Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I...uh...how do I build a road?

edit: Oh, Imperial Highways tech?

Yea, once you build it in a city it'll automatically set up the most profitable routes. You can make them more profitable by entering trade agreements with friendly empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Generic Octopus posted:

Yea, once you build it in a city it'll automatically set up the most profitable routes. You can make them more profitable by entering trade agreements with friendly empires.
I built the Highways in a city and it still has 0/2 routes. I can see the roads branching out to the other cities I have adjacent. I've tried clicking around but this kinda thing is the typical Endless game stuff with an unhelpful UI and zero explanation.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I built the Highways in a city and it still has 0/2 routes. I can see the roads branching out to the other cities I have adjacent. I've tried clicking around but this kinda thing is the typical Endless game stuff with an unhelpful UI and zero explanation.

To trade you need:

1) a city.
2) another city in an adjacent province.
3) The highway tech and the building in the city.
4) For the other guy to have the highway tech and the building in that city.
-or-
1) A port.
2) Another port somewhere.

Edit: If you're playing single player you could always trade the highway tech to the dude you want to set up routes with.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

What Spanish Matlock said can also be seen in-game on the Empire Management screen; the tool-tip appears when you mouse over "Trade Routes Income." Poor placement but it'll show everything Matlock listed there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LOL okay so the AI army that is sieging my town can pull reinforcements to the battle I initiate to lift the siege....from his militia garrison in an adjacent region, but I cant? WTF?!? This is the dumbest poo poo I have ever seen. Is there I console I can use to give myself dust to buy out three armies to be able to win this battle? What a loving joke.

Spanish Matlock posted:

To trade you need:

1) a city.
2) another city in an adjacent province.
3) The highway tech and the building in the city.
4) For the other guy to have the highway tech and the building in that city.
-or-
1) A port.
2) Another port somewhere.

Edit: If you're playing single player you could always trade the highway tech to the dude you want to set up routes with.

Generic Octopus posted:

What Spanish Matlock said can also be seen in-game on the Empire Management screen; the tool-tip appears when you mouse over "Trade Routes Income." Poor placement but it'll show everything Matlock listed there.
Oh, so I cant have trade routes within my own empire? Thats great, because the AI near me wont sign Peace deals even if I offer them 1000 dust, the ten technologies I own that they dont, and all of my commodity and strategic resources.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Like...seriously, this is a thing?

As you can see, there is a hostile army sieging my city/region in the middle there. If I send an army to fight the enemy army, a huge fuckoff army a region over, including Militia, can join in as his recinforcements; but neither the garrison troops I built in my adjacent regions nor my Militia from the same adjacent regions can join in the battle? How does this make sense at all?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Attack the army from a different square. The guys that get pulled in depend on the actual battlefield location. You can see what's in the battlefield if you hover over the enemy army with one of yours that are in range selected. If any of his city is within the shadowed area his militia will be available. Get his army to head over to the west or north side of your city and it'll pull in your militia from your nearby city in that direction.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Oh, so I cant have trade routes within my own empire? Thats great, because the AI near me wont sign Peace deals even if I offer them 1000 dust, the ten technologies I own that they dont, and all of my commodity and strategic resources.

You can, but both cities need the structure built. If only one has it, roads will start to form but that just makes travel easier for your units.

LOL okay so the AI army that is sieging my town can pull reinforcements to the battle I initiate to lift the siege....from his militia garrison in an adjacent region, but I cant?

Before engaging in a battle, you can see a preview of what hexes will be used for the battleground; if other armies/cities are in that zone, they're eligible to reinforce.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Slaan posted:

Attack the army from a different square. The guys that get pulled in depend on the actual battlefield location. You can see what's in the battlefield if you hover over the enemy army with one of yours that are in range selected. If any of his city is within the shadowed area his militia will be available. Get his army to head over to the west or north side of your city and it'll pull in your militia from your nearby city in that direction.
Thank you for the quick reply with an explanation.

Holy poo poo this is so mindbogglingly stupid. I got it figured out now though. Thank god for all of you kind gentlegoons in this thread.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 2, 2018

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't, "Other dude" in my explanation can in fact also be you, but the other city needs the same improvement, as per normal. Roving Clans get (I'm pretty sure) an ability that lets them trade through cold war or actual war. They're the main trading race. Of course there's nothing you can really do if your enemies/friends just won't build the trading building in their city. With the release of Tempest there's also more focus on harbors and seafaring, so you're more likely to be able to secure sea routes as well.

As for the battlefield thing, it's a very important tactic for wars in general. If you're doing the attacking, choosing the square to attack from lets you determine the battlefield terrain, so you can set it up to give the enemy fewer places to hide, or include a big cliff you can launch ranged attacks from, for example.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't, "Other dude" in my explanation can in fact also be you, but the other city needs the same improvement, as per normal. Roving Clans get (I'm pretty sure) an ability that lets them trade through cold war or actual war.
To be specific, that's a skill that RC heroes get. So everyone can get it, Clans just has easier access to it. A high level RC hero can give you shitloads of dust lategame, too.

Removing the hero kills most of the trade routes due to no Black Marketeer

Removing the hero on the previous turn instead, so the city gets all trade routes

So the hero is responsible for about 38k dust per turn in city income, about 62k after the museum and a dust accumulator facility with 22 total fortresses.

Of course this is with grassilk fed through the double luxury booster effect national wonder, plus negotiation tactics, and also benevolent emperor and doubled dust water and orchid. The grassilk is the most important part there, with the National Craftworks it triples the trade route dust income for that city.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Check out this ugly rear end city that I have built:

The city center is under the "h" in Alshain. Went north first, then kept growing like crazy sooooo here we are thanks to the Era-district thingies (Megapole and the science one) plus the Pearl-district thingies (Anomaly Abbey and resource boosters).

They uh, really should do something to encourage clumped together cities rather than this...its so silly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 2, 2018

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I count 8 level one districts out of 14 (+cargo dock). One of them is a strategic intensifier admittedly, but one of the level 2s is the abbey of anomalies which IIRC adds +5 food per level and nothing else. If you had just made a west-east line (after making a triangle at 6 districts) ending where the... winter borough? and cargo dock are, you could have 10 level 2 districts and 4 level 2 districts instead, at the cost of... not getting that glassteel intensifier? Unless those two anomalies next to the glassteel are really good I don't think it was worth going south like that, even with the abbey. Maybe if you're still at 100 approval, but are they really better than 8 dust/science/influence and 60 happiness? Plus you're probably at least nearing era 5, so you'll soon be giving up what, 60 more influence from aura of empire? And science from the building that gives science for level 2 districts if you bother to get it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

I count 8 level one districts out of 14 (+cargo dock). One of them is a strategic intensifier admittedly, but one of the level 2s is the abbey of anomalies which IIRC adds +5 food per level and nothing else. If you had just made a west-east line (after making a triangle at 6 districts) ending where the... winter borough? and cargo dock are, you could have 10 level 2 districts and 4 level 2 districts instead, at the cost of... not getting that glassteel intensifier? Unless those two anomalies next to the glassteel are really good I don't think it was worth going south like that, even with the abbey. Maybe if you're still at 100 approval, but are they really better than 8 dust/science/influence and 60 happiness? Plus you're probably at least nearing era 5, so you'll soon be giving up what, 60 more influence from aura of empire? And science from the building that gives science for level 2 districts if you bother to get it.
I am still at 100 approval and I had no idea about those other bonuses so I had no idea I was missing out on the 8 dust/science/influence. This is my third successful game and I keep restarting to do my cities from the beginning even better than the last; I was already planning on starting a new one because I did not realize that the Strategic Intensifier and Luxury Intensifier were A Thing. So I will definitely keep those things in mind. That city is still growing rapidly (in terms of new workers every 5ish turns) plus I get to build the palace Age-Building shortly, so I am sure I could salvage it, to a degree.

What is the bonus for getting the City Center to 2? I cant figure out how to see what it is.

I am considering doing a Cult run since I am really enjoying the city building aspect of the game.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you're still at 100 approval you should be fine, losing out on the aura of empire influence hurts but if you get the +50 influence per level wonder you should be fine. I didn't consider that you had a level 2 museum, that's +40 approval, and approval is usually the problem with having a bunch of level 1 districts.

Pretty sure the bonus is the same for the city center as normal districts, 15 approval, 2 dust, 2 science, 2 influence, possible additional bonuses from late game buildings.

If you're doing cult, the slavery capacity that some necrophage heroes have is really powerful for the cult. It gives +1 industry per pop and +1 food per pop for every pacified village, so normally +3 to both for a 3-village region. But it also works with converted villages, letting the cult get insane food and industry. The cult also gets level 3 districts, so you'll probably want to stick to a line pretty strictly until you run out of space. Abbey/intensifiers being exceptions if you get places to put them next to the line, since you don't really care for their levels. Also I'm pretty sure one of the cult faction quests requires/can require getting your city center to level 3, so keep that in mind while placing districts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It seems there is no way to burn a captured city to the ground? I don't see the Salt The Earth option.

Edit: Also, is there any logic to Pearl... growth? If I let an instance of 2 sit for a while will it turn into more eventually?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 4, 2018

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You need 100% ownership to issue a Salt the Earth command. Ownership goes up 8% per turn after city capture, so you have to suck it up and wait a while. It was just mentioned above that the Teir4 tech privateers will auto-raze cities upon capture.

I have no idea about pearl growth, I suspect they get higher in-place. They spawn at bigger numbers while sitting on resource nodes, but it's not worth leaving them alone to 'farm' as usually a single fast unit can gobble them all up in a single summer. And the AI is good at capping them, so it's risky to leave them out.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I believe pearl spawns are simply set in stone at start creation. So, if two pearls spawned on a hex during the first winter, two pearls will spawn there on every subsequent one. Any growth or stacking is simply the result of nobody bothering to pick up the previous shipment.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I hope I made you proud Staltran :3:

Serephina posted:

You need 100% ownership to issue a Salt the Earth command. Ownership goes up 8% per turn after city capture, so you have to suck it up and wait a while. It was just mentioned above that the Teir4 tech privateers will auto-raze cities upon capture.

I have no idea about pearl growth, I suspect they get higher in-place. They spawn at bigger numbers while sitting on resource nodes, but it's not worth leaving them alone to 'farm' as usually a single fast unit can gobble them all up in a single summer. And the AI is good at capping them, so it's risky to leave them out.
Ahh right, I forgot about Privateers, need to do that if I dont want to keep the city. And yeah, I send a fast unit around to pick them up but I wasnt sure if I should let them sit and they would grow more than just what appears for Winter.

Lichtenstein posted:

I believe pearl spawns are simply set in stone at start creation. So, if two pearls spawned on a hex during the first winter, two pearls will spawn there on every subsequent one. Any growth or stacking is simply the result of nobody bothering to pick up the previous shipment.
Got it, just go ahead and send the fast unit around to gobble 'em up, awesome.

Thank you both!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Started a new game as the Cult to give it a try...

:vince:

Also, gently caress ruins :v:

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Why are the pirates in Endless Space 2 so much more of a military threat than other empires, even on medium to high difficulties?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Started a new game as the Cult to give it a try...

:vince:

Also, gently caress ruins :v:

I assume those are some good anomalies, in which case congratulations on winning the game. As a side note, I'd recommend reconvening your army asap. Those preachers aren't going to be able to do poo poo on their own. If you can try to pacify that starting village through the quest or bribery so they can start popping out soldiers for you asap.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fix Lag posted:

Why are the pirates in Endless Space 2 so much more of a military threat than other empires, even on medium to high difficulties?

To let you know you gotta start your military research by turn 15 AT THE LATEST.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Spanish Matlock posted:

I assume those are some good anomalies, in which case congratulations on winning the game. As a side note, I'd recommend reconvening your army asap. Those preachers aren't going to be able to do poo poo on their own. If you can try to pacify that starting village through the quest or bribery so they can start popping out soldiers for you asap.

They're not going to do poo poo together either though, are they? And even on their own they can see and explore ruins and parley/bribe/convert. And you want to put your hero in as a governor at level 2, right? I did't do that the last time I played cult and it really felt like the lack of influence screwed me over.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Spanish Matlock posted:

They're not going to do poo poo together either though, are they? And even on their own they can see and explore ruins and parley/bribe/convert. And you want to put your hero in as a governor at level 2, right? I did't do that the last time I played cult and it really felt like the lack of influence screwed me over.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I usually keep them together, because hero and priests can take most minors. Once you have a couple villages you split them off to lead armies of converts so they can bring further villages into the fold.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fix Lag posted:

I just bought the game when they had done an update a few months ago and apparently the Pirates got overtuned and are way too powerful. You can thankfully turn the Pirate difficulty down in the options somewhere without affecting the game's difficulty setting. I set them to low and I felt that it made them manageable/appropriate.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah they're pretty great, and I love river hexes too so it will be nice that I can grow that way once I start to get a bunch of river-boosting techs. I split up the army to explore then brought them back and garrisoned them in the city to save dust, then simply went and bribed the two nearby villages as soon as I had the dust. Can I blow the villages up then rebuild them once I would rather spend city production power rather than dust, or should I just focus on dust so I can run around and bribe all of 'em?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Seeing endless space 2 gives me hope for EL2, but what would you even improve on? AI?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I just bought the game when they had done an update a few months ago and apparently the Pirates got overtuned and are way too powerful. You can thankfully turn the Pirate difficulty down in the options somewhere without affecting the game's difficulty setting. I set them to low and I felt that it made them manageable/appropriate.

Yeah they're pretty great, and I love river hexes too so it will be nice that I can grow that way once I start to get a bunch of river-boosting techs. I split up the army to explore then brought them back and garrisoned them in the city to save dust, then simply went and bribed the two nearby villages as soon as I had the dust. Can I blow the villages up then rebuild them once I would rather spend city production power rather than dust, or should I just focus on dust so I can run around and bribe all of 'em?

You can't rebuild villages outside of your region. You can convert destroyed villages but it costs 2x as much influence. You just want to pacify->convert by any means necessary. The quest is usually the most effective way since that'll pacify every village in the region. So if it's 1 village, just buy it, if it's 3 villages definitely quest, if it's 2 villages then see if the quest sucks and if it does just buy it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
All this cultist talk made me fire up the game and try a harder difficulty with them. After a half dozen failed starts, I'm not really sure if I know how to get them off the ground on Impossibly difficulty. Inevitably, a neighbor shows up with teir2 gear and multiple 6-stacks and starts wrecking all converted villages, when I'm still in barely into Age2. The setup period just isn't long enough before I have to go full unit production and try and fight the endless stacks. Or I could not try to defend the converts, but then why the hell am I playing Cultists? Dropping it back down to Serious difficulty everything is too-easy again. Hrm. Maybe I should try a different race for Impossible, hiding behind my own territory (since the AI doesn't want to actually declare war, they just like being dicks in neutral ground) until I can get a stack that's superior and can win fights w/o trading.

Sorry for the garbage post, just decompressing after getting stomped a lot.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Why do roaming neutral armies go around collecting Pearls? :psyduck:

Spanish Matlock posted:

You can't rebuild villages outside of your region. You can convert destroyed villages but it costs 2x as much influence. You just want to pacify->convert by any means necessary. The quest is usually the most effective way since that'll pacify every village in the region. So if it's 1 village, just buy it, if it's 3 villages definitely quest, if it's 2 villages then see if the quest sucks and if it does just buy it.
Got it, thank you!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 6, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Avasculous posted:

I could be wrong, but I think a 4x game where battles never caused armies to take more than a historically-accurate 5-10% casualties would not be very popular.

I think this sounds really awesome actually. I hate how badly you snowball in 4x games and something like this would help keep the game a lot more interesting. Winning a single opening engagement is often the deciding precursor to winning the game.

Combine it with pushing into enemy territory causing supply line issues and you might have something special.

As it is right now, most 4x games heavily encourage winning every single fight (to the point where some people reload every time they suffer a minor loss) and give the AI massive resource advantages so they can handle constantly losing. If you did things differently you'd be able to support a better give and take in combat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Did ancient armies, after suffering a decisive defeat and being decimated, typically regroup and fight immediately after? If not, then remove the unit off of the map, it's no longer relevant, the Romans are sieging your poo poo it's game over.

Actually, I just decided to do a quick check:

wikipedia posted:

Casualties were slight compared to later battles, amounting to anywhere between 5 and 15% for the winning and losing sides respectively,[6] but the slain often included the most prominent citizens and generals who led from the front. Thus, the whole war could be decided by a single field battle; victory was enforced by ransoming the fallen back to the defeated, called the 'Custom of the Dead Greeks'.
Source.

So basically, units where obliterated after losing a fight, even if the individual soldiers lived. It sounds like we have people (or maybe just a single person) in this thread romanticizing a type of combat that never existed, and are asking for a game that doesn't fit the medium (4X games, both board- and video-).

The good news is that you can create your very own game, stuff like Cogmind throws everything you knew about a genre out the window and writes their own rules. Offbeat stuff is cool, and some of the best ideas/games come from labours of love.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'd also be alright with wars being over after a single decisive battle. The long drawn out mop up phase that lacks any interesting tactical decisions is what bothers me in most 4x games.

AoW3 is probably the biggest offender in recent memory.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I don't mind the ~victory mop up~ after you know you've already won, I feel like blowing up and rapidly expanding/consuming feels like a nice reward. Although I can also understand players that just would just want it to be over once they "know" they've won.

The exception being bullshit retreat/movement mechanics that unnecessarily drag things out. I haven't played Stellaris in a few major patches but multiple small enemy fleets "system hopping and retreating" was/is the loving worst.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, EL also has huge issues of the game being over after you eat your second neighbor, but you still have to trundle your army across the map to eat three more capitals. The doomstack gaining levels as it goes just makes things more comically one-sided; I've had lvl7 units rolling over lvl3-4 AI units on Serious difficulty. The power differential for leveling units is really understated in EL.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think that's why most 4x games these days end when you've absorbed ~40% of the map. By that time a game is usually won.
e: That could be fixed by AI playing like a player, rather than roleplaying their faction I think, but then at the same time late game can quickly turn into a slog where you know you've won, but every inch of the map you take takes forever due to losses on both sides.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So how important are Trade Companies to the Lumeris? I know Trade is their " thing" but I was under the impression that trade had been nerfed into the ground and that Dust inflation put a damper on their buyout power. I like the Lumeris and the United Empire a lot, it just feels like the UE's buyout gimmick is stronger on the whole.

Honestly, I wish the Lumeris could parlay with pirates. Pay protection money or bribe them to target other players.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I was looking for EL strategies for Cultists and https://www.reddit.com/r/EndlessLegend/comments/6327rh/advanced_cultist_tips/ is the most recent thing I can find but he wants a start with 18 food and 19 industry, and I'm thinking as hard as I can, I've literally never seen two FIDS above 12 before.

Is he quitting and restarting a thousand times to get seven anomalies in a perfect bullseye? I'm really struggling to get to Tech 2 by turn 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I was looking for EL strategies for Cultists and https://www.reddit.com/r/EndlessLegend/comments/6327rh/advanced_cultist_tips/ is the most recent thing I can find but he wants a start with 18 food and 19 industry, and I'm thinking as hard as I can, I've literally never seen two FIDS above 12 before.

Is he quitting and restarting a thousand times to get seven anomalies in a perfect bullseye? I'm really struggling to get to Tech 2 by turn 20.

I mean, are you making converting villages your main priority? You get the FIDS surrounding those villages. If you have a neighbor province with 3 kazanji with an easy quest you can easily convert them, integrate them, get a huge influence boost, infinite fire demons with upgraded weapons/armor once you get the megapole up, and all the hexes around their villages dumping FIDS directly into your city.