Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

Pop quiz - If you wanted to add a 2nd Imperial Detachment purely to add AT shooting at a small points size (say, under 1k) what would you pick?

AdMech, Neutron Laser Dunecrawlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
If you want plasma guns that look as close as possible, might as well buy the real thing.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Space-Marine-Plasma-Guns

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
New year, manky new plague marines.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Xarlaxas posted:

I batch-painted units of 50 clan-rats in groups of 10: never again.

I batch-painted Night Goblins in a group of 75. That wasn't a good idea.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, I have done 20-30 Imperial Guard in a batch before. Not too bad as they're all uniformed. Currently finishing 20 (including HWTs) which will be all my regular infantry done. Probably will never be able to add any more to the army - it's just so monotonous compared to trying out something new. Which is a shame, as there's a very sick part of me that really, really wants another platoon's worth, and maybe a couple more tank squadrons, and some artillery batteries . . .

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
My plague marines have been great fun to batch paint, they're all unique enough to make painting interesting but all use the same colour pallette to make doing it in batches efficient.

Rano Pano
Jan 17, 2004

Just wanted to show my jump pack Captain I built out of Vanguard/Deathwatch bits, I'm kinda happy with how he turned out :black101:

Prions!
Jun 30, 2010
That's a really good yellow man, nice work!
Warhammer Community have put up a vote for best model of 2017, I've cast mine for the Champion and Nurgling
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/01/2017-miniature-of-the-year-vote-nowgw-homepage-post-2/

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Rano Pano posted:

Just wanted to show my jump pack Captain I built out of Vanguard/Deathwatch bits, I'm kinda happy with how he turned out :black101:

I love what you did with the flight stand. That mini looks rad as hell

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I batch-painted Night Goblins in a group of 75. That wasn't a good idea.

I'm sorry. :ohdear:

Also, I think my post got lost in previous discussions, but here I'll go again:

I have a friend who is interested in starting up Grey Knights, what would be a good investment for the 1000 point mark? It seems they don't have a Start Collecting box. :(

Our meta is growing slowly so that's where we're trying to get to at the moment, and we're going to have a 750 point tournament at the ned of January.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Prions! posted:

That's a really good yellow man, nice work!
Warhammer Community have put up a vote for best model of 2017, I've cast mine for the Champion and Nurgling
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/01/2017-miniature-of-the-year-vote-nowgw-homepage-post-2/

I voted for Cawl. Such an awesome model.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Cypher gets my vote. Too bad he's garbage this edition.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's the Panascope Nurgling (and Plague Marine Champion). What is wrong with you people?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I was torn between Yvraine and the Escher gangers. Went with the former because I like that model bar the headpiece. v:shobon:v
Still wish I could get it as a stand alone kit.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Frobbe posted:

[Didn't call it "WAAAAGH!-E"]

It's like you hate fun with language :(

I waited until I was a little sauced last night to paint on some Warriors arms; it was OK, I guess. I have 7 of them and a Prime I kitbashed to have a Warrior/Venomthrope head for maximum :cthulhu: It's taken me longer to paint them than the 5 Carnifexes I magnetized and painted (though to be fair, I didn't paint all their arm options), mostly because of River City Ransom: Underground.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I went with the Redemptor, because I love that boxy thing a whole lot even if I can't figure out a good use for it on the table in Blood Angels.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

I went with the Redemptor, because I love that boxy thing a whole lot even if I can't figure out a good use for it on the table in Blood Angels.

That's easy: use it defensively to help keep your kill-shot predators firing.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's Marbo.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Realized I've been posting these dudes piecemeal pretty much everywhere but actually on the forums, so here you go.
Glowing parts are largely recast from original bits in blue-tinted clear resin, lit by a combination of SMDs and 3mm/5mm LEDs.

A year's work, hopefully by the time I'm finished with the whole force they'll have a codex worth a drat.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

A vote for Marbo is a vote for Finecast.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Merton Blask posted:

Fancy necrons

Awesome work! I've been putting together a Tau force over the past few months, similarly hoping for a decent codex by the time I'm done.

Here's the ones I've fully painted, though I'm not 100% happy on the bases. Still unpainted in my shame pile are about 20 fire warriors, 10 pathfinders, 6 stealth suits, a riptide, a broadside, and about four dozen drones of various stripes, so plenty of painting left to do!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

That's easy: use it defensively to help keep your kill-shot predators firing.

I'm planning on using mine for that with my autocannon predator, whirlwind and 2nd lieutenant in my backline in the next iteration of my list.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Was gonna vote Blightlord Terminators, then voted Sector Mechanicus terrain because I love the loving poo poo out of it

Merton Blask posted:

Realized I've been posting these dudes piecemeal pretty much everywhere but actually on the forums, so here you go.
Glowing parts are largely recast from original bits in blue-tinted clear resin, lit by a combination of SMDs and 3mm/5mm LEDs.

A year's work, hopefully by the time I'm finished with the whole force they'll have a codex worth a drat.

These are fantastic, and they look even better in person! Can't wait to to clown the poo poo out of them in a game of 40k soon

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

I'm planning on using mine for that with my autocannon predator, whirlwind and 2nd lieutenant in my backline in the next iteration of my list.

My plan is to run three lascannon predators surrounding my jump pack captain and a lieutenant with the Redemptor ideally out of LOS so it stays alive as either a counter charge or anti horde threat.

The captain redeploys after the initial alpha strike using Upon Wings of Fire to support a big block of Sanguinary Guard. There's a bunch of other support units like Inceptors but I'm a big fan of hammer and anvil style lists like this and I think it will be tough to beat.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Naw, Get on Team Tallyman.

jeroti
Feb 26, 2009

Fear not the darkness, fear that which the darkness hides.

Got some painting done in the past few weeks. I'm not a big fan of how ardcoat makes everything look shiny. I tried several times to straighten out Mephistons sword, but the finecast would just end up going back the the curvy shape. Eventually I gave up on it before the sword could break from being heated and straightened then warping over and over. I use the bikes as IG rough riders. The one game I've used them in they outflanked and then failed their charge against a predator, even with a command point re roll, then got shot up and charged by a dread who killed them all.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

jeroti posted:

I tried several times to straighten out Mephistons sword, but the finecast would just end up going back the the curvy shape. Eventually I gave up on it before the sword could break from being heated and straightened then warping over and over.

I'm pretty sure you need to heat it and then clamp it/press it into shape for quite a while (overnight probably) in order to make it retain the new shape.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

My plan is to run three lascannon predators surrounding my jump pack captain and a lieutenant with the Redemptor ideally out of LOS so it stays alive as either a counter charge or anti horde threat.

The captain redeploys after the initial alpha strike using Upon Wings of Fire to support a big block of Sanguinary Guard. There's a bunch of other support units like Inceptors but I'm a big fan of hammer and anvil style lists like this and I think it will be tough to beat.

Huh, the main reason I'm sticking the dread back there is because I can use wisdom of the ancients to have him sub in and give rites of war to the tanks and himself which frees up my captain for being with the other contingent of my dudes.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Strobe posted:

Greenstuff a hood and use it for a librarian dread.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Huh, the main reason I'm sticking the dread back there is because I can use wisdom of the ancients to have him sub in and give rites of war to the tanks and himself which frees up my captain for being with the other contingent of my dudes.

I like that for later in the game but I also really like having my beatstick captain on the table on turn 1 so that people will be cautious about getting close with their big stuff. It's going to be highly situational depending on what I'm playing against and the captain will probably be my last drop during deployment. Either way I'm basically spending a CP to get those rerolls first turn.

I've only been able to get two games in post codex but so far I'm maintaining that Upon Wings of Fire is one of the strongest strategems in the game. It gives such an insane amount of flexibility for so little cost.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I batch painted 24 Hormagaunts in an assembly line last month and lost any desire to paint more. Didn't need 30 in a unit anyway.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've got 45 plague monks to paint for my soon-to-be AoS Nurgle army. Not looking forward to that my dudes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

I batch painted 24 Hormagaunts in an assembly line last month and lost any desire to paint more. Didn't need 30 in a unit anyway.

Oh yeah, what's the deal with that? Termagants can be in units of 10-30, but they come in boxes of 12? Genestealers can be in units of 5-20, but they come in boxes of 8?

What is Games Workshop trying to pull?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I lose all will to live batch painting more than 5 marines, you people are insane.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh yeah, what's the deal with that? Termagants can be in units of 10-30, but they come in boxes of 12? Genestealers can be in units of 5-20, but they come in boxes of 8?

Lol not only that but a box of Stealers comes 2 shy of getting their extra attack for having 10+ models. :shepface:

Also love not being able to make a Tyranid Prime or a Neurothrope without having to buy a whole new box to make the unit they buff legal.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 1, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

The paranoid answer is it's the hotdog/bun thing.

I'm willing to believe unit sizes were different when they created those kits, but maybe not.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Deified Data posted:

Lol not only that but a box of Stealers comes 2 shy of getting their extra attack for having 10+ models. :shepface:

Also love not being able to make a Tyranid Prime or a Neurothrope without having to buy a whole new box to make the unit they buff legal.

I'm going to convert two warriors into lictors thanks to that exact problem.

:arghfist:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The trick is as always to paint squads in groups of 10, slog it out and then ‘treat’ yourself with a character/vehicle whatever.

Source: 4 Guard armies painted over the last 15 years or so.

Some good podcasts or audio books helps

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

Just wait until they get around to re-doing the 'stealer kit with 5 models for the same price as the current box of 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

mango sentinel posted:

The paranoid answer is it's the hotdog/bun thing.

I'm willing to believe unit sizes were different when they created those kits, but maybe not.

For Neurothropes, they were actually an upgrade for a Zoanthrope unit in 7th and prior, so that's a brand new thing. I'm not certain about that for Warriors/Primes, but it could be.