Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I bought Forza 7 when it came out and it felt kind of half assed to me, like one of those games where the studio rushes it out just before they shut down (they haven't shut down as far as I know). There were quite a few memory leak and crash bugs that I'm not sure were ever fixed, no proper leaderboards for hot lapping, AI is somewhere between the same and worse than Forza 4, and they tried to improve car customization but accidentally made it worse instead. Maybe it's OK if you've literally never played any sort of Gran Turismo/Forza game. I've never played Horizon 3 but it's probably more fun.

Ah that's a shame. I enjoyed MS4 on the 360 more than Horizon 1, but yeah the microtransactions and bugs are putting me off 7.

I guess if I get either, it'll be Horizon and I'll wait and see on 7. Maybe next year they'll make it better.

John Murdoch posted:

Not played either myself, but isn't Horizon 3 the "fun" racer and mainline 7 the "serious" one? Because that would be the deciding factor for me right there. Also 7's progression system is apparently a bit of a mess and was lumped in with the microtransaction death spiral. Nowhere near Battlefront 2 bad, mind, but still messy.

Yeah Motorsport is the semi-sim one and Horizon is the arcade one. Horizon is probably the true successor to Need for Speed and Burnout Paradise.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
there is also a bunch of loot box garbage in fm7

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Demicol posted:

Anyone got fun/good games to recommend for around 9 dollars/euros?

Or alternatively good city builders that aren't Banished, Citites Skylines or Anno series.

Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Simulator doesn't quite focus so much on stuff like building and zoning, but it's in the same neighborhood of things like Tropico in that it's about building up a town but with an emphasis on trying to shepherd automated adventurers to face monsters and get loot and the like. The Let's Play a few years back (Youtube link) was also great, since the main voice actor in the franchise was kind enough to guest commentate a few episodes with them. Majesty 2 is... a thing. I had enough fun playing it, but it's not the classic that Majesty 1 is.

I picked up Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville in a Humble Bundle of strategy games that included Cities Skylines, and it was an entertaining enough game for what amounts to a more complex version of a 4x lite flash game all about taking back a city from the zombie hordes. Clear out zombies, reclaim territory, that sort of thing. You can still find the previous versions online at various flash game sites to get a feel for the basics, but the game does add things like factions, perks, random events and a dedicated campaign mode where you can carry your favorite team from map to map. On the simplistic side as far as builders and 4xs go, but it's fun to "one more turn" things as you turn your section of the city into a well-fortified beacon of trade and civilization or a cannibalistic death cult.

I enjoyed it enough to throw a few more dollars at the devs for the deluxe edition upgrade during the sale, which basically adds in the Kickstarter rewards (extra starting choices for the main character) plus offline versions of the previous two flash games.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Skooma, what is your avatar from?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A new (and hopefully less lovely) year is coming soon, and I still have :siren:gifts to hand out:siren:

Add me:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Tell me your SA name, and you'll get something good (unless you don't).

In return, please ride the Gift Train or do a short writeup of the game.

(There's no need to post that you've added me in the thread or to PM me)

(Seriously, I need like 10 extra goons for a nice round 100 giftees)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have an itch to play a rally driving game. Like the old codemasters Colin McRae ones but modern. Any recommendations?

I know there is Dirt Rally and WRC 5/6? but not sure which is better.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i've dusted off steam.xlsx and made my steamdb filter work again, yay :toot:

Zetsubou's bumper list of fun games that don't cost too much

Artificial Defense - $0.49 (-90%) - electronica-themed TD game
Battle Ranch: Pigs vs Plants - $0.49 (-75%) - plants vs zombies with the serial numbers filed off. this is not a bad thing
English Country Tune - $0.49 (-90%) - challenging 3D puzzle game
Lethal RPG: War - $0.49 (-51%) - casual RPG suitable for twiddling with while listening to podcasts
Final Dusk - $0.50 (-83%) - protect the vampire princess from sunlight and other hazards
Dark Echo - $0.59 (-80%) - tense top-down echolocation game
Finders - $0.59 (-90%) - a casual game that mixes a time-management style with simple crafting and mini-games
Blood and Bacon - $0.79 (-20%) - the best shooting-pigs-till-they-explode game of all time
klocki - $0.84 (-15%) - a short puzzle game that is very chill
Gateways - $0.99 (-80%) - 2D Portal-alike with different portal effects and lots of puzzles - top pick

One Finger Death Punch - $0.99 (-80%) - ONE. FINGER. DEATH. PUNCH.
Tribloos 2 - $0.99 (-90%) - a fine time-management type game
Unium - $0.99 (-50%) - line-drawing puzzle game
Circuits - $1.24 (-75%) - try to construct a piece of music from samples
Divide By Sheep - $1.24 (-75%) - a cute game, try to get the right number of sheep onto the pontoon so they can float to safety
Super House of Dead Ninjas - $1.39 (-80%) - fast-paced action arcade homage to the 16-bit era
Bad Mojo Redux - $1.49 (-75%) - mid 90's FMV adventure game inspired by Kafka
Kami - $1.59 (-60%) - try to get the playfield a uniform colour in as few moves a possible
140 - $1.69 (-66%) - minimalistic rhythm platformer - short, however
100% Orange Juice - $1.74 (-75%) - a fun multiplayer board game

IMSCARED - $1.99 (-50%) - lo-hi horror game that will mess with you
Koi-Koi Japan - $1.99 (-80%) - play a popular variant of the traditional Japanese card game Hanafuda
Musaic Box - $1.99 (-60%) - place tiles in the correct order to play back some classical music
Pixel Galaxy - $1.99 (-80%) - bullet-hellish shmup, but that's okay - ram into into enemies to gain protection and their attack pattern
Receiver - $1.99 (-60%) - minimalist fps.
Retro/Grade - $1.99 (-80%) - rhythm-based shmup
They Bleed Pixels - $1.99 (-80%) - action platformer in a cutethulu style
Shattered Planet - $2.24 (-85%) - isometric roguelike featuring short runs and progression
CAPSULE - $2.49 (-50%) - retro-computing-aesthetic floating-in-a-tin-can simulator
Din's Curse - $2.49 (-75%) - ARPG where a quest to "stop an impending invasion" will fail (and the invasion happens) if you take too long

Dungeon Warfare - $2.49 (-75%) - this is a great TD game
eversion - $2.49 (-50%) - a cute platformer
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic - $2.49 (-50%) - puzzle game with a metric gently caress-ton of puzzles - top pick
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel - $2.49 (-75%) - squad-based tactical Fallout
Immortal Defense - $2.49 (-75%) - trippy sci-fi TD, turn up the GFX to melt your eyes
PixelJunk™ Eden - $2.49 (-75%) - abstract platformer with a good soundscape
Science Girls - $2.49 (-50%) - solid RPG from Hanako Games
Spacechem - $2.49 (-75%) - like Opus Magnum but in space
Spirits of Xanadu - $2.49 (-75%) - explore a spaceship after something happened to the previous crew
System Shock 2 - $2.49 (-75%) - a classic sci-fi horror game. Go play this, or are you just a pathetic creature of meat and bone?

The Ball - $2.49 (-75%) - physics puzzle game with massive ball
This Starry Midnight We Make - $2.49 (-75%) - simulation puzzler about guiding the growth of celestial objects
Train Valley - $2.49 (-75%) - puzzle game, choo choo! - top pick
Abyss Odyssey - $2.99 (-80%) - side-scrolling action game set in late 19th-century Chile
Militia - $2.99 (-50%) - tactical puzzle game with chess-like concepts
MirrorMoon EP - $2.99 (-80%) - abstract puzzle game where working out the rules is half the puzzle
NaissanceE - $2.99 (-80%) - very atmospheric exploration game, a great experience - top pick
Pre-Civilization Marble Age - $2.99 (-50%) - turn-based strategy/puzzle guiding a greek city-state
REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR - $2.99 (-70%) - on-rails 3d shmup, where you can rotate the play-field
Hero of the Kingdom - $2.99 (-50%) - chill casual game about grinding bear asses to become the best hero ever

Unholy Heights - $3.19 (-20%) - cute apartment management sim / TDish game
Forget Me Not: My Organic Garden - $3.29 (-67%) - story-filled clicker game where you grow organic fruit for a boutique shop
TIS-100 - $3.49 (-50%) - because spacechem and infinifactory didn't melt your brain: program a lost microcomputer in a cut down version of assembly
Space Colony - $3.74 (-75%) - remastered version of a fun base-builder from 2003
Toki Tori 2+ - $3.74 (-75%) - puzzle platformer with birb - top pick
Ziggurat - $3.74 (-75%) - first-person action roguelite
Antichamber - $3.99 (-80%) - first-person-mindfuck puzzler
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - $3.99 (-80%) - charming sim/RPG, tagged "Capitalism", ho!
Triple Town - $3.99 (-60%) - place objects on a limited playfield for as long as you can. if 3 or more of the same object are adjoining, they merge into a single higher tier object
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten - $4.94 (-67%) - great tower-defense RPG

Infested Planet - $4.94 (-67%) - squad-based action game fighting a swarm of alien bugs
GemCraft - Chasing Shadows - $4.99 (-50%) - TD game with lots of leeway in how you go about each levels. Many different levels and ways to challenge yourself - top pick
Long Live The Queen - $4.99 (-50%) - I used to be a princess like you, until I got an arrow in my lung
Mini Metro - $4.99 (-50%) - subway puzzler game, has melbourne trams 5/5 - top pick
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut - $4.99 (-50%) - sci-fi first-person puzzler
The Consuming Shadow - $4.99 (-50%) - survival horror game from the guy behind the Chzo series
Thomas Was Alone - $4.99 (-50%) - puzzle-platformer with a great story
Gnomoria - $5.09 (-66%) - Dwarf Fortress but with a gui and graphics
Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal - $7.49 (-50%) - sci-fi TDalike about stopping a relentless mass of blue ooze
Desktop Dungeons - $7.49 (-50%) - puzzle game disguised as a roguelike
Disgaea PC - $7.49 (-50%) - rule the netherworld by throwing exploding penguins, dood
Road Not Taken - $7.49 (-50%) - puzzle game from makers of Triple Town

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would only support the mobile version of Triple Town. The dev gave up halfway on the PC version.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is Strafe any good now? It looked kinda cool in the leadup to release, but apparently wasn't so great initially. Heard updates improved things, but is it worth picking up?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oxyclean posted:

Is Strafe any good now? It looked kinda cool in the leadup to release, but apparently wasn't so great initially. Heard updates improved things, but is it worth picking up?

Just wait for Dusk instead, imo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mango sentinel posted:

Skooma, what is your avatar from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkVHvD-IMbg

She Was a Hotel Detective - They Might Be Giants

Hopper posted:

I have an itch to play a rally driving game. Like the old codemasters Colin McRae ones but modern. Any recommendations?

Dirt Rally is the king of rally sims right now. If you have a wheel, there's no question about it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mordja posted:

Just buy Dusk instead, imo.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

il_cornuto posted:

I personally had a lot of fun playing it through several times in single player, but I might be in the minority there.
As did I. Just a little over 300 hours played in BL2 according to Steam, and not a second of it in multiplayer.

Caveat: almost all of that was on the two DLC characters – the vanilla classes never clicked with me. Gaige and Krieg are amazing, though.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 31, 2017

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Hopper posted:

Haven’t played WRC but Dirt Rally is a return to good old rally racing. As someone who loved Dirt 2 and hated 3 for all the bullshit required gymkhana races, Rally was exactly what I was looking for.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Are there any good games that generate levels based off your music, besides Audiosurf and Beat Hazard?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there any good games that generate levels based off your music, besides Audiosurf and Beat Hazard?

Crypt of the Necrodancer, kind of, not really. It'll take any song of yours and convert it into usable tracks, which is really cool.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I thought Riff Racer was kinda neat.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Can anyone recommend Star Traders: Frontiers, in particular how "early" is it in Early Access, and how regularly has it been updated? Looks sort of like a 40K Rogue Trader game, which sounds pretty sweet, but from reading some of the Steam reviews and from the game page, I'm not entirely clear on how the RPG elements and "classic roguelike" elements mix together. Seems interesting, though. Anyone played it?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks picked up Dirt Rally. I bought a steamcode from MMOGA because it's 5.99€ there which is lower than steam.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Oh now damnit I was hoping Divinity Original Sin II would get a deeper discount.:argh:

Is Quantum Break worth $10?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 31, 2017

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

-Blackadder- posted:

Oh now damnit I was hoping Divinity Original Sin II would get a deeper discount.:argh:

Is Quantum Break worth $10?

If you really want Quantum Break it's part of the Monthly Humble Bundle currently going on.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

McCoy Pauley posted:

Can anyone recommend Star Traders: Frontiers, in particular how "early" is it in Early Access, and how regularly has it been updated? Looks sort of like a 40K Rogue Trader game, which sounds pretty sweet, but from reading some of the Steam reviews and from the game page, I'm not entirely clear on how the RPG elements and "classic roguelike" elements mix together. Seems interesting, though. Anyone played it?

Haven't played much but what's there is pretty good, and 40K Rogue Trader with the serial numbers filed off is 100% accurate.

It is still fairly early in the EA part and I only got it a couple days ago so I can't tell you how good they are about updating and stuff, but what's there is decent.

e; Also I picked up Prey after deciding not to and I'm glad I changed my mind because I'm less than an hour in and I am already super here for this, this poo poo is incredible.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

If you really want Quantum Break it's part of the Monthly Humble Bundle currently going on.

I honestly dunno, should I want it? I heard it was pretty disappointing when it came out but not much beyond that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Oxyclean posted:

If you want a decent FPS Roguelite, STRAFE is no longer a bad choice. If you're pining for a dose of classic 90's FPS mayhem, STRAFE--despite all of its marketing efforts to the contrary--is probably not what you're looking for.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Kind of broke this holiday season but I'd be remiss if I didn't pick up at least one game during a Steam sale. Of the stuff on my wishlist under :10bux:, what do you like?

Dragon Age: Origins
VtM Bloodlines
Talos Principle
Axiom Verge
Fallout NV Ultimate Edition
Hollow Knight
Salt and Sanctuary
Baldur's Gate EE (1 or 2 but the rules-follower in me wants to start with 1 even though I hear low-level 2E D&D is a slog)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Personally I like Fallout the best out of all of those, but I prefer first and third person rpgs opposed to 2D and that isometric mess, so your preferences may differ.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If you want a decent FPS Roguelite, STRAFE is no longer a bad choice. If you're pining for a dose of classic 90's FPS mayhem, STRAFE--despite all of its marketing efforts to the contrary--is probably not what you're looking for.

Thats what I was kinda figuring. Dusk, as others suggested, seems like a way better choice for a 90's fps, but I've sorta wanted an fps roguelike for awhile now and Strafe seems tempting.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 31, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

C-Euro posted:

Kind of broke this holiday season but I'd be remiss if I didn't pick up at least one game during a Steam sale. Of the stuff on my wishlist under :10bux:, what do you like?

VtM Bloodlines
Talos Principle
Axiom Verge
Hollow Knight
Salt and Sanctuary
Baldur's Gate EE (1 or 2 but the rules-follower in me wants to start with 1 even though I hear low-level 2E D&D is a slog)

Well I think people would generally agree that most of those are "classic" or quintessential games in their respective genres. I suppose it depends on what sort of game you're looking for. If you're in the mood for a platforming "Metroidvania", you currently can't do a whole lot better than Hollow Knight. I'd tend to strongly recommend New Vegas if you're in the mood for an RPG with actual agency--even over classics like Bloodlines, DA:O, and Baldur's Gate. And Talos Principle is hands-down one of my favorite first-person puzzle games...I even prefer it over similar titles like Portal 1 & 2 and The Witness.

Between all of them I'd say either Talos, New Vegas, or Hollow Knight. They are all fantastic games in their genres and provide a tremendous amount of "bang" for your buck.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Thats what I was kinda figuring. Dusk, as others suggested, seems like a way better choice for a retro-shooter, but I've sorta wanted an fps roguelike for awhile now and Strafe seems tempting.

If that's the case, you'll probably enjoy STRAFE. I bought it after they started making earnest efforts to correct its deficiencies, put about 50 hours into it, and don't regret the purchase or the experience.

I would also highly recommend Immortal Redneck if you haven't played it. It's one of the best FPS Roguelites I've played, which is shocking because it initially presented itself as goofy, bargain bin experience made by a developer whose catalog was almost entirely forgettable mobile games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

C-Euro posted:

If you have FO3, there is a mod that merges both games into a super game.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

C-Euro posted:

VtM Bloodlines
Talos Principle
Axiom Verge
Hollow Knight
Salt and Sanctuary

New Vegas, although I hear Hollow Knight and Talos are good deals as well

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Between all of them I'd say either Talos, New Vegas, or Hollow Knight. They are all fantastic games in their genres and provide a tremendous amount of "bang" for your buck.

Yeah exactly this.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

C-Euro posted:

Dragon Age: Origins--new Bioware at its decentest. Can be summed up as Fantasy Mass Effect 1 with all that entails. Fantasy setting, compose your own party, lots of party banter and interaction, decent real time with pause tactical combat. Arguably a classic but not the best on the list.

VtM Bloodlines--FPS/RPG in an early version of the Source Engine. Memorable characters and a clever story in the classic old World of Darkness setting. Use vampiric powers, melee weapons, guns, and guile to survive. Play politics with the local Primogens and Prince. Explore Santa Monica at night. Runs well once you get the unofficial patches. A classic.

Talos Principle--Portal with philosophy. Wait wait don't go it's actually good with clever puzzles and a thoughtful story if you like that sort of thing. Good, not sure I'd call it a classic but very good for what it is.

Axiom Verge--not played it.

Fallout NV Ultimate Edition--Obsidian at its best. Take the Fallout 3 engine and mod in an actual story, characters, and interesting setting, and interesting factions that respond to your choices. Then get actual mods and make it even better. A classic and a ton of value for your money.

Hollow Knight--the best of the 2D Dark Souls. Gorgeous and haunting environments. Clever combat, although personally it feels a little floaty to me.

Salt and Sanctuary--not played it. I understand it's another 2D Dark Souls, but I can tell you it's not the best 2D Dark Souls.

Baldur's Gate EE (1 or 2 but the rules-follower in me wants to start with 1 even though I hear low-level 2E D&D is a slog)--old Bioware at its best. If you're willing to tolerate the arcane 2.5 DnD system, you'll discover how Bioware made a name for itself and just how far they've fallen since. Real time with pause combat system with clever engaging encounters. Assemble a party of detailed characters with extensive interactions (hmm, this sounds just like Dragon Age!) Another game with a vast variety of mods, most of which are compatible with the enhanced edition without much messing around. A classic. Regarding your question as to where to start, it varies. I played the trilogy all the way through using the BG trilogy series of mods and felt that the experience of becoming godlike was greatly enriched by starting out as a pathetic weakling running from a wolf in the woods. But if there's any risk that you would get frustrated with BG1 and give up before starting BG2, then I would say start at 2. Don't miss experiencing the classic.

Of them, I would highly recommend:
Baldur's Gate
Fallout NV
Vampire TM Bloodlines

I'd recommend:
Talos Principle
Dragon Age
Hollow Knight

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

Hollow Knight--the best of the 2D Dark Souls. Gorgeous and haunting environments. Clever combat, although personally it feels a little floaty to me.

I wouldn't call Hollow Knight a 2D Dark Souls, certainly not in the same way that Salt & Sanctuary is. There are obviously elements of Hollow Knight inspired by Dark Souls, but it doesn't have the RPG aspects, or the emphasis on combat and replaying very hard sections and bosses until you learn them and it does have a lot more platforming and an even bigger focus on exploration - basically, it's a metroidvania that takes inspiration from Dark Souls among other things. I love them both, but saying HK is a 2D Dark Souls gives the wrong expectations IMO.

In particular, there is a lot of combat and some hard bosses in Hollow Knight, but it's a lot simpler and closer to Castlevania fights than anything in Dark Souls.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Axiom verge is really good if you like metroidvanias with a twist. The weird biomechanical and existential stuff in the story and world are neat, and the powerups and traversal abilities are very cool and unique. It's quite short to run through, like eight hours or so, but you can easily spend more time to get 100%, speed runs etc. The collection part in the game is pretty fun, there isn't a lot of repetition.

The art style is between nes and Snes with some cool effects, and I dig it. The sound is good and I love the soundtrack.

Hollow knight is the better, longer, more polished metroidvania, but I heartily recommend both if you're into the genre.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Salt and Sanctuary is literally 2D Dark Souls. Hollow Knight has the DS death mechanics that every game is emulating now, but other than that I wouldn't say its primary influence is DS at all. It's very much a metroidvania and it's got a strong case as the best ever in the genre.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

100+ goons gifted. Thanks everyone.

Докатились, отлетались. Всем спасибо, все свободны.

Remember to ride the gift train and/or post a trip report if you were gifted.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Xander77 posted:

100+ goons gifted. Thanks everyone.

Докатились, отлетались. Всем спасибо, все свободны.

Remember to ride the gift train and/or post a trip report if you were gifted.

I need to play that game I got soon. Also why you take a picture while I was idling in a awful game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well I think people would generally agree that most of those are "classic" or quintessential games in their respective genres. I suppose it depends on what sort of game you're looking for. If you're in the mood for a platforming "Metroidvania", you currently can't do a whole lot better than Hollow Knight. I'd tend to strongly recommend New Vegas if you're in the mood for an RPG with actual agency--even over classics like Bloodlines, DA:O, and Baldur's Gate. And Talos Principle is hands-down one of my favorite first-person puzzle games...I even prefer it over similar titles like Portal 1 & 2 and The Witness.

When you put it like that, I have both a first-person puzzle game and Bethesda RPG that I need to finish, but not Metroidvania currently on the docket. Hollow Knight it is, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Spare Steam key for The Long Dark from the January 2018 Humble Monthly Bundle. First come first served. Claimed.

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 31, 2017

• Locked thread