Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Besesoth posted:

Even perfectly level and straight stretches of road can have different traction levels from tire to tire. I lost control last weekend because of that - snow was coming down so I'd dropped speed (enough that people were passing me), hit a slick patch, and wound up on the side of the road. Sometimes you're just gonna hydroplane and just have to hope for the best. :shrug:

(No injury, no damage to the car, and even the glassware I had in the trunk survived. I got lucky!)

Check your tire treads. Hydroplaning is caused by two things - worn out tires and inappropriate speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"Yeah guys it was a perfectly smooth straight stretch of road and I was definitely going a safe speed (people were passing me, even!) but I lost control because I had no idea of the conditions of the road and it was totally unavoidable and not my fault at all."

Beesoth have you considered that maybe you're the kind of lovely driver everyone is talking about here?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There are moments where I'm genuinely impressed with medical procedures.
How this man kept his feet, let alone is expected to regain use of them, is beyond me.

:nms:https://i.imgur.com/5HRG6O0.jpg:nms:

Because of "Science, Motherfuckers!".

It would be very helpful if the society in large would accept or even understand that most of the scifi-poo poo presented in the 80's is actually viable provided that there would be funding for it to mature. But no, lower taxes and gut the science, research and education to the bare bones and beyond. Lets just hope that some venture capitalist or idle billionaire develops an unhealthy fixation instead.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

What do you think manatees taste like? They're vegetarian so I'm sure they're not as oily and fishy as seal.

Quite a bit like boat propellers from poo poo-rear end Floridians I'd guess

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FogHelmut posted:

Check your tire treads. Hydroplaning is caused by two things - worn out tires and inappropriate speeds.

Also collisions are caused by other vehicles that "come from out of nowhere"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I almost got a ticket when I was a kid (well I got pulled the hell over) because I was driving my Pontiac Phoenix (don't judge) at the same speed everyone else was; 75 in a 55

But the copper noticed my car was a piece of poo poo and my tires were worn down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-34Fdtg1dI

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Also collisions are caused by other vehicles that "come from out of nowhere"

Hydroplaning is highly preventable. I'm not sure if you're directing sarcasm at my comment? Or if the puddles come from out of nowhere?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No, not you, I just hear that phrase all the time from people in general and it's like, what, that other car just zapped in from an alternate dimension? Just to gently caress with you?

Anyone who uses the phrase "from out of nowhere" is really saying "I didn't look"

E: (I replied to yours instead of a more appropriate post out of reflex rather than for any good reason)

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Jan 2, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

No, not you, I just hear that phrase all the time from people in general and it's like, what, that other car just zapped in from an alternate dimension? Just to gently caress with you?

It's more likely than you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yACe78sYZ3A

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uh

hmm

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's America.

50% of its inhabitants think "What Do you mean winter tyres? Those with the spikes? Pretty sure those are illegal on roads, and what do you expect me to do, change my tyres every time it snows? lol"

The other 50% think: "lol my tyres say all-season, that includes winter, loving duh"

In a Venn diagram, you could include another group comprised by equal parts of both those halves, that think "lol I have a truck and 4WD, winter tyres are for commies"

Then, 100% of the inhabitants drive too fast for the conditions and then refuse all personal responsibility when poo poo happens.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oh look a picture of half the population of Calgary on the first snowfall of the season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trucks are horrible in the winter. Have to toss a bunch of salt bags in the back to keep the weight even and even with 4wd are a pain in the rear end to keep on the road. A truck's natural place is in a snow bank and it takes all the driving skills in the world to try and fight it from finding it's way home.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This is one of my favorite pics ever because it's such a perfect example of testosterone-driven machismo getting its head bashed in. I'm guessing this dude's truck most likely wasn't 4WD either.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

FogHelmut posted:

Never driven in the northern parts of the country have you? Hit some ice with a bit of snow on top and even with great tires and slow speeds you can lose control.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This is one of my favorite pics ever because it's such a perfect example of testosterone-driven machismo getting its head bashed in. I'm guessing this dude's truck most likely wasn't 4WD either.

I don't think you can buy a half-ton that doesn't have 4WD anymore.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

seaborgium posted:

Never driven in the northern parts of the country have you? Hit some ice with a bit of snow on top and even with great tires and slow speeds you can lose control.

I spent 15 years driving around NJ, PA, and the rest of the northeast.

Hydroplaning is when you hit a puddle and your tire skis across the top of the water.

You'll lose control when there are disparate traction conditions between your tires, but not necessarily if you are maintaining speed and going straight. You need some force, like turning, accelerating, or braking, acting on your tires to make a point of that difference in traction.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
One of my favorite things about these threads is that any time we start talking about bad driving habits a few people will out themselves as gifs waiting to happen by defending inane poo poo. Actually guys, driving with no mirrors is totally fine and they've never had an accident because of it except for that one time that was really the other driver's fault for passing on the right.

My mother-in-law drives with one of her side mirrors permanently tucked in because it makes it easier for her to get into her garage and she apparently doesn't use them anyways :cripes:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

FogHelmut posted:

Hydroplaning is when you hit a puddle and your tire skis across the top of the water.

You'll lose control when there are disparate traction conditions between your tires, but not necessarily if you are maintaining speed and going straight. You need some force, like turning, accelerating, or braking, acting on your tires to make a point of that difference in traction.

And you have to do something fairly abrupt, like jam on the brakes. Yesterday I was pretty happy to have stretches of road where there was a groove of dry pavement to put two tires on instead of just ice everywhere.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The only time I've ever hydroplaned is when I was taking a small corner faster than I should've in deeper rain than I thought it was with fairly worn tires. It was an incredibly distinct feeling from slipping on ice, which my car has also done, and was entirely my own fault. Driving highway speeds under poor conditions is always a bad idea, and it's fundamentally changed how I drive in the rain and snow, even though I have a new car now.

e: I slid far enough that I was in the opposing lane, but nobody was there and I was incredibly lucky for that.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Saint Freak posted:

There's a reality show called Canada's Worst Driver (some of it is on US Netflix) where they put people through very simple driving challenges like 'drive in a straight line and don't hit anything' or 'drive in reverse'. One of the challenges is a car with no roof and a giant tub of water on top and all they need to do is accelerate slowly and then break evenly so the water stays in the tank.

Every single person floors it and immediately dumps half the water into the car, and then slams on the breaks as soon as they hit the requested speed and dumps the other half in the car, and then bitches that it is impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB_CtVQUY80

The problem with this, is that clearly they are all hamming it up to make 'good television'. The problem with that is that hordes of people think they're looking at real people and situations, and then drawing conclusions about the world and their fellows, and it's all a complete fantasy.

I met a wonderful gallery owner once, an incredibly charming and earnest British man who was lost in the early days of the aids epidemic. We were discussing books one day and he scornfully said to me 'I don't read fiction'. I was floored, but in the years since his passing I have come to realize the wisdom of his position.

'Reality' television is the very worst kind of fiction.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Trucks are horrible in the winter. Have to toss a bunch of salt bags in the back

My truck's back end went around at less than 10mph, when making a left turn in the normal oil-water mix that results from the first few rains. I put some sand bags in the back after that.

The first rains road conditions surprise a lot of 'I can drive in the snow' out-of-staters.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Larch posted:

I met a wonderful gallery owner once, an incredibly charming and earnest British man who was lost in the early days of the aids epidemic. We were discussing books one day and he scornfully said to me 'I don't read fiction'. I was floored, but in the years since his passing I have come to realize the wisdom of his position.

but art is fiction

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Larch posted:

The Joe Schmo Show was pretty good, I think. At least the first one.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I ride a bicycle and rarely have trouble with traction in inclement weather, therefore bikes are clearly the superior method of transportation.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

it's less 'inappropriate speed' and more 'rapid changes in momentum/vector'. tires stop feeding water/ice backwards as efficiently when they're braking/pointed sideways, and this contributes to the chance your wheels will pretend they're skis

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV9jmuhFWTA

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jan 2, 2018

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Larch posted:

The problem with this, is that clearly they are all hamming it up to make 'good television'. The problem with that is that hordes of people think they're looking at real people and situations, and then drawing conclusions about the world and their fellows, and it's all a complete fantasy.

This is kinda funny because there's a local version of this format, and before the first season aired, the host mentioned that he always assumed it was fake or exaggerated since obviously nobody is that bad at driving as the people in the UK version or Swedish version or whatever. But then he had to deal with the people picked for the first season and realized that nope, they really are that lovely. Obviously things are different in different countries, but it appears at least here we genuinely have people that are unambiguously terrible at driving, and yet somehow got a license even with the relatively stringent requirements they have here in the promised land of rally drivers :finland:

(all the internet memes are wrong btw and most drivers are not actually very good even in here, but then most aren't complete disasters either)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

food court bailiff posted:

"Yeah guys it was a perfectly smooth straight stretch of road and I was definitely going a safe speed (people were passing me, even!) but I lost control because I had no idea of the conditions of the road and it was totally unavoidable and not my fault at all."

Beesoth have you considered that maybe you're the kind of lovely driver everyone is talking about here?

What's more likely:

* I'm lying so that I can gainsay random strangers on a dead gay internet comedy forum
* You maybe don't know as much about the subject as you think you do

FogHelmut posted:

New Jersey and Pennsylvania aren't "the northern parts of the country", my dude.

"No, cars are perfect and infallible and roads are perfect and infallible and weather is perfect and infallible and the driver is always to blame when something goes wrong" is a really, really dumb hill to die on.

e: also:

FogHelmut posted:

Check your tire treads.

Yes, they passed inspection a few weeks ago (when I bought the car) but the mechanic I took it to after the accident told me I needed new tires before the end of winter, so I'm looking into options. (I have brand-new tires on a car whose clutch failed so I want to see if they'll fit the new car.) I definitely cop to that and should have mentioned it.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Jan 2, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

To be fair you're more likely to die after cresting the hill

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Ruflux posted:

This is kinda funny because there's a local version of this format, and before the first season aired, the host mentioned that he always assumed it was fake or exaggerated since obviously nobody is that bad at driving as the people in the UK version or Swedish version or whatever. But then he had to deal with the people picked for the first season and realized that nope, they really are that lovely. Obviously things are different in different countries, but it appears at least here we genuinely have people that are unambiguously terrible at driving, and yet somehow got a license even with the relatively stringent requirements they have here in the promised land of rally drivers :finland:

(all the internet memes are wrong btw and most drivers are not actually very good even in here, but then most aren't complete disasters either)

Even here, where we literally have snow half the year people suck at it.
Morning after the first snow that sticks, there's a car in the ditch every 5 or so miles because people are loving stupid and think they can skip putting on winter tires "for just one day".

Here's the #1 tip for driving on snow/ice: never brake or accelerate while taking a turn.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Besesoth posted:

What's more likely:

* I'm an insufferable prat
* Nobody cares

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Happy New Year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLrT8FsqYh8

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Besesoth posted:

New Jersey and Pennsylvania aren't "the northern parts of the country", my dude.

Cold puddles of water occur only above the 42nd parallel.

quote:

"No, cars are perfect and infallible and roads are perfect and infallible and weather is perfect and infallible and the driver is always to blame when something goes wrong" is a really, really dumb hill to die on.

No, the hill I am dying on is you used "hydroplaning" to describe a different phenomenon.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not being the fastest driver on the road does not mean that your speed was appropriate for the conditions.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Besesoth posted:

What's more likely:

* I'm lying so that I can gainsay random strangers on a dead gay internet comedy forum
* You maybe don't know as much about the subject as you think you do

My dude I lived most of my life in northern Wisconsin and have never lost control in the winter, who the gently caress are you? Oh yeah, the guy openly bragging about being a lovely driver but claiming it was totally unavoidable.

e: It seems to have slipped by you that I don't think you're lying, I think you're really bad at driving and don't realize it because you're dumb.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If my plane is taking off from an icy treadmill, and the pilot accelerates using 99.999...% thrust, do I top him?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If my plane is taking off from an icy treadmill, and the pilot accelerates using 99.999...% thrust, do I top him?

is the treadmill on a curve?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Only if you punch a disabled guy in a McDonald's for calling a McPizza a sandwich.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Oh, I thought hydroplaning was something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Yes, unless he has a gun.