Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The phone version of FFT has no slowdown. Like, at all. It's probably the best version for grinding since all the animations move at a reasonable pace. It's not a super recent port so expect some crashes, and it doesn't have cloud saves or the cheat buttons of the more recent main series ports. So, not perfect, but it fixed my biggest complaint with WotL so I'd recommend it if you're looking to go back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Recommendations for text-based loot-driven games like Kingdom of Loathing (without the daily limits)?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

space marine todd posted:

Recommendations for text-based loot-driven games like Kingdom of Loathing (without the daily limits)?

The Lone Wolf Saga sort of. Digital adaptations of old cyoa books, with a combat, progression, and gear system baked in.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

The Muffinlord posted:

The phone version of FFT has no slowdown. Like, at all. It's probably the best version for grinding since all the animations move at a reasonable pace. It's not a super recent port so expect some crashes, and it doesn't have cloud saves or the cheat buttons of the more recent main series ports. So, not perfect, but it fixed my biggest complaint with WotL so I'd recommend it if you're looking to go back to it.

Stupid question but is this the PlayStation version it the GBA certain with judges and weird poo poo?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Malek posted:

Stupid question but is this the PlayStation version it the GBA certain with judges and weird poo poo?

I dunno man I think it might be the sequel Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

quote:

Released as the Final Fantasy series' first tactical RPG in 1997, Final Fantasy Tactics on Playstation went on to sell over 2.4 million copies worldwide. The game grew in popularity upon its re-release in 2007 as Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions for the PSP with added features such as new movies, scenarios and Jobs.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

pappawurm posted:

Muscle hustle, anyone figure out how to beat the quest really hard Samson siege? They have bomb timers that go off in the second round.
Too bad True Skate is a trap.
Pay to get it and you get like, one/two levels and you have to pay for more.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
The first FFT was on PlayStation, had kind of a wonky translation and iirc some cut content. War of the Lions is the PSP remaster that got ported to smartphones. Both are good. The GBA FF Tactics: Advance is basically a spin-off, I'm a big fan but the judge system is very polarizing. It's a "lite" version of FFT otherwise, totally separate story, still good mechanics. The GBA one also has a sequel on DS that I've been playing in Drastic and can confirm is pretty hot garbage.

Manky fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 27, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

FFT: War Of The Lions is also on sale for 5 bux right now.

//edit

Seems to run great on an S7. No slowdown and good touchscreen controls. You can click on menu items or scroll up or down on any dead space and hit Okay. Camera controls are also pretty good.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 27, 2017

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The app is the original FFT for the PlayStation. It is kinda of the game that popularized the genre. It had a lot of amazing ideas that it added that are now normal. It also had some not so good ideas, like asking you if you wanted save right before a boss fight without any ability to leave. A lot of people had to restart the game from the beginning. It also has a limited number of units allowed in a fight, which means when you have an AI ally then you get stuck with less of your own units. This makes the first chapter by far the hardest because your stuck with two lovely ai characters.

So it is a good game just make sure you:
1) Save on different spots when it ask you save between fights.
2) Change your chapter 1 allies to chemist. They will still suck but at least they will spend their time hanging back and healing instead of charging forward and dying immediately. They will use all of your potions though.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

It's too bad the PSP version of Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together never came out on mobile, because that is an amazing remaster of a fantastic game.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The Android version of that HQ Trivia app is now available for pre-registration on the Play Store. It'll reportedly be out proper on January 1st.

Also it looks like an Android port of word game Typeshift was quietly released a few days ago.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 28, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mrkillboy posted:

The Android version of that HQ Trivia app is now available for pre-registration on the Play Store. It'll reportedly be out proper on January 1st.

Oh man, from what I can tell from the Play store page, this reminds me of 1 vs 100 on XBLA.

Man, I miss that game :negative:

Edit: very quick trip report... I installed it, set up an account, didn't link my PayPal to it though. It said the next game was at 9pm EST, so I check back at 8:55, and it only gives me the option to watch, but not only does it crash 3 times before 9, but it continually takes control of my media volume. Uninstalled.

I'm willing to admit that perhaps I wasn't given the option to play because I hadn't linked a PayPal account yet, but that doesn't account for the instability.

Also, in a chatroom with 300k+ people (which is what this thing had), why does anyone bother writing anything? Same goes for twitch streams. That's the same as a bunch of people in a crowd telling someone up on stage something in their normal speaking voices.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 29, 2017

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Shurado is a new timing-based fighter with pretty graphics and more than a passing resemblance to Dark Souls.

edit: it looks and runs like poo poo on a Galaxy S8.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 29, 2017

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Nemico posted:

It's too bad the PSP version of Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together never came out on mobile, because that is an amazing remaster of a fantastic game.

Funny you should mention Tactics Ogre, because I recently came across a fantastic TO-like SRPG by the name of Mercenaries Saga 2. It's by the same devs as Adventure Bar Story (another good RPG, if a bit obtuse). The first couple of hours are free, with a full game unlock after the 6th story mission.

The actual combat itself is pretty brutal - it lacks permadeath, but status effects are powerful & everything hits really hard.

Niton fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 30, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my Muscle Hustle / wrestling / wrasslin code is 330592

also, i made a muscle hustle spreadsheet. i think i got everyone who's posted their code, but if not feel free to add yourself. i've been playing for a while but i haven't added anyone yet, so i don't know who is still playing...if you aren't playing any more and could take a second to delete your info from the sheet, that would be awesome :)

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Anyone tried the newer Carcassonne game? It plays nice, but the AI is terrible, and there's barely 100 players online at any time and I've never seen an online game. Only 2 expansions too when the previous version had a bunch of them. Disappointing. Maybe I can reinstall the old version somehow from my Play Store history.

Supposedly Asmodee is working on Munchkin for Android, but based on this I'm not optimistic. Any good standalone card games for android though? Someone recommended Exploding Kittens to me but I'd like some more Goon opinions.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Onirim is a solo card game that works much better digitally anyway, because it involves a *lot* of shuffling.
Underhand is also single-player and it's kind-of a light CYOA/rogue-like thing that's a bit hard to describe, but it's really pretty.
Androminion (not on the play store; google it) is a solid implementation of Dominion, albeit with really crappy AI, and it's unfortunately hard to set-up a multiplayer game.
Paperback is another deckbuilder, that involves scrabble-like word building, and has a great app, though a bit expensive.
Star Realms is yet another deckbuilder, albeit a bad one, but playing against the AI is fun in short 10 minute stretches.
Jaipur is a good implementation of a good 1v1 card game.

Since this whole question was based on Carcassonne, a board game that doesn't actually have any cards, I will also recommend Patchwork as my single favourite mobile board game implementation. Great 2 player game, with a great implementation, and a large enough population that you can basically always find a game.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

mrkillboy posted:

Shurado is a new timing-based fighter with pretty graphics and more than a passing resemblance to Dark Souls.

edit: it looks and runs like poo poo on a Galaxy S8.

Runs okay on my OP5 but it don't look that great. Also the souls in the game double up as your health so that kinda sucks.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I played it for a bit but I can't figure out how to spend souls. So you just go til you die. With unlock sword boxes? Seems like in needs a lot of refinement to make it into something you want to play.

shinymodem
May 21, 2007
Money matches are back for a day in the muscle hustle! pro-tip: buy 10 contracts for 45 gold and convert it to 30k hustlebucks if you have as little a life as I do! My code is 323427.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Anyone playing the Sword Art Online game?

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
are there any good CoC/ timer base buildng clones that are new and fun to play?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm having a time with DomiNations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I decided to check out DOKDO after seeing it constantly recommended to me in the Play Store. It's a game where you sail around a low poly ocean, blowing up boats in order to take over islands. It's actually pretty chill.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This Clone Evolution game has the worst feature of any game ever. When you change phones, you have to go through the entire tutorial again.

Just let me log in immediately holy poo poo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there an HQ Trivia thread anywhere on here?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Is there an HQ Trivia thread anywhere on here?

Please tell me how this game works.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
How would an HQ Trivia thread even work??

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Please tell me how this game works.

Every 3pm EST and 9pm EST there is a live trivia show with a cash prize usually of $1000. 12 questions start from stupid easy then ramps right up to trim the herd. If you make it to the last question and get it right you get a share of the pot. You can cash out to paypal minimum of $20 withdrawal.

It blew up in popularity and its essentially propreitary streaming tech which can't handle the load of like 500k to 700k people at once so it's super laggy and a bit of a mess. Otherwise it's pretty harmless and fun.

pappawurm
Feb 9, 2014
I saw an add for a D&D type board game. The reviews killed it and say it was misleading and a cash grab. It got me thinking how much I missed those old D&D style board games. I searched rpg and am swamped with games. Anyone have recommendations for a board game style rpg?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

How would an HQ Trivia thread even work??

Every 3pm EST and 9pm EST there is a live trivia show with a cash prize usually of $1000. 12 questions start from stupid easy then ramps right up to trim the herd. If you make it to the last question and get it right you get a share of the pot. You can cash out to paypal minimum of $20 withdrawal.

It blew up in popularity and its essentially propreitary streaming tech which can't handle the load of like 500k to 700k people at once so it's super laggy and a bit of a mess. Otherwise it's pretty harmless and fun.

Ok, cool thanks! This is what I thought, and I would've played it already, except it was crashing constantly and taking control of my media volume. That's likely from me allowing it to, but I'm way too used to apps not loving around like that.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A port of Victorian era turn-based strategy game Antihero is out now for Android.

Also out is Godzill.io, which you could basically describe as a cutesy top down version of Evolve. It seems pretty cool.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

pappawurm posted:

I saw an add for a D&D type board game. The reviews killed it and say it was misleading and a cash grab. It got me thinking how much I missed those old D&D style board games. I searched rpg and am swamped with games. Anyone have recommendations for a board game style rpg?

Warhammer Quest was okay? Not super great but enjoyable enough. Not sure what it costs right now I got it on sale

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

pappawurm posted:

Yeah that ad pisses me off, they make it look like a sweet board game when it's just another stupid gacha hero fighting game. Should be against Google's ToS to misrepresent your product like that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Den Of Defiance is currently in Unreleased Alpha Testing.

This plays very similar to Dungeon Raid. At the moment, it doesn't seem like there are any classes or skills, and the only upgrades you can buy are for +Armor, +Armor Durability, and +Gold. It's free, with no IAPs (at least for right now. Who knows what final release will bring?), though there are ads every time you die and tap on Restart. However, as of right now, the Skip Ad button can be tapped on before the ad video ever loads, and takes you to the screen where you can go get the app (which is just Android Test App :iiam:) or exit the ad.

It's not Dungeon Raid 2, but it's probably as close as we'll ever get. :smith:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Why isn't there a Dungeon Raid 2 anyway. That game owned and seems ripe for iterative cloning into the ground like every other good mobile game.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Kiranamos posted:

Why isn't there a Dungeon Raid 2 anyway. That game owned and seems ripe for iterative cloning into the ground like every other good mobile game.

Because we can't have nice things in life. I know the dudes who made dungeon raid released a game on iOS called "I keep having this dream". Its supposed to have an android port at some point in the near future. It came out in 2016 so I can only assume it will arrive at the same time dungeon raid is patched or the sequel arrives

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Im late to the party but I'm Hustling my Muscles. ID:360425

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Are there any good games that have a darkest dungeon style look and or game play where you can create a character and level up?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm looking for a good Tetris/Tetris 2/Dr Mario/Puyo-Puyo experience. Any recommendations that's not loaded with F2P bullshit?

I'm ok with premium or 'pay to remove ads' (or legit free, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm looking for a good Tetris/Tetris 2/Dr Mario/Puyo-Puyo experience. Any recommendations that's not loaded with F2P bullshit?

I'm ok with premium or 'pay to remove ads' (or legit free, of course).

Puzzle Prism scratches that itch for me pretty well