Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Soul Glo posted:

that planeswalker seems really bad

Agreed. It’s really bad. Worse than ob nix for a steeper cost. Boring design too. It couldn’t have costed 4??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

RIX spoilers supposedly go up in ~2 1/2 hours according to the European MTG twitter

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

I reinstalled MTGO to use my $10 worth of Wizards scrip on cube and give people some free wins since apparently all you can win is more Wizards scrip.

My god, they had absolutely atrocious decks. I saw a Daze. That was the entire extent of the disruption I saw in 8 games. I had more disruption in my almost mono-green deck. I (barely) lost my first match to getting stuck on 3 lands. Smashed the 2nd, started smashing the 3rd and my computer died. Just won't turn on. So I guess that's a good lesson about installing WotC programs.

There’s this funny feeling in the back of my mind that if I were to find my old MODO user/pass and reinstall it, it would make my new computer sluggish and act like it was infected by 50 viruses despite running ARK and PUBG with no sweat.

For those of you in the beta, is the newer client any better?

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

There’s this funny feeling in the back of my mind that if I were to find my old MODO user/pass and reinstall it, it would make my new computer sluggish and act like it was infected by 50 viruses despite running ARK and PUBG with no sweat.

For those of you in the beta, is the newer client any better?

It runs pretty smooth and the collection piece moves very quickly. That being said.. the program looks like it’s already 10 years old to me and it has zero polish to it in general. It doesn’t feel like it’s being built by a company with vast resources and seems like it could be much better. So far, on course with what was to be expected but perhaps they will really fine tune it into something.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Look at that edh garbo.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Look at that edh garbo.

I think you're underestimating this, it has some similarities to Cryptbreaker

Also it reminds me of actual EDH garbage, the old Supreme Inquisitor cycle

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

I think you're underestimating this, it has some similarities to Cryptbreaker

Also it reminds me of actual EDH garbage, the old Supreme Inquisitor cycle

Cryptbreaker had better other modes and wasn't legendary,two color, and better costed.

The card is going to need to have a lot of help to be of any use. Something is going to have to generate tokens at a fast rate.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 1, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/maro254/status/947537979593056256

Most answers are obvious, but there's a bunch of cries about "not banning people for free speech" in there also.

Nice Lorwyn Merfolk synergies.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Mechanics: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/rivals-ixalan-mechanics-2018-01-01

MaRos article: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/arrival-rivals-2018-01-01

Tainen fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 1, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

Awakened Amalgamation
Artifact Creature - Golem
Awakened Amalgamation's power and toughness are equal to the number of lands you control with different names.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BJPaskoff posted:

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/947537979593056256

Most answers are obvious, but there's a bunch of cries about "not banning people for free speech" in there also.

:ohdear: Oh no, did they ban Chas Andres for taking some potshots at the Breitbart article? :argh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Journey and enter the unknown seem pretty interesting.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
These spells with Ascend still don’t sell me on the mechanic. Even Control seems like it would want the spells that most benefit from it earlier in the game.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Ascend seems more like a pseudo mana sink for late game limited than anything else. Just a way to make mediocre cards have a bit more power as topdecks if the game goes long.

As with most keywords, showing up in Constructed just relies on individual cards being pushed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cracker Baron posted:

It runs pretty smooth and the collection piece moves very quickly. That being said.. the program looks like it’s already 10 years old to me and it has zero polish to it in general. It doesn’t feel like it’s being built by a company with vast resources and seems like it could be much better. So far, on course with what was to be expected but perhaps they will really fine tune it into something.

Do they at least have talking heads that say funny stuff in an ironic manner to tilt your opponent?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually think Secrets of the Golden City could see Standard play. Divination is not that far from being Standard playable(and has actually seen Standard play once or twice), and even a small upgrade in power could make the card playable, like Mind Rot->Blightning, although the existence of BBE obviously made a difference

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Am I missing a reason why Awakened Amalgamation is a rare? The ability doesn't feel super rare, and it's complete trash in limited.

I'm amused by the design though.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Boxman posted:

Am I missing a reason why Awakened Amalgamation is a rare? The ability doesn't feel super rare, and it's complete trash in limited.

I'm amused by the design though.

it appears to count dual land names as well. theoretically you could get it pretty big in constructed. also not inundating limited with a bunch of 4-mana 2/2s is upside i m o.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Procrastinator posted:

it appears to count dual land names as well. theoretically you could get it pretty big in constructed. also not inundating limited with a bunch of 4-mana 2/2s is upside i m o.

Assuming that translation is accurate, it's strictly worse than "power and toughness equal to the number of lands you control" which has never been that impressive a line of text. Granted, we've tended to only see it on 6+ mana cards in the past.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
there's a few good-rear end edh cards in them spoilers

getting that reanimator land at the very least

also a good merfolk commander??

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Finally a good merfolk commander.

It's been ten thousand years.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Soul Glo posted:

there's a few good-rear end edh cards in them spoilers

expanding the amount of playable cards in the trash johnny mode is exactly what I want from my Standard sets

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Strange one

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Finally a good merfolk commander.

It's been ten thousand years.

Soul Glo posted:

also a good merfolk commander??

He's a worse merfolk commander than Edric, who isn't even a merfolk. Nah.

Journey / Atzal is a nice card, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So unlike some predictions, Ascend is the only way of getting the City's Blessing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I thought this might be okay until I realized you need a creature in play to use it. Still probably fine in limited.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Katana Gomai posted:

expanding the amount of playable cards in the trash johnny mode is exactly what I want from my Standard sets

unironically same

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fun fact: Journey to Eternity(and any others that may or may not be in the same cycle) is the second Legendary Aura printed in the history of the game

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Fun fact: Journey to Eternity(and any others that may or may not be in the same cycle) is the second Legendary Aura printed in the history of the game

Hondens?

Oh, Aura

I can read.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 1, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

are not auras

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

It's a New Year. How about, for a resolution, you decide to read each post again before you vomit on your keyboard with the same lousy posts you gave us all of 2017. It's like a win-win for everyone.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tainen posted:

Strange one

Uhhh thats a card that is printed on cardboard for sure

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Toshimo posted:

It's a New Year. How about, for a resolution, you decide to read each post again before you vomit on your keyboard with the same lousy posts you gave us all of 2017. It's like a win-win for everyone.

And you could take out that stick lodged up your behind.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Tainen posted:

Strange one

lol, Rivals is going to loving suck

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ascend seems weirdly worded.

On instants and sorceries it seems like you obviously check as the spell resolves whether the condition is met. But it's on permanents with the same wording. If you have a creature with Ascend, does it just turn on once and forever as a state-based effect if at any point you have 10 permanents? I would have expected it to work as an ETB or upkeep trigger.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tainen posted:

Strange one

This is good to play off of a Show and Tell if your opponent is playing Emrakul off of it and you have a way to gain life. That's about all I have to say about it.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

On instants and sorceries it seems like you obviously check as the spell resolves whether the condition is met. But it's on permanents with the same wording. If you have a creature with Ascend, does it just turn on once and forever as a state-based effect if at any point you have 10 permanents? I would have expected it to work as an ETB or upkeep trigger.

It's explained in the rules article, it just turns on without using the stack

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

In the mechanics article it says it checks constantly, yeah.

Efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Toshimo posted:

I am failing to see how this is a win for me if it generates posts like this.