Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

corn in the bible posted:

The reason it makes no sense is it was a last minute addition to the script when they realized Neelix had no reason to go to Earth

Hell, the only reason for him to stay where they dropped him off was because the writers put in a ridiculously remote settlement of Talaxians, by the time he left Voyager he was already far enough away from where he used to live that any place he got off at would be just as alien and different as Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

There's an exchange between Nog and O'brien in the episode where Vic helps Nog get over his leg injury:

"Vic's matrix is a little different than your standard photokinetic hologram. He can turn himself off and if he doesn't want to appear he doesn't appear."
"You mean he has free will?"
"I'm an engineer, not a philosopher!"

They pretty much drop it at that, though. During that episode Nog leaves him turned on for like a week or something and he says he prefers it, it's like living a real life. I think Nog eventually arranges it so he can stay on permanently.

They definitely planted the seeds for something, but they never followed up on it. Honestly my beef with Vic is when someone comes in and says "I'm sad. Play that song I like" and Vic literally sings like the whole three minute song.

That happened like one time outside of His Way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VitalSigns posted:

Lol even Janeway is unimpressed by Voyager's anticlimactic return home. She sees Earth and is just like "huh that's it" and the show agrees roll credits.

Half of that episode was shot after everyone else had left the set. They wrote it so that only Kate Mulgrew and a couple extras would have to be on set. Just what you want for your big series finale!

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

Also wtf is an ambassador to the Delta Quadrant. How is Neelix supposed to be an ambassador to a region of space that takes half a century to cross, and how is he supposed to do that from some crap asteroid with a population of like 12 people and oh yeah which is completely cut off from everyone behind a shield and under siege by a hostile race that wants to mine it for minerals. Is this a serious post or did Janeway just finally figure out how to get rid of him without it being awkward.

I guess it's like when you give a the dumb useless kid an important-sounding title to make him feel special, like "line leader" or "president of the United States".

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
Lol that pairs extra nice with the Stupid Newbie avatar

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Bloop posted:

I hated this at first but now I like it because I like Vic.

Too bad his set looks like hot rear end

Vic Fontaine, performing at the Pheasant Run, St. Charles, IL.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
TNG Season 5 finale was pretty good. It’s a shame the second half of it from the season 6 premiere is such poo poo

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Windows 98 posted:

TNG Season 5 finale was pretty good. It’s a shame the second half of it from the season 6 premiere is such poo poo

Hmm. Hmm hmm. Ha. *lip smack* HOO! Ha.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Shame on you, Mr. Clemens!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Voyager finale is so loving weird. So many retcons and so much stuff just dumped out there with no explanation.

Tuvok's been hiding a brain disease from the captain for years? And the Doctor knows? That sounds really bad, oh Janeway's timetravel fixing it, I guess I don't have to worry about it :effort:
That could have been some great drama and story throughout the whole season if we slowly found out and had no idea what was going to happen to him.

Seven can't have romantic relationships because of her Borg implants (even though she had them in Unimatrix One, and Voyager has a virus that frees drones from Brog mind control), but oh suddenly there's a cure. And we're dropped in on her third date I guess she and Chakotay are together now, too bad we'll never know how that started.

Hey didn't they leave the Borg Queen like two years ago and then jump ahead 10 years, but here she is again, is she following them? Or does she always hang out at that hub and just happened to be visiting the space where Voyager was last time they met? Or does every hub have its own queen, is this a different queen since Alice Krige is back?

Wait didn't the Borg Queen have some complicated evil plan to use Seven to conquer earth, and she deliberately let Seven be captured by Voyager (even though that was unexpected happenstance and the queen had no way of knowing, saaaay, that when Voyager blew the Borg visitors into space, Seven would be the one to hold on and live), but now she just like doesn't care anymore what happens to Voyager? Why?

Voyager has been nothing but the biggest problem to the Borg for the past 4 years, if she doesn't care whether they get back to the Alpha Quadrant, why not just lock on a tractor beam and drag Janeway's rear end through the transwarp conduit to get rid of her forever? Wait, they have a conduit right to earth, why did she need Seven at all, why not just send 50 cubes to conquer earth right now.

How did Voyager get in the Borg sphere at the end?

And this is a minor point, but is Harry of all people really the one to give self-righteous speeches about the sanctity of the temporal Prime Directive?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Thanks for reminding me X-Files Season 11 starts tomorrow!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yessss.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

First voice I read this in was someone doing a bad Al Pacino impression.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VitalSigns posted:

The Voyager finale is so loving weird. So many retcons and so much stuff just dumped out there with no explanation.

Tuvok's been hiding a brain disease from the captain for years? And the Doctor knows? That sounds really bad, oh Janeway's timetravel fixing it, I guess I don't have to worry about it :effort:
That could have been some great drama and story throughout the whole season if we slowly found out and had no idea what was going to happen to him.

Seven can't have romantic relationships because of her Borg implants (even though she had them in Unimatrix One, and Voyager has a virus that frees drones from Brog mind control), but oh suddenly there's a cure. And we're dropped in on her third date I guess she and Chakotay are together now, too bad we'll never know how that started.

Hey didn't they leave the Borg Queen like two years ago and then jump ahead 10 years, but here she is again, is she following them? Or does she always hang out at that hub and just happened to be visiting the space where Voyager was last time they met? Or does every hub have its own queen, is this a different queen since Alice Krige is back?

Wait didn't the Borg Queen have some complicated evil plan to use Seven to conquer earth, and she deliberately let Seven be captured by Voyager (even though that was unexpected happenstance and the queen had no way of knowing, saaaay, that when Voyager blew the Borg visitors into space, Seven would be the one to hold on and live), but now she just like doesn't care anymore what happens to Voyager? Why?

Voyager has been nothing but the biggest problem to the Borg for the past 4 years, if she doesn't care whether they get back to the Alpha Quadrant, why not just lock on a tractor beam and drag Janeway's rear end through the transwarp conduit to get rid of her forever? Wait, they have a conduit right to earth, why did she need Seven at all, why not just send 50 cubes to conquer earth right now.

How did Voyager get in the Borg sphere at the end?

And this is a minor point, but is Harry of all people really the one to give self-righteous speeches about the sanctity of the temporal Prime Directive?

I can't answer any of that except that, iirc, it is meant to always be the same queen. They just couldn't always afford Alice Krige

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I believe the explanation for the Borg queen being everywhere is that the Borg can build her wherever and whenever they need to.

I didn't say it was a good explanation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We saw in First Contact that the Borg Queen really gets around, if you know what I mean and I think you do

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

I believe the explanation for the Borg queen being everywhere is that the Borg can build her wherever and whenever they need to.

It's a perfectly good explanation that fits all the evidence.

I tend to think each cube is a collective and The Borg is a collective of those collectives which is the level of the queen, so her seeming to order around a particular done makes some sense because that drone is more like a cell to her than like an arm, she doesn't have direct interface to any drones beside she's a full level removed from them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I hate having to verbally order around every cell in my body anytime I want to do something, real time suck

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just stand in the middle of the sidewalk screaming at the top of my lungs to keep my circulatory system moving

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

I hate having to verbally order around every cell in my body anytime I want to do something, real time suck

Well, she doesn't have to. She usually wouldn't be conscious of drones at all unless she's embodied to talk to Picard or Janeway or gently caress Data. And I'll admit there's probably a better analogy with CEOs or Generals or something but the Borg are/is alien so none will be perfect.

There are real reasons to consider an ant or termite colony as a separate organism from it's constituent members. She's like a Gaia theory super colony organism to whom an individual insect is nearly an abstract concept.

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 3, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Well, she doesn't have to. She usually wouldn't be conscious of drones at all unless she's embodied to talk to Picard or Janeway or gently caress Data.

Idk I just watched endgame and she was hanging out watching TV in that Nebula, and then had to call up a Borg ship and tell them not to assimilate Voyager for...reasons. So it seems like she's just kinda there all the time.

Speaking of assimilation, hey wtf, we saw the Borg adapt to the batmobile armor and the future torpedoes, did future Janeway accidentally teach the Borgs about future technology? Is earth hosed now?

And where was that timecop ship while she was altering history, why didn't they stop her.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Goons think in such three-dimensional terms.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

VitalSigns posted:

And where was that timecop ship while she was altering history, why didn't they stop her.

Perhaps from their perspective, this was how it always happened. A pre-destination paradox!

That or you stumbled on why Brannon Braga's undying fascination with time travel is so goddamn, endlessly annoying.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It should have been a twist ending where Voyager ended up at one of the parallel-development earths and didn't figure it out until Janeway gets home to her cat, or Harry Kim's parents don't remember him, or there's another Harry Kim on earth who never left and became a famous clarinet pop star, or someone mentions offhand that the Roman Empire is still around or something like that.

Then boom, shocked expression, roll credits.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The door didn't squeak when opened! The Golden Gate Bridge was painted blue! The wrong Professor Arturo jumped into the vortex!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Time travel used sparingly is okay. But later Star Trek(especially Voyager and Enterprise) used it way way too much and it was poo poo.
I'm pretty sure every DS9 time travel episode was either a joke episode or a heavy handed lesson episode. (I can only think of 3, which isn't bad at all)

Edit: There were 11! Except 2 of them were two parters, and all were good episodes(except the Molly episode which was bad).

Edit2: Wow, there were less Voyager time travel episodes than I thought. I guess I just remembered that terrible time travel literal reset button 2 parter.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 3, 2018

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I wasn't a fan of the DS9 ep with Kira's mother either. I mean, the episode itself was alright, but when you're at the point where you're time traveling on a whim just because your nemesis rang you to say he banged your mom, it really makes time travel far too easy to achieve.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Peachfart posted:

Edit2: Wow, there were less Voyager time travel episodes than I thought. I guess I just remembered that terrible time travel literal reset button 2 parter.

That was weird in light of the finale, since the lesson we learned from Eric Foreman's dad was time travel is too risky, even with an infinite lifespan in a timeless bubble and the leisure to calculate every variable down to the last dust particle you still can never predict with certainty what's going to happen when you play God. And then Admiral Janeway's just like "gently caress it I do what I want I'm sure it will all work out fine".

Although I guess no one remembered Year of Hell or learned any lessons from it, so there is a weird bit of consistency there.

Speaking of time travel in the finale, some Klingon fleet commander has a literal time machine and the only thing he can think to use it for is sell it for a shield generator? :psyduck:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I suppose it depends on if you count the orb episodes as time travel. I want to say it was generally shown that even if you actually change the past when doing the orb thing you aren't actually changing the past.

There's also that episode where they go back to occupation era with Odo but that was only in Odo's head.

Sound of her Voice involved a degree of time travel but it wasn't really the focus, more just a final twist.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
I never watched the end of Voyager (yay me), but a Klingon had a time machine?

Isn't it common knowledge and relatively easy to time travel in Trek world? It's been a long time since I saw it, but didn't the movie with the whales have McCoy casually drop "sure, you slingshot round the sun" like it's something taught in school?

In fact, didn't they literally travel back to a specific point in time in a beat-to-poo poo bird of prey?

Of all Voyagers faults, why is THIS bothering me?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

McCoy knew about it because he was serving on Kirk's Enterprise when they accidentally discovered the slingshot around the sun trick.

I think the usual explanation is the Federation classified that immediately to protect the timestream and nobody else ever figured it out I guess, because basically Star Trek doesn't work otherwise since nothing would prevent bad guys from loving with time whenever they like.

Also explains why Eye of the Needle wasn't the last episode of Voyager because if Janeway had known about it they could have just slingshotted back to a time when the wormhole was big enough for Voyager and then slingshotted back to the present on the other side.

There's no explanation for why the Klingon captain has a time machine in Endgame, he just has it and shut up. It was sort of implied that maybe he didn't know how to work it because you had to hit it with tachyons or something to activate it, but idk Harry instantly knew what to do as soon as he saw it so it was obviously not some kind of secret.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Pretty much every time travel episode pretends that episode's method of time travel is the only one that exists. So the Defiant doesn't slingshot around the sun in "Past Tense", Darvin needs the Orb of Time rather than just stopping by the Guardian of Forever in "Trials and Tribbleations", and the 26th century time-pod in "A Matter of Time" is meant to be impressive even though the original Enterprise was doing historical research in the past a century earlier in "Assignment: Earth".

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Whenever someone travels through time in Star Trek, it creates a new reality where that method somehow stops working, and that's why we've seen such a stupid number of different ways to gently caress with time travel. The first time it happened in TOS was like two dozen realities ago. :science:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I think the usual explanation is the Federation classified that immediately to protect the timestream and nobody else ever figured it out I guess, because basically Star Trek doesn't work otherwise since nothing would prevent bad guys from loving with time whenever they like.

Ron Moore said in an interview that that was what they always assumed in the writers room; that it's publically known that the Enterprise discovered Time Travel, but the actual specifics were highly classified and only a few very trusted people in Temporal Investigations have the method and precise calculations needed to pull it off.

Presumably the same people also have the formulas to use a warp core cold start to warp back in time from The Naked Now and how to beam through time via beaming through trapped chronitons from Past Tense and recreating a Borg time vortex with warp engines from First Contact and how to jump through time with a nuke and kemocite from Little Green Men and

There's probably an Indiana Jones werehouse somewhere. Walk down the wrong row and just hear a muffled I AM THE GUARDIAN OF FOREVER from an unmarked box.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 3, 2018

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MikeJF posted:

There's probably an Indiana Jones werehouse somewhere. Walk down the wrong row and just hear a muffled I AM THE GUARDIAN OF FOREVER from an unmarked box.

There's a mission in Star Trek Online that's basically that - time travelers are trying to raid one of Starfleet's secret vaults, and while you're stopping them you can access a console and get a list of some of the one-off mcguffins that have been sealed away, like Red Matter, the Genesis Device, the Ferengi Thought Maker, various TOS androids, and an escape pod from the mirror universe that had mirror-Porthos onboard. :3:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Angry Salami posted:

I wasn't a fan of the DS9 ep with Kira's mother either. I mean, the episode itself was alright, but when you're at the point where you're time traveling on a whim just because your nemesis rang you to say he banged your mom, it really makes time travel far too easy to achieve.

Blame the Prophets, with their 'lol linearity' attitude, and blame Sisko for using his connections (with Kira using her own connections with him to guilt him into going along with it) to get his hands on the orb.

I blame the orb! Curse you, orb(s)!

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

McCoy knew about it because he was serving on Kirk's Enterprise when they accidentally discovered the slingshot around the sun trick.

That's a good point. Quite frankly, serving on any Enterprise usually means "you've seen crazy stuff that 99.999999% of the galaxy will never know exists"

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dog_Meat posted:

That's a good point. Quite frankly, serving on any Enterprise usually means "you've seen crazy stuff that 99.999999% of the galaxy will never know exists"

Craziest poo poo is by far seeing a crew member with half his body embedded in the floor.

That one freaked me out the same way that X-Files episode did where Mulder and some dude switch bodies. In that episode, some guy is half-embedded in a rock and still alive *shudder*

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Craziest poo poo is by far seeing a crew member with half his body embedded in the floor.

Yah, that one stuck with me as a kid too. Probably didn't help that I was an idiot kid into all those stories like the Philadelphia Experiment where sailors were supposedly fused into the walls of the ship while still alive.

For the Enterprise, it was Tuesday