Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Guess I'm taping a piece of paper to the shoulder of all my sweatshirts tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
If I ever get shot and killed I hope it's by a cop and not some guy in fingerless gloves wearing a t-shirt, shin guards, and a trilby.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Preen Dog posted:

They made a million dollars less than last year.

CiG has jumped the shark!
:toot::same::toot:

It’s still close enough to reinforce the narrative of steady state demand and thus reinforce general confidence to the mega-whales, And that is a “victory” in itself because YTD trends looked quite dismal only two months prior and a massive multi-claim lawsuit went public only two weeks prior. Yet the miracle tracking turnaround transpired anyway... (as predicted in my blog!)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 1, 2018

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

boviscopophobic posted:

2017 is officially in the books, by UTC time anyway! Here are the yearly funding totals:

2014: $32,933,409.17
2015: $35,966,958.00
2016: $36,099,259.42
2017: $34,913,002.15

As the graph shows, they were really in the hole before the land/anniversary sale, which at least pulled them ahead of 2014.

Speaking of the anniversary sale, it has become a greater and greater percentage of their yearly take over the years. A quick estimate is below. (I don't have precise sale ending times, and sale lengths are getting murkier with pre-sale sales and so forth, so I just assumed all sales lasted 12 days.)

2014: Anniversary sale provided 12.8% of annual revenue.
2015: Anniversary sale provided 14.2% of annual revenue.
2016: Anniversary sale provided 19.2% of annual revenue.
2017: Anniversary sale provided 23.4% of annual revenue.

This is totally normal and not at all suspicious that a company that has yet to even release a product is making the exact same amount of money year in year out with a variance of a few million dollars

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It really is insane how high the graph tilted with the land sale. And its not appreciable anywhere. The communities are as insular as they have always been, dissent is on the rise, the product continues to be junk and the content they are showing off has never been more smoke and mirrors.

I can understand last years surge during Gamescon, there was a whole lot more hype around it. But all of it ended up being fake considering that a year and half after showing it off is it actually out for players and its a fraction of what they promised and performance issues that can drop a servers fps to the single digits. I'm not seeing that sort of hype the past few months, quite the opposite. Its sort of anti hype.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 1, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

thatguy posted:

The blocked clowns are beginning to revolt. The thread will be cast into 100 pages of darkness unless Skadden, Bootcha, or Agent can save us.

I'm sure there is one lawsuit that will rule us all.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
The funding tracker nearly hit 0 for an hour the day the CryTek lawsuit showed up. Backer's open-wallet approach has me coinvinced it could be 100% accurate outside of refunds and the only way to know for sure is full on discovery.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Virtual Captain posted:

The funding tracker nearly hit 0 for an hour the day the CryTek lawsuit showed up. Backer's open-wallet approach has me coinvinced it could be 100% accurate outside of refunds and the only way to know for sure is full on discovery.

That funding tracker is about as accurate as asking yourself how big your dick is on prom night.

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

Mr Fronts posted:

How can the hand of this spaceman press buttons in a different spaceship? His arms aren't that long, and there are two panes of glass to clip through consider.

He sure aint using his cock...or mine...

Perhaps he is using laser cock

Baldness fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 1, 2018

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

how do you get one of those blocked buddies gangtags?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

It would be handy to have some kind of way to evaluate the number of subscribers active at any given time.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

juggalo baby coffin posted:

how do you get one of those blocked buddies gangtags?

This

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Berious posted:

Hail yourselves!

hail gein

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

star citizen is a waste

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Solarin posted:

star citizen is a waste

So this must be tracking expanding wastelines

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

boviscopophobic posted:

2017 is officially in the books, by UTC time anyway! Here are the yearly funding totals:

2014: $32,933,409.17
2015: $35,966,958.00
2016: $36,099,259.42
2017: $34,913,002.15

As the graph shows, they were really in the hole before the land/anniversary sale, which at least pulled them ahead of 2014.

Speaking of the anniversary sale, it has become a greater and greater percentage of their yearly take over the years. A quick estimate is below. (I don't have precise sale ending times, and sale lengths are getting murkier with pre-sale sales and so forth, so I just assumed all sales lasted 12 days.)

2014: Anniversary sale provided 12.8% of annual revenue.
2015: Anniversary sale provided 14.2% of annual revenue.
2016: Anniversary sale provided 19.2% of annual revenue.
2017: Anniversary sale provided 23.4% of annual revenue.

Maybe the Coutts loan got put to the best use possible — fuel injected demand to keep confidence afloat. The deflation is perceptible externally yet negated via the internally controlled authority of the tracker.

I’m also increasingly convinced that the year-end livestream was constructed with a new 3rd party audience primarily in mind: either the British Tax authority or Coutts (though it could be both.) The entire non-game segments were remedial, introductory, and at times conspicuously false.

Now it’s possible that the hope for it was to educate the general gaming public about Squadron 42 and stoke opt-in demand for their mailing list. Yet we can intuitively discern invisible machinery at work here; we don’t need to see the gears turning and pistons firing to sense the directed movement. It’s in the miracle correction in the tracker and in that year-end video..

I made note recently of a conspicuous moment of falsehood in the year-end livestream. It may seem a minor thing, Chambers claim that everyone under Hannes is solely dedicated to Squadron 42. Yet we know this hasn’t ever been historically true and “The Road to CitizenCon” is but one of many CIG transmissions that invalidates his claim.

Who is the audience that needs to believe the Director of Cinematics is leading a team solely dedicated to Squadron? It’s not the mega-whales; by and large such news would be bad news because they’re invested in Star Citizen ships. Yet the specificity of the claim would render it extraneous to the prospective Squadron tire-kickers. So who are really talking to, CIG? And a wee bit falsely?

It wouldn’t be the first time Chambers hit a false note for the team. He was one of those offering the “we can’t show any of Squadron because spoilers!” excuse that CIG cooked up in the months after supposedly pulling their hour long Squadron vertical slice at the last minute. It was bogus and the year-end demo makes that plainly clear.

Their year ends in a highly atypical fashion. Prior year-end livestreams traditionally served a real-time comedy of unforced errors aimed at and forgiven by the core faithful. The carelessness and clumsiness was always a selling feature. The stakes were always high, as the year-end fundraising drive was the topping off of the cash tank maneuver that needed to fuel them throughout the slow season, yet you’d never have guessed it from CIG’s bumbling. They never even bothered with technical redundancy or rehearsals. Chris and Sandi didn’t care if they looked stupid or unprepared. Ill-advised though it always was, it conveyed confidence of self.

This year was different, very different. Nothing left to chance. A message aimed at a different audience about a game that is not now nor ever has been a meaningful revenue contributor. Why? Why when release is so far away and pre-sales a harder sell with a much lower, fixed per unit yield?

What changed, CIG? What’s really behind all these weird deviations from script. It’s hard to fully make sense of what’s afoot but it’s clear something’s different and it looks a lot like fear.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 1, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Please someone put me on the list to get this tag.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

Maybe the Coutts loan got put to the best use possible — fuel injected demand to keep confidence afloat. The deflation is perceptible externally yet negated via the internally controlled authority of the tracker.

I’m also increasingly convinced that the year-end livestream was constructed with a new 3rd party audience primarily in mind: either the British Tax authority or Coutts (though it could be both.) The entire non-game segments were remedial, introductory, and at times conspicuously false.

Now it’s possible that the hope for it was to educate the general gaming public about Squadron 42 and stoke opt-in demand for their mailing list. Yet we can intuitively discern invisible machinery at work here; we don’t need to see the gears turning and pistons firing to sense the directed movement. It’s in the miracle correction in the tracker and in that year-end video..

I made note recently of a conspicuous moment of falsehood in the year-end livestream. It may seem a minor thing, Chambers claim that everyone under Hannes is solely dedicated to Squadron 42. Yet we know this hasn’t ever been historically true and “The Road to CitizenCon” is but one of many CIG transmissions that invalidates his claim.

Who is the audience that needs to believe the Director of Cinematics is leading a team solely dedicated to Squadron? It’s not the mega-whales; by and large such news would be bad news because they’re invested in Star Citizen ships. Yet the specificity of the claim would render it extraneous to the prospective Squadron tire-kickers. So who are really talking to, CIG? And a wee bit falsely?

It wouldn’t be the first time Chambers hit a false note for the team. He was one of those offering the “we can’t show any of Squadron because ”spoilers!” excuse that CIG cooked up in the months after supposedly pulling their hour long Squadron vertical slice at the last minute. It was bogus and the year-end demo makes that plainly clear.

Their year ends in a highly atypical fashion. Prior year-end livestreams traditionally served a real-time comedy of unforced errors aimed at and forgiven by the core faithful. The carelessness and clumsiness was always a selling feature. The stakes were always high, as the year-end fundraising drive was the topping off of the cash tank maneuver that needed to fuel them throughout the slow season, yet you’d never have guessed it from CIG’s bumbling. They never even bothered with technical redundancy or rehearsals. Chris and Sandi didn’t care if they looked stupid or unprepared. Ill-advised though it always was, it conveyed confidence of self.

This year was different, very different. Nothing left to chance. A message aimed at a different audience about a game that is not now nor ever has been a meaningful revenue contributor. Why? Why when release is so far away and pre-sales a harder sell with a much lower, fixed per unit yield?

What changed, CIG? What’s really behind all these weird deviations from script. It’s hard to fully make sense of what’s a foot but it’s clear something’s different and it looks a lot like fear.

Good post. The central question is pertinent: why was this year's livestream so different? It was aimed at a different audience, about a different product, showing footage of each invididual studio, one at a time, as if displaying evidence before it's requested. Backers didn't need to see any of that - they already bought CIG's narrative. Who needed to see this? Once you start thinking along those lines, the last-minute 24-hour delay starts looking more interesting.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

2018 is the year of subtle hype.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Gosts posted:

Please someone put me on the list to get this tag.

same

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

Now that Montoya has forced my hand, I'm not going to spend time and resources on a single lawsuit, seeing as I've been working on this for months now. It's a complete mystery how /r/ds just closed up shop.

It's a dragnet. And I'm not going on a fishing trip. I have never - ever - walked into a court case I didn't prevail in, simply because I'm neither stupid, nor do I take them lightly.

I am just not going to wait any longer, even though complaints can be amended at any time, I've had it with these guys and their baseless accusations of my having committed crimes.

It would be highly amusing if all cig streamers were pulled off the air because of a lawsuit.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Because I know he's going to delete it.

to the SPACE COURT! LOL

why does everyone who gets offended goes to court? settle it like man-child and do a fist fight!!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I did not know that citizencon had a photo booth that posted photos online. https://gcphotobooth.smugmug.com/Green-Screen-Events/Citizencon-2014/Citizencon-PhotoBooth-Prints/

Take a look at some very cringeworthy shots. Post your favorites.

Here's mine:

We all know Chris immediately snatched that money out of his hand after the photo.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Hacking in game confirmed! Game's getting better and better! Eat your heart out, goonies! :grin:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

looks like the hobo is getting ready to look for a new job

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"I got yo money!!"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

spacetoaster posted:

Here's the full thing:

I remember this now. I thought it was sick then too. :(

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This album is pretty funny because you can see Chris getting progressively dunk as the night goes on.

https://gcphotobooth.smugmug.com/Green-Screen-Events/Citizencon-2014/Citizencon-Green-Screen-Prints/

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Virtual Captain posted:

surely there must be down time over the past 5 years where there has been 0 income. I cant think of time where it has never been at 0 and just look at any other funding and there is regular down time and spikes of high volume.

Here there is a floor that never gets below a certain amount and that is what seems wrong.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

I did not know that citizencon had a photo booth that posted photos online. https://gcphotobooth.smugmug.com/Green-Screen-Events/Citizencon-2014/Citizencon-PhotoBooth-Prints/

Take a look at some very cringeworthy shots. Post your favorites.

Here's mine:

We all know Chris immediately snatched that money out of his hand after the photo.

If I was in Chris Roberts' position I wouldn't even be able to look backers in the eye, let alone pal around with them like I wasn't tossing their life savings into a furnace. What an rear end.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Imagine if Coutts, when getting wind of the CryTek lawsuit, and being owners of the Squadron 42 IP, found their loan agreement in jeopardy. Particularly if the value of their collateral was suddenly in question. Such an event would definitely warrant some confidence-building on CIG's part that Coutts' trust and money was not misplaced - perhaps in the form of a holiday video focusing purely on that IP, and displaying evidence of a worldwide programming effort toward its completion. A nice in-game walkthrough of some hallways - paper-thin to real gamers, but convincing to pencil-pushers - completes the look.

Of course, if any of that were true, the bank would obviously want to give the video a once-over before allowing CIG to release it to the general public, particularly since it could affect the value of their investment. If knowledge of the broadcast was brought to their attention last-minute, they'd likely request a delay until they could review it. Sometimes you can't release things on their target dates, you understand - bureaucracy, red tape, etc. Finding out last-minute that you aren't approved isn't all that rare.

Blaming it on water main breaks, on the other hand, is not so common.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wise Learned Man posted:

If I was in Chris Roberts' position I wouldn't even be able to look backers in the eye, let alone pal around with them like I wasn't tossing their life savings into a furnace. What an rear end.

Doing a google search for citizencon photos is ...pretty strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOSJIGPLxRE

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

EminusSleepus posted:

to the SPACE COURT! LOL

why does everyone who gets offended goes to court? settle it like man-child and do a fist fight!!

A thumb fight is more appropriated here.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

"I got yo money!!"

was that a BeerGod beer?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

"I got yo money!!"

I guess he liked the taste.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 1, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I guess he liked the taste.

This is why he's mad at you. He loves the beer but every time he drinks it he thinks of you.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

We then got confirmation of what we feared; that they were no longer going to be supporting XB1 and PS4.

What we weren't prepared for was them completely dropping support for the Vision Engine. And they did. Not only that, but they stopped licensing it, supporting it, and removed it from their website products page

How the gently caress does a company do that, and not get mountains of backlash from everyone licensing poo poo from them?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheLastRoboKy posted:

This is why he's mad at you. He loves the beer but every time he drinks it he thinks of you.

I assume it's because I humiliated his wife and forced him to read a rather unpleasant criticism of his behavior and failings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

...If knowledge of the broadcast was brought to their attention last-minute, they'd likely request a delay until they could review it. Sometimes you can't release things on their target dates, you understand - bureaucracy, red tape, etc. Finding out last-minute that you aren't approved isn't all that rare...

You mean Chris' work on SQ42 may have been unapproved by Coutts at the last minute?