Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

It's like when Richard Pryor went to Africa and instead of realizing how wrong he was for calling his brothers the N word, he doubled down on it and called Africans a bunch of soft rear end bitches for not getting on the trend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltWj4iAmno

This is amazing and really shows the disparity in quality between Pryor and Chapelle. And I like Chapelle but Pryor was in a tier above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

This is amazing and really shows the disparity in quality between Pryor and Chapelle. And I like Chapelle but Pryor was in a tier above.

Pryor and basically any other comedian you could care to name.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

veni veni veni posted:

I guess to me if something is funny it's warranted in stand up, and it was pretty funny, more so in the new special. Less so in the first. That said, he says some stuff that is going to rub some people the wrong way and if they don't want to engage because of that, it's fine and I'm not gonna fault them for it.

I guess what I don't get is why it's ok to make fun of almost everything, but then this one thing is totally taboo. If I'm watching Dave Chappelle I'm not really going in there expecting him to be sensitive to anyone. It's part of his schtick. Like, Bill Burr is another one of my favorite comedians and I disagree with 50% of what he says, but if he's funny about it, I still enjoy it.

There's enough good comedians and comedy out there that you don't have to go 'hey this guy might say really bigoted things but it made ME laugh so it's okay,' especially after a year where it turned out that a lot of the comedians making lovely jokes turned out to actually believe and act on the lovely things they were joking about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess we have different definitions of "really lovely bigoted things" because it seemed like he was poking fun at something in the same way he would anything else to me.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The_Rob posted:

I thought comedy was supposed to be funny.

Comedy is always funnier punching up than punching down.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Nihonniboku posted:

Comedy is always funnier punching up than punching down.

That's not true at all. Comedy comes from taboos, subverting expectations, and catching people off guard. It has nothing to do with punching up or down.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

veni veni veni posted:

I guess we have different definitions of "really lovely bigoted things" because it seemed like he was poking fun at something in the same way he would anything else to me.

When that thing is invalidating an aspect of a person's identity that is constantly invalidated by the culture at large it's a lovely and bigoted thing my dude.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

When that thing is invalidating an aspect of a person's identity that is constantly invalidated by the culture at large it's a lovely and bigoted thing my dude.

Are we talking about the first special? Because I agree to some extent there. I'm talking about the new one though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The_Rob posted:

That's not true at all. Comedy comes from taboos, subverting expectations, and catching people off guard. It has nothing to do with punching up or down.

I didn't say punching down can't be funny. It's just generally not as funny, and a lot riskier. You can make a subversive joke, and still have it fail. Subversion isn't inherently funny. You have to make it funny. Chapelle not only didn't make it funny, he doubled down on it instead.

Like I said earlier, Chappelle's comedy is stuck 20 years in the past. I wasn't living in America in 2003 when he was deigned a comedy genius, and by the time I came back, he had fled into hiding. So I don't have any nostalgia around Chappelle Show or him in general like a lot of people.

I'm not some prude, and I'm not naive about comedy. I watch a lot of comedy specials, and listen to pretty much exclusively comedian hosted podcasts. I watched Chappelle's last special, and I didn't think it was very funny, and found that joke in particular to be in poor taste. Hearing that his new special is along the same lines, I said I was going to pass.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like that he's sort of an outsider in the modern comedy scene. there are a lot of younger comedians I think are great, but I think they are getting predictable. And just because you don't find him funny doesn't mean he isn't funny. I think if you went out and took a poll you'd find that is a pretty wildly unpopular opinion.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

I like that he's sort of an outsider in the modern comedy scene. there are a lot of younger comedians I think are great, but I think they are getting predictable. And just because you don't find him funny doesn't mean he isn't funny. I think if you went out and took a poll you'd find that is a pretty wildly unpopular opinion.

If you gauge comedy on a populist scale you're going to walk away thinking Larry the Cable Guy, Dane Cook, Jeff Dunham, and Kevin Hart are the funniest people alive.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sarchasm posted:

If you gauge comedy on a populist scale you're going to walk away thinking Larry the Cable Guy, Dane Cook, Jeff Dunham, and Kevin Hart are the funniest people alive.

All of those people are extremely talented comedians though. None of them are really my kind of humor but they are super skilled respected comedians.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I thought it was pretty funny, gf and I laughed a lot throughout the special. Then we went out for champagne it was a good night

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chappelle just does his own thing and I like it. He's not always right. Sometimes he comes off as sort of an rear end in a top hat, but I can comfortably say he is a really funny guy. I'm honestly getting a bit exhausted with modern comedy being a contest to see who can be the most woke.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I agree, considering other people as people is just boring these days.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

veni veni veni posted:

Chappelle just does his own thing and I like it. He's not always right. Sometimes he comes off as sort of an rear end in a top hat, but I can comfortably say he is a really funny guy. I'm honestly getting a bit exhausted with modern comedy being a contest to see who can be the most woke.

Yeah that's absolutely not what modern comedy is at all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:rolleyes:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

flatluigi posted:

Yeah that's absolutely not what modern comedy is at all

Do you have any suggestions? For comedians or anything like that?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The worst thing about Chappelle is when he slaps his leg with the mic. It enrages me.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The_Rob posted:

All of those people are extremely talented comedians though. None of them are really my kind of humor but they are super skilled respected comedians.

Especially the one with the puppets.

Enough of this woke poo poo, just give me a puppet that talks about boners.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

Especially the one with the puppets.

Enough of this woke poo poo, just give me a puppet that talks about boners.

Dad?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm really digging La Casa De Papel as someone who loves heist films and television. I'm about halfway through.

I also have only watched the Callister Black Mirror but liked it a lot. I've only seen one other Black Mirror episode which was the one with Bryce Dallas Howard.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The new season of Black Mirror was pretty good, the second episode was kinda weak but it was solid overall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In less polarizing Stand up news, I really like the new Todd Barry special.

Judd Apatow did his first stand up in 20 years for a new Netflix special and I hope it's his last one for the next 20. Dude is terrible.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

The_Rob posted:

Ok bullshit on Jeff Dunham, he just acts out racist jokes other people made up through puppets.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Finished up season 4 of Black Mirror. My general reaction is that it feels like the magic is gone. This season seemed to really just try for "shocking tales" that also include technology, rather than a show about how technology and/or social media could change society and personal interactions. There was also a lot of, well, lazy stuff like the magic DNA machine from the first episode, all the way to all the consciousness swapping in the last episode (which was probably the weakest of the season, I think). I've seen a lot of folks not like the second episode, but to me that and Episode 4/Hang the DJ were the only ones that really felt like it had any heart, and even then they were both lackluster.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The new Todd Barry special is really good.

And I liked Bright actually. Buddy cop flick with some fantasy/sci fi elements thrown in, good action scenes. I dug it.

LogisticEarth posted:

Finished up season 4 of Black Mirror. My general reaction is that it feels like the magic is gone. This season seemed to really just try for "shocking tales" that also include technology, rather than a show about how technology and/or social media could change society and personal interactions. There was also a lot of, well, lazy stuff like the magic DNA machine from the first episode, all the way to all the consciousness swapping in the last episode (which was probably the weakest of the season, I think). I've seen a lot of folks not like the second episode, but to me that and Episode 4/Hang the DJ were the only ones that really felt like it had any heart, and even then they were both lackluster.

I'm cool with it just kind of going a little more straightforward. They've covered a lot of ground story and writing wise in the past seasons already so a "shocking tales" season is alright in my book.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I watch a good amount of British TV and am generally used to any accents but I still had to put subtitles on for episode 3. Northerners might as well be all be speaking with broken jaws.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dave Chapelle's jokes about gay dudes are really not funny. Not even offensive, just really not funny. Other than that his new specials are okay. Not great, but the world's been short on great stand up in general for a while

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Judd Apatow did his first stand up in 20 years for a new Netflix special and I hope it's his last one for the next 20. Dude is terrible.

I enjoyed it! Not memorable, but very funny in parts. It was a little jarring when some jokes were relatable to an average guy like me, and then the setup to his next joke was like "Well I was asked to throw out the first pitch for the Mets..." or "Yeah I leased a Porsche because I have more money than I know what to do with".

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Dave's loving incredible when he's talking about issues he understands. Man is intelligent, eloquent, and god drat hilarious with a natural talent for telling a story. He's quite a bit less so when he's trying to squeeze some cheap jokes out about something he clearly doesn't understand very well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

Dave's loving incredible when he's talking about issues he understands. Man is intelligent, eloquent, and god drat hilarious with a natural talent for telling a story. He's quite a bit less so when he's trying to squeeze some cheap jokes out about something he clearly doesn't understand very well.

I agree with this. I guess my point earlier was that I think he's a good comic, and I don't think his somewhat misguided LGBT stuff is worth pulling out the pitchforks over. You can disagree with him and still recognize that there is still another hour and 45 minutes worth of good jokes.

BJPaskoff posted:

I enjoyed it! Not memorable, but very funny in parts. It was a little jarring when some jokes were relatable to an average guy like me, and then the setup to his next joke was like "Well I was asked to throw out the first pitch for the Mets..." or "Yeah I leased a Porsche because I have more money than I know what to do with".

To me it was mostly his delivery. He just felt like a fish out of water.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
The only jokes I laughed at while watching Chappelle, was the trans jokes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tardcore posted:

Ok bullshit on Jeff Dunham, he just acts out racist jokes other people made up through puppets.

Yeah I should have said most. Dunham is def an exception.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
Jesus Christ people, they're only jokes. How do you live outside in the real world if a single joke bothers you so much. Do you need therapy if a person looks at you the wrong way?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

cstang posted:

Jesus Christ people, they're only jokes. How do you live outside in the real world if a single joke bothers you so much. Do you need therapy if a person looks at you the wrong way?

idk man im more worried 4 u judging by how much ur reading into the potential lives of ppl because they disagree w/ u on comedy

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

cstang posted:

How do you live outside in the real world when a thoughtful conversation about comedy bothers you so much? Do you need therapy if a person disagrees with you about comedy?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Nihonniboku posted:

How do you live outside in the real world when a thoughtful conversation about comedy bothers you so much? Do you need therapy if a person disagrees with you about comedy?

BUT HOW DO YOU LIVE IF THIS GUYS POST BUGS YOU SO MUCH?? DO U NEED A GOOD CRY ON THE PHONE W/UR MOM IN THE BATHTUB WITH CANDLES TO GET OVER IT??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How Gay is Pakistan? just came out on Netflix and it's very very good.