Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Playable sload and hist, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

MrTargetPractice posted:

Is "Map layout and design" a position anyone has heard of in the game industry? I sure haven't. Sounds like someone made a profile for the equivalent of their uncle that works at Nintendo.

Someone’s gotta do it, right? It makes sense to me that it’d be its own thing. I have no personal games industry experience though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Map Layout and Design is a really verbose way of saying Level Designer.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Playable hist, tia.

So, a TES RTS where you use psychic magic to make your lizardfolk do stuff

As an aside I like that the official lore of the oblivion event is "Yeah, empire hosed up bad and almost summoned an apocalypse because the blades couldn't find the snowcone hair elf worshippers. It's ok though; while the bastard son emperor killed himself to make up for being tardy on fixing the seal the swamp trees psychically Recall to Manufacturer'd the argonians back to the black marsh to kick Oblivion's rear end so hard that the *daedra* wanted to close the gates. Offscreen.

A lot of people dont want to be ruled by the empire anymore, no clue why."

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I know this isn’t mod discussion but please let me play a sload already. Too many sex mods and going to waste.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Doc Hawkins posted:

Playable sload and hist, tia.

who would want to actually play as a tree?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Freakazoid_ posted:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Freakazoid_ posted:

I would play the gently caress out of a tactics game where I’m tree that controls and tactically buffs a small squadron of argonian guerrillas as they fight off dunmer slavers and imperial invaders.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

A flock of birds that nest in your crown to attack your enemies.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44762/

everyone

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

As a guy who has modded Oblivion and Skyrim quite extensively, I also want to do this for Morrowind to some extent. However, while MGSO is an easy to follow guide and download, it is prone to bad performance and crashing. Also, I think it goes quite beyond improving the game, adding some seriously dumb looking faces for example, and I am pretty sure one NPC had the face of Olivia Wilde and another Macgyver. What I want is:

-A solid mod manager for Morrowind with bashed patch and load order sorting
-Some lighting fixes (Either MGE XE or OpenMW)
-Watercolor v2. with some textures to overwrite it such as signposts, faces, fire, water etc.
-Any quality of life mods or ini changes provided by MGSO.
-Tamriel rebuilt
-Rebalance of end game bosses, cant find them now, but seems like someone made those mods for a good reason

This should make the game playable with good performance and none of the MGSO 3.0 sillyness.

Any help I can receive would be appreciated as I am in partly unknown territory here.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Midig posted:

As a guy who has modded Oblivion and Skyrim quite extensively, I also want to do this for Morrowind to some extent. However, while MGSO is an easy to follow guide and download, it is prone to bad performance and crashing. Also, I think it goes quite beyond improving the game, adding some seriously dumb looking faces for example, and I am pretty sure one NPC had the face of Olivia Wilde and another Macgyver. What I want is:

-Watercolor v2. with some textures to overwrite it such as signposts, faces, fire, water etc.
-Tamriel rebuilt
-Rebalance of end game bosses, cant find them now, but seems like someone made those mods for a good reason

This should make the game playable with good performance and none of the MGSO 3.0 sillyness.

Any help I can receive would be appreciated as I am in partly unknown territory here.

Sounds like you know what you want and should download them? Search my recent posts I made some big effort post, replace the texture mods with watercolor.

Morrowind mods don't need the tender care skyrim mods do. Drag and drop, otherwise you want wrye mash. Mash lets you redate mods manually which isn't important except in super obvious cases where you want patches after the base mods. Mlox is LOOT except for morrowind.

Dngdr is the end boss rebalance but unless you've played morrowind don't bother yet

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Sounds like you know what you want and should download them? Search my recent posts I made some big effort post, replace the texture mods with watercolor.

Morrowind mods don't need the tender care skyrim mods do. Drag and drop, otherwise you want wrye mash. Mash lets you redate mods manually which isn't important except in super obvious cases where you want patches after the base mods. Mlox is LOOT except for morrowind.

Dngdr is the end boss rebalance but unless you've played morrowind don't bother yet

Still. MGE XE or OpenMW? I heard you can play multiplayer with OpenMW which sounds loving awesome.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Midig posted:

Still. MGE XE or OpenMW? I heard you can play multiplayer with OpenMW which sounds loving awesome.

OpenMW itself doesn't have multiplayer; it's a fork of OpenMW called TES3MP that does.

MGE XE is more complicated to install (especially if you want distant land rendering, as you need to make it generate the landscape) but also more powerful. Don't forget to also get the Morrowind Code Patch, too. OpenMW is the future, but it doesn't have all the scripting extensions that MGE-XE offers.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You want mgexe

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Midig posted:

-Tamriel rebuilt

imagine modding oblivion except the engine doesn't fall apart under mild stress without 5 anti-crash script extender plugins and the game is already good so big overhauls are unnecessary, and that's what morrowind modding is like

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Let's not go overboard here, the MW engine is still big B Bad. It lacks a lot of common sense solutions and implementations that were obvious even for its time.

Also the story and atmosphere is great but modding the combat isn't a bad idea at all.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Well. It seems like Morrowind has some of the same issues as Oblivion, such as that it is good to level endurance early since the more hp you have early the more you benefit from it each level. Also, strength is usually a bad skill compared to agility, so maybe I will add some fixes. At the very least I want to be able to cast spells while wielding weapons, if only to make my life easier even if it is not balanced.

I am most concerned with how load order, bug fixes, Bashed Patch (Heard you use Wrye Mash here though), MGE XE, OpenMW works etc.

I have not played a lot of Morrowind. But from my brief experience with MGSO I found stealth to be quite tedious and exploitive at the same time. Just like Oblivion spellsword seems like the way to go.

EDIT:

Also, one more thing. I want good water, but I don't need good LOD. In fact, I prefer a bit foggy distant view since it makes the world feel a bit larger.

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 1, 2018

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
MCP has a quick casting component that allows you to cast spells oblivion style. Make sure you get the easier spell selection module too - it lets you type the first letter of spells to select them.

Strength is massively superior to agility in Morrowind. Agility gives approx +1% to hit and dodge per 5 points, whereas every point in strength increases your physical damage by +1%. It also increases your carry weight and movement speed too.

The most effective thing you can do before combat in Morrowind is to get shitfaced on sujamma.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

"I have not played a lot of morrowind"

"I want overhauls that completely rework how attributes work"

Dude play the game lmao

Morrowind ain't hard, in a handful of hours you'll be melting gods with an iron hammer and that's why it's good

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Dude play the game lmao

Morrowind ain't hard, in a handful of hours you'll be melting gods with an iron hammer and that's why it's good

I got to level 20 and I started owning poo poo by right clicking. As you said it is not a hard game and I want to fix that.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
There’s no way to fix the combat in Morrowind. It’s something that I’ve thought about a lot, and you’d pretty much have to turn it in to a completely different game to do so.

You can make certain tweaks, like adjusting spell effect values, skill progression, items or using the overbuff mod to delay overpoweredneas but you’re never going to make it balanced. Just enjoy it for what it is and roleplay some restrictions on your character if you want to make things a bit more difficult.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Midig posted:

I got to level 20 and I started owning poo poo by right clicking. As you said it is not a hard game and I want to fix that.

You killed stuff by opening your menu? :O I didn't know it was that bugged.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dude play the game lmao

the +s system is awful. it has always been awful and will always be awful. the extremely simple fix that all of those mods make that just ties attributes to skills directly is how the game should have always worked.

Neurolimal posted:

Let's not go overboard here, the MW engine is still big B Bad. It lacks a lot of common sense solutions and implementations that were obvious even for its time.

Also the story and atmosphere is great but modding the combat isn't a bad idea at all.

it is bad but any attempt to make a modlist that makes oblivion actually good is an extremely long slog, because every single aspect of the game must be changed somehow. morrowind starts from a place where an "overhaul" is a mod for a single system, or a couple of systems. oblivion overhaul mods change everything, and must be layered over each other in very specific orders to get a game that is good at the end of the process

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ok. I tried to download texture mods, but I can't find the textures or meshes folder in the data files section. WTF!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Midig posted:

Ok. I tried to download texture mods, but I can't find the textures or meshes folder in the data files section. WTF!

If you have a fresh install they don't exist, make them

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I did. It's working! BTW for people using STEAM version of Morrowind. If installing manually then you might have to change the date of the BSA files to 2002. I managed to do this with BulkFileChanger.

EDIT:

I loving snapped and deleted everything after trying to make MGE XE work for 3 hours. At least now I know what kind of setup I want though. This is more frustrating then modding Oblivion.

Midig fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 2, 2018

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I think I will just run MGSO 3.0 and manually delete most of the silly textures and mods I don't like. If that does not work I think I will actually move onto OpenMW.

EDIT:

Don't try to do this though. MGSO 3.0 File section is not set up in a neat manner.

Midig fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 3, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Midig posted:

I think I will just run MGSO 3.0 and manually delete most of the silly textures and mods I don't like. If that does not work I think I will actually move onto OpenMW.

lol what

MGEXE is literally drag and drop, what is going wrong for you

this is miles better than modding oblivion or skyrim, your experience is NOT NORMAL

googling "morrowind modding steam"

quote:

You need to redate the BSA files. Simply running the Code Patch once will do this for you.
You need to disable the Steam Overlay for MGE to work. Uncheck the "Enable Steam Community In-Game" in the Steam properties for Morrowind.

:confused: why would you dick around for three hours when the answer is literally the top google result

mbt fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 3, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

this is miles better than modding oblivion or skyrim, your experience is NOT NORMAL

I started this whole exchange super confused because I thought:

Midig posted:

As a guy who has modded Oblivion and Skyrim quite extensively,
meant created mods, and that vague impression never properly left me.

But I'm someone who never quite caught on to this whole mod-manager business. :v:

Speaking of good water and living in the past (and I apologize if I've asked this here before): is there any way to get Morrowind's original fancy water graphics to work with the modern hacks (or recreations, in OpenMW's case) of the engine? I think I remember reading something about some fundamental incompatibility between pixel shader water and whatever else; even some inexact recreation of how it looked back in 2003, combined with the features from MGE-XE, would be great.

Or should I give up hope (or give up fancy shaders and distant land)?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Speaking of good water and living in the past (and I apologize if I've asked this here before): is there any way to get Morrowind's original fancy water graphics to work with the modern hacks (or recreations, in OpenMW's case) of the engine? I think I remember reading something about some fundamental incompatibility between pixel shader water and whatever else; even some inexact recreation of how it looked back in 2003, combined with the features from MGE-XE, would be great.

Or should I give up hope (or give up fancy shaders and distant land)?

MGEXE has better water shaders than vanilla.

If it looks like this

or this

then MGEXE water shaders arent enabled

you want it to look like this

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

As for why I would dick around. I got carried away and pulled a modding all nighter. However, I actually did not know that the code patcher would back date my BSA. I used a program to to do so however, which you would have known if you read my post. I thought it was some kind of steam problem and tried to look for ways to fix it. Anyways, might also be the fact that MGSO requires you to turn off UAC, which probably was why MGE was not working, but it is just guesswork for me at this point. Point is that it is fixed. Shaders and LOD is up. Got Mlox, textures etc.

I hope that Tamriel Rebuilt and its DATA required file are drag and drops, besides that a few gameplay/bug fixes from STEP guide and I should legitimately be done with it. Anything you consider fun would be appreciated. I added a Corgi and a mod that makes a random Orc warrior more fierce in appearance and stats.

EDIT:

It seems like I cant get true windowed mode so I can go out of the game and to my other monitor. Not a total loss, but could make streaming easier. Also, the game crashes when I shut it down, which does not happen with Oblivion or Skyrim since I fixed it. Any way to solve these issues would be highly appreciated.

Midig fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 3, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Midig posted:

As for why I would dick around. I got carried away and pulled a modding all nighter. However, I actually did not know that the code patcher would back date my BSA. I used a program to to do so however, which you would have known if you read my post. I thought it was some kind of steam problem and tried to look for ways to fix it. Anyways, might also be the fact that MGSO requires you to turn off UAC, which probably was why MGE was not working, but it is just guesswork for me at this point. Point is that it is fixed. Shaders and LOD is up. Got Mlox, textures etc.

I hope that Tamriel Rebuilt and its DATA required file are drag and drops, besides that a few gameplay/bug fixes from STEP guide and I should legitimately be done with it. Anything you consider fun would be appreciated. I added a Corgi and a mod that makes a random Orc warrior more fierce in appearance and stats.

EDIT:

It seems like I cant get true windowed mode so I can go out of the game and to my other monitor. Not a total loss, but could make streaming easier. Also, the game crashes when I shut it down, which does not happen with Oblivion or Skyrim since I fixed it. Any way to solve these issues would be highly appreciated.

you have to add TR_data.bsa and PT_data.bsa in your morrowind.ini under archives, its detailed in the instructions, that's all TR installation requires on top of the drag/drop

id rec this if you arent using watercolored https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45384

fun mods
dungeons/experiences
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45229/
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45194
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45344
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43544 if you want Super Hard Endgame dungeon experience but be careful because its kinda hard and has a handful of instant death traps but other than that it's great!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvue75f0h9z3f1r/MRM-Non%20Pointy.rar?dl=0 makes red mountain truly a mountain, incompatible with the above endgame mod unless you use this patch which also eliminates the instant death traps
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9enxfodc9hd03b1/GDR%20NOSPERG.zip?dl=0

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I dont know if I want actual gameplay mods until I have completed the game. I just want silly things. I allow myself a few un lorefriendly treats when I have been so clever as to modify all the textures, fix bugs and lighting. I think you might like Tower of Vos BTW, definitely going for the Improved Red Mountain and this:

http://download.fliggerty.com/download-132-1018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay drat you all now I have to play Morrowind again. Myers-Briggs Testicle you mentioned a big summary of necessary mods, is this post it? Anything else people would recommend for a pretty standard just updated version of Morrowind? I have completed the main quest before so I probably will use that mod to make the endgame dungeons tougher as I remember them being pretty anticlimactic.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42190/
that to make running slightly faster and stamina work like you expect it to

morrowind code patch - make sure you enable swiftcasting
morrowind patch project
MGEXE - enable volumetric fog and set your resolution correctly.

I don't recommend MGSO because it's a huge pain and pretty outdated at this point. But if you want:
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-78-12231 - the main thing
http://download.fliggerty.com/download-13-726 - MGSO unofficial patch
http://download.fliggerty.com/download--852 - MGSO missing textures they forgot

also theres a whole still active morrowind modding thread

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

Myers-Briggs Testicle you mentioned a big summary of necessary mods, is this post it?

whoops it was in the morrowind thread, it's here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430891&userid=188957&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post473178289

use that list but install this mod first before the improved texture mods and you're golden
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45384

do not use MGSO lol

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is that big giant oblivion mod pack that Troll put together still floating around out there? And is there anything similar for Skyrim?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

MGEXE has better water shaders than vanilla.
Better, shmetter. It looks like this:

But I want it to look more like this:

I always took Morrowind's weird-looking water as just another aspect of the alien landscape, like the hosed-up trees or how there was super-dense fog in the distance even on a sunny day.

whoops it was in the morrowind thread, it's here:
Wait that's not where we are? Crap. I got confused.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

fun mods
dungeons/experiences
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45229/
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45194
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45344
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43544 if you want Super Hard Endgame dungeon experience but be careful because its kinda hard and has a handful of instant death traps but other than that it's great!

Thanks for these! My current fav character just hit lvl 37 (this is with Galsiah's character development mod, however), and she needs some new dungeons to delve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Vavrek posted:

I always took Morrowind's weird-looking water as just another aspect of the alien landscape, like the hosed-up trees or how there was super-dense fog in the distance even on a sunny day.

Maybe use a different texture for the water? Something with less alpha and more of a weird color to it, maybe. It would be even better to insert a body of colored hunk into certain areas of water to pass off as algal blooms or maybe even industrial pollution. I certainly would like the idea of the dark elves treating their sacred island like the river Ganges and just polluting the hell out of it in spite of its spiritual value.