Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cheese-cube posted:

Never trust consumer networking equipment to not be riddled with vulnerabilities.

I'd figure it's about equal to a roll your own solution by an amateur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

I'd figure it's about equal to a roll your own solution by an amateur.

You do you think makes the software for consumer networking hardware?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
People copy pasting reference code provided by chip manufacturers?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

yoloer420 posted:

I worked at one of those chip companies before and this is a completely correct opinion. Most of the companies which ship consumer internet routers have very little in house software capability so they just put their own branding on reference software.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

yoloer420 posted:

+ whatever Linux distro that fits on the ROM without modification.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

cheese-cube posted:

The security risks will depend on the VPN implementation in software and how you configure it. IMO you should only consider it if you have an actual requirement for it.

Never trust consumer networking equipment to not be riddled with vulnerabilities.

Well, I'm just trying to have a little bit added security for when I connect my devices to public wifi's in cafes and the like, and have always been interested in networking as something I'd like to know more about as a personal hobby.

What are some of the best practices for VPN implementation and software? Do you have any resources I can do some research on?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
not sure I'd recommend running whatever piece of poo poo version of openvpn/strongswan someone managed to get running on openwrt on an internet facing IP

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 2, 2018

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Your best bet is probably to get a $5/mo VPS from digitalocean and install Algo on it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rufus Ping posted:

Your best bet is probably to get a $5/mo VPS from digitalocean and install Algo on it

Or get a decent router(meaning not consumer class).

This is what I was thinking about when I originally responded to him, getting a cheapish router thats actually decent(I like my ubiquiti, but you do need to make sure that it is configured properly to not expose anything)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Rufus Ping posted:

Or use the free AWS tier.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Evis posted:

Or use the free AWS tier.
Sure, if you're not already an AWS customer, and you're okay with 15GB/month and paying for it after a year. For most people, $5/month is an acceptable tradeoff for those things.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Windows patches out for the big CPU vulnerabilities. Does anyone know if like Linux they've decided to leave amd alone?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My crystal ball says no

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Oysters Autobio posted:

Well, I'm just trying to have a little bit added security for when I connect my devices to public wifi's in cafes and the like, and have always been interested in networking as something I'd like to know more about as a personal hobby.

What are some of the best practices for VPN implementation and software? Do you have any resources I can do some research on?

OpenVPN combined with PiHole on a raspberry pi is pretty nice

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I'm planning on wiping my windows later tonight after I get home. I wanted to start fresh and ensure everything is configured properly. I had a few questions if you guys wouldn't mind helping out!

1. Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)
- I checked the link and I see "The new end of life date is July 31, 2018. There are no plans to offer support or security patching for EMET after July 31, 2018. For improved security, we recommend that customers migrate to the latest version of Windows 10."
I have windows 10, does this mean I don't need EMET?

2. At least for Windows' built-in firewall, configure it so it denies all inbound traffic regardless of what network you are on and only enable inbound ports if absolutely necessary.
- Would this mean opening windows firewall and literally setting all inbound traffic to none? Will my internet still work? Are there specific rules I should use? I assume I should unblock like steam or utorrent or things like that, but I'm just looking for a little more clarification on how exactly I go about accomplishing this.

3. Make sure that admin access is disabled from the Internet
- How exactly does this work? It sounds like "don't have an admin account which has the ability to connect to the internet" but that doesn't really seem right so I'm probably understanding it. Can anyone explain?

I'm a stupid dummy who doesn't know the answers to these questions hope you guys can help, thank you if you do.

e; additional questions

4. Should I get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware? Planning on using Windows Defender & Firewall.

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 5, 2018

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Blowdryer posted:

1. Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)
- I checked the link and I see "The new end of life date is July 31, 2018. There are no plans to offer support or security patching for EMET after July 31, 2018. For improved security, we recommend that customers migrate to the latest version of Windows 10."
I have windows 10, does this mean I don't need EMET?

Correct. The protection provided by EMET was rolled into Windows Defender.

Blowdryer posted:

2. At least for Windows' built-in firewall, configure it so it denies all inbound traffic regardless of what network you are on and only enable inbound ports if absolutely necessary.
- Would this mean opening windows firewall and literally setting all inbound traffic to none? Will my internet still work? Are there specific rules I should use? I assume I should unblock like steam or utorrent or things like that, but I'm just looking for a little more clarification on how exactly I go about accomplishing this.

Unless you're going to be using a 4G dongle or have a weird setup your PC will be behind NAT and not directly exposed to the internet. Modifying the Windows Firewall configuration will only really affect communication with other devices on your LAN. IMO just leave it as-is and make sure you will be fine, if you're super worried just set the network location to "Public".

Edit: applications like Steam and most Windows torrent clients are smart enough that they'll automatically add inbound rules to Windows Firewall when you install them. However, and this is more specific to torrent clients, if you've disabled UPnP on your modem/router (And you should) then you'll need to configure static NAT/port forwarding to allow inbound connections. Also uTorrent is terrible, use Deluge instead.

Blowdryer posted:

3. Make sure that admin access is disabled from the Internet
- How exactly does this work? It sounds like "don't have an admin account which has the ability to connect to the internet" but that doesn't really seem right so I'm probably understanding it. Can anyone explain?

This is referring to your router/modem and administrative access via HTTP/SSH/Telnet/etc. You need to check the configuration of your router/modem and make sure that it only allows administrative access from your LAN and does not allow access from the internet.

Blowdryer posted:

4. Should I get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware? Planning on using Windows Defender & Firewall.

No, don't bother with MBAM or any other AV really as they're all hot garbage.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 6, 2018

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

e: wrong thread

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 14, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Malwarebytes anti-malware had a bug in an update today that caused some kind of memory leak that would cause windows to crash. Apparently there's a new update that fixes it but if you had windows problems today and use it, that's why:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/220112-important-web-blocking-ram-usage/

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Malwarebytes anti-malware had a bug in an update today that caused some kind of memory leak that would cause windows to crash. Apparently there's a new update that fixes it but if you had windows problems today and use it, that's why:

cheese-cube posted:

No, don't bother with MBAM or any other AV really as they're all hot garbage.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Rexxed posted:

Did you read the OP?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lain Iwakura posted:

Did you read the OP?

Yes, but since many goons will come to the Haus of Tech support when their computer is acting funny today and may not have read the OP, they might look in this thread. I posted for notification, not because I'm having a problem with some bad software. A client of mine called me today with memory management errors because he purchased MBAM for some reason (not on my advice).

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Rexxed posted:

Yes, but since many goons will come to the Haus of Tech support when their computer is acting funny today and may not have read the OP, they might look in this thread. I posted for notification, not because I'm having a problem with some bad software. A client of mine called me today with memory management errors because he purchased MBAM for some reason (not on my advice).

Great. Here's the advice you should give: uninstall MalwareBytes because it's trash.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah you're preaching to the choir here.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Rexxed posted:

Yeah you're preaching to the choir here.

Congrats. You've beaten the dead horse.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Lain Iwakura posted:

Great. Here's the advice you should give: uninstall MalwareBytes because it's trash.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
i know the answer to this, and most stuff is "its not as safe as you think so just practice good habits", but how safe is reckless internet browsing on something like Sandboxie?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

buglord posted:

i know the answer to this, and most stuff is "its not as safe as you think so just practice good habits", but how safe is reckless internet browsing on something like Sandboxie?

Run an up to date browser, don't run flash (lol) or Java (even more lol) and you're almost certainly fine. Browser 0days are way more valuable than you.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Don't most ISPs provide a security suite with internet service? I know the options in my area, AT&T and Cox, both include McAfee. I prefer not to let McAfee poo poo up my system, but considering the OP mentions "check if your school/work offers AV!" I think the OP should also mention checking with your ISP.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Crotch Fruit posted:

Don't most ISPs provide a security suite with internet service? I know the options in my area, AT&T and Cox, both include McAfee. I prefer not to let McAfee poo poo up my system, but considering the OP mentions "check if your school/work offers AV!" I think the OP should also mention checking with your ISP.

Don't run software from your ISP lol

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I mean I agree I wouldn't install McAfee, but I also definitely would not pay more to activate the trial of whatever crappy AV came on a new PC and I wouldn't want anything else to either. If someone really wants to insist on having paid AV, I assume your ISPs version of McAfee is the same as actually subscribing to McAfee, which would just be even more stupid since you're already paying for it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

I mean I agree I wouldn't install McAfee, but I also definitely would not pay more to activate the trial of whatever crappy AV came on a new PC and I wouldn't want anything else to either. If someone really wants to insist on having paid AV, I assume your ISPs version of McAfee is the same as actually subscribing to McAfee, which would just be even more stupid since you're already paying for it.

If someone insists on paid av they should pay for it, not you. And the only people you should listen to for dumb requests like that should be paying you and giving you a computer anyway.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
If I logged into a site through Facebook or Google and that site is compromised, is my Facebook or Google account compromised as well? I'm sure you can guess this is related to the recent MyFitnessPal break in but I would imagine that this can vary from service to service.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No. Facebook/Google login APIs are token-based, your password is never involved except when you log in on Facebook or Google's website.

It's theoretically possible that they could access whatever information the service can request from Facebook or Google, but I'd consider it unlikely. At worst, just disconnect the service from your account.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

If I logged into a site through Facebook or Google and that site is compromised, is my Facebook or Google account compromised as well? I'm sure you can guess this is related to the recent MyFitnessPal break in but I would imagine that this can vary from service to service.

I want to say that it depends on if you actually logged into fb or ended up putting your fb credentials into a honeypot. If they use the fb login API and you end upon fb they shouldn't be able to mitm that, right? Basically if you see your name/photo you should be safe.

e;fb

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

syscall girl posted:

I want to say that it depends on if you actually logged into fb or ended up putting your fb credentials into a honeypot. If they use the fb login API and you end upon fb they shouldn't be able to mitm that, right? Basically if you see your name/photo you should be safe.

e;fb

or if you gave the site permission to screw with your profile/content as part of the sign-in/link process. Definitely worth a check on whatever services' third-party app connections page(s) if you're concerned.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
A friend has been trying to delete his Facebook account, but he has been unable to because he used the FB login to create his Spotify account, and in that situation Spotify doesn't have a "disconnect" option. Spotify's workaround is to create a new account and have support transfer over playlists and such. But Spotify doesn't offer the subscription plan he used anymore, a new plan would double the price.

I've been too squeamish to use FB or Google login for anything else and I feel it has been the right choice.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
The best thing he can do then is to delete everything from that FB account and just leave it a zombie page until Spotify enforces the new subscription prices on everyone. Which will happen eventually.

It won't get rid of the stuff already mined, but deleting the account probably won't either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MANime in the sheets posted:

The best thing he can do then is to delete everything from that FB account and just leave it a zombie page until Spotify enforces the new subscription prices on everyone. Which will happen eventually.

It won't get rid of the stuff already mined, but deleting the account probably won't either.

This is why I'm glad I never opted to use FB to authenticate to anything.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

This is why I'm glad I never opted to use FB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short