Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

:lol:

Are you on gas? I wonder if you've got moisture in the regulator and it's frozen up?

I am on propane. 32% left in the tank. I don’t think the regulator is having issues because the furnace was firing for a minute 3x in a row before lockout. It flashed code 31, and based on some research (its a newer carrier) its a code for a pressure switch not closing. It did have a little bit of water in the inducer that I missed, and its been working after getting that out. Hopefully I can get a tech out before we leave for costa rica on the 17th.

Apologies to our HVAC goons if I hosed up any terminology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Wedding “traditions” are weird and seemingly continuously growing

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Food $200
Open Bar $150
Superman Lingerie Rental $800
Swords $3,600
Venue $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my wedding is dying

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Food $200
Open Bar $150
Superman Lingerie Rental $800
Swords $3,600
Venue $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my wedding is dying

As someone who has had a wedding, you've missed a few zeros here and there.

:negative:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Geoj posted:

Counterpoint: explain to me how a sword is useful outside of a dystopian collapse of society scenario or cosplaying at a renaissance fair :colbert:

Opening coconuts, duh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

Just wait till a watery tart lobs a scimitar at your head.

Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno I think the sword idea is pretty cool, just as long as they aren't some cheap rear end chineseum poo poo.

I would legit hang a sword on my wall if it was a hand made piece of art, not something produced.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Guys.

Its pronounced "sword".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Water main leak update:

There's the bastard:

Hang on, forgot something:

I cut the ruptured section, then decided I wanted more room to work, and cut a bit more on each side.

Cut out.

Cleaned:

..and this time I used an inspection mirror to make sure I cleaned it all the way 'round.

Done.

Pressure test was good. Shoveled all the damned dirt back in. Left the shovels out because I can't wash them right now - the dirt is frozen to them - and went in and had a hot shower.
Wife made chili.
Not really how I wanted to spend my day, but could have been worse. The sun was out and there was little wind, so it was cold but not brutal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Rhyno I think the sword idea is pretty cool, just as long as they aren't some cheap rear end chineseum poo poo.

I would legit hang a sword on my wall if it was a hand made piece of art, not something produced.

I had some time to look at what's out there for purchase today. I think I could buy several of the same basic sword (lots to choose from) and have custom hilts made. I reached out to a wood working buddy and he thinks it'd be a fun project. ANd I could get each of their names engraved in the blades.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Are you going to sharpen yours so you can do a sweet overhead cake-chop?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Are you going to sharpen yours so you can do a sweet overhead cake-chop?

I mean, obviously.

Duh

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Despite leaving the bar with hot mess, I was unable to seal the deal. She decided that swinging by her friends house party with me in tow, snorting a mountain of cocaine, and being the center of attention for everyone for all night was more what she had in mind

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

DICK DICER posted:

Despite leaving the bar with hot mess, I was unable to seal the deal. She decided that swinging by her friends house party with me in tow, snorting a mountain of cocaine, and being the center of attention for everyone for all night was more what she had in mind

Well it was always going to take a monumental effort to block that much cock

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

hey someone said monumental effort so my goal this year is to replace the fuel pump and the convertible hydraulics on this old girl

this is in addition to the transmission service I gotta do, and the timing chains/tensioners/guides i got done just before putting it away for winter.
Looking forward to an entire spring/summer with it rather than what I had this year, having bought the car with only a few weeks of fall left...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So for those of you who order food delivery via third party delivery services. A little pro tip. If they ask you to enter a tip when you place your order, the driver almost always sees the tip amount before they accept the order, or at least sees a total payout (and knowing the base pay + mileage off the top of their heads tells them roughly how much the tip is before they accept the order). The delivery company I'm devoting most of my hours to right now generally sends the last driver online at the end of the night all of the leftover orders - these are usually all the orders that went through the "hot potato" game because of lovely/no tips. I got to play trash cleanup tonight. I'm fine with that, it's part of the job, and I had a drat good day (which.. was my day off originally, but a bunch of us have a facebook chat group, and when I woke up, everyone was talking about how insanely busy it was - I made Saturday night 8 hour shift money in 6 hours on a monday).

So when I hand you your order, and I've already seen the $0.00 tip on it, don't tell me "thanks, I left your tip online bro". Because I've been out of fucks to give for awhile now - my shift ended an hour ago, your order is the only reason I'm not sitting at home drinking a beer/smoking a bowl. I just might feel like replying with "no you didn't, BRO. Have a good night" and walking off, with the concierge at the $225+ a night hotel you're staying at running into their office to keep from laughing after you've just done a mic drop. That $0 is why your order took over 2 hours to get delivered, everyone was playing hot potato with it until I was the only driver left online. It's bad enough you're not tipping when it's 18(F) degrees outside (which may as well be Antartica to us Texans), but don't lie to my face. Bro. :fuckoff:

I ran out of fucks to give an hour before then. I don't say anything unless someone flat out lies to my face; if you're not gonna tip, fine, some people just don't like to tip. Just don't lie to my face, and don't try to be "bro" with me when you're lying to me.

Bajaha posted:

As someone who has had a wedding, you've missed a few zeros here and there.

I'd say they missed multiple commas as well.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 2, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Related question: is it generally considered more kosher to leave the tip online or do it at the door? I've been doing the tip at the door for a while but now I'm wondering if I should start doing it online...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If you're ordering via a third party delivery company (DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, Seamless, Eat24, Amazon Restaurants, etc) that requests a tip at the time of order (and doesn't give you a chance to change it after the order), you're much more likely to get your order sooner if you tip online. Sucks, but a lot of drivers will play hot potato with the orders with low/zero tips included. I'll reject $1 tip orders (those are just an insult to be honest) unless I'm doing late night cleanup, but anything else I generally accept.

Some companies don't do the tip until after the order, or let you modify the tip after the fact (Favor is one).

If you're ordering from a local place - i.e. a place that handles their own delivery, including places like Papa John's, Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc - the driver doesn't see any potential tip until they're assigned an order. Those places do FIFO (first in, first out), so once a driver has checked out an order, they're generally stuck with it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Okay, cool. We have a couple third party delivery companies up here that I like to use and they all have the online tip option so I'll start using that. Thanks for the info! :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It'll never not seem like a hosed up way of doing things to me, but I guess it's too ingrained to be changed now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Thank gently caress tipping isnt a thing here

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of the great sights in Japan is watching an American completely failing to understand a Japanese server having no concept of tipping.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Trust me, I wish I lived somewhere that tipping wasn't a part of culture. I'd be much happier if I didn't have to figure out how much of a tip I would be expected to leave, then modify it depending on service - just give me a price. I'd also be much happier if I just had a flat hourly rate (maybe throw in a little if I have to drive more than usual), instead of this "you get $4 per delivery, you get 'as the bird flies' mileage, plus whatever the customer tips" stuff.

Amazon initially started out with $18 + tips for Prime Now and Restaurant deliveries. Now it's "At least $18/hr", but they won't tell us what the hourly pay is, nor will they tell us what the tips are. We just get a lump sum for the day. No breakdown, no statements. If you get fired, you can no longer view daily sums; you have to fall back on the weekly deposit emails.

My (main) job is the $4/ea + distance + tip bit, but it winds up being on par with Amazon (overall) most weeks, with less driving (so it winds up being more in that I spend less on gas, but I'm going to spend more on taxes). And I don't have to worry about getting fired over a restaurant taking 30 seconds too long on an order, or marking an order delivered 0.5 seconds too late (yes, that's a thing with Amazon - even half a second late counts against the driver, no matter what the reason - even their own internal operations people say it's outsourced overseas and stupidly heavy handed). And I can actually get 40-50 hours a week without breaking a sweat... just have to wake up a lot earlier than usual on Fridays to set up my schedule for the following week (instead of basically masturbating the refresh button in Amazon's app for hours a day to get maybe 4 hours of work.. or locked out for 1-3 weeks, if I touch it in a way it doesn't like)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 2, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The bloke working at dominos gets at minimum $18.29 an hr here whether he’s washing pans, making pizza or waiting for a delivery to be made. If they’re casual, they get a 25% loading on top of that.

gently caress tipping. Just creates a class of people at the mercy of others not being massive cunts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Trust me, I wish I lived somewhere that tipping wasn't a part of culture. I'd be much happier if I didn't have to figure out how much of a tip I would be expected to leave, then modify it depending on service - just give me a price. I'd also be much happier if I just had a flat hourly rate (maybe throw in a little if I have to drive more than usual), instead of this "you get $4 per delivery, you get 'as the bird flies' mileage, plus whatever the customer tips" stuff.

Amazon initially started out with $18 + tips for Prime Now and Restaurant deliveries. Now it's "At least $18/hr", but they won't tell us what the hourly pay is, nor will they tell us what the tips are. We just get a lump sum for the day. No breakdown, no statements. If you get fired, you can no longer view daily sums; you have to fall back on the weekly deposit emails.

My (main) job is the $4/ea + distance + tip bit, but it winds up being on par with Amazon (overall) most weeks, with less driving (so it winds up being more in that I spend less on gas, but I'm going to spend more on taxes). And I don't have to worry about getting fired over a restaurant taking 30 seconds too long on an order, or marking an order delivered 0.5 seconds too late (yes, that's a thing with Amazon - even half a second late counts against the driver, no matter what the reason - even their own internal operations people say it's outsourced overseas and stupidly heavy handed). And I can actually get 40-50 hours a week without breaking a sweat... just have to wake up a lot earlier than usual on Fridays to set up my schedule for the following week (instead of basically masturbating the refresh button in Amazon's app for hours a day to get maybe 4 hours of work.. or locked out for 1-3 weeks, if I touch it in a way it doesn't like)

Wait a sec, loving rewind a bit here.

Are you seriously telling me Amazon keeps the loving tips and doles out whatever???????

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Domino's here pays $4/hr to drivers when they're on delivery, state minimum wage ($7.25 here) when they're in the store. In some states, they pay server wage ($2.13/hr) to drivers.

Same for Papa John's and most Pizza Huts (the Pizza Hut I was at paid $5.25/hr, but that was an exception - most of the franchisees pay $2.13-4.25/hr).

There's a few parts of the US that have outlawed "tip credit wages". A friend of mine in Seattle makes $15/hr, plus tips, as a waitress.

The company I do most of my work for doesn't have an hourly wage, unless it's a slow day. They'll pay whatever the difference is to bring me up to $9/hr for the day. Which really isn't poo poo, but if I'm just sitting in the car, parked, for a few hours, it beats sitting at home jerking off. And there's only been one day since I got rehired with them that the minimum kicked in. When I originally worked for them (a few years back), the minimum would kick in once or twice a month. I'm really happy I'm back with them; it's still a crap contractor (1099) job, but at least I have access to local management and dispatch easily, and I write my own schedule weekly. None of this "oh you want to go out of town? put in a request 2 weeks ahead of time, and we'll tell you that you didn't get time off after you made travel arrangements" bullshit that most lower level jobs pull.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wait a sec, loving rewind a bit here.

Are you seriously telling me Amazon keeps the loving tips and doles out whatever???????

Yup. The best part is, they didn't tell anybody ahead of time... we just noticed our paychecks dropped by a couple of hundred a week. A bunch of people on the various Facebook/Reddit groups emailed asking WTF, and we got a reply about "variable base pay". I'll paste a screenshot here in a few, need to find the one they sent me (but it's just a form letter anyway).

edit: here ya go

e: anytime you email them about pay issues, you get the exact same email, right down to the name.
e2: for example, the default tip is $5 or 10% (whichever is greater) for tipped deliveries (same day deliveries [Prime Now] and Fresh). I took 10 deliveries the other day. I received $14 on top of the $18/hr base rate (4 hour shift, $72 + $14 = $86). A year ago, that would have been at least $40 extra. (MOAR EDIT just went back and looked at my pay for last week)
e3: I use Amazon for spending money now, instead of a reliable source of income. If they send me what they called "reserves", I might take some of them. Maybe. Of the 5 they sent me for this week, I originally accepted 3, but dropped 2, so I now only have 1. And I'm only keeping that one (for today) because I know I'll get paid for it on Friday. I pay rent this Thursday, so that little bit of money will be helpful to get me through to my next regular paycheck (the following Thursday) from my main job. I don't try to look for shifts from them anymore, I just look at what they offer me once or twice a week.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 2, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Domino's here pays $4/hr to drivers when they're on delivery, state minimum wage ($7.25 here) when they're in the store. In some states, they pay server wage ($2.13/hr) to drivers.

Same for Papa John's and most Pizza Huts (the Pizza Hut I was at paid $5.25/hr, but that was an exception - most of the franchisees pay $2.13-4.25/hr).

There's a few parts of the US that have outlawed "tip credit wages". A friend of mine in Seattle makes $15/hr, plus tips, as a waitress.

The company I do most of my work for doesn't have an hourly wage, unless it's a slow day. They'll pay whatever the difference is to bring me up to $9/hr for the day. Which really isn't poo poo, but if I'm just sitting in the car, parked, for a few hours, it beats sitting at home jerking off. And there's only been one day since I got rehired with them that the minimum kicked in. When I originally worked for them (a few years back), the minimum would kick in once or twice a month. I'm really happy I'm back with them; it's still a crap contractor (1099) job, but at least I have access to local management and dispatch easily, and I write my own schedule weekly. None of this "oh you want to go out of town? put in a request 2 weeks ahead of time, and we'll tell you that you didn't get time off after you made travel arrangements" bullshit that most lower level jobs pull.

Yup. The best part is, they didn't tell anybody ahead of time... we just noticed our paychecks dropped by a couple of hundred a week. A bunch of people on the various Facebook/Reddit groups emailed asking WTF, and we got a reply about "variable base pay". I'll paste a screenshot here in a few, need to find the one they sent me (but it's just a form letter anyway).

edit: here ya go

e: anytime you email them about pay issues, you get the exact same email, right down to the name.
e2: for example, the default tip is $5 or 10% (whichever is greater) for tipped deliveries (same day deliveries [Prime Now] and Fresh). I took 10 deliveries the other day. I received $14 on top of the $18/hr base rate (4 hour shift, $72 + $14 = $86). A year ago, that would have been at least $40 extra. (MOAR EDIT just went back and looked at my pay for last week)
e3: I use Amazon for spending money now, instead of a reliable source of income. If they send me what they called "reserves", I might take some of them. Maybe. Of the 5 they sent me for this week, I originally accepted 3, but dropped 2, so I now only have 1. And I'm only keeping that one (for today) because I know I'll get paid for it on Friday. I pay rent this Thursday, so that little bit of money will be helpful to get me through to my next regular paycheck (the following Thursday) from my main job. I don't try to look for shifts from them anymore, I just look at what they offer me once or twice a week.

Annd here's more evidence just how ridiculously hosed up the USA is - You could not get away with that poo poo anywhere else in the West. gently caress me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Annd here's more evidence just how ridiculously hosed up the USA is - You could not get away with that poo poo anywhere else in the West. gently caress me.
The best bit is that if you tried to change it, you'd get complaints from the people on the receiving end of the shafting.

I do believe that there has to be the freedom for people to make their own choices, if they feel they can succeed or earn more working a certain way, but the US does a great job of selling that wrapper on a reality of loving people over. It's little different to their healthcare situation, really.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh boy, you're about to get me started on what I pay a month for medical insurance.

The only reason I can even afford medical insurance is because Cheeto The President hasn't (yet) outlawed the subsidies. My insurance plan is about $500/month. I pay about $100. I have chronic health issues that require regular doctor's visits (seems I caught some MURIKA and have the beetus and kulesterul problems - blood work 3-4x a year, dr visits every 2-3 months).

Add in about $20,000 of student loans to make it extra fun (the minimum payment on those is a mere $200/month). I admit I have a low deductible plan, but it's still much higher out of pocket vs the plan I had last year.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

gimpsuitjones posted:

Wedding “traditions” are weird and seemingly continuously growing

I swear my other half is making stuff up at this point.
The way I see it though is that she seems to be happy organising and picking things out so I'm happy to go along with it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Some companies don't do the tip until after the order, or let you modify the tip after the fact (Favor is one).

I'd prefer this as some drivers have a harder time then they should finding my place. It's on the corner of a street and a private way, and the street address is for the street, but you really want the private way, which is on maps. The notes on my address profile list that and get copied on every order, but some drivers still manage to call to say they're there when they're not close, and get lost in that last minute of driving while I try to explain how to get there while standing outside. Being able to get there and call me down when it's time deserves more tip, and claiming you're there only to get stuck asking to directions deserves less.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Reading your delivery blog has me thinking that you might consider pursuing something that isn't doing deliveries? I don't know what your skill set is and what that student loan debt got you, but surely there's something else?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I always tip in cash.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well I am GLAD I brought my car in for service; loving lower ball joint is so worn you can move the bottom of the tire in and out almost 2 inches. :stonk:

It's so bad the actual taper seat has been wallowed out so I need a new knuckle, and I never felt so much as an unusual wiggle. Son of a bitch.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I also try to tip in cash when possible. So I'd be sitting there waiting 2 hours for my order and then not tip after it took so long, since, you know, it's supposed to be based on service.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Well I am GLAD I brought my car in for service; loving lower ball joint is so worn you can move the bottom of the tire in and out almost 2 inches. :stonk:

It's so bad the actual taper seat has been wallowed out so I need a new knuckle, and I never felt so much as an unusual wiggle. Son of a bitch.

:stare: Thank you for reminding me to start taking my car in for service more regularly. Been about six months so probably a good time for a checkup.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I'd been putting it off because Panther cars aren't exactly finicky, and I've only put about 6k miles on it since getting it with what looked like fresh oil so I wasn't concerned. Learn me a lesson.

Silver lining: I think the lower ball joint is loaded on the ground, so it wasn't actually wiggling like that while driving, and the tire tread still looks perfect, no cupping/sawtoothing/uneven wear inside to outside. These parts and an alignment and I should be good to go.

Also learned that the massive rattle I've had since the start is in fact related to the exhaust leak I got like a month ago. Bolts came loose on a flange and the gasket must have just been hanging on, then let go all at once, cause it's just gone. Gasket's like $8 and they're charging me like 1/2hr labor since I'm already getting the suspension work done, so that'll be nice to have sorted.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

Your Crown Vic?
I get worn out ball joint, but the only way for the knuckle to wear out like that is for the ball joint stud to back off, or not be tight in the first place. Not cool.

Speaking of Crown Vic - I basically did the NES cartridge procedure (pull it out, look at it, blow on it, put it back) on the electrical connector on the EGR module, and wiggled the vacuum lines a bit, and the CEL for P0402 hasn't come back since I cleared it. No pending code in 50+ miles, so, huh. Not even getting the misfire code (which apparently can be a side effect of too much EGR.) Sorta makes sense, because the code started popping after I unplugged the connector for clearance when I changed the spark plugs. Weird, though.
Eh, if it works...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This is actually fairly common in the service industry, and thanks to Trump rolling back an Obama-era regulation under the FLSA its now legal for employers of tipped employees to pool all tips and dole them out as they see fit, providing the tipped employees are paid the higher non-tipped minimum wage rate.

Its basically a way for restaurants to get customers to supplement the wages of their kitchen and other non-managerial, non-tipped staff. And for management to skim a cut off the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, the nut looked loose. They showed me and I could see the taper wiggling in the knuckle seat. Dunno who did the last one but gently caress 'em.

I was gonna have them pull the ABS code but they suggested that high movement might have been loving with the wheel speed sensor so I'll see if all this happens to fix that. I'd rather not pay $100 for the ~~very special ABS scan tool~~. Also, apparently this car puts the tone rings embedded in the hub, not the brake rotor? Is that common?

• Locked thread