Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Where in Norway are you located? Bergen goon here.

Just start hitting up Finn.no and apply for anything and everything. Also go to all the staffing/consulting agencies. Developers, coders and UX designers are in HUGE demand everywhere.

I do recognize your situation, and a lot of it has to do with Norwegian work culture. I'm also temping at the moment, but I'm an uneducated computer janitor who has managed to pretend his way into a sysadmin position. Hit me up on PMs if you wanna chat, I might be able to give you some pointers.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

evobatman posted:

Just start hitting up Finn.no and apply for anything and everything.

Is there a list of country-specific job sites anywhere? Trying to browse indeed or glassdoor for jobs abroad doesn't give many results. Does each country in Europe use its own job board?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you need any more websites done, export it to thread goons. At minimum the job will be done well, and you’ll have someone outside the office to bitch with.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 27, 2023

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zero Gravitas posted:

I've managed to put my career in a field that has lots of jobs in the UK but virtually none in Norway
Think I found the solution to your problem...

Seriously. Not as if Norway is some magical fairyland, right? Just do the sensible thing and find a job in UK.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 27, 2023

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Zero Gravitas posted:

Pretty difficult to persuade your Norwegian wife to move back to the place you left only in July with all your stuff, not least because childcare here is chump change compared to the UK.

Can you just check out at work and find fulfillment elsewhere? Let apathy wrap you in its warm blanket-like embrace while at work. Millions (billions?) of people do it every day.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Zero Gravitas posted:

... unhappy with job in Norway ...

If you did the 'meh job' using their lovely methods, would you be able to not go insane and keep your job for a long time? If so, try to power through it. Perhaps you will gain their trust, and one day you'll be able to do things your way. These things take time.

But if you think you'll go insane or if job security is far from certain, perhaps start working on your exit.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
If you happen to relocate to Oslo, send me a PM and I can probably set you up for an interview for a "large international technology consulting firm" that I work for. And if not in my company, pretty much every technology firm here are looking for more people, if you have relevant experience. If you don't speak/write at least basic Norwegian, that should probably be your first goal, especially in the consulting business.

Sorry if this was a derail!

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zero Gravitas posted:

Pretty difficult to persuade your Norwegian wife to move back to the place you left only in July with all your stuff, not least because childcare here is chump change compared to the UK.
Then, you appear to have made a series of ill-considered decisions.

That being the case, there is no easy answer. You have to weigh your situation and decide for yourself what is truly important for you.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 31, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
gently caress off, John Smith.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

therobit posted:

You gently caress off. :) Ah, such a productive and meaningful exchange.

I really do think that it is all you this time around though? But not sure how the other forum folks see it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

John Smith posted:

But not sure how the other forum folks see it.

As usual, you are the only one who doesn't realize you're wrong, rude and unhelpful.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

As usual, you are the only one who doesn't realize you're wrong, rude and unhelpful.
Completely disagree. I have always realized I am often rude and not necessarily helpful. As for me being wrong, you yourself are wrong if you mean factually wrong while I accept your opinion if you merely mean my values/opinions are offensive. After all, my gimmick is all about being honest. Hard to play it off if I don't apply it to myself, right?

But in this specific case, I think my post is actively constructive. He made some decisions, which significantly constraints him. From his post, he apparently didn't realize the extent of these constraints beforehand. Now that he realizes it, he must weigh his preferences and decide on a trade-off. He cannot achieve everything, so no point bemoaning that. Instead, he should select his most important preference and accept the trade-offs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

therobit posted:

Emptyquote this forever.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I think John Smith is hinting at this question: "What was your back-up plan if your gig in Norway didn't work out?" and if there was no back-up plan: "Have a back-up plan in the future."

I'm not victim blaming here. But my dad was in a similar situation once (poo poo job, forced to do it because my mom pressured him into it) and the poo poo job ruined his health, ultimately his marriage, and it was a step back in terms of career development. He resents her and his old job to this day, 17 years after it all happened, and I get to hear his stories at least every other week. It's like talking to somebody with PTSD.

Bottom line: You need to strike a balance between emotional health, physical health, career. Try to not work yourself into a corner where one of these gets thrown out the window. I'm a stranger so I don't know what balance is right for you.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theHUNGERian posted:

I think John Smith is hinting at this question: "What was your back-up plan if your gig in Norway didn't work out?" and if there was no back-up plan: "Have a back-up plan in the future."
Sort of. But I was thinking more that he should have researched the situation in Norway more clearly before he went. Unless he did realize that it is very difficult to find a job in his industry in Norway, and yet still went.

Basically, my point is that he ***cannot*** achieve all his objectives. Therefore, he must weight the different objectives and accept the trade-offs. Below links offer more detail.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_analysis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimal_decision

Right now, he (and some of the posters?) seems to be trying to find a solution that ends up with him happy (all objectives met). He should abandon such an attempt because it cannot be done and said failure to achieve it will only distress him and waste his resources. But you know, apparently not suggesting a magical fairyland is beyond the pale here in SA. drat, you guys are real hardcore leftists? Nothing is ever anybody's fault, and nothing can ever be done about anything. I am not sure how some of you function in real life.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

John Smith posted:

Sort of. But I was thinking more that he should have researched the situation in Norway more clearly before he went. Unless he did realize that it is very difficult to find a job in his industry in Norway, and yet still went.

Basically, my point is that he ***cannot*** achieve all his objectives. Therefore, he must weight the different objectives and accept the trade-offs. Below links offer more detail.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_analysis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimal_decision

Right now, he (and some of the posters?) seems to be trying to find a solution that ends up with him happy (all objectives met). He should abandon such an attempt because it cannot be done and said failure to achieve it will only distress him and waste his resources. But you know, apparently not suggesting a magical fairyland is beyond the pale here in SA. drat, you guys are real hardcore leftists? Nothing is ever anybody's fault, and nothing can ever be done about anything. I am not sure how some of you function in real life.

Well, then we disagree, and that's ok. Happiness is totally achievable. https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Soren Kierkegaard posted:

"I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations — one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it — you will regret both.”

Soren Kierkegaard also posted:

Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way. Laugh at the world’s foolishness, you will regret it; weep over it, you will regret that too; laugh at the world’s foolishness or weep over it, you will regret both. Believe a woman, you will regret it; believe her not, you will also regret it… Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will regret that too; hang yourself or don’t hang yourself, you’ll regret it either way; whether you hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both. This, gentlemen, is the essence of all philosophy.

He went to Norway, now he hits a hard time. He knows this. Stop kicking a man who is down.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theHUNGERian posted:

Well, then we disagree, and that's ok. Happiness is totally achievable. https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy
No, you misunderstood me. I meant that he cannot achieve happiness if it is defined as perfectly meeting all of his objectives. Instead, he should accept that real-world constraints apply and set a realistic objective.

Keetron posted:

He went to Norway, now he hits a hard time. He knows this. Stop kicking a man who is down.
Yes, we all know this. But the question is why?

The dinner plate broke. It broke specifically because you dropped the dinner plate onto the floor. It didn't magically break. In order for the dinner plate to not break in the future, you must first identify and address the cause(s) that led to it breaking. Stating that the dinner plate broke because he dropped it is not hostile (aka therobit, Motronic, Jordan7hm) nor kicking him (aka Keetron).

Once again, I don't fully appreciate how some of you survive in the real world. But maybe I am the one at fault for misunderstanding. Are you saying that it is not true [A], or are you saying that it is rude to say aloud such truths [B]?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Be careful not to cut yourself on that edge, John.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Just put the walrus on your ignore list.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

John Smith posted:

No, you misunderstood me. I meant that he cannot achieve happiness if it is defined as perfectly meeting all of his objectives. Instead, he should accept that real-world constraints apply and set a realistic objective.
Yes, we all know this. But the question is why?

The dinner plate broke. It broke specifically because you dropped the dinner plate onto the floor. It didn't magically break. In order for the dinner plate to not break in the future, you must first identify and address the cause(s) that led to it breaking. Stating that the dinner plate broke because he dropped it is not hostile (aka therobit, Motronic, Jordan7hm) nor kicking him (aka Keetron).

Once again, I don't fully appreciate how some of you survive in the real world. But maybe I am the one at fault for misunderstanding. Are you saying that it is not true [A], or are you saying that it is rude to say aloud such truths [B]?

When I break a diner plate, I fix up some other way to loving eat before writing a goddamn diatribe about how I’m too smart to ever break a dinner plate, you pantshitting shitfucker.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

therobit posted:

Be careful not to cut yourself on that edge, John.
Not being edgy. Just honestly think there is something very wrong with some of you.

FrozenVent posted:

When I break a diner plate, I fix up some other way to loving eat before writing a goddamn diatribe about how I’m too smart to ever break a dinner plate, you pantshitting shitfucker.

Of course even someone of my calibre can make mistakes. I make mistakes all the time, both bad and numerous. My point is that you learn from your mistakes and work towards success. Which many of you take great offence at. Zero Gravitas should address his current career situation and take protective measures for the future. One does not preclude the other.

But still, the strong SA consensus does seem to differ. I think I probably misjudged the political tone here, even more than I had thought. Fair enough.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Can you fuckers stop replying to the Alexandr rereg, thank you and namaste.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 27, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I can't confirm but I have a good gut feeling that John Smith posted something stupid again.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's 2018 folks how do you not have him on ignore by now

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zero Gravitas posted:

John Smith, in the nicest possible sense, please go and gently caress your hat.

I'm pretty sure he's doing that constantly. While lecturing the hat that if it didn't want to wind up in a life of being hosed constantly by a randroid, it shouldn't have chosen to be a hat.

Good luck, anyway. Hopefully you can find something in Norway where you won't have to deal with the poo poo storm that is brexit back here

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Fil5000 posted:

I'm pretty sure he's doing that constantly. While lecturing the hat that if it didn't want to wind up in a life of being hosed constantly by a randroid, it shouldn't have chosen to be a hat.

Good luck, anyway. Hopefully you can find something in Norway where you won't have to deal with the poo poo storm that is brexit back here

Jumping on that, can you already notice the Brexit fallout in the UK at the moment? On the other side of the North Sea people are happy to see a bunch of Euro centric companies come and move their headquarters from London to Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Brussels but how is stuff going down in the labor market in the UK?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Keetron posted:

Jumping on that, can you already notice the Brexit fallout in the UK at the moment? On the other side of the North Sea people are happy to see a bunch of Euro centric companies come and move their headquarters from London to Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Brussels but how is stuff going down in the labor market in the UK?

I don't feel like anything has really hit yet. Given the promise of a two year transition arrangement I think a lot of companies are focusing on mid/long term plans rather than making immediate moves. I know in my field I was getting calls from recruiters in November and December, which is later than usual, but I don't know if that's positions that would normally be getting filled by EU citizens who aren't taking a chance on the UK or if it's companies that were holding off on staffing calls until there was a bit more certainty in the negotiations or something else entirely.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 27, 2023

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zero Gravitas posted:

I do quite like being told that accomodating my wife and kid in this process is "making a series of ill considered decisions."
Given the information you stated, either you were wrong then or you are wrong now.

Unless you knew and accepted that the risk was not only present, but considerable (given the lack of relevant alternative positions due to Norway's economic structure). In which case, fair enough. But you wedged yourself into a tough spot (even if for a good reason, family), now you must accept that you cannot meet all of your objectives.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 1, 2018

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

John Smith posted:

But still, the strong SA consensus does seem to differ. I think I probably misjudged the political tone here, even more than I had thought. Fair enough.

People, even you, aren't acknowledging that they're only hearing half the story, when there's three sides: ZG's side, the company side, and the truth. And there's always the undertone in peoples posts that 'I'm underutilized, underpaid, not doing what I was hired to do, didn't get the corner office on the first day, if I leave the company falls apart, etc etc etc' and other (admittedly) hyperbole. Maybe dude got hired and the company realized he couldn't do the thing he was hired to do, maybe it's all a test to see how he handles adversity, or simply his FJD changed for *reasons they (or he) hasn't shared*. Or its a simple case of being an unreliable narrator.

Hell, I'll hire a brand new hot shot $80,000 a year salary project manager and make him or her do the most mundane tasks just to see if they CAN do the simple stuff to instruction and not whinge about it (why yes, you ARE going to be tasked with going to all the company vehicles and making sure all are up to date on maintenance and in good working order instead of the shiny new project we were just awarded). I want to make sure you can handle a simple A through C before I give you the reigns to a complex A through Z (resume and/or education be damned).

The proverbial you has to pay your dues. Suck it up, princess.

All that said, go against the SA hivemind groupthink, and you'll surely hear about it. Probably even get probated for it.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Tide posted:

All that said, go against the SA hivemind groupthink, and you'll surely hear about it. Probably even get probated for it.
imagine being the person who sees john smith's posts and decides he needs to be more of a tool

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

imagine being the person who sees john smith's posts

I was this kind of person once and then I blocked them and y'all should too.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tide posted:

People, even you, aren't acknowledging that they're only hearing half the story, when there's three sides: ZG's side, the company side, and the truth. And there's always the undertone in peoples posts that 'I'm underutilized, underpaid, not doing what I was hired to do, didn't get the corner office on the first day, if I leave the company falls apart, etc etc etc' and other (admittedly) hyperbole. Maybe dude got hired and the company realized he couldn't do the thing he was hired to do, maybe it's all a test to see how he handles adversity, or simply his FJD changed for *reasons they (or he) hasn't shared*. Or its a simple case of being an unreliable narrator.

Hell, I'll hire a brand new hot shot $80,000 a year salary project manager and make him or her do the most mundane tasks just to see if they CAN do the simple stuff to instruction and not whinge about it (why yes, you ARE going to be tasked with going to all the company vehicles and making sure all are up to date on maintenance and in good working order instead of the shiny new project we were just awarded). I want to make sure you can handle a simple A through C before I give you the reigns to a complex A through Z (resume and/or education be damned).

so basically either your company doesn't know how to evaluate candidates for the skills needed for a job or takes highly capable people and hazes them through a series of meaningless tasks to "earn" the right to do the work they were hired to do?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah I get the whole "earning your due" thing for interns and entry level, but testing project managers is supposed to be part of the hiring process.

If I caught you sending an 80k /yr project manager to check vehicle maintenance record, a job best suited for a maintenance helper at 30k / yr, I'd give you a earful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Tide is actually entirely useless and needs to personally asses the toilet-training capabilities of new hires to hide the fact that they're incapable of providing value to the company.