Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Between stuff like Dark Tower, Justice League, Tom Cruise Mummy, that King Arthur movie and that King Arthur movie with Transformers, is 2017 the year Hollywood got over the cinematic universes fad?
I do think the idea that anyone can do it took a major hit. I think studios are going to have to tone that down to a degree.

This was the year of a lot of awful sequels to stuff as well. Obviously the newest Transformers, but also:

-An Underworld sequel no one asked for
-A sequel to xXx that had Vin Diesel this time, and also that no one asked for
-The final, awful end to those Resident Evil films
-Another lovely Fifty Shades movie
-A soft rebooted Smurfs movie
-A sequel to an already lazy animated film, The Nut Job
-Inexplicably, in a year where Hollywood abuse became a major issue, Victor Salva (a child molester) got to make another Jeepers Creepers movie
-A sequel to Daddy's Home, which reviewed even worse than the 1st
-A lazy Pitch Perfect threequel
-Somehow there was a Skyline sequel?

It also amazes me that Gerard Butler keeps getting to do action movies that always flop. I assume those films must make bank internationally or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do think the idea that anyone can do it took a major hit. I think studios are going to have to tone that down to a degree.

This was the year of a lot of awful sequels to stuff as well. Obviously the newest Transformers, but also:

-An Underworld sequel no one asked for
-The final, awful end to those Resident Evil films
-Another lovely Fifty Shades movie
-A soft rebooted Smurfs movie
-A sequel to an already lazy animated film, The Nut Job
-Inexplicably, in a year where Hollywood abuse became a major issue, Victor Salva (a child molester) got to make another Jeepers Creepers movie
-A sequel to Daddy's Home, which reviewed even worse than the 1st
-A lazy Pitch Perfect threequel
-Somehow there was a Skyline sequel?

It also amazes me that Gerard Butler keeps getting to do action movies that always flop. I assume those films must make bank internationally or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTEGJKRPk

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

I read this older article a few weeks ago pointing out how the original xXx came out the same year as the thing it was supposed to replace (Die Another Day) and the one that was actually successful (Bourne Identity). Is there a "super spy" series now? There was a xXx movie and a Bourne movie this year and who knows when the next James Bond one is actually showing up. I didn't see either of them but they came and went.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The year that Disney realized they don't have to worry about other studios using Mickey when copyright expires if there are no other studios.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There was a Bourne movie this year? Whaaaa?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This year's disappointing sequels are as bad as last years, which lead to a bunch of writing about how pointless sequels are bad. I've seen similar articles this year, relatively few bother to go into the fact that most of these disappointing sequels are just bad, while others were never going to find mass market audiences despite being awesome as hell (that's specifically about Blade Runner but fits several sequels if you think about it)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A few of these in the OP already got mentioned but how were the rest?

Tars Tarkas posted:

The big lesson from the above films was that most of them cost to drat much! Will 2017 learn that valuble lesson? Probably not. Be on the lookout for:

Jumanji - Not having any creatives attached finally managed to push this back to 2017, but it has The Rock, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, and Karen Gillan, so could be good?

Underworld: Blood Wars - This got delayed and then released everywhere except the US, so that's a good sign. If you are a bug looking for a rotting corpse!

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage - Maybe he should just stick to car movies.

Rings - Delayed like crazy, this weird prequel is supposedly finally coming out, meanwhile Japan gets cooler-sounding Ring vs Grudge movies (that are secretly boring and bad!)

Monster Trucks - I'm going to predict this movie will be what 20-teens get nostolgic for in 2030, but it will do awful at the box office.

Fifty Shades Darker - Turns out you can force people to do what they were contractually obligated to do! Who knew?

The Great Wall (US release) - China doesn't care about the Asian-American representation controversy, but most Chinese cinema recently is boring as crap and this doesn't sound like it broke that mold.

Boss Baby - A baby yells like your jerk boss. $15 please!

Ghost in the Shell - More Asian problems with none of the exploitative nudity.

The Case for Christ - I'm confused, wasn't God dead? Now he's going on trial?

Smurfs: The Lost Village - this looks actually not-terrible even though it is obvious the lost village is full of women Smurfs

Untitled Blumhouse Horror Project II - I love that we live in a world where there are multiple untitled horror films already scheduled for release

The Nut Job 2 - Thank goodness, I have so many fond Nut Job memories I can't wait to relive with this franchise...

World War Z 2 - I don't think they've even given a straight answer on how this is going to work yet, but enjoy it when it comes out!

Transformers: The Last Knight - This will be insane in either the best or worst way, and hopefully both at the same time!

The Emoji Movie
- A movie that people are already planning to review by just using the Poop Emoji.

Blazing Samurai
- "The story revolves around a scrappy young dog Hank (Michael Cera) who dreams of becoming a samurai and fights to save the town called "Kakamucho" from becoming a litter box of a nefarious feline warlord Ika Chu (Ricky Gervais) who unveils his grand plan to get rid of the inhabitants."

Friday the 13th - Not sure if this will actually happen, but it's on the release list now so I can just copy/paste this each year until it finally comes out!

A Bad Moms Christmas - The Bad Moms franchise has two entries in 2017 (including the ill-thought out Bad Dads)

Justice League - I will enjoy watching the Frankenstein corpse of Justice League and trying to figure out which 15 movies and 48 executives were combined together to make this monster.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Between stuff like Dark Tower, Justice League, Tom Cruise Mummy, that King Arthur movie and that King Arthur movie with Transformers, is 2017 the year Hollywood got over the cinematic universes fad?

I hope so but just today in the paper there was a quote from Kenny Branaugh about an agatha christie shared universe

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Doubtful, considering Paramount has like three other Transformers movies beyond Bumblebee in various stages of development and there will always be some executive somewhere thinking they've got the secret to the Marvel machine formula.

I believe that they are also having their GI Joe movie in 2020 be the start of the Hasbro Cinematic Universe with that and Micronauts and Transformers and ROM.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

There was a Bourne movie this year? Whaaaa?

My mistake, it was last year.

got any sevens posted:

I hope so but just today in the paper there was a quote from Kenny Branaugh about an agatha christie shared universe

What can you really do with that other than Miss Marple, though? I thought he was just going to keep making Poirot movies and put other, non-Poirot-related Agatha Christie characters in them.

He'd be as well to try doing some kind of Great Detectives Shared Cinematic Universe. He can get John Goodman to play Nero Wolfe and Jon Hamm as Philip Marlowe.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Its me,im the guy who liked both skylines movies.well they're not exactly movies,ones a impressive tech demo and the other is a ridiculous kaiju movie featuring the guys from the raid,whats not to like?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Jumanji opening against a star War movie and turning out not to be terrible is one of the big twists in 2017. Baywatch being near unwatchable is similarly twisty

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Smurfs movie actually does look kind of nice and the Transformers movie was awesome.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Most of those pre-MoviePass I missed, 50 Shades Darker is amazing because like 5 minutes of plot happens the entire movie. Jumanji I'll probably get to this week. Only 4 of them got delayed past 2017 which seems like a record low number. The Wall reportedly had unfinished effects but to be fair it could have just had really bad effects.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

I will scream bloody murder if it's not "Who Greenlighted"

Who Greenlitighteded

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jumanji had a surprising amount of dick jokes for a kids movie. I'm assuming it's a kids movie because my theater was chock full of (screaming, obnoxious) children last night. It was kind of bland and forgettable but fun enough. Would recommend if you can go for free/have a MoviePass.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Most of those pre-MoviePass I missed, 50 Shades Darker is amazing because like 5 minutes of plot happens the entire movie. Jumanji I'll probably get to this week. Only 4 of them got delayed past 2017 which seems like a record low number. The Wall reportedly had unfinished effects but to be fair it could have just had really bad effects.

50 Shades Darker was amazing because Christian gets in a goddamned helicopter crash and just stumbles back to civilization and his family goes "hey you're alive" and fucks off leaving him and Ana alone where she doesn't take him to a hospital

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Len posted:

50 Shades Darker was amazing because Christian gets in a goddamned helicopter crash and just stumbles back to civilization and his family goes "hey you're alive" and fucks off leaving him and Ana alone where she doesn't take him to a hospital

I'm going to imagine it's like those pictures of Nigel Farrage getting into a plane crash

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm going to imagine it's like those pictures of Nigel Farrage getting into a plane crash

https://youtu.be/f5nClrbV1oE the crash

https://youtu.be/s9WO8S5-cM0 and the follow-up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

got any sevens posted:

"Coming in 2019: Marple V. Poirot"

"Do you bleed? You will."

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Crashing and trekking back to civilization was literally an entire movie this year (The Mountain Between Us, which got bad reviews but just looked bland yet acceptable as cable tv background noise) yet in 50 Shades it is barely a scene transition.

Also whoever was hoping for The Last Jedi to fail at the box office a few pages back will have to wait for Solo to celebrate Star Wars failure as it crossed the billion dollar mark and will probably be the biggest film of 2017.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Dunkirk at $500m & #17 was the year's highest live action not-a-remake/franchise/existing property movie. Kung Fu Yoga and Get Out ($254m, #32-33) seem to be the next up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pablo Bluth posted:

Dunkirk at $500m & #17 was the year's highest live action not-a-remake/franchise/existing property movie. Kung Fu Yoga and Get Out ($254m, #32-33) seem to be the next up.

Dunkirk and Get Out are relatively higher on the US highest grossing list, at #12 and #15 respectively, and Coco isn't live-action but it is not a remake, franchise or existing property, which should be worth something. Girls Trip is the only other in the domestic top 25 that meets those criteria. (Split comes very very close, but not because it didn't make enough)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also whoever was hoping for The Last Jedi to fail at the box office a few pages back will have to wait for Solo to celebrate Star Wars failure as it crossed the billion dollar mark and will probably be the biggest film of 2017.

Comparing it to the domestic box office performances of The Force Awakens and Rogue One it'll tail off pretty sharply sometime soon but it should still squeeze out at least an additional $100 million domestic over the next few months.

And it hasn't even opened in China yet ...

Baron von Eevl posted:

Who Greenlitighteded

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Who Greenlitigated 2018 - We Bought Fox For Whose Rights??

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 1, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And it hasn't even opened in China yet ...

Star Wars doesn't tend to be enormously popular in China, though.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
2018: The Unbearable Greenlightness To Be

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Jumanji opening against a star War movie and turning out not to be terrible is one of the big twists in 2017. Baywatch being near unwatchable is similarly twisty

In Malaysia, it has over triple the gross of The Last Jedi. The cinema companies keep promoting this on social media. It actually beat Transformers 5 into second place.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Star Wars doesn't tend to be enormously popular in China, though.

The Force Awakens made US$124 million in China. It's nowhere near as popular as franchises like The Fast & Furious or Transformers or even xXx: The Return of Xander Cage (China bought US$164m worth of tickets to that flick, nearly four times as much as the US market was prepared to give it) but it's not chump change.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What can you really do with that other than Miss Marple, though? I thought he was just going to keep making Poirot movies and put other, non-Poirot-related Agatha Christie characters in them.

There's also Mr Quinn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysterious_Mr_Quin

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ha ha no, I can't see modern audiences going for a character with a ridiculous name like 'Harley Quin'

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha ha no, I can't see modern audiences going for a character with a ridiculous name like 'Harley Quin'

They can capture the MRA crowd by doing a reboot called Dr. Quin: Medicine Man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

(I haven't seen this movie, but although I like more or less everything that's on this poster/cover, I have a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't like it if I did.)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

1. How did that show last for as long as it did?
2. How has no one rebooted that stupid show yet?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

(I haven't seen this movie, but although I like more or less everything that's on this poster/cover, I have a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't like it if I did.)

We saw that once in 7th grade biology but i cant remember anything about it, so its probably not very adventurous

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

got any sevens posted:

We saw that once in 7th grade biology but i cant remember anything about it, so its probably not very adventurous

Looks like The African Queen except the leads have zero chemistry.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I woke up not feeling like trash today so I should be able to get a new thread written in a few hours. 2018 already better health-wise!

March looks like it is the upcoming disaster month of 2018 with Death Wish; A Wrinkle In Time; Tomb Raider; a horror film that still doesn't have a title yet; I Can Only Imagine; Sherlock Gnomes; Pacific Rim 2; God's Not Dead 3; Ready Player One; and Paul, Apostle of Christ

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

My mistake, it was last year.

She also had Tommy and Tuppence.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Also let me remind you guys that the next 50 shades movie doesn't have to be the last one. She's currently in the middle of a retelling of the series from the perspective of Christian

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Looks like The African Queen except the leads have zero chemistry.

This is a more generous description than the movie deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I remember the Medicine Man.

• Locked thread