Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Abramson is absolutely the same kind of worthless nutter that Mensch is, and one of the few bright spots of last month was watching him become more and more pompous and aggressive as ever-greater numbers of people started to call him out on his breathless rumormongering.

All of these Twitter con artists react the same when they sense the walls closing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kilroy posted:

(It's the racism :ssh: )

I don't want my grandparents to be racist but I totally suspect they are. They're wonderful people, I love them DEARLY, but I cannot help but feel like there's some deeply seated prejudices there that even they aren't aware of. I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but I worry that I'm not.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wasn't she forced out of her seat

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

KickerOfMice posted:

-archy, -ocracy, what's that word that means a society controlled by the wealthy undead?

Necroligarchy

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

TheNewt posted:

Arkansas ain't stupid enough and Boozeman is too much of a business friendly moderate republican to get voted out by anyone that cares.

She's running for governor not senator.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JanMorgan_/status/948187266001883137?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wasn't she forced out of her seat

If I remember correctly, she just stepped down.
Technically, yes - https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/05/reading-between-the-lines-of-michele-bachmanns-retirement-speech/276332/

Chadderbox posted:

Necroligarchy

:monocle: Here's what I was looking for.

VVVVV
Nice.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 2, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Chadderbox posted:

Necroligarchy

Thanatocracy. :eng101:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm that person.

Oh, ha, whoops

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You have yet to show how they are different.

You've failed to show they're the same. I also don't really care that much

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

STAC Goat posted:

Don't worry. Huckabee makes poo poo up and never actually follows through on anything she says will be announced later. Its just her go to deflection when a reporter asks a question about something Trump said. She neither wants to disagree with the President nor has anything to back him up so she just tells you to ask someone else or wait.

I wonder if she saw how well Trump's "we'll see" dodge worked and made her own version of it.

SHuckS is a rather frustrating because she is pretty darn good at shutting down the press without even giving up eyebrow-raising quotes in a way that made them a target of mockery like Spicer had a habit of doing.

Competent people in this administration scare me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheNewt posted:

Is the thread done reminiscing about Laughable Xhosa Girl?

:gb2somethingsensitive:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Considering that black people are the cornerstone of the Democratic party, it's pretty remarkable that out of 49 Democratic senators, only one has a black chief of staff.

Also, how the hell are there only 3 black senators? And one of them is Tim Scott?? I was expecting there to be like 5 or 6 at the very least, sheesh.

I know it's a tired old Republican trope, but Black people giving 90+% of their votes to the Democratic candidate regardless of their eventual policies isn't good. It's equivalent to poor White people who support Republicans even though it goes against their best interests.

Doug Jones seems to legitimately appreciate Black support. I don't know if most other Democratic Senators do.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

See now all I can think about is the rhino making GBS threads itself and feces falling all over the dog as it chases.

So yeah, that's pretty much the perfect embodiment of that campaign.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Carlosologist posted:

Happy new year Trump thread, here’s a funny anecdote

https://twitter.com/stevesilberman/status/948298800178774016

It’s from two pages back but I can’t stop laughing at how nutbag conservatives treat “knowing people” as part of a point system to give them a pass at not being a bigot. It’s like they list that they know 3 Jews and a black woman and so they can rattle off at least three racial epithets on national TV without being labeled a bigot or racist.

gently caress, I helped a black neighbor shovel snow out of his driveway and dated a cute Venezuelan girl with Jewish heritage a while back, how many points does that get me? Am I finally in the “not racist” zone? :downs:

What the gently caress, white people? Why do we suck so bad?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Smol posted:

Cruz maybe?

Cruz is gonna be inserting himself into every primary until the day he dies. His reputation since loving high school is that of someone that is always clambering to reach a higher seat of power and the POTUS is the ultimate end goal for him. Fortunately, he has all the charisma of a moldy banana so the odds of him ever winning a general election are slim. Even Republicans don't like him.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Warren positions herself for potential 2020 run

I worry that she is a weak campaigner and would play right into the same biases as Hillary.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Family Values posted:

I worry that she is a weak campaigner and would play right into the same biases as Hillary.

Well, she is a woman, so yeah.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Family Values posted:

I doubt Warren will have issues with paid Wall Street speeches.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Lich lord Trump has been accepting embalmuments. The republican branch of our thanatocracy has been taken over by the alt-wight. Orrin Hatch is still a senator.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm so glad that Roy Moore ran for senate.

First he threw the race by being a creepy pedophile,
Then he put the dumbest motherfucker ever in a CNN interview who got completely, totally, and mercilessly wrecked by Jake Tapper. I STILL get an urge to laugh just thinking about that.
Then his wife steps up to the plate and gets owned in that Washington Examiner article.

If literally any other republican had been in his place, Alabama would have elected them and we'd have one less Dem in the senate and fewer sources of joviality in this thread. And with how depressing this last year has been, we need all the chuckles we can get around here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Family Values posted:

In that she's a woman and America is super sexist?

Otherwise she's literally someone who has cred for sticking up for the working class and loving with banks. And knows how to talk to people in ways they can hear.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Necronomarchy

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Family Values posted:

After 2017: The Year of the Sexmonster I will only vote for a woman in the 2020 primaries so more women is good news.

Warren>Klobucher>Gillibrand/Harris/Anyone Else

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Family Values posted:

What makes someone a weak campaigner? As long as she’s willing to do public events that’s campaigning.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

yronic heroism posted:

What makes someone a weak campaigner? As long as she’s willing to do public events that’s campaigning.

Agreed. She did the Women's March last year and I thought she did a good job. Plus she's pretty much perfect on domestic policy. I dunno enough about her foreign policy stances to say anything.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

yronic heroism posted:

Martha Coakley would like a word with you.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Riptor posted:

That still comes off as someone who has stupid ideas / has watched too much House of Cards rather than someone who is literally insane like Mensch

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/on-bernie-sanders-and-exp_b_10077684.html

edit: like, i will say that abramson is better than mensch in that he clearly is aware that he's talking bullshit, he just believes that talking enough bullshit is going to have a positive impact. mensch legit believes everything she says.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

axeil posted:

Agreed. She did the Women's March last year and I thought she did a good job. Plus she's pretty much perfect on domestic policy. I dunno enough about her foreign policy stances to say anything.

Better than tweeting threats to foreign powers should be an improvement.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Martha Coakley would like a word with you.

We have Martha Coakley to thank for Liz Warren though.

Well that and the GOP refusing to allow her appointment to head of the CFPB

BlueBlazer posted:

Better than tweeting threats to foreign powers should be an improvement.

Yeah on the foreign policy front "thinks nuclear war is bad" is pretty much the only qualifier at this point for me.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pretty much any other woman in the field would be a better choice than Warren. She is not charismatic on the stump. She's awesome in writing and there's some great clips, but if you look at longer campaign speeches, there are better options. She can probably still beat Trump (we hope), but I'd like to nominate someone who can also win in 2024.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shifty Pony posted:

I wonder if she saw how well Trump's "we'll see" dodge worked and made her own version of it.

SHuckS is a rather frustrating because she is pretty darn good at shutting down the press without even giving up eyebrow-raising quotes in a way that made them a target of mockery like Spicer had a habit of doing.

I'm not sure how competent she is, but the main difference I find between her and Spicer is that Spicer let the media get to him. He got angry and worked up and felt a need to defend himself and Trump. Huckabee doesn't. She's nakedly shameless and feels no need to defend anything she or Trump do or say. The media doesn't make her angry or put her on the defensive. She just condescends to them and dismisses them openly in a way that no professional PR person should do.

I don't know if that's competency as much as its just inherited "give no poo poo"ness. But its what you need to survive the Trump Administration. if there's something Huckabee really gets its (a) that just denying something or deflecting it is way more effective than fighting it like Spicer did and (b) there's so much poo poo and chaos that the press pool really can't keep up to hold you accountable for the poo poo your promised them last week.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

Being able to say nothing about things that people already know is now competent.

A sound activated sign that lit up and said 'no comment' could do her job

the bar is in free fall

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

axeil posted:

We have Martha Coakley to thank for Liz Warren though.

Well that and the GOP refusing to allow her appointment to head of the CFPB

Yeah on the foreign policy front "thinks nuclear war is bad" is pretty much the only qualifier at this point for me.

This is true, but she was an awful campaigner, which was my original point.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

none of their candidates have had twenty five years of baseless hatemongering pointed at them so no

i mean, the dkos/democratic underground types used to accuse Jeb! of stealing the 2000 election for his brother. but that never really went beyond those circles so it's not to the same degree.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Rigel posted:

Pretty much any other woman in the field would be a better choice than Warren.

this is pretty ridiculous hyperbole

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

Pretty much any other woman in the field would be a better choice than Warren. She is not charismatic on the stump. She's awesome in writing and there's some great clips, but if you look at longer campaign speeches, there are better options. She can probably still beat Trump (we hope), but I'd like to nominate someone who can also win in 2024.

Her authenticity on Wall Street regulation matters way more than if she doesn't check your boxes in charisma.

The idea that she would lose as a sitting president because of stump speeches is absurd.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Instant Sunrise posted:

i mean, the dkos/democratic underground types used to accuse Jeb! of stealing the 2000 election for his brother. but that never really went beyond those circles so it's not to the same degree.

Accuse?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

Then he put the dumbest motherfucker ever in a CNN interview who got completely, totally, and mercilessly wrecked by Jake Tapper. I STILL get an urge to laugh just thinking about that.

If literally any other republican had been in his place, Alabama would have elected them and we'd have one less Dem in the senate and fewer sources of joviality in this thread. And with how depressing this last year has been, we need all the chuckles we can get around here.

How did I forget about that already? Here it is, for anyone who hasn't seen it. poo poo, and for those who have.
This is full-swing wrecking ball ownage. Literal dumbstruck silence included. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 2, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

botany posted:

this is pretty ridiculous hyperbole

"pretty much any other woman in the field" = Gillibrand, Harris, and Klobuchar. All 3 would be better options. So no, I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

axeil posted:

Basically everyone who a) is elected and b) the left likes is this way, minus a few gimmes like "diplomacy is good" and "let's try to stop human rights abuses," honestly. I'm struggling to think of a left-approved nationally elected politician who focuses much on the foreign policy side.

• Locked thread