Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

The problem is, donald trump got elected when most of the Iran deals benefits would take place. And also, the American deep state will never allow the fulfillment of those deals because they list for Iran’s blood, now with trump in the White House apparently America’s commitment to treaties it signs is now dubious.

well, "now." we're not exactly known worldwide as a good faith actor to begin with, it's just thrown into significantly sharper relief by poo poo like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Al-Saqr posted:

Can’t wait to see what happens in Afghanistan if this guy gets his way:-

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/947802588174577664

He's... Not wrong?

Like ignoring the money bit that's a 100% accurate statement

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

He's... Not wrong?

Like ignoring the money bit that's a 100% accurate statement

Nah. They do provide meaningful support sometimes, mixed in with the lies and sandbagging. They aren't willing to help enough to get the job done, and do engage in harmful activities (theoretically it's rogue agencies, but no agency is rogue enough to do this poo poo for almost two decades), but it's still arguably the case that things would be even worse without any pretense of them being on board. Trump's already picking one fight with a nuclear state, so picking right now to essentially call another a state sponsor of terrorism seems like bad timing at best.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 2, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sinteres posted:

Nah. They do provide meaningful support sometimes, mixed in with the lies and sandbagging. They aren't willing to help enough to get the job done, and do engage in harmful activities (theoretically it's rogue agencies, but no agency is rogue enough to do this poo poo for almost two decades), but it's still arguably the case that things would be even worse without any pretense of them being on board. Trump's already picking one fight with a nuclear state, so picking right now to essentially call another a state sponsor of terrorism seems like bad timing at best.

Oh 100%. I should have clarified that Trump, like always, is making things significantly worse and pissing off the second most unstable nuclear state in the world.

Pakistan, of course, still provides us with support that we could ill do without; they're an essential partner for the US for the Afghanistan war.

But it's undeniably true that they regularly lie to us and provide support to the Afghani Taliban. I doubt I need to even mention Bin Laden either.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh 100%. I should have clarified that Trump, like always, is making things significantly worse and pissing off the second most unstable nuclear state in the world.

Pakistan, of course, still provides us with support that we could ill do without; they're an essential partner for the US for the Afghanistan war.

But it's undeniably true that they regularly lie to us and provide support to the Afghani Taliban. I doubt I need to even mention Bin Laden either.

Trump never does a single thing on the international stage who's goal is not "throw red meat to my base." Dumping on Pakistan, antagonizing Iran, writing blank checks to Saudi Arabia, moving the embassy to Jerusalem, saber rattling with North Korea, the Paris Accord, making threats to the UN and then framing already-negotiated contribution reductions as backing those threats up, trying to throw NAFTA in the trash, constantly slap-slap-kissing with China, it's all about absolutely nothing but making his zombies froth at the mouth by 1) appearing to be a bullying strongman or 2) creating some appearance of undoing something Obama did, even in cases where he's literally changing nothing from what Obama did. He doesn't care about any actual consequences to anything he says or does. He might not even believe such consequences exist.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Taliban is essential to the military regime of Pakistan domestically as well. Remember who they used to kill Benazir Butto?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sanguinia posted:

He doesn't care about any actual consequences to anything he says or does. He might not even believe such consequences exist.

He probably doesn’t care. Some people are so thoroughly self obsessed, literally nothing outside their immediate horizon matters.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This was less than three months ago, and shows yet again why conducting top level diplomacy via twitter is insane. He has no understanding at all of the position he's in, and the long term damage he's doing to American credibility.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/919003314674634752

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
very interesting and informative thread on Iran protests:

https://twitter.com/alihashem_tv/status/947974851129683969

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mediadave posted:

very interesting and informative thread on Iran protests:

https://twitter.com/alihashem_tv/status/947974851129683969

Is it true that Rouhani is being considered for Supreme Leader?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Al-Saqr posted:

The problem is, donald trump got elected when most of the Iran deals benefits would take place. And also, the American deep state will never allow the fulfillment of those deals because they list for Iran’s blood, now with trump in the White House apparently America’s commitment to treaties it signs is now dubious.

1) The independence and influence of the American "deep state" may be a bit weaker than those you are personally familiar with.

2) Lust for Iranian blood as such is more of a thing for the shallow state, quite frankly.

3) The US has always been a somewhat iffy negotiating partner due to being a two-party democracy, this does admittedly go quadruple regarding Iran and North Korea. Trump is just unusually bad.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

Is it true that Rouhani is being considered for Supreme Leader?

Ridiculous imo. Haven't seen anyone else suggesting such a thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The reformist president before Ahmadinejad.

https://twitter.com/SGhasseminejad/status/948218091078430720

Tone of the tweet might be hyped up a bit, but reformists definitely aren't coming out in favor of the protesters. Rouhani's statement had similar themes.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 2, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
word is a good portion of the protesters were ahmadinejads base during the election and his presidency, but it's nothing i can confirm one way or the other.

e: which kind of makes sense, they've clearly not done well under rouhanis economic policies, what with unemployment still rising, too

spaceships fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 2, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Definitely, but it doesn't account for all of them. In general this seems to be coming from the heartland of rural Iran where Ahmadinejad was polling highly before he was DQ'd from the election, but there are cities where he doesn't have support wrapped up in this as well. Ahmadinejad has been using particularly aggressive rhetoric lately, which might've played a role in inspiring people to rise up. I'd bet making concessions to the reformists isn't going to satisfy these people.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/948214827402629121

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/01/pakistan-war-words-donald-trump-tweet-180102055709366.html

quote:

In response, Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, Pakistan's prime minister, called a meeting of the National Security Committee (NSC), comprising the army chief, naval and air heads, intelligence chiefs and other ministers, on Tuesday to discuss the future course of action.

Following the meeting, the NSC expressed its "deep disappointment" over Trump's comments.

It said in a statement that recent remarks by the US leadership "were completely incomprehensible as they contradicted facts manifestly, struck with great insensitivity at the trust between two nations built over generations, and negated the decades of sacrifices made by the Pakistani nation".

quote:

The NRC's response came after Khawaja Asif, Pakistan's foreign minister, said Trump was trying to blame Pakistan for the US' failure to win the war in Afghanistan.

"Trump is disappointed at the US defeat in Afghanistan and that is the only reason he is flinging accusations at Pakistan," Asif told the Pakistani TV network Geo on Monday.

"We have already told the US that we will not do more, so Trump's 'no more' does not hold any importance."

He said "Pakistan is ready to publicly provide every detail of the US aid that it has received."

Separately, Khurram Dastagir, Pakistan's defence minister, pledged to defend his country's sovereignty.

Pakistan's foreign office summoned the US ambassador in Islamabad on Monday and lodged its protest against Trump's tweet.

Pakistan is pissed.

Also lol at being a US ambassador and having to explain/apologize for tweets from the president.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 2, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If there's anyone who understands the downside of creating protest martyrs, it should be the leaders of Iran. I expect there will be a successful crackdown, and protesters will die, but that they'll take more efforts to avoid mass death than some of the worst case scenarios people are expecting--this isn't Syria, where the government can paint the opposition as posing a genocidal threat to a core constituency if they come to power. IRGC on the ground may see things differently though, who knows.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

1) The independence and influence of the American "deep state" may be a bit weaker than those you are personally familiar with.

2) Lust for Iranian blood as such is more of a thing for the shallow state, quite frankly.

Yeah, I'd say it's more of a neocon thing. The sorts of people who are now the :airquote: serious people :airquote: in the Trump administration (i.e. Mattis).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It seems different people are protesting different things, even if "the economy isn't good" is a shared sentiment.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

Pakistan is pissed.

Also lol at being a US ambassador and having to explain/apologize for tweets from the president.

And the ambassador probably has to wing this whole thing from start finish because the Trump administration has made sure that his chain of command and support structures are either absent or crippled. He should have had a year of practice though, so maybe he'll manage.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know, I definitely see the hardliners shoring up the reformists in their ranks. They're trying to paint the protests in a negative light, by undermining the scale of the protests, and trying to situate the protests within the regimes internal dialogue when the protests very clearly went "death to rouhani, death to khamenei," right out of the gate. There's also a lot going around with the intent of scaring reformists away from the protesters. I think they might get the reformists on board for a crackdown, perhaps even your generic reformist supporter living in Tehran. That said, the regime is obviously not going to attempt a crackdown unless it becomes completely clear they can't co-opt the protests, and the protests aren't stopping. Unless both of those things become true then this isn't going to necessitate a real response.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Sinteres posted:

If there's anyone who understands the downside of creating protest martyrs, it should be the leaders of Iran. I expect there will be a successful crackdown, and protesters will die, but that they'll take more efforts to avoid mass death than some of the worst case scenarios people are expecting--this isn't Syria, where the government can paint the opposition as posing a genocidal threat to a core constituency if they come to power. IRGC on the ground may see things differently though, who knows.

A common trope of the Syrian civil war is Iranian IRGC officers (allegedly) being shocked and disappointed at the stupid thuggishness of the Syrian regime forces. We'll see how they operate in their own country though, if it ever comes to that (I doubt it will).

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Volkerball posted:

The reformist president before Ahmadinejad.

https://twitter.com/SGhasseminejad/status/948218091078430720

Tone of the tweet might be hyped up a bit, but reformists definitely aren't coming out in favor of the protesters. Rouhani's statement had similar themes.
Please stop passing off neo-conservative propagandists financed by Iran's arch-rivals as credible news sources. The people struggling against hardliners in their regime don't deserve to be pawns in Saudi Arabia and Israel's multi-million dollar bullshit campaign. There's enough confusion about events on the ground as it is, so let's avoid the astroturf, shall we?

If Khatami did say that, give us a credible source.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 2, 2018

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cool that the generic Iran map only has pipelines on it, not even cities.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cugel the Clever posted:

Please stop passing off neo-conservative propagandists financed by Iran's arch-rivals as credible news sources. The people struggling against hardliners in their regime don't deserve to be pawns in Saudi Arabia and Israel's multi-million dollar bullshit campaign. There's enough confusion about events on the ground as it is, so let's avoid the astroturf, shall we?

If Khatami did say that, give us a source that doesn't also rave about Saudi Arabia's brave new vision for a tolerant future.

Ghasseminejad and Amir Toumaj have solid records long before this. Dubowitz, Ceren, and Doran are the ones out spreading the FDD/MEK line. If you expect fully non-partisan translations of Farsi news, good luck. Only other people reporting it is the Zarif crew.

https://twitter.com/thekarami/status/948250912413253632

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
just got off the phone with my pops in iran, he's rather hopeful about all of this going forward. he believes the current and older generations of mullahs are a lost cause but he sees a new, younger generation that are more than willing to engage with reforms and more secular rule of law. regardless of how westerners understand secularism, iran is still a religious country, and even those who call for secular reforms are proud shi'ites.

he's making a distinction between protesters calling for economic reforms and are unhappy with rouhani and the government, who have been largely peaceful through this whole thing, and the protesters who are breaking poo poo, most of whom, he assumes, are the same people who were violent during-before-and after ahmadinejads reign, there are some red threads there, he says. he also talked about outside provocateurs, but i'm not sure how i'm gonna weigh that just yet.

unless the IRGC gets involved, he's optimistic. if they do get involved, he's pretty sure it'll end in a bloodbath

e: i asked him if he was out throwing bricks too and he said "no, the revolutionary guard beat the poo poo out of me in '79 and i'm too old for such a beating now."

spaceships fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 2, 2018

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

spaceships posted:

just got off the phone with my pops in iran, he's rather hopeful about all of this going forward. he believes the current and older generations of mullahs are a lost cause but he sees a new, younger generation that are more than willing to engage with reforms and more secular rule of law. regardless of how westerners understand secularism, iran is still a religious country, and even those who call for secular reforms are proud shi'ites.

he's making a distinction between protesters calling for economic reforms and are unhappy with rouhani and the government, who have been largely peaceful through this whole thing, and the protesters who are breaking poo poo, most of whom, he assumes, are the same people who were violent during-before-and after ahmadinejads reign, there are some red threads there, he says. he also talked about outside provocateurs, but i'm not sure how i'm gonna weigh that just yet.

unless the IRGC gets involved, he's optimistic. if they do get involved, he's pretty sure it'll end in a bloodbath

e: i asked him if he was out throwing bricks too and he said "no, the revolutionary guard beat the poo poo out of me in '79 and i'm too old for such a beating now."

Your dad sounds like a grade A jerk.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

TildeATH posted:

???

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TildeATH posted:

Anarchist grade cool? idgi

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

It probably should be mentioned that according to at least wikipedia (but I have seen the information elsewhere), most of the deaths at this far (15-16) have been clashes at police stations with security covers. Of course, that could be a cover story, but in that case, no one really knows what is happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_Iranian_protests

A crackdown is very much still obviously possible

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 2, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

spaceships posted:

People like your father give me hope for our future.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I thought I read the IRGC had already been brought out?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Count Roland posted:

https://www.rferl.org/a/iran-demonstrations-deaths-fifth-day/28949535.html

According to the Radio Free Europe, the IRGC has been restrained, but these has been at least one clash between protestors and the Basij (where a member got his pants stolen).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 2, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Count Roland posted:

not in any significant capacity. if they were, you'd have more than the two dozen or so reported deaths.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This is going to be a shitshow.

https://twitter.com/DefenseBaron/status/948279974288678919

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Aren't the saudis really not going to like this?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for that post, spaceships, it was interesting.

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/948282906295881729

He seems confident.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I went for loving coffee and now we're threatening Pakistan.

2018 shaping up nicely so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Bip Roberts posted:

Aren't the saudis really not going to like this?

Maybe not, but Pakistan has increasingly been pulling into China's orbit (more than it did).