Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grand Fromage posted:

gently caress that let's do Syd Mead Trek.

Absolutely would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

Y'all should check out the latest season of Black Mirror that just went up on Netflix.

Just watched season 4 episode 1. Seriously cool.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Syd Mead Trek would be loving awesome if we can all agree to ban tron lines ahead of time

poo poo's been abused

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'd be down with Syd Mead Trek if it meant including Turn-A Gundam in the canon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'd be down with Syd Mead Trek if it meant including Turn-A Gundam in the canon.

And Yamato 2520 !

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/364/

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/meadart/

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Tighclops posted:

Syd Mead Trek would be loving awesome if we can all agree to ban tron lines ahead of time

poo poo's been abused

Good thing he's got range in his style. He's already worked with Star Trek and helped design the V'Ger spacecraft. I think he could have done something better with the McQuarrie design of Discovery and make it less dogshit while still keeping its spirit.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Mike the TV posted:

Just watched season 4 episode 1. Seriously cool.

Seriously hosed up, is what you mean. That also raises some serious implications for the wider world; also it was basically the same idea as one part of the Christmas episode with Jon Hamm. spoiler if anyone cares Human mind copies in a digital construct.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Admiral Bosch posted:

Seriously hosed up, is what you mean. That also raises some serious implications for the wider world; also it was basically the same idea as one part of the Christmas episode with Jon Hamm. spoiler if anyone cares Human mind copies in a digital construct.

Oh that was a nice, horrifying one. Just leave it, just for Christmas.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Am I reading into things or are Ferengi supposed to be Space Jews

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

gently caress that let's do Syd Mead Trek.

That's the best thing about Mass Effect.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MikeJF posted:

That's the best thing about Mass Effect.

Pseudo-fangs/pedipalps on everything! :byodood:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Windows 98 posted:

You aren't the first one to think so, but it's not that simple because the Bajorans are actually also space Jews.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bajorans are both Space Israelis and Space Palestinians.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Who are the space Canaanites?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Gul Dukat did nothing wrong.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Windows 98 posted:

Ferengi are Space 20th Century Americans.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Ahhhh this actually makes a lot of sense

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah

Space warning about going down the path of 20th century capitalist dreams

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I don't think Ferengi were meant to be Space Jews, but it didn't help that when they were developing the "Greedy capitalist race obsessed with money", they decided to give them big noses and then cast Jewish actors for most of the roles.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Grand Fromage posted:

This rings true, and is certainly a more pleasant take, but the Ferengi check off a few too many boxes on the Evil Jewish Banker checklist to ignore. They're like a propaganda cartoon from 1935.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

(((Ferengi)))

The brackets symbolize their lobes.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

(((Ferengi)))

The brackets symbolize their lobes.
That's far much funnier than it has any rights to be.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

Gul Dukat did nothing wrong.

Sounds like a tasty soda. Or a variant of Mountain Dew.

Grand Fromage posted:

In the beginning, I think they were meant to be pretty much that. See, with TNG being the first ever sci fi series that featured perfect harmony in the absence of any real conflict, they still needed something to be against. So, you have the milquetoast Federation, a society where everyone works for the betterment of the benevolent government and/or the general betterment of one's self and, by extension, everyone else--and you do it all without any of that nasty money stuff getting in the way or, worse, being a motivator. Just pit them against some evil and cartoonishly exaggerated (beyond the point of racist hyperbole) American capitalists. They're violent, misogynist, irrational, motivated only by profit, and of course they're very ugly. Jews in space? No, I don't think so; at least, I doubt that was anywhere near the intention. They weren't being antisemitic. They were showing the evils of capitalism in general by taking it to it's... logical?... conclusion?

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 30, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would love to see a scene of Quark just having read A Christmas Carol and explaining the story's moral to Garak.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tarlibone posted:

In the beginning, I think they were meant to be pretty much that. See, with TNG being the first ever sci fi series that featured perfect harmony in the absence of any real conflict, they still needed something to be against. So, you have the milquetoast Federation, a society where everyone works for the betterment of the benevolent government and/or the general betterment of one's self and, by extension, everyone else--and you do it all without any of that nasty money stuff getting in the way or, worse, being a motivator. Just pit them against some evil and cartoonishly exaggerated (beyond the point of racist hyperbole) American capitalists. They're violent, misogynist, irrational, motivated only by profit, and of course they're very ugly. Jews in space? No, I don't think so; at least, I doubt that was anywhere near the intention. They weren't being antisemitic. They were showing the evils of capitalism in general by taking it to it's... logical?... conclusion?

Specifically, according to Roddenberry they were meant to be the 17th century Europeans to the Federation's New World natives.

That, uh, didn't work out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They threw the original ideas of the Ferengi out the window pretty fast when they didn’t work

I feel like it wasn’t really until DS9 that we had a real fleshing out of Ferengi society

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
One problem with Ferengi as capitalists is that they're mostly depicted as traders and merchants. With the exception of the great ds9 episode about unions, buying the labor of others is seldom depicted as a major component of Ferengi economic activity. They are petit bourgeois rather than bourgeois, again rhyming with stereotypes of Jews

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I would love to see a scene of Quark just having read A Christmas Carol and explaining the story's moral to Garak.

I would fund the hell out of this.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zurui posted:

I would fund the hell out of this.

Too bad Axanar hosed up so badly that CBS made rules barring Trek actors from appearing in fan films. :(

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Is there a convenient summary of this Axanar drama somewhere, for those who may have missed it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tunzie posted:

Is there a convenient summary of this Axanar drama somewhere, for those who may have missed it?
-Idiot launched a Kickstarter for a Trek fan film
-Said idiot not only appears to have pocketed a lot of the funds for this for himself/his girlfriend, but he tried to sell coffee with Trek branding on it, which is an obvious no-no
-He apparently just stopped caring about, you know, copyright laws and IP, and attempted to sell his Kickstarted series to I think Amazon or Netflix when he of course did not have permission to do so
-He got sued by Paramount for stealing copyright, he tried to claim 'fair use' despite him attempting to profit directly off of the Star Trek IP
-Eventually there was some kind of settlement agreement where he was supposed to stop his use of Star Trek IP, but now it appears he has another Kickstarter for this show?
-The worst part is that he basically forced Paramount/CBS to institute more restrictive rules on fan films, which caused a lot of other people doing ST fan films to have to shut down their productions or massively scale back what they wanted to do, because Peters ruins everything
-We also found out from court documents, that in addition to trying to sell his work to a streaming service, he also was trying to tattle to Paramount about how other ST fan projects were doing stuff they shouldn't, while he was directly profiting from the company's property

I'm probably missing some things but that is the cliff notes version

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

This Borg episode where they have one on the ship hanging out with Geordi is both somehow bad and also good

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Oh come on they aren’t even going to show if the plan about letting them gain a sense of self works or not. What was the point of all of this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There is a follow-up episode later, if that helps with your annoyance.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Windows 98 posted:

This Borg episode where they have one on the ship hanging out with Geordi is both somehow bad and also good

It's all good actually

Windows 98 posted:

Oh come on they aren’t even going to show if the plan about letting them gain a sense of self works or not. What was the point of all of this.

I don't think that was the point

It does get a payoff, eventually, in a two-parter which sucks a lot

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The point is considering the ideals and conflicting goals involved, not the "payoff". Picard is not a consequentialist who's going to let the ends justify the means.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I’m now on the episode with the transporter malfunction that’s turns Ro into a ghost. Picard walks through her, and she swipes her hand through a computer. Yet for some reason she can stand on the floor of the ship?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Windows 98 posted:

I’m now on the episode with the transporter malfunction that’s turns Ro into a ghost. Picard walks through her, and she swipes her hand through a computer. Yet for some reason she can stand on the floor of the ship?

Warp particles.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Windows 98 posted:

The gravity plating in the deck has an unintended but fortunate side effect of extending directionality and impermeability into some subspace domains. Furthermore,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Finally watching Twin Peaks for the first time.

Lol Argyle