Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s two consecutive days of 120 minutes of cardio

Successfully sweated down to pre-meal weights each time

gently caress you body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This anytime fitness a few hours away lists "free weights, power racks". I was out there for new years doing some stuff and had a few hours to go lift.

They have 1 rack, and it has a bench bolted to it, and two bent barbells. The bench can't even come forward enough to setup properly for a bench press (the head is too far back, my rear end would be off the front if I lined up properly to unrack + do reps without hitting it).

Anyway, I had to squat, so I just walked it out of the rack to squat in the middle of the gym with no safeties. Walking out a squat with a bench between your legs is certainly a new, weird thing, and there's some momentum in the bar if you try to walk out too fast (a 45lb plate almost fell off before my first warmup set of 135, I begrudgingly used clips from there on out). Overall, it took like 5x the steps as normal, and I made sure to rest forever because gently caress no I'm not missing a rep or hurting myself.

God drat unstaffed murder gyms.

oh yeah, it had the leg press with a sled that you load with plates, and that is actually an a+ piece of equipment compared to the poo poo tier "pushing yourself and the weights" one I usually use at my local gym. (1) You can lift 220lbs more because your fat rear end is out of the equation and (2) You have a much better starting position and can get a better rom.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 1, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

That’s two consecutive days of 120 minutes of cardio

Successfully sweated down to pre-meal weights each time

gently caress you body

Lift a loving weight.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chinatown posted:

Lift a loving weight.

Did that too but I’m told it’s pointless while cutting.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
What? It is not. And unless you already have a good bit of muscle, you can even add some on a reasonable cut. You can definitely gain strength too at the least. It just gets harder the more advanced you are. I've slowly went from 210-185 over the past year and I'm the strongest I've ever been.

e: I think I may be able to hit a 225 bench in a couple more cycles. One rep max calculator says 210, more if I count an extra grinder rep I could have done.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yeah I heard The Machinist diet works great.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Deadlifts are cardio :colbert:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Sludge Tank posted:

Deadlifts are cardio :colbert:

Everything's cardio if you're scared of the weights.

Also I can't lift my left arm is that normal?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

Did that too but I’m told it’s pointless while cutting.

what in the world

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh please yes, I love to hear good counterarguments to the stupid self-assured poo poo I hear daily.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
here is a good counter argument - go lift weights

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Will do. Did bench yesterday, will deadlift tomorrow.

Still not able to match the bench PR that I had that one drunken night, but it'll come back I'm sure

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

Oh please yes, I love to hear good counterarguments to the stupid self-assured poo poo I hear daily.

You need to keep lifting so that your brain doesn't start thinking you don't need those gains any more and eats you from the inside out to make up for the calorie deficit.

Also short, high-intensity lifting sessions are easier than drawn out cardio nonsense when you're dieting. And giving your body lots of nice damage to repair is a good use of calories.

Plus seeing new definition pop up when you've got a pump is way more motivating than watching yourself deflate and look even fatter despite losing 5lbs.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Data Graham posted:

Exercise works because your organism adapts to the conditions you put on it. If you stop lifting weights, your organism will adapt to its new condition of no longer needing to be strong.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Also, when it comes to body composition, there is literally no difference between doing cardio and eating less (I guess this probably isn't true if you stop lifting entirely but don't do that)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's cool, I can deal with that. This death-march marathon has been my defense against the unavoidable holiday gluttony, on a purely calorie-balancing level, and now that that's over I hope to be able to go back to a more normal regimen.

I guess what I'm hearing is that "lifting weights only matters if you're bulking and protein-loading" is bunk and I should be doing it at all times? Which is good because that's what I've been doing even though I'm hardly eating anything. (this weekend notwithstanding)

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yeah, that's dumb. You actually want to do more volume when you're cutting. Also you want to eat more protein when losing weight, so "lifting weights only matters if you're bulking and protein-loading" is doubly wrong.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Was able to pull 385. :frogbon: Tried 4 plates and couldn't get it off the ground lol.

1rm bench was 255. Felt like I could add 5 or 10 more but there was only one guy in the room and I don't like the way he spots.

Pretty happy with those.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Are you pretty though?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Fartbox posted:

Are you pretty though?

Some day, mate. Some day...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah, that's dumb. You actually want to do more volume when you're cutting. Also you want to eat more protein when losing weight, so "lifting weights only matters if you're bulking and protein-loading" is doubly wrong.

Could you clarify on the volume thing? More volume than what, being in maintenance or bulking?

I always thought it was best to do as much volume as you can recover from, no matter if you are bulking or cutting. What always happens for me is about 4-6 weeks in to a cut I have to drop my volume by about a third as I just can’t recover when in a deficit. Once I’m back to maintenance/bulking the volume can increase.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Anti-Hero posted:

Could you clarify on the volume thing? More volume than what, being in maintenance or bulking?

I always thought it was best to do as much volume as you can recover from, no matter if you are bulking or cutting. What always happens for me is about 4-6 weeks in to a cut I have to drop my volume by about a third as I just can’t recover when in a deficit. Once I’m back to maintenance/bulking the volume can increase.

Yeah, volume vs maintenance or bulking. When doing those you can get away with higher intensity, lower volume strength work. Obviously when bulking you can go heavier with more volume and actually build a lot of muscle.

If you need to drop your volume by a third it sounds like you have your program set up wrong, without knowing more details. The poors in here hate them(!) but the value of the hundred dollar spreadsheets is that they manage volume and intensity so that you can progress optimally. You can figure out how to do that on your own by trial and error or reading all the RP articles or something, but I prefer to pay to have people do my thinking if it's not work related.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Oh jeeze i've hosed my sleeping pattern up so bad after like a week of drinking and staying up late. I can't deal with how busy the gym is in the afternoon.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I want all these college kids to go back to school.

They're too pretty, too fit, and too numerous.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Is tehre a reason you rich swine haven't shared those templates with us poors? This is SA, we share and we care

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

The Ferret King posted:

I want all these college kids to go back to school.

They're too pretty, too fit, and too numerous.

There were some pretty boys there today but they were curling 15s and seated pressing like 60 lbs so I paid them no mind. Then there's this other dude who's back from the summer and his quads look huge now and he's added at least a plate to his squats. I wish he would be my friend.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Fartbox posted:

Is tehre a reason you rich swine haven't shared those templates with us poors? This is SA, we share and we care

They should start trickling down any day now.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I weigh the same I weighed at the beginning of 2017, but look different to the point where people who haven't seen me for a while tell me I've been working out. I guess it's time to execute order "cut under 15 percent fat by summer."

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
personally, i'm on the concentration camp diet which means i'll be subsisting mostly off a few slices of stale bread and some watery soup

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Starting training with an actual powerlifting coach on Friday 💪💪💪💪

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

LordArgh posted:

personally, i'm on the concentration camp diet which means i'll be subsisting mostly off a few slices of stale bread and some watery soup

Smashing rocks with a hammer all day while on an extreme deficit will get you shredded in no time.

I only gained 5 pounds this holiday season but am starting off the year 30 pounds lighter than I did last year. :toot:

Time to lift some things every once in awhile and continue my 15+ hours of cardio a week nonsense.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lol synthol moobs.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What happens in a person's brain to make them desire that look?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Body dysmorphia

obviously they're not seeing what we're seeing

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some of these guys have literally no muscle under that oil.
Before and after of a Russian nerd who had to have his arms drained due to an inevitable infection.
Nice 11" guns, bro.

Timg'd for nasty.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mental illness is sad but also very funny

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fartbox posted:

they're not seeing what we're seeing

This, in a horrifyingly literal sense. My mum works with body dysmorphia and eating disorders. Their brains are, quite literally, not correctly comprehending what their eyes show them.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they just want a pair of giant boobs to play with?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i just realized my health insurance will partly pay for my gym membership hot drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah, volume vs maintenance or bulking. When doing those you can get away with higher intensity, lower volume strength work. Obviously when bulking you can go heavier with more volume and actually build a lot of muscle.

If you need to drop your volume by a third it sounds like you have your program set up wrong, without knowing more details. The poors in here hate them(!) but the value of the hundred dollar spreadsheets is that they manage volume and intensity so that you can progress optimally. You can figure out how to do that on your own by trial and error or reading all the RP articles or something, but I prefer to pay to have people do my thinking if it's not work related.

Out of curiosity, do they have any spreadsheets with sort of just a 50/50 split on strength and hypertrophy? I mean I understand even if you go for pure hypertrophy, that will build a good base and you'll still get some strength out of it, and vice versa, so I guess what I'm asking - do they have anything that still has a decent focus towards increasing strength on the compounds, but still considers aesthetics? Or is it perhaps a deal where you cycle them, like a hypertrophy phase then a peaking phase? I just don't want to spend that much money and not get the right thing.