Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Thanks for that post, spaceships, it was interesting.

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/948282906295881729

He seems confident.

It's almost like having a US president loudly shout his support for protesters in Iran isn't the one weird trick neocons thought it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

It's almost like having a US president loudly shout his support for protesters in Iran isn't the one weird trick neocons thought it was.

It's not when it's brazenly hypocritical. It's Trump. Everyone knows about him and his Muslim ban. Nobody gives a poo poo what he has to say. This is all independent of him. But IRGC statements should obviously be taken with a grain of salt.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

It's not when it's brazenly hypocritical. It's Trump. Everyone knows about him and his Muslim ban. Nobody gives a poo poo what he has to say. This is all independent of him. But IRGC statements should obviously be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm really not trying to be contentious here, but I think hypocrisy in US foreign policy clearly predates Trump. Even Obama, who belatedly issued support to protesters in Egypt as they toppled Mubarak, barely said a peep when Sisi massacred Egyptians in the streets with US supplied weapons. I think the US can be a moral voice in other parts of the world, and Trump has cost us there, but cynicism about our motives in the Middle East both existed before and was earned.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ardennes posted:

Maybe not, but Pakistan has increasingly been pulling into China's orbit (more than it did).
I think this is part of Trump's plan.

1. Make Pakistan cut ties with the US
2. Pakistan, seeking a new sugar daddy, runs to China
3. The coming Indo-Pakistani Nuclear War now also includes China
4. America has now been made truly Great, at least relatively.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

TildeATH posted:

Your dad sounds like a grade A jerk.

that's Shah Grade A Jerk to you, pedar sag

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

He sounds like an old conservative douchebag with the Proud Shi’a and Those Good Revolutionaries Who Want Reform and Restrained IRGC lines. It sounds like an Iranian version of a Trump supporter who wants to make sure nothing really changes and none of that Foreign Influence gets in.

I guess I just know more conservative Iranians than all you guys in this thread married to your various Tehrangeles cousins of the Shah.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Had an Iranian colleague stay with me the past few days. Talking to him & reading my FB feed of Iranians studying in America, most people are apathetic to the protests while hoping the government address corruption. One good conversation about Ahmadenijad's oligarchs* who've exported currency that are essentially untouchable due to Ahmadenijad's leverage. *Here's a summary I quickly found: https://www.peoplesworld.org/article/iran-s-neo-liberal-agenda/

Count Roland posted:

I thought I read the IRGC had already been brought out?

Basij is under IRGC and they're ever-present.

e: Titra Parsi & Billy Kristol
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/wa...comments=disqus

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

TildeATH posted:

He sounds like an old conservative douchebag with the Proud Shi’a and Those Good Revolutionaries Who Want Reform and Restrained IRGC lines. It sounds like an Iranian version of a Trump supporter who wants to make sure nothing really changes and none of that Foreign Influence gets in.

I guess I just know more conservative Iranians than all you guys in this thread married to your various Tehrangeles cousins of the Shah.

my dad's a leftist lol

e: sorry he's not parroting american regime change propaganda

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ardennes posted:

Maybe not, but Pakistan has increasingly been pulling into China's orbit (more than it did).

Yep, they've got the CPEC thing going on (China-Pakistan Economic Corridor), which was a forerunner of the whole "Belt and Road Initiative" (BRI, also known as One Belt, One Road, OBOR, though that later term is discontinued because of English language confusion about what it means exactly since there's quite a bit more than one road in it).

As China's internal consumerism becomes more and more reliant on imports, especially from Africa and the Arab countries, they have become more and more concerned with safekeeping land and sea roads from these countries to them. Their rivalry with India and with the USA means that if the situation degenerated, they could be choked by a maritime blockade.

Here's a couple of maps. The first is of maritime traffic:

So it's easy to see the principal strategic points of control here. The straits of Ormuz (Iran, Oman, UAE), Bab-el-Mandeb (Djibouti, Yemen, Somaliland), Malacca, Sunda and Lombok (Malaysia, Indonesia), plus Cape Comorin (India, the Maldives and Sri Lanka).

The second is more political:

(Points #13, #14 and #15 are mixed up in the map; which is also too old to mark Chinese presence in Djibouti.)

The CPEC is a land shortcut. It's not without its drawbacks, but it's a vital safety. Likewise, Myanmar also allows to bypass the Pacific leg entirely if it were to become necessary. Then there's a bunch of Chinese military (or civilian but quickly "militarizable") installations in the "string of pearls" to secure traffic. (Note that from an Indian perspective, it looks like a Chinese attempt at containing them.)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kurdish opposition.

https://twitter.com/PDKIenglish/status/948295358614040577

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

spaceships posted:

my dad's a leftist lol

Hella leftist if you define any of the non-economic criticism to be American propaganda.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

TildeATH posted:

Hella leftist if you define any of the non-economic criticism to be American propaganda.

i didn't, neither did he.

e: you can't possibly expect anyone to engage with this post in good faith

TildeATH posted:

spaceships fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 2, 2018

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

spaceships posted:

i didn't, neither did he.

e: you can't possibly expect anyone to engage with this post in good faith

he's being a massive loving idiot, just ignore him. Keep us updated with news from your dad, we need some sort of no-bullshit line into what's going on in there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Why? like pakistan isnt great(military state with ever riseing chance of getting couped by islamists someday and keeping the taliban around as perpetual enemy) but what pissed trump off enough to do this.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Why? like pakistan isnt great(military state with ever riseing chance of getting couped by islamists someday and keeping the taliban around as perpetual enemy) but what pissed trump off enough to do this.

Trump hates Obama and Bush, and constantly gets convinced to do things by people telling him they weren't brave enough to do what he will, so that's probably what happened.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sinteres posted:

Trump hates Obama and Bush, and constantly gets convinced to do things by people telling him they weren't brave enough to do what he will, so that's probably what happened.

probaly, but what is he gonna do? sanctions? military/civil aid freeze cut off. or will he just forget by tomorrow.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

Yep, they've got the CPEC thing going on (China-Pakistan Economic Corridor), which was a forerunner of the whole "Belt and Road Initiative" (BRI, also known as One Belt, One Road, OBOR, though that later term is discontinued because of English language confusion about what it means exactly since there's quite a bit more than one road in it).

As China's internal consumerism becomes more and more reliant on imports, especially from Africa and the Arab countries, they have become more and more concerned with safekeeping land and sea roads from these countries to them. Their rivalry with India and with the USA means that if the situation degenerated, they could be choked by a maritime blockade.

Here's a couple of maps. The first is of maritime traffic:

So it's easy to see the principal strategic points of control here. The straits of Ormuz (Iran, Oman, UAE), Bab-el-Mandeb (Djibouti, Yemen, Somaliland), Malacca, Sunda and Lombok (Malaysia, Indonesia), plus Cape Comorin (India, the Maldives and Sri Lanka).

The second is more political:

(Points #13, #14 and #15 are mixed up in the map; which is also too old to mark Chinese presence in Djibouti.)

The CPEC is a land shortcut. It's not without its drawbacks, but it's a vital safety. Likewise, Myanmar also allows to bypass the Pacific leg entirely if it were to become necessary. Then there's a bunch of Chinese military (or civilian but quickly "militarizable") installations in the "string of pearls" to secure traffic. (Note that from an Indian perspective, it looks like a Chinese attempt at containing them.)

Yeah, the BRI should be seen just as much of a geopolitical investment as an economic one, and certainly, China has not been slouching out of its investment. Also, ironically enough, pushing through Eurasia/SE Asia and the Indian Ocean has not only increasing contained India but have in turn broken US' containment of China. That said, India's foreign policy has always taken an isolationist slant with a tendency toward geopolitical neutrality. India isn't sitting around (there have been considerable investments in the Indian Navy), but it is unclear they are actually on the road to siding with the West in an essentially an anti-Chinese alliance, especially since they are still buying Russian arms and are working with Iran on the Chabahar port. That said, it is clear China is not going to allow Pakistan to fall too far behind India, and undoubtedly Trump taking a hard stand against Pakistan will probably benefit the Chinese (balanced by the possibility of US-Indian cooperation).

Basically, a break with Pakistan (and its obvious repercussions in Afganistan) makes sense only if the US can bring India into a Western orbit (which Indian may not actually want).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 2, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probaly, but what is he gonna do? sanctions? military/civil aid freeze cut off. or will he just forget by tomorrow.

Even if they're serious about doing something in the next day or two, I bet even they don't know what that means yet. They could just add Pakistan to the travel ban I guess, though after some cursory research it looks like they and a number of other Muslim countries have already seen marked declines in the number of visas being issued, so there already seems to be a bit of a shadow ban being put in place.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I keep forgetting how large myanmar as a country is, wow those military guys really hosed up that country super hard in comparison to every other south eastern Asian country.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This will be interesting to follow.

https://twitter.com/AmirToumaj/status/948302105923719169

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The part about burning Qurans is crazy.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Follows:

"These areas are supposed to be bastions of support for gov."

This is kind of non-sensical beyond there not really being a Mazadarani separatist movement. I've never heard of Mazadaran being this and the recent election map shows they were strong Rouhani: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Iranian_presidential_election,_2017

"Should be palpable by now that IRI is in deep trouble."

Um. No. There's honestly countless Imamzadeh shrines in Iran and I've been to a few (ages ago). From what I remember, there were some basijis around to make sure people were properly attired going in. Hell, it's even possible basij did this as a false flag.

e: Poster is FDD and saying non-sensical things. Checks out!

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 2, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'll keep an eye out to see if any more comes of it from somewhere else. Seems like Borzou and a handful of activists are the only ones getting any information. Everything is so politicized.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Thanks for that post, spaceships, it was interesting.

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/948282906295881729

He seems confident.

What he said about the USA, Israel, and ESPECIALLY Saudi Arabia is 100% true.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hey guys I just got the word from my buddy frrom Isfahan 'DETHTOISLAMILOVETHESHAHGREATERKURDISTAN4EVERILOVEISRAELNEOCONTRUMPLOVER6969' just told me that he went into the town square was super inspired by netanyahu's speech and farted on a picture of Khamaenei then everyone stood up and clapped!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TildeATH posted:

He sounds like a man who doesn’t want to get severely beaten by police/military.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There is quite a "fog of war" at this point, cross-narratives are pretty easy to explain since it doesn't seem anyone has a complete grasp on what is going on. I could see the motive for economic unrest especially in rural Western Iran, especially since so much of the infrastructure investment that has happened in Tehran and Central Iran, especially with high unemployment and persistent inflation.

I am a little more intrigued by the reported assaults on police stations (if they are to be believed), but there is so little to go on it is pretty much twitter hearsay.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This is obviously I/P stuff, but it affects the region and world, so it seems worth noting that Trump just said on twitter Jerusalem is off the table in terms of final status and he threatened to revoke aid to Palestinians if they don't hurry up and sign a lovely peace deal under the new terms.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948322497602220032

You couldn't make up something to take attention off of what's going on in Iran better if you tried.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sinteres posted:

This is obviously I/P stuff, but it affects the region and world, so it seems worth noting that Trump just said on twitter Jerusalem is off the table in terms of final status and he threatened to revoke aid to Palestinians if they don't hurry up and sign a lovely peace deal under the new terms.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948322497602220032

You couldn't make up something to take attention off of what's going on in Iran better if you tried.

Lol trump thinks that a muslim democracy like pakistan is going to sign a peace treaty with Israel for no reason. He thinks that Jerusalem is off the table in any concievable way.

Please PLEASE stop paying Mahmoud Abbas, the PLO's current leadership shouldve been removed at least a decade ago, the only reason they're still alive is due to being propped up by the US and the Gulf, trump not paying them means that finally the Palestinians can get rid of him, Dahlan and Erekat once and for all.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 2, 2018

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys I just got the word from my buddy frrom Isfahan 'DETHTOISLAMILOVETHESHAHGREATERKURDISTAN4EVERILOVEISRAELNEOCONTRUMPLOVER6969' just told me that he went into the town square was super inspired by netanyahu's speech and farted on a picture of Khamaenei then everyone stood up and clapped!

Uhhh excuse me but everybody knows that anyone from Isfahan is a liar. :thunk:

Ask for directions and get 10 different responses.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Volkerball posted:

I'll keep an eye out to see if any more comes of it from somewhere else. Seems like Borzou and a handful of activists are the only ones getting any information. Everything is so politicized.

Yeah, it's not to say the news they're relaying is necessarily deceptive but they're full of poo poo otherwise. Also, it's pretty drat easy to add a link to the report which they didn't.

Here it is: http://www.farsnews.com/imgrep.php?nn=13961012001395

Wirth1000 posted:

Uhhh excuse me but everybody knows that anyone from Isfahan is a liar. :thunk:

Ask for directions and get 10 different responses.

Nice to see other Iranians coming to the thread.

For the curious: https://www.reddit.com/r/iran/comments/25n5le/a_little_background_on_iranian_ethnic_jokes_and/

Southerners, joonoobis, are the less civilized ruffians. At least they know that fesenjoon should be more tart than sweet.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
eli lake, the dumb mother fucker who pushed the iraq war, is doing pretty much the same with iran, again. i cannot believe people still pay attention to him.

tu goh khordie, eli

e: *extremely netanyahu voice* eli is THREE WEEKS away from invading iran by himself

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

guidoanselmi posted:

Southerners, joonoobis, are the less civilized ruffians. At least they know that fesenjoon should be more tart than sweet.

My mom's from Yazd and she makes the best fesenjoon hands down. Disagree? Too bad. Also ghormeh sabzi.

And I like my doogh uncarbonated. Fight me.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
seems bad

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/948353313841598464

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Nah. They do provide meaningful support sometimes, mixed in with the lies and sandbagging. They aren't willing to help enough to get the job done, and do engage in harmful activities (theoretically it's rogue agencies, but no agency is rogue enough to do this poo poo for almost two decades), but it's still arguably the case that things would be even worse without any pretense of them being on board. Trump's already picking one fight with a nuclear state, so picking right now to essentially call another a state sponsor of terrorism seems like bad timing at best.

This is a simpering understatement. Pakistan's generals have looted their own country, murdered thousands of civilians, committed genocide, destroyed democratic institutions and weaponized Islamic terrorism to gently caress over their neighbouring countries, and their own. They should 100% not be receiving military aid and support from the US and are a major part of the reason the war in Afghanistan drags on and on without end.

The reason they haven't been cut off is that the US military intelligence complex is allied with reactionary fundamentalism rather than opposed to it, despite the public rhetoric.

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 3, 2018

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

tekz posted:

This is a simpering understatement. Pakistan's generals have looted their own country, murdered thousands of civilians, committed genocide, destroyed democratic institutions and weaponized Islamic terrorism to gently caress over their neighbouring countries, and their own. They should 100% not be receiving military aid and support from the US and are a major part of the reason the war in Afghanistan drags on and on without end.

The reason they haven't been cut off is that the US military intelligence complex is allied with reactionary fundamentalism rather than opposed to it, despite the public rhetoric.

While all of this is true it’s important to remember that the US still has substantial commitments in Afghanistan, the oversight of which Trump has pretty much wholly handed off to the US military. Him loving with Pakistan at this time is not going to do the average grunt sitting in a firebase on the AfPak border any favors.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Has he hosed with a country that isn't a nuclear power?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I mean I’m not as worried about their nukes as I am being less willing to help with the efforts fighting/negotiating the Taliban. The fighting season in Afghanistan is over but come spring and there’s still a spat between the US and Pakistan going on things will get much worse.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I mean I’m not as worried about their nukes as I am being less willing to help with the efforts fighting/negotiating the Taliban. The fighting season in Afghanistan is over but come spring and there’s still a spat between the US and Pakistan going on things will get much worse.

Yeah, thats the thing, aid at least gets out a foot in the door and gives us some leverage, ending it would be basically surrendering that advantage with nothing to replace it with. It doesn't help Trump wants to only increase troop commitments, and we can't actually retreat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

spaceships posted:

my dad's a leftist lol

Your father will not be a True Progressive until he singlehandedly defeats Ayatollah Khomeini in a scimitar duel and overthrows the government.