Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

$100k used to be the most money you could make in the Game of Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

You keep demanding people show their work yet you throw around these percentages that you absolutely pulled out of your rear end.

I've provided data on income quintiles and specific rebuttals to specific claims about specific areas, you've provided nothing but asspulls :shrug:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Office Pig posted:

Do you ever consider where you’ll be mentally and politically if the Democratic Party has Congress + the WH and they... don’t do this? I’m not even saying they won’t, at the very least I’m not going to immediately rule it out, but several Democratic senators back in 2016 were working with Republicans toward plans that would lower corporate rates to percentages in the teens. They’ve been more vocal about backing trash bipartisan policies than responding to the party base and if they’ve learned anything this year it’s that they can very easily ignore the public when it’s inconvenient if there are no actually meaningful consequences for a US representative.

The way you fix this is by staying engaged after the elections. We have to keep the fire burning under their asses to get poo poo done because we've seen what happens when we don't.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

FuturePastNow posted:

I work as a tax preparer in a fairly cheap area but I've had a fair number of clients who could be affected by a $10k cap on the taxes they can deduct. If you think it's just "the rich" then you are out of your mind.

A train engineer making $90k, a pair of married nurses making $110k, an electrical lineman making $135k, all of whom have houses and college-age kids, are not the enemy of America, friends. Actually apart from nurses and management types, a lot of the people I'm thinking of are union labor of some kind.

I'm sorry you sound like a piece of poo poo liberal.

To the guillotines with them and their children!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

middle class can't be 30,000 a year if 18,000 is the average. Or it's just a local thing.
Feel free to show me a city where people making the median income for that city are paying $12k+ in SALT then, so far nobody has been able to do it and every example someone provided fell apart under the mildest of scrutiny.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheNewt posted:

Oh I'm the sanctimonious one when you're the guys saying people should be put to death for living in a house that costs the price that you somehow have magically determined is too costly.

You're the one walking around wishing for peoples deaths in an open forum and bashing anyone who disagrees with you with political epithets.

Show me where I said that.

You can get called out for acting like a dumbass by people from all sides of a conversation, sir.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

VitalSigns posted:

I've provided data on income quintiles and specific rebuttals to specific claims about specific areas, you've provided nothing but asspulls :shrug:

I didn't pull this out of my rear end, but you sure did ignore it anyway:

TheScott2K posted:

I live in a county in Virginia where property tax on real estate is $1.05 per $100 in assessed value. With my home, household income and two ten year old cars, it's true that I don't pay 10 grand. I get to just under 7k. But let's say instead of living in Hampton Roads, I get laid off from the Shipyard and go get (settle for after months of competing with the other laid off people for local jobs) a bachelor's-in-engineering job in Northern Virginia. So now I live in Fairfax County where I'm paying $1.74 per $100 on real estate. My income has gone up, and housing has eaten all of that increase and more. My square footage has gone down slightly and I have no more backyard, but other than that I've more or less replicated our life in Chesapeake with a $325,000 mortgage instead of $187,000. So now I'm making more money, "own" higher value real estate, but I've cruised past that $10k SALT deduction despite most likely having less money to throw around after paying my bills.

I'm not an evil "HENRY" or whatever for being bothered by that situation.

e: I should also note that "I" am actually a family of three since in America the choice is either have a parent stay home with the infant/toddler or add a second career's worth of stress to the household for a net gain of 10 grand a year in take home (which takes us even further past the SALT deduction after moving to Fairfax).

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 2, 2018

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Republicans have figured out that, if they want a bunch of dirtbag left to support their takes cuts to the rich, just make sure they include hikes for a few upper-middle class people too.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Show me where I said that.

He's probably talking about me, but he's doing a really lovely gimmick and already landed on my ignore list so let him vent or w/e.

Still waiting to find out whose rereg he is.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You know I dislike poor white people who hate minorities much more than any rich 1%er who doesn't. And I don't give a gently caress what that makes you think of me.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheNewt posted:

You know I dislike poor white people who hate minorities much more than any rich 1%er who doesn't. And I don't give a gently caress what that makes you think of me.

Nobody cares.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

TheNewt posted:

That's nice, but big people are talking.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheNewt posted:

A rich 1%er is already doing more harm to minorities by simply existing than most poor racist whites.

E: both are terrible though just so I'm not misunderstood

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

FuturePastNow posted:

I work as a tax preparer in a fairly cheap area but I've had a fair number of clients who could be affected by a $10k cap on the taxes they can deduct. If you think it's just "the rich" then you are out of your mind.

A train engineer making $90k, a pair of married nurses making $110k, an electrical lineman making $135k, all of whom have houses and college-age kids, are not the enemy of America, friends. Actually apart from nurses and management types, a lot of the people I'm thinking of are union labor of some kind.

Maybe everyone should direct their energy into getting the middle class to vote for better candidates instead of getting salty about posters who would sooner chop off one of their fingers with a steak knife than sign on to a GOP tax plan.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Re-reg concern troll from Christmas Eve sets thread on another debate about who's rich and who isn't.

Where's Willo, let's get people talking about nuclear blast radii again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Everyone arguing about who gets hosed the hardest instead of joining forces against those loving you is exactly the problem with this country. Stop being goddamn morons and realize we are all victims of this bullshit system.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Also the minority-hating poor white person, while not innocent, is being used against the minority they hate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna stand here and make excuses for grown-rear end white people who are racist. It's their own responsibility to not be racist and lovely. But they're just useful idiots that the ultra rich can use to march out and vote against their best interests by telling them the blacks/gays/"illegals"/refugees are coming to take their jobs/marriage/guns/country/etc from them. They're awful, yes, but saying they're The Bad Guys ironically makes you MORE of a "piece of poo poo liberal" than most of this thread because you'd rather point at the racist idiot than the guy who keeps manufacturing a reason why he has to "defend" something in the first place.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

If you're a tax preparer then you also know those people are benefiting from federal rate cuts, are you including those cuts when you talk about people who could be "affected" by the SALT deduction? Because someone with $135k is getting a substantial windfall from rate cuts and would have to be paying a lot in state taxes before he'd come out behind overall.

I don't know what "cheap area" you're talking about, but people ITT keep bringing up Ohio which, according to the Washington Post's calculator, it's impossible to come out behind overall for a single earner making $135k

E:
Oh I left the default amounts in there, since you can see on the graph the $135k line gets a tax break all the way up to 40% of income as deductions, but if you put in $135k it tells you the exact windfall that person will get

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 2, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bottom Liner posted:

Everyone arguing about who gets hosed the hardest instead of joining forces against those loving you is exactly the problem with this country. Stop being goddamn morons and realize we are all victims of this bullshit system.

But it's easier to just call everyone the H-word

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A bullet from the back of a bush
Took Medgar Evers' blood
A finger fired the trigger to his name
A handle hid out in the dark
A hand set the spark
Two eyes took the aim
Behind a man's brain
But he can't be blamed
He's only a pawn in their game

A South politician preaches to the poor white man
"You got more than the blacks, don't complain
You're better than them, you been born with white skin, " they explain
And the Negro's name
Is used, it is plain
For the politician's gain
As he rises to fame
And the poor white remains
On the caboose of the train
But it ain't him to blame

The deputy sheriffs, the soldiers, the governors get paid
And the marshals and cops get the same
But the poor white man's used in the hands of them all like a tool
He's taught in his school
From the start by the rule
That the laws are with him
To protect his white skin
To keep up his hate
So he never thinks straight
'Bout the shape that he's in

From the poverty shacks, he looks from the cracks to the tracks
And the hoofbeats pound in his brain
And he's taught how to walk in a pack
Shoot in the back
With his fist in a clinch
To hang and to lynch
To hide 'neath the hood
To kill with no pain
Like a dog on a chain
He ain't got no name

Today, Medgar Evers was buried from the bullet he caught
They lowered him down as a king
But when the shadowy sun sets on the one
That fired the gun
He'll see by his grave
On the stone that remains
Carved next to his name
His epitaph plain
Only a pawn in their game

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A well paying union job, with benefits? to the guillotine with you, Henry!

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
We just need to start taxing unnecessary luxuries like cell phones.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

DrNutt posted:

A rich 1%er is already doing more harm to minorities by simply existing than most poor racist whites.

E: both are terrible though just so I'm not misunderstood

The rich 1%er's are part of the reason minorities are here in the first place.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheNewt posted:

The rich 1%er's are part of the reason minorities are here in the first place.

And they still think the minorities should be thanking them for it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

I didn't pull this out of my rear end, but you sure did ignore it anyway:

e: I should also note that "I" am actually a family of three since in America the choice is either have a parent stay home with the infant/toddler or add a second career's worth of stress to the household for a net gain of 10 grand a year in take home (which takes us even further past the SALT deduction after moving to Fairfax).

I didn't see that, sorry. Lots of people replied.

However I looked up Fairfax County and the median property tax is not anywhere close to $10k, your example is wrong, sorry.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Slugworth posted:

Just a quick note here - This is a batshit insane thing to say. In huge, huge, huge swaths of the country, 500k would get you a mansion. poo poo, within the Chicago suburbs 500k could, in some neighborhoods get you a decent house, and in others, again, a literal mansion. Where the hell are you people living that the housing market is so monolithic that you could make a comment like "500k doesn't get you much"??? I live in a nice suburban area, and my 2000sq house cost 185k.

I promise you, beyond any shadow of a doubt, if you think 500k doesn't get you much, you live a wildly different life than a large chunk of this country. You should travel. Or, gently caress, play around on realtor.com for an evening.

Sadly, the DC/NoVA housing market is a nightmare. $250,000 will get you a shoebox in my neighborhood. A place with a restaurant, or god forbid an actual supermarket, will run you $500,000 with problems. Anyone working class or below has been run into Maryland or hide amongst minorities, dreading the onslaught of white people to double the price of every house.

Yes, I’m shopping, and yes, it blows goats.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

In what year? It’s not the limit anymore.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

And they still think the minorities should be thanking them for it

It doesn't ultimately matter.

The minorities are better in every way, shape, and form, than the majority.

They just need to keep on doing whatever needs to be done to make the minority the majority.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I didn't see that, sorry. Lots of people replied.

However I looked up Fairfax County and the median property tax is not anywhere close to $10k, your example is wrong, sorry.

Oh wait, I just realized that site fills in a default unrealistic home value, I found a better source based on actual property tax filings and property taxes are double that, still not anywhere close to $10k though

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Sadly, the DC/NoVA housing market is a nightmare. $250,000 will get you a shoebox in my neighborhood. A place with a restaurant, or god forbid an actual supermarket, will run you $500,000 with problems. Anyone working class or below has been run into Maryland or hide amongst minorities, dreading the onslaught of white people to double the price of every house.

Yes, I’m shopping, and yes, it blows goats.

Also you have to factor in that anybody willing to pay those ridiculous prices is doing so for their children. I know I would have never bought a house if I didn’t have kids. And guess what? Healthcare for them is about $1000 a month and daycare is $2000 a month. So add that to your mortgage and you’re basically loft with very little when you factor in property taxes, mortgage, income taxes etc...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Imagine if you could only own as many houses and hotels as in the board game Monopoly.

Kale
May 14, 2010

osker posted:

It also reserves it for anyone earning a hair over 100K because that is the hard and fast line where the bourgeois starts.

Feels very french revolution grievances doesn't it?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Grapplejack posted:

A well paying union job, with benefits? to the guillotine with you, Henry!

Are you people that thin-skinned? Shuffling tax deductions around is the guillotine now?

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

VitalSigns posted:

Feel free to show me a city where people making the median income for that city are paying $12k+ in SALT then, so far nobody has been able to do it and every example someone provided fell apart under the mildest of scrutiny.

What people are saying isn't even about income. It is in relation to property taxes. That is the main loving gripe. Mainly, because property values(and taxes) differ from region to region. So the guy making 150k in the bay has to pay like 4k a month in mortgage and has an even higher property tax percentage. Do you not understand the effect that this will have on industries? It doesn't increase revenue and it simply makes states and localities with low taxes even more desirable. You know that a decent amount of those state and property taxes goes towards schools and whatnot. This issue is class warfare and it will probably backfire as more folks move to rural areas and help dems in those regions. It is still stupid however.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Oh wait, I just realized that site fills in a default unrealistic home value, I found a better source based on actual property tax filings and property taxes are double that, still not anywhere close to $10k though

You do realize that state taxes also include income in most places right? It's not just property taxes.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dmitri-9 posted:

Are you people serious? Shuffling tax deductions around is the guillotine now?

The most hilarious post was somebody who was regarding anybody who itemized their taxes with such disdain.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

VitalSigns posted:

Virginia has a state income tax.

Bottom Liner posted:

You do realize that state taxes also include income in most places right? It's not just property taxes.

They do not realize that, which tells you everything you need to know about how seriously to take them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Please stick to board games when explaining the tax deductions.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Or anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

It's a harvest season in Agricola and you get punished harder for having kids

• Locked thread