Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wouldn't say Boss Baby is mediocre. It's really zany and there's some great visual direction. I mean it's still not good, or even non-bad, but it's waayyy more interesting than something like Rio 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rotten Tomatoes rates it pretty highly. It's Dubai's first CG feature so some of the scenes when there are crowds looks janky. The scenes with the mom and the kids looked pretty good though. And the voice acting sounds good.

I laughed the other day when I saw Boss Baby Oscar Nomination ads plastered all over Cartoon Brew.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The fact that it went to the trouble of making this weird mythology about a war between babies and puppies and an entire secret baby dimension that is also a corporation and secret formulas for immortality and super intelligence is enough to keep it from ever being truly mediocre because at least they tried and took some risks and had some creativity behind it. They could have just sleepwalked through the whole thing and made The Secret Life of Pets: Babies Edition or something and probably made more money by being completely unexceptional.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Boss Baby needs to be understood in the context of Pick's "grid-o-movie-talk".

It scores low in, you know, generic quality, but relatively high on interest. There's another axis for personal enjoyment but no need to get into that.

I believe only movies in the red zone are truly not worth watching. Movies in the very top-right are masterpieces and though a masterpiece is, well, a masterpiece, a film doesn't have to be a masterpiece. Stuff in the other quadrants can be worth it too; from there it's individual taste. Also note that the midpoint is not average. Most films are solidly in the suck zone, but they're like Space Chimps 2 or w/e and I'm not going to peg a scale to space chimps.

Pick fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 3, 2018

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Now I'm curious how far off to the left Bee Movie is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shadow Hog posted:

Now I'm curious how far off to the left Bee Movie is.

I don't want to include it because it is extremely bad and deeply unenjoyable but sort of interesting in how wildly and aggressively bad it is. It's not quite tedious-bad, which is a special flavor of badness that I think more people tend to agree on. Like, Troll in Central Park is just a piece of poo poo. I've never met anyone who will defend it, and hardly anyone who can remember it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
gently caress you, Treasure Planet rules

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pick posted:

Boss Baby needs to be understood in the context of Pick's "grid-o-movie-talk".

It scores low in, you know, generic quality, but relatively high on interest. There's another axis for personal enjoyment but no need to get into that.

I believe only movies in the red zone are truly not worth watching. Movies in the very top-right are masterpieces and though a masterpiece is, well, a masterpiece, a film doesn't have to be a masterpiece. Stuff in the other quadrants can be worth it too; from there it's individual taste. Also note that the midpoint is not average. Most films are solidly in the suck zone, but they're like Space Chimps 2 or w/e and I'm not going to peg a scale to space chimps.

Am I misreading this grid or do you hate Toy Story 2, Bolt, and Sleeping Beauty?

I'm curious!

Also Lion King isn't as good as Trolls? REALLY? ...Is Trolls that good?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ultra Carp

ThermoPhysical posted:

Am I misreading this grid or do you hate Toy Story 2, Bolt, and Sleeping Beauty?

I'm curious!

I think she's saying that they're fundamentally less interesting films that nevertheless were executed well, as opposed to films with more interesting concepts or premises that were executed poorly (Such as Treasure Planet or, say, Titan AE)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're in the good half, so she thinks they're good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think she's saying that they're fundamentally less interesting films that nevertheless were executed well, as opposed to films with more interesting concepts or premises that were executed poorly (Such as Treasure Planet or, say, Titan AE)

Yep. I'm only down on the red zone films.

I mean I think Sleeping Beauty is a lovely film, but without that art direction, would it be a good film? Like based on its script and theme and plot? Because those all hit me as pretty weak.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 3, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm curious!

Haha Trolls is not that good. But it's good. It's in the upper-right quadrant, but not up there with, say, Princess Mononoke.

I think Toy Story 2 is bland as a wet sack and not very interesting.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also, I ain't got time to up a new thread proper. Leaving the reigns to whomever fancies being the new OP.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If ya'll do a new thread, can you include all the sweet music videos I look for while I'm blasted? Those were good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pick posted:

I don't want to include it because it is extremely bad and deeply unenjoyable but sort of interesting in how wildly and aggressively bad it is. It's not quite tedious-bad, which is a special flavor of badness that I think more people tend to agree on. Like, Troll in Central Park is just a piece of poo poo. I've never met anyone who will defend it, and hardly anyone who can remember it.

see also: Foodfight, which is absolutely bad, but is definitely not boring, but is also literally a movie starring a bunch of advertising characters in a ripoff of Casablanca, which is definitely unimaginative, but also the generic brands are nazis which is nothing if not interesting.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

The fact that it went to the trouble of making this weird mythology about a war between babies and puppies and an entire secret baby dimension that is also a corporation and secret formulas for immortality and super intelligence

Everything I hear about this movie sounds utterly nightmarish. I imagine it as being like Gilliam's Brazil but with babies, and maybe a dash of Eraserhead.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Moon Atari posted:

Everything I hear about this movie sounds utterly nightmarish. I imagine it as being like Gilliam's Brazil but with babies, and maybe a dash of Eraserhead.

This is what happens when you start with a book about a cute little metaphor and need a 2 hour runtime out of it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Moon Atari posted:

It would be a more interesting movie if it was. It really is just kinda nothing.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I want to see this primarily because the hero is of darker complexion than the villain.

Edit: Oh, it's that Bilal. No wonder he's dark brown! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilal_ibn_Rabah

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 3, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It would be a more interesting movie if it was. It really is just kinda nothing.

I am thiiiis close to buying it so I can rip and post the first abacus scene about love. I think that scene is really effectively interesting.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Barbie dtv movie status report: So far, Barbie in the Pink Shoes is the second at least nominally above average Barbie movie I've seen. Choice line from when Barbs gets transported into an enchanted adaptation of Giselle and Albrecht and Hilarion are vying for her hand in marriage:

Barbs: "Woah, hold on! I'm not getting married, I'm only seventeen!"
Albrecht: "Seventeen? Better late than never, my sweet."
Hilarion: "You don't look a day over sixteen."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barbie is 17?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

ImpAtom posted:

Barbie is 17?

You have to remember that there's always this implied, non-diegetic frame narrative where Barbie is just an actress, so it's really more like she's in her mid-'20s and playing 17.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Animaniacs is coming back in 2020 to Hulu! Steven Spielberg is directing again! I know this isn't a movie but I remember the video Unmature did on YouTube and this is the only place I know he frequents. :v:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's going to be weird when Animaniacs makes some sick burns to the Trump administration

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's going to be weird when Animaniacs makes some sick burns to the Trump administration

I can't wait.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/keelyflaherty/ready-yourselves-theres-gonna-be-an-animaniacs-reboot/

I know. It's Buzzfeed, but they were the only ones talking about it in my e-mail this morning and I'm on mobile.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Short animated classic of the day is Winsor McCay's How a Mosquito Operates (1912) https://archive.org/details/WinsorMcCay1912HowAMosquitoOperates

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Steven Spielberg is directing again!

I don't think he ever directed Animaniacs, just produced.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Revisiting Animaniacs as an adult a lot of the non-Warners/Pinky and the Brain/Good Idea Bad Idea don't hold up at all but the production values are still great for the time. Like, I hope that them being on Hulu means they're still going to have a full orchestra scoring everything and that great hand-drawn style instead of the same "flat colors and thin lines, fluid movement low detail" look that every other cartoon made this decade uses.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

They thought pointing out that Bill Clinton played the saxophone was such comedy gold that they made it part of the theme song that played before every single episode for its entire run.

Also it's going to premiere in 2020 so by the time it airs all that time spent thinking of things that rhyme with orange will age about as well as having one of the recurring segments of the original one be a Goodfellas parody.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Mann posted:

Also it's going to premiere in 2020 so by the time it airs all that time spent thinking of things that rhyme with orange will age about as well as having one of the recurring segments of the original one be a Goodfellas parody we'll all be dead or dying from nuclear radiation after Trump drops the bombs.

What rhymes with hematopoietic syndrome? :v:

Can't wait for the song about which countries got bombed out of existence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNUDDaEOvuY

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Chicken Boo is timeless.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Really the only truly bad segments were the Hip Hippos (Which they realized quickly and sidelined them to background characters), and Katie Kaboom - which the entire and only joke is 'ha ha, Teenage Girls are insane, amiright?'

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

Really the only truly bad segments were the Hip Hippos (Which they realized quickly and sidelined them to background characters), and Katie Kaboom - which the entire and only joke is 'ha ha, Teenage Girls are insane, amiright?'

katie kaboom was a spinoff from chicken boo, who was the best character.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Can't wait for the song about which countries got bombed out of existence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNUDDaEOvuY

The composer for Animaniacs does updated versions of the Yakko's World song and he and Rob Paulsen perform them at nerd conventions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_nYj2uB0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5YM6jqbUXE

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't recall hearing about either of these movies here, but Filmspotting pointed me towards them so I will share them with the thread because these seem like cool and good movies.

Mary and the Witch's Flower, which is based on what remains of Studio Ghibli if the style didn't make that immediately obvious. Given how good When Marnie Was There was, I'm optimistic that these talented individuals can make a good movie without Miyazaki or Takahata:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqUKano2Hm4

The Breadwinner, which is from the studio that brought us The Book of Kells and Song of the Sea. It takes us from fantastical Ireland to, uh, Taliban controlled Afghanistan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqC0CtCzav8

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

While searching for a movie to stream for my toddler sons, I happened upon a movie available for free on Amazon Prime.

Foodfight.

Yes, THAT Foodfight. Why the HELL is it under the Kids movies section?!

quote:

Genres: Fantasy, Action, Comedy, Kids & Family

Oh. Oh dear.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

DTaeKim posted:

While searching for a movie to stream for my toddler sons, I happened upon a movie available for free on Amazon Prime.

Foodfight.

Yes, THAT Foodfight. Why the HELL is it under the Kids movies section?!

Oh. Oh dear.

Are you making the mistake I always make and mixing up Sausage Party and Foodfight?
I still sure as hell wouldn't show a kid Foodfight but it's still a "kids" movie :smith:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, Foodfight has a lot of jokes that really is not appropriate for a family audience (and being too in your face about it, especially the racist sex jokes), but it's still rated as a kid's a movie.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Nope, it's not Sausage Party. I watched the beginning to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Imagine watching this when it's advertised next to Thomas the Tank Engine and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood.

Some poor grandfather posted a review starting he streamed this for his grandchildren between the ages of 5 and 12 and the 5-year old asked to turn it off because it was real bad. Luckily they stopped before the REAL risque stuff started.

Amazon gave me $5 credit for mentioning this and said they will examine it. I doubt anything will happen but I probably should screenshot it for posterity's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

They thought pointing out that Bill Clinton played the saxophone was such comedy gold that they made it part of the theme song that played before every single episode for its entire run.
We're Animaniacs!
Dot is cute and Yakko yaks,
Wakko packs away the snacks
While Trump pushes his "alt facts"
We're Animaniacs!

...They actually didn't use the Clinton line beyond Season 1, apparently, replacing it later with:

• We've got wisecracks by the stacks. (Season 2)
  • We pay tons of income tax. (Seasons 3-5)
  • We've got millions by the books. (Episode 100)

That last line doesn't even rhyme, though.