Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

What states are they primarily moving to? Besides Florida, obviously
Connecticut already has a large Puerto Rican population (around 7% or 250,000 people) and I think we've gotten somewhere around 23,000 after Maria because so many have family here. Not the highest population by number, but I think we have the biggest PR population by percentage.

Trabisnikof posted:

I could see us doing some massive cruise missile strikes where we try to blow up their entire long range missile program and nuclear program at once. And Republicans would play it like the israeli strike on iraq's nuclear reactors and to be honest, the media would eat that poo poo up. The "some strong man had to stop crazy kim" narrative will play strong domestically.

The question is, what would NK and the international community do?
NK: nothing. Everyone else, probably demand that we get our military out of their countries and impose sanctions .

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
The thing about Donald Trump is that in his heart he's a hardcore pussy and he's not going to start anything with anybody

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmkFt2HSkao

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Iowa Snow King posted:

The thing about Donald Trump is that in his heart he's a hardcore pussy and he's not going to start anything with anybody

Well, there was that one time with the missile strike in Syria.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I wore out my atomic anxiety back in the eighties.

Getting nuked would be the only way for me to become a part of history.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Connecticut already has a large Puerto Rican population (around 7% or 250,000 people) and I think we've gotten somewhere around 23,000 after Maria because so many have family here. Not the highest population by number, but I think we have the biggest PR population by percentage.

NK: nothing. Everyone else, probably demand that we get our military out of their countries and impose sanctions .

No way NK would do nothing, they'd have to retaliate somehow. But if they shell some stupid island or blow up an American military aircraft, will we escalate again or disengage?

Iowa Snow King posted:

I agree, if Trump had to actually do any of this in person, he'd chicken out. But just like firing people, Trump has no problem doing things if he can get his servants to do the leg work.

Trump couldn't tell a bunch of people to go on a suicide mission, but he has no problem ordering Mattis to tell them instead.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Ehh... North Korea aint gonna launch first. They'll dickwave for the home audience but that's it. If Trump tries to do something dumb that could potentially get an American city nuked, I actually feel the military would just say no.

I'm saying I think the US under Trump will strike first even though the rest of the world will be really unhappy about it.

Pellisworth posted:

On the other hand Trump is absolutely enough of a moron to order a conventional (probably not nuclear) first strike against NK. Whether the US military is able to prevent him from doing that, who knows.

According to the article I posted an hour or two ago Trump already wants to attack NK and has for months but Mattis, McMaster and Kelly have been talking him out of it. From the former JCoS Chairman:

"My concern is how long that actually lasts," Mullen said, adding that, at some point, Trump may be inclined to ignore advice from his top national security advisers that runs counter to his own instincts.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, there was that one time with the missile strike in Syria.

oh yeah i remember that! it was an abandoned air field that hit no important targets because the targets were warned about the strike beforehand and amounted to nothing more than an embarrassing "show of force" that everyone instantly forgot about because nothing was lost except the cost of the missles. hail taxpayers!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

oh yeah i remember that! it was an abandoned air field that hit no important targets because the targets were warned about the strike beforehand and amounted to nothing more than an embarrassing "show of force" that everyone instantly forgot about because nothing was lost except the cost of the missles. hail taxpayers!

Actually firing those missiles was cheaper than decommissioning them so actually trump saved the taxpayers money
:goonsay:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I could see us doing some massive cruise missile strikes where we try to blow up their entire long range missile program and nuclear program at once. And Republicans would play it like the israeli strike on iraq's nuclear reactors and to be honest, the media would eat that poo poo up. The "some strong man had to stop crazy kim" narrative will play strong domestically.

International community? Probably nothing besides issuing statements, just not worth the hassle. Maybe some symbolic sanctions against Kushner's businesses or something. Now NK...

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

7c Nickel posted:

Miami is straight hosed though.
Maybe if we sacrifice Cape Coral to the gods, they'll spare us. I mean it's worth a try.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Iowa Snow King posted:

maybe. if he thinks he can get away(quick super strike) he will do it. but like you said he is a giant pussy who doesnt want the fallout(probably literally) so he is stuck between his greed/vanity and his cowardice. trump will strike first if he can. my fear is if magical COD/tom clancy poo poo happens and russia starts invading eastern europe because they think they can and trump just sits there and does nothing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Trabisnikof posted:

Unleash hell with all the batteries and cold war era weaponry they have hidden in in the mountains, underground, in populated areas, and generally where ever they thought it would be necessary to stash them to deter an invasion.

South Korea would get loving wrecked. Even if Seoul has a bomb shelter in every building it doesn't mean that large portions of the country won't be leveled. The international community probably won't like that.

Beyond that China will probably poo poo a brick and do something unhealthy for the US. And our economy is going to tank even if they don't. War's are expensive for everyone except for the contractors they use them to pad their pockets.

The reason why no nation wants the responsibility of invading North Korea though is that the clean up effort is going to take billions of dollars at the very least. The country is so utterly rear end backwards and messed up that we're talking about a decade or more of rehabilitating the proper infrastructure that keeps people from dying of dysentery or starvation. And that's before the military starts air striking the poo poo out of the place and removing what infrastructure is necessary for people to live as part of the war effort/Trump's desperate attempt to boost his ratings in the polls. And this is if Trump doesn't just pull a PR and convince the GOP to help push for leaving the natives to die/call it a finished effort without doing any sort of reconstruction work.

Long story short, it's a bad situation all around. The only group that'd conceivably win in the short or long term would be Russia. Who would get to see us put ourselves into a really deep hole after we sanctioned the poo poo out of them economically and pretty much leveled their economy due to some of the nasty poo poo they pulled on their neighbors. Which kept them from being even more militaristic-ally expansionistic towards the nations near them for the duration of Obama's years in office.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 1, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Archonex posted:

Unleash hell with all the batteries and cold war era weaponry they have hidden in in the mountains, underground, in populated areas, and generally where ever they thought it would be necessary to stash them to deter an invasion.

South Korea would get loving wrecked. Even if Seoul has a bomb shelter in every building it doesn't mean that large portions of the country won't be leveled. The international community probably won't like that.

Beyond that China will probably poo poo a brick and do something unhealthy for the US. And our economy is going to tank even if they don't. War's are expensive for everyone except for the contractors they use them to pad their pockets.

The reason why no nation wants the responsibility of invading North Korea though is that the clean up effort is going to take billions of dollars at the very least. The country is so utterly rear end backwards and messed up that we're talking about a decade or more of rehabilitation and creating proper infrastructure. And that's before the military starts air striking the poo poo out of the place and removing what infrastructure necessary for people to live as part of the war effort/Trump's desperate attempt to boost his ratings in the polls. And this is if Trump doesn't just pull a PR and convince the GOP to help push for leaving the natives to die/call it a finished effort without doing any sort of reconstruction work.

Long story short, it's a bad situation all around. The only group that'd conceivably win in the short or long term would be Russia. Who would get to see us put ourselves into a really deep hole after we sanctioned the poo poo out of them economically, which kept them from being even more militaristic-ally expansionistic towards their neighbors for Obama's years.

I believe it’s been mentioned before that North Korea’s conventional artillery is unlikely to be able to do a vast amount of damage to Seoul. If they chuck a nuke across the border, though...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Since we're doing this again:

Buy stake in Chinese semiconductors if you can.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I believe it’s been mentioned before that North Korea’s conventional artillery is unlikely to be able to do a vast amount of damage to Seoul.

Wait wait wait - where are you getting that from? Everything I'd heard had suggested the opposite.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Nothing is going to happen with NK as long as China is still supporting them, which they are.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Darth Walrus posted:

I believe it’s been mentioned before that North Korea’s conventional artillery is unlikely to be able to do a vast amount of damage to Seoul. If they chuck a nuke across the border, though...

Yeah, I feel I should point out that even old cold war era artillery can straight up loving level a building if it gets a solid hit in. And by all accounts North Korea has been doing a lot of black market trading with Russia and China over the past few decades. Hell, there's been entire exposes on how the country is basically reliant on it for a portion of it's populace to keep existing. So who knows what else they have stashed away.

There's a reason why Seoul apparently has bomb shelters in just about every building's basement. Because even if it's mandated that the buildings are to be built with an eye towards sustained artillery bombardment you still have to deal with the fact that all it takes is a single shell to ignite something and soften up the interior (or just knock out a few floors) to make it come crashing down like the World Trade Center did. If they start shelling Seoul odds are there's going to be a lot of emergency workers racing against time to dig people out before they suffocate to death.

And that's before you consider the possibility of NK's own nationalists just saying gently caress it and deploying whatever nukes they have on hand against SK or an invading force. Lord knows they don't give a poo poo about what it might do to their populace. So they probably wouldn't be stopped by pesky little things like morals or ethics.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 1, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Darth Walrus posted:

yup

a north korean conventional strike out of the blue would do some significant damage but all of the "the country would be LEVELED" hysteria relies on the south korean military basically not existing let alone taking even the most basic counterbattery measures, and it turns out that south korea also has a massive military with modern technology who has been gaming their response to this exact scenario for the last half century

like, south korea isn't going to just sit there and get shelled until the UN comes riding to the rescue. north korea has fairly antiquated artillery, where the south has modern touches like drones and precision guided munitions which will make any north korean bombardment rapidly get shut down

Archonex
May 2, 2012

boner confessor posted:

yup

a north korean conventional strike out of the blue would do some significant damage but all of the "the country would be LEVELED" hysteria relies on the south korean military basically not existing let alone taking even the most basic counterbattery measures, and it turns out that south korea also has a massive military with modern technology who has been gaming their response to this exact scenario for the last half century

No one said the country would be leveled. Just that there'd be a poo poo ton of civilian casualties if North Korea decided to follow through on it's threats. Which is exactly what anyone with even a remotely sane viewpoint has been trying to avoid for so long.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Trump is just going to throw that menu away and be like "bring me the drive thru menu"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ashmole posted:

Trump is just going to throw that menu away and be like "bring me the drive thru menu"

Sir this is a KFC.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheLastRefuge2/status/947665678466723842?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Archonex posted:

No one said the country would be leveled.

you did

Archonex posted:

shut up

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

I've heard that the missiles were at the end of their shelf life anyway, so they if they didn't fire them they would have just been decommissioned.

Archonex posted:

If you get into the range, accuracy and life span, what they have is nowhere near as capable as people make it out to be. Most of what they have can only reach as far as Seoul's northern neighborhoods, which puts them and cities north of Seoul in range. Only a small portion of their long range artillery could even hit the middle of the city. A lot of if it is poorly maintained, and they would be lucky to get one shot off with a lot of pieces, nevermind more than that. Then there's the stuff that looks bad from satellite imagery but not so threatening when you see it from ground level

Bottom line, you're still probably looking at 50,000 to 200,000 dead and hundreds of thousands more injured, but talk of leveling Seoul and killing millions or tens of millions is sensational nonsense.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

boner confessor posted:

you did

shut up

If you don't think one of South Korea's primary cities getting blown to hell by North Korea wouldn't wreck their economy or destabilize the general state of life in South Korean then I don't even know what to do with you. Never mind if some of the rumors coming out of NK are true; that the artillery batteries that are supposedly stashed away are also pointing at the general countryside in range of the DMZ.

Is it going to end South Korea? No. But it would be a huge loving mess and would leave the country in shambles economically for at least a few years. And the fact that you want to get pedantic over your own personal definition of what I said is honestly kind of dumb as hell.

GWBBQ posted:

A lot of if it is poorly maintained, and they would be lucky to get one shot off with a lot of pieces, nevermind more than that. Then there's the stuff that looks bad from satellite imagery but not so threatening when you see it from ground level

Bottom line, you're still probably looking at 50,000 to 200,000 dead and hundreds of thousands more injured, but talk of leveling Seoul and killing millions or tens of millions is sensational nonsense.

You do realize that the concern isn't what can be seen by satellite but instead what they have hidden out of sight and have potentially traded for over the years, right?

Also, what the gently caress. 50,000 to 200,000 dead is a really loving big deal. :stare: To put that in perspective a smaller city in the US like Baltimore has roughly 600,000 people in it. A larger city like New York has over 8 million. As of 2015 the population of Seoul was almost 10 million. And parts of Seoul are far more densely packed population wise. That's still death and devastation on an unthinkable scale no matter how you try to rephrase it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 1, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Is Disney aware he's missing?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GWBBQ posted:

Bottom line, you're still looking at 50,000 to 200,000 dead and hundreds of thousands more injured,

i think that's a bit high also, but otherwise agreed

north korea can't do substantial damage to south korea without making some odd decisions that would end in the destruction of the north korean state, like using nuclear weapons or some kind of irrational mass suicide charge

Archonex posted:

And the fact that you want to get pedantic over your own personal definition of what I said is honestly kind of dumb as hell.

im sorry that you're embarrassed i pointed out you're being hysterical and also that you can't remember your own argument between subsequent posts, but further posting on this topic is pointless

north korea has no capability to destroy seoul short of nuking it, which they wont do. put down the tom clancy fanfic

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Avalanche posted:

This actually describes a lot of people from military families and you would be surprised how rational and sane a lot of the people in the armed forces are. Pretty much everyone in my family including the women are all active duty or prior military service. They like their guns, and bombs, fighter jets and killing assholes but also believe in pensions, unions, retirement, universal healthcare, apprenticeships/on the job training, higher education, maternity leave, paid time off, paid sick leave, vaccinations, the CDC/NIH/VA/FDA/[insert other government regulatory or health agency], promotions based on merit and experience level, and overall uprooting corruption wherever it may exist.

The military is funny in the sense that it's this horrible double edged institution designed for slaughter that somehow provides a peep hole for a near ideal social and political structure at least in cases where you don't have a massive gap in unit cohesion or poo poo leadership. "Woman's rights" and "race", and "sexual orientation", are not usually on anyone's minds as rank is the end all be all of any decision as no one has time for that "SJW poo poo" anyways. The fuckers who sexually harass or rape or whatever get kicked the gently caress out. It's also probably one of the only organizations outside of maybe firefighters and EMS where families and neighbors actually interact with each other, socialize with each other, grieve together, and experience joy together.

It most certainly exists in a bubble which sometimes results in a lack of empathy for struggling civilians as many either forget or have no prior notion of the vast injustices that occur in the regular domestic world. Nepotism exists everywhere, but my dad for example was shocked by some of the stuff he saw happening in civilian jobs after 20+ years of military service. Shocked in the sense of: "What the gently caress? This poo poo only happens in the movies and in books!" and more specifically: "Wait, there's no way that Sally is getting paid less than Bill, the boss's son, as they are both assistant managers (aka the same 'rank')!".

Personally, I remember it being a massive shock as young adult after my dad retired trying to navigate private health insurance. All of the medical bills for appointments, insurance company bullshit, pharmacy bullshit, 'deductibles', 'PPO/HMO designations', prior authorizations, 'yearly renewals, monthly fees, etc. was completely foreign to me as all of this stuff was basically standardized when I was still on my dad's military Tricare plan. My late teens extremely naive notion of healthcare was that the government provides most of the services for ALL CITIZENS free of charge through all the taxes we pay and these taxes pay all the doctors for their hard work and equipment and expenses because it's really really important for everyone to be healthy. If I am sick, I go to the doctor, give him my Tricare card to prove I am a U.S citizen, and he does whatever he/she needs in order to help me get well because doctors and all medical field people are all good people. I drop prescription off at pharmacy, show my Tricare card, pay a small nominal fee, and get my pills in 15 minutes or less. Any major procedures or surgeries will require me to pay a little more out of pocket such as maybe the low 3 figures, but that's a reasonable expectation and I should never expect to receive a massive bill that would bankrupt me 1000 times over as that is just impossible, a completely absurd injustice that can never happen in America, and never ever happened before when I was on military Tricare. Anyone who claims about having a $100k medical bill for an appendectomy is LYING as something like that IS JUST NOT POSSIBLE! If some 'other' individual cries about not being able to afford their medical bills, then that's COMPLETELY their fault and 100% SOMETHING THEY HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OVER because they must of blown all of their money on gambling or shooting up drugs or buying too many beanie babies and all they need to do is maybe not buy so many beanie babies/save $20 a month for 2-3 months to pay them all off!

Then I began experiencing for myself all the health insurance horrors and stressors other families and individuals had been experiencing for years and only then was it clear how completely hosed private health insurance was and how god drat amazing socialized military medical insurance had been.

This is kind of a long derail, but the point is that there are many political allies that can be drawn upon from the military community as a large majority are essentially rational thinking logical acting somewhat socialist at their core. The whackjob conservatives are kind of an outlier and usually get stuck in poo poo jobs like military police/guards where they are only capable of causing minimal damage. Those that do vote conservative typically do so as Democrats are always associated with base closures, force drawdowns, Bay Area stereotypes, etc. even if that's not actually true. Additionally, upper class military officers often come from humble beginnings where they may now be pulling in $120k/year, but don't have a 'family business' waiting for them, or a guaranteed 'in' with Uncle John at E Corp after separating from service, or come from some billionaire family dynasty with alternative motivations. You can buy a seat at Yale or Harvard, but the military academies tend to not give a poo poo about what money you came from.

The real issue with getting the independent/conservative military vote is popping the bubble as most have no concept of the severity of domestic issues until getting out or retiring which makes them very susceptible to disinformation campaigns. It's full throttle this country is awesome, America is the best at everything, America gently caress yea until you see for yourself that everything is a massive garbage fire, and the leadership of most companies is anti-American as gently caress.

This is from a few pages ago, but while this is nice to hear, the polls show that the military is still staunchly and overwhelmingly Republican. This goes across all divisons too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I don't know dude. It's winter and communists are really really good at sending in wave after wave of suicide troops.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

I DON’T HAVE A NUKE BUTTON ON MY DESK. HOW COME I DON’T HAVE A NUKE BUTTON ON MY DESK?

*orders Diet Coke*

that would be hilarious. The presidents desk used to have the nuke button. they repurposes it for trump and just told him its always been the coke button :)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

I don't know dude. It's winter and communists are really really good at sending in wave after wave of suicide troops.

If my days playing Command and Conquer taught me anything it's that what you really need to watch out for are the war zeppelins and para-dropped bears.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/947546526674538497

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

it's pretty obviously not all good

or not even mostly good

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Archonex posted:

If my days playing Command and Conquer taught me anything it's that what you really need to watch out for are the war zeppelins and para-dropped bears.

Only hope is to start massing jet pack dudes as soon as you hear Kirov Reporting.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/947590988721254405

In conclusion, the presidency is a land of contrast.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
gently caress the NYT.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

I've heard that the missiles were at the end of their shelf life anyway, so they if they didn't fire them they would have just been decommissioned.

If you get into the range, accuracy and life span, what they have is nowhere near as capable as people make it out to be. Most of what they have can only reach as far as Seoul's northern neighborhoods, which puts them and cities north of Seoul in range. Only a small portion of their long range artillery could even hit the middle of the city. A lot of if it is poorly maintained, and they would be lucky to get one shot off with a lot of pieces, nevermind more than that. Then there's the stuff that looks bad from satellite imagery but not so threatening when you see it from ground level

That was still enough of a deterrent for them to hang on until they got their nukes in a row. Now they could very easily take out millions. The fact of the matter is that North Korea won. The regime gets to continue existing without too much fear from external threats. That's why unless you're actually willing to go to war, making complete regime change your foreign policy tends to backfire.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
nuke the NYTimes.

edit: FIGURATIVELY SPEAKING. LIKE, FINANCIALLY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

If I'm not mistaken, she's actually pulling off that dress. Hey Melania, your obvious superpowers could be put to better use right about now, y'know?

• Locked thread