Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I've been busy posting demons and making puns, so, remember this image?

We have one of the green merfolk, Vraska, Huatli, and Ajani.

Now who's GW and would have abilities based around having a huge army who recently joined the gatewatch?

The decision to scale back the number of gatewatch members being printed on cards was probably made too late to change the design of the planeswalker, but not too late to change the character it depicted.

I'm pretty sure commissioning a new art piece takes longer than editing a text file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I'm pretty sure commissioning a new art piece takes longer than editing a text file

last-minute untested edits are how a lot of their worst "whoops" mistakes happen so i think they avoid it and lock the mechanics a long time beforehand, while you can sub out art at any point without risk up to the printer's deadline

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Toshimo's correcting me on stacking identical emblems and Orange Fluffy's theory that she's a reskinned Cat Dad jogged me into thinking this might have a home in my kids Selesnya cat tribal. It already uses Vanquisher's Banner and Lifecrafter's Bestiary to keep the hand fueled to pretty good effect...

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

evilweasel posted:

last-minute untested edits are how a lot of their worst "whoops" mistakes happen so i think they avoid it and lock the mechanics a long time beforehand, while you can sub out art at any point without risk up to the printer's deadline

Art and name are both locked in relatively early, which is why Archangel's Light sucks and Emmara Tandris has the Elemental token in the background

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I don't know that I like it more than Fatal Push in constructed, but it looks very solid in limited compared to Contract Killing and Walk the Plank.

I HATE playing with Fatal Push in standard.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I think you guys are underrating the Daring Buccaneer. A solid aggressive one drop is likely exactly the thing pirates were missing to put them over the edge into constructed playable imo.

Also the two drop non-legendary lords are incredibly solid, in particular the vampire. I actually think vamps stand the best chance of seeing standard success because Sanctum Seeker is by far the best tribal-payoff in Ixalan and a decent lord at 2cmc is a huge boost.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

I think you guys are underrating the Daring Buccaneer. A solid aggressive one drop is likely exactly the thing pirates were missing to put them over the edge into constructed playable imo.

Also the two drop non-legendary lords are incredibly solid, in particular the vampire. I actually think vamps stand the best chance of seeing standard success because Sanctum Seeker is by far the best tribal-payoff in Ixalan and a decent lord at 2cmc is a huge boost.

I'm kinda curious if the Vampire lord and the other 2 drop (the 1 that gets counters when you lose life the prior turn), will make vampires in Modern the same tier as Goblins or maybe even Merfolk.

I dont think Modern Merfolk wants the UG lord. But maybe there's a totally sweet UG build of Merfolk I'm just not seeing. I mean 12 two mana lords seems kinda relevant. What other payoffs are there for Merfolk adding green? Any particular sweet sideboard tech they gain?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

The beast horror might make Sultai better than Temur singlehandedly...

I feel like I should probably test that 4 mana chupacabra in esper GPG.

And maybe test that million mana 4/8 dinosaur as a fun-of.

Edit: A 2-mana pirate lord at uncommon would be pretty great.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

I feel like I should probably test that 4 mana chupacabra in esper GPG.

And maybe test that million mana 4/8 dinosaur as a fun-of.

Edit: A 2-mana pirate lord at uncommon would be pretty great.

I dont think Energy is gonna get nudged unless some crazy combo gets opened up that lets people just ignore what Energy is doing. And the lesson they seem to take away is to power down cards they print rather than power up the new set to be able to contend with the main deck of standard.

Pirate Lord seems pretty likely. But what 2 colors would it be? Red/Blue, Blue/Black, Black/Red? Also I'm curious if Dino lord is gonna be a thing too. Not exactly a tribe looking for anthems or a lord effect.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

anglachel posted:

Pirate Lord seems pretty likely. But what 2 colors would it be? Red/Blue, Blue/Black, Black/Red? Also I'm curious if Dino lord is gonna be a thing too. Not exactly a tribe looking for anthems or a lord effect.

Thundering Spineback has an anthem, but one could be forgiven for forgetting about him. If they were going to make it more affordable and put into one of the human sun empire worshipers, I'd like to see it on mono red since RG or RW dinos seem like the most common pairings.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

anglachel posted:

I'm kinda curious if the Vampire lord and the other 2 drop (the 1 that gets counters when you lose life the prior turn), will make vampires in Modern the same tier as Goblins or maybe even Merfolk.

I dont think Modern Merfolk wants the UG lord. But maybe there's a totally sweet UG build of Merfolk I'm just not seeing. I mean 12 two mana lords seems kinda relevant. What other payoffs are there for Merfolk adding green? Any particular sweet sideboard tech they gain?

Mostly just artifact/enchantment removal. U/G merfolk was originally abandoned because all you got out of it was a pair of slightly undercosted creatures - adding a lord to the mix might be interesting enough to revisit the idea.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

anglachel posted:

UG merfolk gets a little lower to the ground with some more aggressive guys. The issue is UG drops one of your big finishers in Master of Waves.

This UG lord could be a fine replacement for Reejery in those builds however, and allows you to keep Vial on 2 forever.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/domodogood/status/948266029695639553

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Would have been playable with haste.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Toshimo posted:

Would've been incredible with haste.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

anglachel posted:

Black/ UR hybrid?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Toshimo posted:

Maybe it goes in a deck with Otopec Huntmaster and/or Regisaur Alpha?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That's a fun Dino.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Niton posted:

Maybe it goes in a deck with Otopec Huntmaster and/or Regisaur Alpha?

It competes with Carnage Tyrant for that spot. Hard to beat Carnage Tyrant.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Does this mean we're getting a blue elder dinosaur then? There's one in every other colour.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

MrBling posted:

Does this mean we're getting a blue elder dinosaur then? There's one in every other colour.

There are six so there is a blue one and either an artifact or five color one.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Toshimo posted:

this is 3RR/Haste if you have Huntmaster out. That might actually make RG dinos viable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'd say that card is generally only worthwhile if you're hitting CMC 3 or higher at that stage in the game and you're looking at sub 50% odds to do it between unplayable lands, 1 drops, and 2 drops

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The interaction playing into an Explore-heavy deck where your opponent obligingly lets you know what Etali is going to hit is certainly a factor to consider, particularly in limited.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Honestly can't tell how many of these large creatures with decent abilities will turn Esper Gift into 5C gift. Probably won't, but it would be cool to see GPG be a toolbox deck.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Tainen posted:

There are six so there is a blue one and either an artifact or five color one.

Dinoeldrazi it is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'd say that card is generally only worthwhile if you're hitting CMC 3 or higher at that stage in the game and you're looking at sub 50% odds to do it between unplayable lands, 1 drops, and 2 drops

You're stealing your opponent's nonland stuff, it isn't just your's. Stealing their removal before they can even declare blockers is gonna be funny.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Am I reading this correctly that you may only play those cards as the trigger resolves? That seems useless if so. Or is it that once exiled you may play them without paying their mana cost for the rest of the game (or until the dino leaves the field)?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

evilweasel posted:

Am I reading this correctly that you may only play those cards as the trigger resolves? That seems useless if so. Or is it that once exiled you may play them without paying their mana cost for the rest of the game (or until the dino leaves the field)?

Yeah, can you even cast creatures exiled like this during the combat phase...?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

evilweasel posted:

You have to play them as the trigger resolves or never, ignoring normal timing restrictions.

Edit: cards like this, where they don’t tell you when you can play the revealed cards, always mean that you play them on resolution and don’t have to worry about sorcery-speed. If it gives you a time frame (until eot, for the rest of the game, etc.), then you have to obey normal timing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ShaneB posted:

Sure. It an effect tells you cast something you ignore timing restrictions.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ShaneB posted:

Yes? I mean, you normally can't cast Instants in the middle of some other ability resolving either, the ability overrides the normal timing restrictions.

If you hit something like Reset then you're out of luck though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ShadeofBlue posted:

You have to play them as the trigger resolves or never, ignoring normal timing restrictions.

Edit: cards like this, where they don’t tell you when you can play the revealed cards, always mean that you play them on resolution and don’t have to worry about sorcery-speed. If it gives you a time frame (until eot, for the rest of the game, etc.), then you have to obey normal timing.

Ahh, the ignoring timing restrictions is the part I was missing. Makes sense. Am I correct though that if you chose to not play an exiled card, then attacked again the next turn that you would be able to play the previously exiled card, as it would remain a "card exiled this way"?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like there is a deck with this in Modern

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Balon posted:

UG merfolk gets a little lower to the ground with some more aggressive guys. The issue is UG drops one of your big finishers in Master of Waves.

This UG lord could be a fine replacement for Reejery in those builds however, and allows you to keep Vial on 2 forever.

Dropping Reejery certainly came to mind. Though it's ability to tap/untap is suprisingly relevant. Having messed around with Merfolk, it feels like it loses more often by failing to have a critical mass of Lords than failing to find it's Master of Waves finisher. Also with Bolt losing some of it's luster in the format compared to Fatal Push, Master of Waves seems a bit worse lately. On the other hand one of the strengths of Merfolk seems like it was the deck that didnt have to start at 17 life from fetching a shock, or having to do meaningful damage to itself with shocks or fetches. Plus it completely dodges decks that try to win via the Blood Moon route. Going U/G would hurt those advantages. Getting the Green enchantment hate seems useful.... but Fish already had Hurkyl's Recall for dealing with Artifacts.

Perhaps a more skilled Fish pilot can chime in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Opponents are just going to watch you attack with your 3/3 for 4 cmc and laugh as they declare no blocks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

So this is another bad rare right?

TheKingofSprings posted:

I feel that this is incorrect.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
seems like a bad Splendid Reclamation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Splendid Reclamation had a few interesting test builds around it. Not sure if being on a 3/3 and having to die before getting to use the Splendid Reclamation part changes that equation though.