Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

What ships from the new wave are cool and good? I want to start painting again and not have my efforts wasted

The Resistance bomber looks badass as the next-gen, beefy B-Wing, but the Silencer could be cool, if not needing a facelift because black, pointy ship looks so boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I bet the TIE Silencer would look rad in Veteran/Ace red

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Chill la Chill posted:

At least it's the one that looks like a mini lambda and not the Ye-4 or the missile boat. Still looks like a dumb generic 90s ship though. It belongs in BSG!

You say this as if it's a bad thing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love all of the First Order ships. They're all "like the original, but over-built to the point of hilarity."

Silencer: Like an Interceptor, but huge and angry
TIE/sf: Like a TIE fighter, but with all the guns and room for a gunner to shoot them
Upsilon: Like the Lambda, but huge and angry

It even extends to TLJ, where the First Order AT-AT things are like twice the size and angry.

And I know it's not canon, but the Punisher is totally what I imagine a First Order TIE Bomber to look like. Huge, and angry.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Insults to Gunboats are not tolerated in this thread, tia

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ConfusedUs posted:

I love all of the First Order ships. They're all "like the original, but over-built to the point of hilarity."

TIE/sf: Like a TIE fighter, but with all the guns and room for a gunner to shoot them

It even extends to TLJ, where the First Order AT-AT things are like twice the size and angry.

And I know it's not canon, but the Punisher is totally what I imagine a First Order TIE Bomber to look like. Huge, and angry.

I love the gorilla looking AT-ATs

Recoome posted:

I hate the bad looking Gunboats

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Recoome posted:

As 3 of them with harpoons + something gets more popular you to will insult them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Still won't be as obnoxious as Fat Han. I mean at surely you can block the Gunboats to try to gently caress up the process of locking/shooting or SLAMMIN' and shooting

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Christ, the walkers from TLJ are "All Terrain MegaCaliber Six"
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_MegaCaliber_Six

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Christ, the walkers from TLJ are "All Terrain MegaCaliber Six"
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_MegaCaliber_Six

Our snowspeeders can't take down walkers of that MegaCalibur!

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Thinking about flying this for a local store tournament:

Poe Dameron (PS9) - 43
Black One (1), R2-D2 (4), Advanced Optics (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2)

Lowhhrick - 34
Selflessness (1), C-3PO (3), Jan Ors (2)

AP-5 - 23
Weapons Engineer (3), M9-G8 (3), Pulsed Ray Shield (2)

Perma focus and a reroll from M9 lets Poe focus on mobility, the Wookie is there to tank shots, keep AP-5 alive, and synergize with coordinate to drop evades as necessary, and AP-5 has regen so that alongside the Wookie he doesn't die instantly. Thoughts?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Happylisk posted:

Poe Dameron (PS9) - 43
Black One (1), R2-D2 (4), Advanced Optics (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2)

Lowhhrick - 34

AP-5 - 23

Perma focus and a reroll from M9 lets Poe focus on mobility, the Wookie is there to tank shots, keep AP-5 alive, and synergize with coordinate to drop evades as necessary, and AP-5 has regen so that alongside the Wookie he doesn't die instantly. Thoughts?

Looks like a real pain in the rear end to me. I hate you already. However, I'd put real thought into dropping PRS on AP-5 for a bid. Your biggest weakness is alpha strikes and if you don't move last, PS11 imperials will let you go first, then take the lock on poe, and nuke him instantly.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

Quickdraw is fine (might want Harpoon instead of Cruise), but your gunboats are way too heavily loaded. You'll never use autoblaster, ion, AND the missiles in the same game.

You either want three Nu Squads with Harpoons/chips/title, or you want to go up to Rhos with Harpoons/chips/maybe extra munitions, and an EPT like predator or deadeye.

I'm not sure why Ion Cannon showed up, since that's not even in the list. Quirk of the list builder I guess. In any case, I re-built things.

98 points

PILOTS

Rho Squadron Veteran (30) x 2
Alpha-class Star Wing (21), Predator (3), OS-1 Arsenal Loadout (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Guidance Chips (0)

“Quickdraw” (38)
Special Forces TIE (29), Veteran Instincts (1), Fire-Control System (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Special Ops Training (0), Lightweight Frame (2)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ConfusedUs posted:

It's literally a plot point in The Last Jedi that the First Order spent so much of their time building the biggest and most intimidating ships they could that their navy is hugely ineffective.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

ConfusedUs posted:

Looks like a real pain in the rear end to me. I hate you already. However, I'd put real thought into dropping PRS on AP-5 for a bid. Your biggest weakness is alpha strikes and if you don't move last, PS11 imperials will let you go first, then take the lock on poe, and nuke him instantly.

Thanks for the advice! I'll take the bid and seek if the wookie is enough to keep ap-5 in the fight.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Happylisk posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'll take the bid and seek if the wookie is enough to keep ap-5 in the fight.

I think AP-5 will be fine with Selflessness + Low's evade. And if they spend all that effort killing him...okay?

Funzo posted:

I'm not sure why Ion Cannon showed up, since that's not even in the list. Quirk of the list builder I guess. In any case, I re-built things.

98 points

PILOTS

Rho Squadron Veteran (30) x 2
Alpha-class Star Wing (21), Predator (3), OS-1 Arsenal Loadout (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Guidance Chips (0)

“Quickdraw” (38)
Special Forces TIE (29), Veteran Instincts (1), Fire-Control System (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Special Ops Training (0), Lightweight Frame (2)

I like it. You'll have the PS advantage against QuickDraw+3 Nus, so you should be able to kill one before it fires, which is good. You'll have PS advantage against wookiee lists too, which is also important.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Happylisk posted:

Poe Dameron (PS9) - 43

Lowhhrick - 34

AP-5 - 23

I play that AP-5 (minus PRS) with 2 TLT Ys and a mid range T-70. I just fly AP off like the focus factory ship in Paratani 2.0 and if people wanna waste time chasing him down thats fine.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I love the gorilla looking AT-ATs

I hate the bad looking Gunboats

I'm just super happy they chose to go with the cool render some onlinemen made of it with like the narrower fuselage rather than the blocky 90s nonsense of the one in TIE Fighter

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

flightless greeb posted:

I'm just super happy they chose to go with the cool render some onlinemen made of it with like the narrower fuselage rather than the blocky 90s nonsense of the one in TIE Fighter

I will agree with that much

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
If the Resistance Bomber squads are all "C" colours would their version of Green Squadron be Chartreuse Squadron?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

If the Resistance Bomber squads are all "C" colours would their version of Green Squadron be Chartreuse Squadron?

Cut-grass

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Happylisk posted:

Poe Dameron (PS9) - 43

Lowhhrick - 34

AP-5 - 23

I got pretty beat up on by a similar list with Poe, Low and Fenn Rau ps11 with Hotshot copilot. The shuttle is obnoxious.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Happylisk posted:

Poe Dameron (PS9) - 43

Lowhhrick - 34

AP-5 - 23

I tried this in a couple of casual games and it did really well. Both times, they were focusing on AP-5 while the rest of my list slowly chewed through theirs. Chopper would eat the guidance chips and then murder the Tactician if I needed to recover a shield.

Braylen Stram (29)
Title, Tactician, R3-A2

Jess Pava (28)
Integrated Astromech, M9-G8

Kashyyyk Defender (25)
Wookie Commandos

AP-5 (18)
Guidance Chips, Tactician, Chopper

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Haven't touched this in ages and going to try to get some friends into it. I don't have copies of any of my lists and own pretty much everything for Rebels and Imperials through wave 8. Anyone have some easy lists to throw together? Can I still pretty much just kit out a TIE Advance or triple X Wing and call it a day for people learning the game?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nephzinho posted:

Haven't touched this in ages and going to try to get some friends into it. I don't have copies of any of my lists and own pretty much everything for Rebels and Imperials through wave 8. Anyone have some easy lists to throw together? Can I still pretty much just kit out a TIE Advance or triple X Wing and call it a day for people learning the game?

That's fine for learning the game. Honestly the rulebook game of one X-Wing vs 2 TIEs is still just about the best "first game" experience you can get. I run it twice: once without actions or rocks, once with actions and rocks.

Then every game after that try adding a new ship with some kind of new mechanic.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

triple X Wing

:swoon:

I haven't had a chance to play an X-Wing with a Flight Assist Astromech. How are those fairing so far?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Icon Of Sin posted:

:swoon:

I haven't had a chance to play an X-Wing with a Flight Assist Astromech. How are those fairing so far?

It's pretty nasty on Wedge, Wes, or other high-PS Xs. Makes them much, much harder to arc dodge and gives them an opportunity to dodge themselves. It's not as good as a true unconditional boost/roll, of course, but it's something.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
How mean are First Order Tie lists? I know that the general meta is all imperial lists basically need Quickdraw, but how viable is it to make a First Order Tie Swarm?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Paranoid Dude posted:

How mean are First Order Tie lists? I know that the general meta is all imperial lists basically need Quickdraw, but how viable is it to make a First Order Tie Swarm?

I've done terrible things with an FO crack swarm. Omega Leader (Juke/Comm Relay) and 4x Omega Squadron pilots with Crack Shot can be hilarious for whoever's flying it, and it comes in at 98/100. I think my nastiest in terms of damage output was the top 4 FO pilots, though.

Omega Leader (Juke, Comm Relay)
Omega Ace (Swarm Leader, Advanced Optics)
Zeta Leader (Outmaneuver, Comm Relay)
Zeta Ace (Veteran Instincts, Comm Relay)
99/100

Power up those Comm Relays/Advanced Optics in the first round, point Omega Ace at some unlucky bastard, and unload 4-5 crits directly in their face as soon as he can pull a target lock. Each of one of them is still mean on their own, but OA is the hammer that that gimmick list is built around.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Paranoid Dude posted:

I haven't flown it in a long time, so it may not be viable anymore, but I remember really enjoying this list:

Darth Vader (29)
Juke (2)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
Stealth Device (3)
TIE/x1 (0)

Omega Squadron Pilot (17)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm pretty sure that, for the first time since I started playing X-Wing, I'm about to mainline the Rebel faction. Imperials are either too fragile or get into situations where they can't kill tankier lists...or rely on high PS alpha strikes which are boring to play as. Scum doesn't have any new tricks that interest me as much as mindlink shenanigans.

But Rebels...they got the firepower, the health, and the jank to be interesting.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm pretty sure that, for the first time since I started playing X-Wing, I'm about to mainline the Rebel faction. Imperials are either too fragile or get into situations where they can't kill tankier lists...or rely on high PS alpha strikes which are boring to play as. Scum doesn't have any new tricks that interest me as much as mindlink shenanigans.

But Rebels...they got the firepower, the health, and the jank to be interesting.

Rebels play in a style that's most interesting to me.

Most of your big decisions happen in the dial phase and a Rebel game is about positioning and maneuvering jousters. Even the regen stuff is kinda fun, because it feels like you're adding a resource that you can spend/draw down on. It gets screwy on stuff like R5-P9 Poe or TLT Miranda when there's pretty much no tradeoff or downside to regen.
The core mechanic I enjoy most in X-Wing is positioning and guessing/bluffing moves. (although, the most successful rebel lists of recent days rely on that very little.)

For example:

Speaking of, what jacks up 4 wookiees? Harpoons seem OK, but chances are you need at least 3 harpoons to splash a 9hp+reinforce wookiee. Then best case, you've killed one and you have three 7hp ships with reinforce still kickin' around and unless you brought gunboats, you're probably out of harpoons now and might not have a lot of great options to kill the 3 remaining super B-wings with giant arcs.
Tractor beams seem good, to drop a Wookiee on a rock during the combat phase so they can't shoot (and hopefully put them over the rock the next activation phase so they can't reinforce).
Bombs, I guess?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

canyoneer posted:

Most of your big decisions happen in the dial phase and a Rebel game is about positioning and maneuvering jousters. Even the regen stuff is kinda fun, because it feels like you're adding a resource that you can spend/draw down on. It gets screwy on stuff like R5-P9 Poe or TLT Miranda when there's pretty much no tradeoff or downside to regen.
The core mechanic I enjoy most in X-Wing is positioning and guessing/bluffing moves. (although, the most successful rebel lists of recent days rely on that very little.)

For example:

Speaking of, what jacks up 4 wookiees? Harpoons seem OK, but chances are you need at least 3 harpoons to splash a 9hp+reinforce wookiee. Then best case, you've killed one and you have three 7hp ships with reinforce still kickin' around and unless you brought gunboats, you're probably out of harpoons now and might not have a lot of great options to kill the 3 remaining super B-wings with giant arcs.
Tractor beams seem good, to drop a Wookiee on a rock during the combat phase so they can't shoot (and hopefully put them over the rock the next activation phase so they can't reinforce).
Bombs, I guess?

I haven't tried it out myself yet, but my guess is that multiple TLTs would do well against a lot of Wookie lists.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Quad Wookiees is just such a slog to fight. I didn't think something could be more boring than 4x TLTs but it happened.

QuickDraw + 3 Gunboats does a pretty good job against it, since they get multiple harpoon missiles off. Bombs are OK. Dash does a pretty good job, as do TLTs.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Anything that screws with dice results too. Sensor Jammers, Juke, Crack Shot, etc. If they’re reinforcing, they don’t have a focus to use on anything and abusing that seems like a decent way around them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Happylisk posted:

Poe Dameron (PS9) - 43

Lowhhrick - 34

AP-5 - 23

I'm running something very similar. Hadn't thought about using Weapons Engineer on M9 to get the extra reroll but it's an interesting thought. Jan with regen Poe just feels like a sin.

Poe Dameron (PS9) - 43

Lowhhrick - 35
Draw Their Fire(1), Rey (2), Jan Ors (2), Targetting Computer (2)

AP-5 - 19
Inspiring Recruit (1), M9-G8 (3)

Currently I've been testing with Intensity, Primed, Flight Assist Autothrusters Snap which is HELLA fun but honestly probably not as good as the loving wookiee

I'm in a bit of an 'ugh I'm going to have to play something I actively dislike' rut again.

(Draw Their Fire over Selflessness to combat enemy Kylos, just by the by. I've lost twice to unlikely natural crits PS0ing Poe, and keeps a full 3 point bid which Poe REALLY wants)

canyoneer posted:

For example:

Bombs, I guess?

Focus one to death and run away until time, as long as you can lose fewer points. Their attacks really aren't that threatening and killing one of them is pretty easy.

Alternatively, block them and they evaporate.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

I recently started looking into a way to avoid "lost" tokens as a way to improve list-wide action efficiency. In other words: if a ship takes a focus or evade token, but never uses it, was that action wasted? Did it provide any benefit to your list? I feel that it *is* a waste.

Didn't take me long to realize that Swarm Leader is a really, really good upgrade to avoid lost tokens. It's traditionally an Imperial upgrade, but...what if it doesn't have to be? To make it work, all you really need is heavy offensive modification on a platform that won't die easily.

This lead me to Swarm Leader...Lowhhrick? With Maul and Ezra crew.

My first attempt was pairing him with Tank Rey
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!201:220,-1,200,63:2:27:U.128,m.12;251:219,165,250:-1:-1:&sn=Rey%20%2B%20Low&obs=

Results were really promising, and I'd feel comfortable taking this list to a regional. It's better than Rey + Rebel in most matchups. However, I felt that there were too many turns where I wasn't getting use of Swarm Leader because they were shooting at Rey.

Then a friend took it a step further, and hooooooly shiiiit.
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...m%20Leader&obs=

No token ever goes to waste. It's deceptively fast (even Low has a 5-forward). It doesn't have to fly in formation. It's got a late-game points fortress in Corran. All the ships are fairly hard to kill, with Rex being the only one likely to go down turn one to focus fire. And it throws a ton of red dice: Corran and Low hit like trucks with lots of dice and hefty modification.

I'm going to be testing this heavily online, and I may just have to buy a goddamned E-Wing.

Going back to this, I finally got to fly that second list IRL and bought an E-Wing. I think I'm in love.

I haven't felt this positive about a list since FennZuckMan

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There is a well-meant house rule tournament in my city this week that I can't help but think will turn into a rather one-sided clusterfuck.

-At least three ships in the list
-Rebels and Empire only
-Rebels can only use -wing ships, Empire can only use TIE ships.
-Only one of each ship type, the exceptions being X-Wings and T-70s are allowed two each, TIE fighters and TIE/fos are allowed three each

Can anyone think of a decent Rebel list that won't get owned by various Imperial triple ace/alpha strike/swarm/crack swarm lists?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hannibal Rex posted:

There is a well-meant house rule tournament in my city this week that I can't help but think will turn into a rather one-sided clusterfuck.

-At least three ships in the list
-Rebels and Empire only
-Rebels can only use -wing ships, Empire can only use TIE ships.
-Only one of each ship type, the exceptions being X-Wings and T-70s are allowed two each, TIE fighters and TIE/fos are allowed three each

Can anyone think of a decent Rebel list that won't get owned by various Imperial triple ace/alpha strike/swarm/crack swarm lists?

I feel like VI Quickdraw, VI Vader, VI Tomax or Inquisitor (all with harpoon missiles) is gonna eat that format alive. Just murder it, unless someone deliberately techs to beat it.

Need a way to shed the target locks, which means VI Poe with Black One and AT LEAST a 3 point bid (the imps will probably have a 2 point bid).
Need a way to spread the damage around, which means Selflessness, since there's no wookiees and biggs is bad now. Probably Jess Pava with EPT droid.
Add in some control...stresshog?

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...20Squadron&obs=

Honestly this doesn't look terrible even without the restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BR0ME0
Apr 6, 2010
I'm going to be trying this out for a fun 1v1 game with a friend, and I'm aiming for an area denial style, where I have maximum coverage from different angles.

I'm hesitant to put so many points in an arc, but flying it with an auzi and sheath, plus it's action options with PTL, Katarn, and Jan on the Auzi, it seems to have some pretty sweet synergy!

Thoughts?

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...=Wookipede&obs=

• Locked thread