Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

WrightOfWay posted:

I think BRD is the only job that is actually TP negative enough that they can theoretically run out in single target situations and they can take care of themselves with Tactician. There also aren't very many situations where you AOE in current high end content. Goad isn't very good in 8 mans. It's definitely less useful than Feint.

This is a good post but also you realize that the guy who started this conversation is a level 60 drg and feint is essentially worthless to them unless when they said they were going to begin raiding they meant sync'd alexander savage?

Edit: Top of the page, disgusting. There's a fair bit of min-maxing you can do on a per fight basis with melee dps role skills, and the advice related to that is good in general but is really just muddying the waters for a player who is in the process of leveling, because they aren't doing any content that makes the effort worth the hassle of fiddling with your skills. I know I for one am just going to take the dps hit instead of slotting arm's length just to blank demon walls repel and I am certainly too lazy to even bother macroing switching out goad and invigorate for boss fights, just because I would rather have both of them in case I or someone else fucks up over running something else more broadly useful on a single target encounter.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I love shitposting in mechanics arguments but I ain't touching this one with a ten yalm pole. Happy New Year, y'all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm going to slot in True North and you can't stop me

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Xarbala posted:

I'm going to slot in True North and you can't stop me

I was leveling dragoon before taking a break and I didn't have True North. So slot what you want and have fun is the best advice.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Seems like the de-saturating snow filter poo poo is finally gone from the housing areas

Can confirm, now I can take selfies without having to leave home.

I'm kind of on a BRD kick. Level 55 right now, and it's really fun, especially now that I have three songs to jump between. I'm assuming that Army's Paeon is the one to cut off early most of the time, and that Raging Strikes should be lined up with Mage's (for AOE situations) or Wanderer's (for single targets) then?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Time now to begin my adventure in the land of frozen assholes.

Not everyone in the upper midwest is an rear end in a top hat. :mad:

But yeah, enjoy Heavensward. It's really good, and the relative lack of padding will be a nice change after 2.x.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I'm so close to getting there myself... just another five MSQs...

Serf
May 5, 2011

I decided to give this game a shot because it seemed pretty and chill. Last night I got to Ifrit and no one in the party had ever done the boss before. So we had a nice organic experience of learning how to beat it without looking at guides or whatnot (not that it was particularly complex or anything). We talked about the fight between attempts and eventually I figured we should focus down the Infernal Nail and once we got that down we only had one more attempt go bad due to the healer standing in the bad stuff. But nobody got mad or anything and we eventually pulled it off. Overall it was a pretty pleasant experience.

Tanking in this game is pretty easy and feels nice and chunky and I'm having a blast with leveling.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I have been playing this game for nearly a year and there is one big thing (well, two) I haven't touched which is gathering/crafting classes. Are they actually worth it to level now with all the beast tribe quests and easier ways to level it now? I'm also incredibly poor too - is it worth leveling all my gathering classes first before going on to crafting to earn some extra funds?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Samael posted:

I have been playing this game for nearly a year and there is one big thing (well, two) I haven't touched which is gathering/crafting classes. Are they actually worth it to level now with all the beast tribe quests and easier ways to level it now? I'm also incredibly poor too - is it worth leveling all my gathering classes first before going on to crafting to earn some extra funds?

I would do Treasure Maps before relying on Gathering for money. Working the MB is terrible and people in this game unironically believe "I crafted/gathered it so it cost me nothing, anything I sell it for is pure profit! I'll just undercut by 50%, it'll sell faster!" and then blow up markets. Or goons blow up your market. Or one of the classy named 'undercut-you-lol' retainers blows up your market.

I'm sure there's money to be made working mid-level mats that people use to craft furniture/level crafters, but I never had the patience for that.

EDIT:

Actually the new patch might be nice, cause I'm sure the new normal will be to list stacks of 999 or some absurd number, so you might be able to make money selling reasonable stack sizes.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 1, 2018

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Samael posted:

As someone who somewhat recently started leveling them up through beast quests and turnins: i'd wait until you really want to level them because you want to craft, not because you want money. It's take me for-loving-ever to level gatherers and crafters and that is through missing my dailies for the past couple months only two, maybe three times. RIght now my botanist/miner are at 66, fisher is at 54, Cul is at 63, WVR at 60, two other jobs are in the lower 50's and everything else is under 30. Again, this is with doing turn-ins, doing beast tribe quests daily and occassionally doing a little grinding and using a ton of leve quests when my leves get maxed out.

I'd recommend waiting until the next patch to see what they do with crafters, because the patch preview did mention them touching crafting exp. If you are gonna level up beast tribes anyway, because you want to level up beast tribes and not for crafter exp, you might as well by picking a crafter you want leveled now and leveling it through beast tribes. But leveling them all at once has been a pain and i'm only doing it because I really like crafting in every game and want to do it.

If you want money, there are tons of ways to make money without having crafters.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I'm kind of on a BRD kick. Level 55 right now, and it's really fun, especially now that I have three songs to jump between. I'm assuming that Army's Paeon is the one to cut off early most of the time, and that Raging Strikes should be lined up with Mage's (for AOE situations) or Wanderer's (for single targets) then?
Starting with BRD definitely spoiled me for all other classes. It's the one job I've played where late game abilities enhance its existing gameplay rather than radically alter it.

I like to pair Raging Strikes with Wanderer's 100% of the time. Under ideal conditions you'll use Mage's for AoE and Wanderer's for single target. In reality you'll use both in both because it's an overall DPS loss to just sit on your songs. If you're AoEing with Mage's, you're already doing a shitload of extra damage so it doesn't need the help from Raging Strikes. Under single target conditions the free damage from Mage's doesn't justify boosting with Raging Strikes when that boost could be going to the much beefier potencies from Wanderer's instead. The thinking here is that Raging Strikes is a percentage based boost, so it gives greater overall benefit to larger potency attacks like x2 or x3 Pitch Perfects from Wanderer's. There are definitely conditions where there are enough targets on the field to justify RS-ing Mage's Ballad over Wanderer's from a purely mathematical perspective but don't bother.

Obviously Wanderer's is ideal on bosses but you'll end up running it on trash too. Wanderer's is a DPS loss compared to Mage's on big pulls, but Mage's will not always be available. So, Wanderer's is often your least bad song on trash when Mage's won't be ready for 20+ seconds. But not always! Depends on the size of the pulls, the speed you're knocking them out, the expected time between the current pull and the next one, and your confidence that Wanderer's will definitely be available for your opener on the next boss. Sometimes your best bet (especially in unfamiliar dungeons) is to run Mage's followed by Army's back-to-back for trash pulls. You won't have 100% song uptime doing this but it's only trash who cares.

The best reason to pair Raging Strikes with Wanderer's all the time is that their cooldowns will align when running optimal song uptime. That's only actually important during bosses and wouldn't you know it Wanderer's 1) gets the most out of Raging Strikes and 2) shines best on bosses.

Raging Strikes + Wanderer's full duration --> Mage's full duration --> Army's for ~15sec. Raging Strikes and Wanderer's should be ready to recast about 15 - 17 seconds into Army's depends on how trigger happy you've been about overwriting songs. And if you're using Empyreal Shot as your first oGCD after each song (just build the habit now) then it will also be up ~15sec into Army's. Once all three are ready, go back to the start of this paragraph. You will always have a song going, Raging Strikes will always be giving the biggest boost to your biggest attacks, and you'll spend the least amount of time in your least DPSy song.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Samael posted:

Crafting needs seed money and someone said 3m was their basic funding for it. Also there's no halfway point w/DoH stuff since you will need ALL the crafters sooner or later. I find making money to be simply playing the game and selling crafting mats or materia I get from EXDR via tanking life. Also, MSQ hands out HQ gears you can flip for popular jobs like SAM on the MB. No one is going to be super rich in-game unless you no-life merchanting but it's a living.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part of the reason to always use Raging with Wanderer's too is that Barrage also has an 80 second cooldown, and we want that to align with Raging Strikes always always always.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Samael posted:

Leveling gathering isn't strictly necessary for leveling up crafting classes, though it helps when you get to certain levels where the only crafts that give decent Leve EXP require some hideously obscure material that a single dude controls the supply of on the MB. In truth, once you hit level 50 on a combat class, you can just do Ixali/Moogle stuff to get a specific crafting class up to 60 once you get them to level 15 through grinding. Ixali stuff starts off kinda slow until you can get to max rep, but once you do, it only takes something like 2-3 weeks of dailies to get a crafting class all the way up to 50.

As Alder said, though, there's better ways to earn money, if that's your intent. You should only really go to all the effort if you want to be one of the insane omnicrafters with everything to 70.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
One big reason to level crafters is so that you can repair ur own gear, meld ur own materia and be able craft ur own crap.
You can make some money with it but like others already said there are more reliable and easier ways to go for gil.

Gatherers is something I always enjoyed just because its so chill to do, and sure that can also net some money if you know what is in demand etc, it helps to have em leveled for when you level crafters but you can make do without them if you so wish.

Also getting into crafting can be very addictive and fun though, its a game of its own and easy to get carried away with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Repairing your own gear is negligible but pentamelding on your own time is a biggie.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
New Year's message from Yoshi-P.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/0a69efa004498fddbc02bcd6cf3952b32162357c

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Repairing your own gear is negligible but pentamelding on your own time is a biggie.

Repairing your own gear is negligible until your weapon breaks in the middle of a dungeon run. And you're the tank. (Fortunately, it was right before the last boss and it was WP normal.)

Of course now that there's durability warning that's not nearly as likely. Crafting your own cosmetic poo poo is the real reason because you can save like 50-80% off the MB price.

Plus, well, it's something to do.

vOv fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 1, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Working the MB is terrible and people in this game unironically believe "I crafted/gathered it so it cost me nothing, anything I sell it for is pure profit! I'll just undercut by 50%, it'll sell faster!" and then blow up markets. Or goons blow up your market. Or one of the classy named 'undercut-you-lol' retainers blows up your market.

This username post combo. :discourse:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Babe Magnet posted:

going through the main story in the snowy elflands, this Inquisitor dude needs to gently caress off

How many nice people named "Inquisitor" have you ever met?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Crossed my own cloudsbreath seeds and fertilised them for an non-inconsequential amount of the 10 days it took to grow them...

better list them at 20k each.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rand Brittain posted:

How many nice people named "Inquisitor" have you ever met?

Inquisitor Barnham. :colbert:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

vOv posted:

Repairing your own gear is negligible until your weapon breaks in the middle of a dungeon run. And you're the tank. (Fortunately, it was right before the last boss and it was WP normal.)

Of course now that there's durability warning that's not nearly as likely. Crafting your own cosmetic poo poo is the real reason because you can save like 50-80% off the MB price.

Plus, well, it's something to do.

Yep! It's less about saving Gil and more about the luxury of repairing anywhere, anytime. Also, SB crafting is more accessible and sensible than HW crafting (and the latter is a bit easier now with Moogles and collectibles). Definitely not recommended for folks who don't plan on playing more than a month or two, but in the long run it's rad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Being able to repair my own stuff is good. Being able to make my own furniture for my pretty princess dress-up castle is better.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

itskage posted:

This username post combo. :discourse:

I sound way saltier in that post than I actually am. I just don't like the mechanics of actually using the MB. Everything else is pretty MMO standard market behavior.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Crossed my own cloudsbreath seeds and fertilised them for an non-inconsequential amount of the 10 days it took to grow them...

better list them at 20k each.

They're still 100k here :sigh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do maps work, and do you need a group of people you know for them?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Crafting is fun and also lets you print as much money as you want.

Gathering on the other hand is worse than hitler.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Darth Walrus posted:

How do maps work, and do you need a group of people you know for them?

Are you on Excal? :getin:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mymla posted:

I dunno man, doing aetherial reductions it's not that uncommon to get like 150k gil out of a single node.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mymla posted:

this, but the exact opposite

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Haurchefant's younger brother is a dip.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The rare Shiba Inu pet from the gathering ventures is going to be worth a lot of money for a long time because of the doge meme, so that's one reason to do gathering.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Is the Mameshiba only from the level 70 mining venture, or can it also come from Botany or Fishing?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Haurchefant's younger brother is a dip.

Oh, you have no idea.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Note Block posted:

Is the Mameshiba only from the level 70 mining venture, or can it also come from Botany or Fishing?

Mining. Botany has the Koala Joey and Fishing as the Axolotl Eft. DoW/DoM gets the Tengu Doll.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh that god, Alphinaud finally got a sensible outfit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Please don't deify Tataru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Finally reached Heavensward. That whole post ARR period is such an odd experience for an MMO. Some really great moments (several of the trials are the best experiences I've had in the game) and yet diluted with so much filler. I'm sure it was a hell of a thing when it was coming out over patches.

I can see now why they need you to play through it, but taking a knife to it and reducing it by half would do a lot for new players. Pushing quests to side quests and then warning when you complete X quest you will never be able to complete <list> of quests would do so much to highlight the better parts.

Despite some complaining this is the only time in an MMO I'm actually interested to see what happens next in the story.