originally posted the photo said these were installed in the office breakroom kitchens on every floor of the building. Also said there was a mess of water around the sinks all the time from people trying to wash dishes or their hands.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
uhhhh

click for big, rest of the album

https://imgur.com/a/jWsn1

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I can dig it. Not sold on the raised tadpoles (or whatever those are), but otherwise I think it looks nice.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can dig the effort that went into it and the precision, but all those edges are going to be permanently outlined in dust and crumbs within weeks.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah the wooden sperms just aren't doing it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My vote is flukes.