Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Dabo has built Clemson into a powerhouse. Saban is the best coach in college football, but Dabo is right behind, with Urban Meyer. Those are maybe the only three teams that can have a rebuilding year and still win 10 or 11 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Clemson lost to Syracuse and had no business being in the playoff :shrug:

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 2, 2018

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

MourningView posted:

Gonna miss watching Baker Mayfield play college football a whole lot.

Yup. Baker has easily risen up to be my favorite Sooner of all time.

I’m not as sad about this loss as I thought I would be. It was still a drat good game and I’m really excited to see what Riley can accomplish in his career. Having Kyler Murray at QB next year adds a whole new dime soon to the offense.

That said I hope it’s the last we’ve seen of Mike Stoops.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Jim Harbaugh is an embarrassment

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

D.N. Nation posted:

Yes, clearly Richt had no history of making GBS threads the bed against demonstratively inferior Florida/Tennessee teams, and when down multiple scores in a big game, his teams always played with steely resolve and were the kings of comebacks.

Oh, also, alternate universe 2017 Richt-coached UGA doesn't have Jake Fromm, who was run off during recruiting by Brian Schottenheimer. Remember, the guy Richt hired instead of...Lincoln Riley?

It was the right decision for UGA to move on from Richt, and it has benefited both parties. Say it, it's not hard people

Didn't richt want someone else and get schottenheimer forced on him by the AD?

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yup. Baker has easily risen up to be my favorite Sooner of all time.

I’m not as sad about this loss as I thought I would be. It was still a drat good game and I’m really excited to see what Riley can accomplish in his career. Having Kyler Murray at QB next year adds a whole new dime soon to the offense.

That said I hope it’s the last we’ve seen of Mike Stoops.

Watching Stoops use the same defensive sets he used against Big 12 offenses against Georgia's power formations was painful. Michel and Chubb were totally untouched on almost all those big run. That game would have been over way sooner if Georgia had spent less of the first half dicking around with spread looks and trying to get a passing game going.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Jim Harbaugh is an embarrassment

I root against Michigan not because I dislike them, but because I intensely dislike Harbaugh. I will always take pleasure when his mouth writes checks that he can't cash.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Komet posted:

Dabo has built Clemson into a powerhouse. Saban is the best coach in college football, but Dabo is right behind, with Urban Meyer. Those are maybe the only three teams that can have a rebuilding year and still win 10 or 11 games.

Dabo of all people being a top tier HC is just stupid. He was a goofy WR coach for the longest time and he somehow built bloody Clemson into a juggernaut. There are a lot of football minds smarter than Dabo that wont have his level of success.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

UCF national champions IMO. They won their division and beat auburn and have the same or more AP top 25 wins than bama.

Down with the establishment

Burn Tuscaloosa to the ground

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dabo of all people being a top tier HC is just stupid. He was a goofy WR coach for the longest time and he somehow built bloody Clemson into a juggernaut. There are a lot of football minds smarter than Dabo that wont have his level of success.

He's really good at overall program management stuff and did an awesome job hiring good assistants and giving them a lot of freedom. There's more than one way to be a great head coach.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
E: double post

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

It was just me being pissed about Bama getting infinite benefit of the doubt when they don’t even win their division. Nothing major, but I’m sure it was annoying.

Look on the bright side, we might see Georgia get slowly smothered to death.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MourningView posted:

Didn't richt want someone else and get schottenheimer forced on him by the AD?

Richt wanted Shaw, Riley, some dude from the Panthers, and that good OC from maybe Western Kentucky but was shut down the whole way. It sucks for Richt but worked out for everyone.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MourningView posted:

Watching Stoops use the same defensive sets he used against Big 12 offenses against Georgia's power formations was painful. Michel and Chubb were totally untouched on almost all those big run. That game would have been over way sooner if Georgia had spent less of the first half dicking around with spread looks and trying to get a passing game going.

Mike Stoops gets paid $870k a year

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

I thought this was also a "rebuilding" year for Bama?

I don't get the concept of a blue blood like Bama or Clemson having rebuilding years at all, like they're some AAC squad working off a core of one awesome recruiting class three years ago.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

MourningView posted:

Listening to Gary Patterson go crazy about this on the film room channel on ESPNNews was fascinating. He was a revelation and hope he is doing the same for the national title game. I wonder if there is a copy of it somewhere, if you haven't seen it, it's worth it to go back and watch it.

Chubb broke 3-4 tackles on his biggest TD run - OU had it well defended, but just couldn't execute. Some of the Michel runs were outright ridiculous though, enormous holes with no defenders.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MourningView posted:

It's hard to complain about the OC when you outscored the other team in the highest-scoring Rose Bowl in history, but had the Dawgs faltered in OT, that they took half the game to do what they do best against a team unable to stop it would've been questioned forever.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PostNouveau posted:

I thought this was also a "rebuilding" year for Bama?

nah that was last year. it just seems like bama is rebuilding because they're starting a simpleton at qb

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

MourningView posted:

He's really good at overall program management stuff and did an awesome job hiring good assistants and giving them a lot of freedom. There's more than one way to be a great head coach.

Agree. You don't have to be the most brilliant X's and O's mind to be a highly successful college football coach. Penn State has a ways to go to catch up to Ohio State and Clemson, but Franklin is a similar type of program manager coach that knows how to recognize coaching talent and get the most out of his athletes. You can't just credit Joe Moorhead with Penn State's success the last two years (although he's certainly a huge factor). As we saw in the bowl game, Penn State isn't going to collapse in on itself offensively next year with Ricky Rahne.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

buddhanc posted:

Come at us, the Yankees tried that shot before and it didn’t take. God himself tried in 2011 and you know how that turned out.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Emron posted:

Absolutely, it almost seemed like a statement from Saban to run a pick play there, considering that Clemson won last year with one.

Yeah. Watch the defenders at the far right of the field in each video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IVRNumSofg&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOqaN2MBVk

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sab0921 posted:

Listening to Gary Patterson go crazy about this on the film room channel on ESPNNews was fascinating. He was a revelation and hope he is doing the same for the national title game. I wonder if there is a copy of it somewhere, if you haven't seen it, it's worth it to go back and watch it.

Chubb broke 3-4 tackles on his biggest TD run - OU had it well defended, but just couldn't execute. Some of the Michel runs were outright ridiculous though, enormous holes with no defenders.

Patterson was good but god I wish he had shut the gently caress up occasionally so you could hear other people. He was just shout rasping over the top of everyone else. Holgerson in particular would have been nice to hear from more when OU was on offense, and Babers and Federoa had been awesome in past years and couldn't get a word in edgewise this year. I should not be totally unable to recognized the voice of Major Applewhite after watching like 8 goddamn hours of television that ostensibly featured him in a prominent role!

Chubb had one run in the second half where he legitimately had to break a bunch of tackles but otherwise all either of them had to do was run very fast in a straight line through a hole the size of a small tank

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. Watch the defenders at the far right of the field in each video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IVRNumSofg&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOqaN2MBVk

It was a block started at the LOS it's not the same thing

I don't give a poo poo if it was a pick anyway, the Alabama fans complaining about last year are dumb, that poo poo never gets called, and we run the exact same poo poo frequently

But the fat man TD wasn't a pick

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Probably the most relevant question for Clemson is if FSU rebound or backslide hard with Jimbo leaving. If they don't, Clemson probably skates the Atlantic and are probably beating Miami again away from the playoffs next year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It was still a drat good game and I’m really excited to see what Riley can accomplish in his career.

I won't say I expected him to be bad exactly, but I did expect some growing pains for Riley in his first year as head coach and not super-recruiter/OC. I suppose we'll see how it goes breaking in a new quarterback next year and hiring assistants if he does get rid of Stoops at DC, but if he's actually good that's pretty annoying if you're not an OU fan. Dude's still only 34 years old.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Scionix posted:

It was a block started at the LOS it's not the same thing

I don't give a poo poo if it was a pick anyway, the Alabama fans complaining about last year are dumb, that poo poo never gets called, and we run the exact same poo poo frequently

But the fat man TD wasn't a pick

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't block more than 3 yards downfield in college and then throw a pass past the line of scrimmage, right? Hell, it got called early for that offsetting penalty on #73 and he wasn't any further downfield than on the goal line play. So maybe it's not a true 'pick' play where you're trying to get around the rule, instead it was just 'destroy those two guys with one blocker and make the refs call it gently caress them'

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

MourningView posted:

Patterson was good but god I wish he had shut the gently caress up occasionally so you could hear other people. He was just shout rasping over the top of everyone else. Holgerson in particular would have been nice to hear from more when OU was on offense, and Babers and Federoa had been awesome in past years and couldn't get a word in edgewise this year. I should not be totally unable to recognized the voice of Major Applewhite after watching like 8 goddamn hours of television that ostensibly featured him in a prominent role!

THIS

He's clearly a great defensive mind, but holy hell let someone else talk dude.

I wish they'd bring in more defensive minded guys. Bret Bielema used to be a DC, but even I didn't know that until I googled it and his teams were known more for huge OLs and running the ball a lot, moreso than their defenses. Maybe it's just hard to find defensive guys that are good TV guys. I remember Pat Narduzzi being at least okay when he was on it.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

mastershakeman posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't block more than 3 yards downfield in college and then throw a pass past the line of scrimmage, right? Hell, it got called early for that offsetting penalty on #73 and he wasn't any further downfield than on the goal line play. So maybe it's not a true 'pick' play where you're trying to get around the rule, instead it was just 'destroy those two guys with one blocker and make the refs call it gently caress them'

You're right, RPOs are dumb as poo poo and make playing defense stupid as hell because people can throw while their lineman are loving blocking linebackers in the 2nd level.

However this is mostly to the detriment of Alabama in hilarious fashion (see, 2014 A&M, 2015 and 2016 Ole Miss, 20xx Auburn), so it's actually cool and good

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Watching teams like Georgia and Oklahoma succeed after moving on from very successful head coaches, and seeing young dudes like Riley and Frost put together monster teams and call creative and entertaining offenses, just makes me sadder and sadder about LSU.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Scionix posted:

You're right, RPOs are dumb as poo poo and make playing defense stupid as hell because people can throw while their lineman are loving blocking linebackers in the 2nd level.

However this is mostly to the detriment of Alabama in hilarious fashion (see, 2014 A&M, 2015 and 2016 Ole Miss, 20xx Auburn), so it's actually cool and good

yeah i remember screaming during the kick six iron bowl about linemen being way downfield but the refs dont care and neither does anyone else because more points=better than

both NFL + college need to go to a hard line rule of no downfield blocking at all prior to pass , but also just allow offensive holding so you can get sweet deep bombs from 7 step drops

and speaking of deep bombs lol at hurts' terrible fleaflicker 10 yards underthrown

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The RPO has played a major factor in pretty much every notable Bama loss in the last 5 years, so it’s not unsurprising that Saban is going to use it himself.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Refs called UGA for a downfield lineman in the '14 Auburn game which was hilarious because 1) it was in an Auburn game but not against Auburn when it was like half their offense at the time and 2) they didn't even get the call right (the UGA OL was all around the LOS).

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I wonder how much ratings are going to dip for UGA Alabama. Wasn't the LSU - Alabama rematch pretty low too?

TheRico
Mar 1, 2007

buddhanc posted:

UCF national champions IMO. They won their division and beat auburn and have the same or more AP top 25 wins than bama.

Down with the establishment

This guy gets it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

I wonder how much ratings are going to dip for UGA Alabama. Wasn't the LSU - Alabama rematch pretty low too?

This one isn't a rematch from the regular season, so it's not the same thing. It'll be down from last year but I think it'll be fine

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Apparently ratings for the rose bowl were pretty crazy

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

KKKLIP ART posted:

Apparently ratings for the rose bowl were pretty crazy

how do you think the ratings for the SECCG in a week will be?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just scrap the ineligible man downfield penalty. There's no need for it anymore.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Just scrap the ineligible man downfield penalty. There's no need for it anymore.

That would radically alter the sport FYI.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

MourningView posted:

Chubb had one run in the second half where he legitimately had to break a bunch of tackles but otherwise all either of them had to do was run very fast in a straight line through a hole the size of a small tank

That's fair - he was very overbearing. This is the first time I've seen the coaches film room - it's pretty great.

And yeah - this is embarrassing for OU. However, they decimated the Big XII on the way to the playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years. Not sure you can really fire Mike Stoops.

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/947994277270958081

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/947971341109682176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If you want an image of the future, imagine a 320 pound offensive tackle blocking a free safety on play action post routes forever

• Locked thread