Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

CelticPredator posted:

What’s the best thing to watch on prime that’s not exactly mainstream. Wanna watch more movies this year.

And I will watch.

Mr. Selfridge owns, not a movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I liked the new King Arthur. It's a loving travesty that it has like 29% on Rotten Tomatoes; at worst it's not any worse than a Marvel movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

porfiria posted:

I liked the new King Arthur. It's a loving travesty that it has like 29% on Rotten Tomatoes; at worst it's not any worse than a Marvel movie.

It's significantly better than a Marvel movie and also more or less a better/actually good version of Wonder Woman.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The best movie I’ve seen in 2018 is Death Rides a Horse. It’s also the only movie I’ve seen, but it does own quite a bit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

I've watched it 3 times.

It's pretty great.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I heard those potato chips are good. Please confirm.

porfiria posted:

My former lecturer watched it just for Charlie Hunnam. She also watched F8 of The Furious because of Scott Eastwood, which is like the last reason anyone would watch that movie.

edit:
https://twitter.com/classicryan17/status/948311385657827330

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm watching a movie called The Bank Dick on TCM right now and it owns. WC Fields fucks hard. Diamond hard! Attn: Egbert Souse - you gave good taste in namesakes.

I also just watched the new Garden Gnomes of The Galaxy and for some reason, probably boredom, spent the whole thing wondering if it was better or worse than the new Star Wars and somewhere between thinking better for its use of Fleetwood Mac and thinking worse for its use of Cat Stevens (I love Cat Stevens but this was egregious), I realized it didn't matter, because however my ad revenue/data-mining value/whatever it is Netflix and Moviepass use to profit off of my poo poo gets transferred upward, it all goes to the same god damned place. Pretty soon the mouse will lay claim to not only everything you like, but even the alternatives you've been considering liking instead, and also there will be an aerosmith roller coaster on every block. This has been a Nuanced Take from Beyond Sane Knolls.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The MSJ posted:

Kettle Chips are fantastic. My top rec is the Buffalo Bleu flavor followed by Jalapeño or Habanero

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The MSJ posted:

Can confirm. I've had various flavors throughout the years. The pepperoncini ones are amazing, as are the jalapeno and maple bacon ones.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

2018 just going for the throat right out of the gate, I see.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Budgie Jumping posted:

I'm watching a movie called The Bank Dick on TCM right now and it owns. WC Fields fucks hard. Diamond hard! Attn: Egbert Souse - you gave good taste in namesakes.

Fields movies generally own. I still need to see a few of the minor ones that he just co-starred in, but these are also great:

International House - Fields is "only" one of the stars. Also has Bela Lugosi, Cab Calloway (performing Reefer Man), George Burns and Gracie Allen, and lots of filthy pre-code dialogue. Fields looks through a keyhole at the hotel and just says, "What will they think of next?"

It's a Gift - Another great one. Seeing Fields get into a battle of wits with a child is pretty great. There's also a porch scene that just gets funnier the longer it goes on.

You're Telling Me! - Underrated comedy of errors. Also has Buster Crabbe in a small part. Fields also does his entire golf routine.

The Man on the Flying Trapeze - Only feature Fields himself directed (after the original one was fired). Surprisingly touching, with Fields playing it straight and just letting absurd actions be funny. Also has Grady Sutton in a funny part.

The Old Fashioned Way - Not really a comedy, but a nostalgic look at vaudeville. Fields does a serious re-enactment of a Temperance-era play and also his vaudeville juggling routine.

Never Give a Sucker an Even Break - Fields plays himself and he's trying to sell a new idea for a movie to the studio. The studio boss thinks it's awful, which leads to half of the movie being the movie as it's being read. Has sort of a Marx Brothers vibe, helped by a bit part by Margaret Dumont.

While he's not the star, his dramatic turn in David Copperfield is amazing. Great film, too.

Also, the short film The Fatal Glass of Beer is a masterpiece itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWW4-oBCzbQ

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Watching The Rambler '13. Calvin Reeder rules, he's like the strangest mix of Jean-Luc Godard and Ray Dennis Steckler.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Watching The Rambler '13. Calvin Reeder rules, he's like the strangest mix of Jean-Luc Godard and Ray Dennis Steckler.

I have more of a fondness for The Oregonian because i saw it extremely sleep deprived and it fuckin terrified me like few films have (plus I had the experience of strangers trying to warn me not to see it and making it sound AWESOME) but The Rambler is objectively the better, more assured film

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

glam rock hamhock posted:

I have more of a fondness for The Oregonian because i saw it extremely sleep deprived and it fuckin terrified me like few films have (plus I had the experience of strangers trying to warn me not to see it and making it sound AWESOME) but The Rambler is objectively the better, more assured film

See, I might disagree with you there. I think I like The Oregonian more, and would say it's the better film.

It's a hard toss, though, and when compared to the short subjects that inspired both films, it almost feels kind of uninspired for me to try and rank the two. Little Farm is just a masterpiece, and moving forward from that, at least as far as The Oregonian and The Rambler(s), it seems like each time Reeder has made a more refined film, but in the process of refining it they actually lose that sense of transgression that made Little Farm so endearing to me. In watching these four films, it's like I've witnessed the arc of a singular vision attempted multiple times, each with its own strengths and its own weaknesses, but where the trend is away from this audacious, incestuous nightmare to first a full-on remake of Carnival of Souls to something like this oddball fusion of Wim Wenders and John Landis.

Then again, what the Hell do I know, I have to be the only person in this thread who didn't care for The Procedure.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

K. Waste posted:

It's significantly better than a Marvel movie and also more or less a better/actually good version of Wonder Woman.

It's super hilarious how much more comfortable Guy Ritchie is with the London street scum than Jude Law's Dark Souls Magic Fortress but whatever it was a good way into the material.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hand Knit posted:

I saw I, Tonya today and I found it pretty disappointing. Like the movie draws attention to the fact that poverty and class and spectacle and national mythologizing has something to do with what we're seeing, but it never actually makes any comment. The overall effect is like the movie is asking us to laugh at how terrible the poors are, and how they're trying to be above their station. It's like some watched Fargo and their takeaway was that they should have a whole movie making fun of the girls who hosed Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare.

Are you sure about that? I cried during the movie because I felt bad for Tonya Harding being screwed over by her circumstances and everyone's prejudices

Yes they laugh at everyone in the first half of the movie, but that's just so they can pull out the rug from under you in the second half

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

porfiria posted:

It's super hilarious how much more comfortable Guy Ritchie is with the London street scum than Jude Law's Dark Souls Magic Fortress but whatever it was a good way into the material.

A big part of the film is just taking the piss out of contemporary fantasy franchises, kind of like Deadpool except instead of breaking the fourth wall the film is structured so that there's constant intercutting between past and present, present and future, what characters consider doing versus what they actually end up doing, etc. That's signature Ritchie, of course, but it's used nonetheless extensively in Legend of the Sword, and almost entirely in the service of exposition or, ironically, to actually 'fast forward' through parts where Arthur is ostensibly having some big turning point in his arc.

What makes it work - aside from Ritchie's exceptional action scenes - is that as much as the film is taking the piss, the point is actually that we shouldn't need Arthur to undergo some profound arc, that not just Jude Law but basically any other noblemen are a bunch of uppity cunts. It's a very cockney skinhead approach to Arthurian myth, where the classic monarchial cosmetics of them are rejected, whereas the reactionary 'might makes right' figure of Arthur is preserved because, ironically, though England is dreaming, the punks can not actually imagine a future.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Kettle Chips are fantastic. My top rec is the Buffalo Bleu flavor followed by Jalapeño or Habanero

Gonz posted:

Can confirm. I've had various flavors throughout the years. The pepperoncini ones are amazing, as are the jalapeno and maple bacon ones.

I checked the nearest stores and they only have Honey Dijon, Sea Salt, Backyard Barbecue, New York Cheddar, and Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper. Guess I have to try one of those.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

I remember someone who eventually became a thread regular mentioned that they started reading this thread right at the point of CPL wearing the shorts and my accompanying Dredd essay, which has to be an incredibly strange jumping-in point to an online community

That might have been me, in which case, thanks for calling me a thread regular. It’s not that much stranger than this forum generally, imo.
I get a significant portion of my news of the english-speaking world from this thread. I also feel a compulsion to read every single post, and as you can see I’m way behind so I guess I’ll see you in a month.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

porfiria posted:

I mean presumably he's talking about how Samuel L Jackson is portrayed as bad for wanting to fight Vietnam forever when, as everyone knows, it would be good to fight Vietnam forever.

Yeah, his complaints were that no military commander would act like that, they'd retreat to fight another day, and they made him a Captain Ahab figure. I should have just been like buddy, I have bad news about the Vietnam War,

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
YTotD / Short Film of the Day

Next Floor (12 min.) | (2008) dir. Denis Villeneuve

Vimeo link

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I was wondering if that was his daughter and I googled it to see if he has any kids. Don't do that unless you want to be really sad.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Steve Yun posted:

Are you sure about that? I cried during the movie because I felt bad for Tonya Harding being screwed over by her circumstances and everyone's prejudices

Yes they laugh at everyone in the first half of the movie, but that's just so they can pull out the rug from under you in the second half

I also got "screwed over by circumstance," but I felt that the "circumstance" that the movie put focus on was the fact that Jeff and Shawn were uneducated dumbasses. This makes scenes like when she addresses the audience, or says all she has is skating, ring kinda hollow because the movie has only barely mentioned the poverty and really not explored it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hand Knit posted:

I also got "screwed over by circumstance," but I felt that the "circumstance" that the movie put focus on was the fact that Jeff and Shawn were uneducated dumbasses. This makes scenes like when she addresses the audience, or says all she has is skating, ring kinda hollow because the movie has only barely mentioned the poverty and really not explored it.

Definitely agree with that.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Franchescanado posted:

YTotD / Short Film of the Day

Next Floor (12 min.) | (2008) dir. Denis Villeneuve

Vimeo link

So, this is fantastic

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Keanu's about to give the cameraman a nut tap.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Citizen posted:

So, this is fantastic

Glad you liked it! I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been brought up before, especially with all the Villeneuve love this thread has, and with Blade Runner 2049's popularity.

This weekend my theater's getting Lady Bird, Brimstone & Glory, and The Square. And you're drat right I'm gonna try and watch all three.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Keanu 2020.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Idle curiosity: has there ever been a pro wrestling movie that isn’t a documentary, a behind-the-curtains drama about the life of a wrestler, or a compilation of televised matches, but a fully kayfabe wrestling storyline produced and packaged as a feature film?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Anonymous Robot posted:

Idle curiosity: has there ever been a pro wrestling movie that isn’t a documentary, a behind-the-curtains drama about the life of a wrestler, or a compilation of televised matches, but a fully kayfabe wrestling storyline produced and packaged as a feature film?

That's what Barton Fink is supposed to write in Barton Fink so presumably there was a time where they were a thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Ready to Rumble?

Edit: No Holds Barred, also.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

El Santo

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Guys, does r/truefilm hate movies or do they just hate fun?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Anonymous Robot posted:

Most kaiju movies

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m home sick from work today, so I’m making Juice my first movie of 2018 and Tupac getting super into White Heat is extremely my mood

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hand Knit posted:

She works at Spud Stop when she thinks her career is over, her mom is always working as a diner waitress, and their living quarters are pretty clearly lower middle class. She has to take public shame boxing to make ends meet. I thought it was pretty clear.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Juice is dope. I need to check out more of Ernest Dickerson's directorial stuff - he even had a new movie out last year called Double Play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuG7jOtGTrs

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Anonymous Robot posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Circus_(film)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

This sounds ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

K. Waste posted:

Juice is dope. I need to check out more of Ernest Dickerson's directorial stuff - he even had a new movie out last year called Double Play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuG7jOtGTrs

Yeah, it really is. Juice basically becomes a horror movie in the back half, so I gotta see Demon Knight, and I’ve heard good things about Surviving the Game.

• Locked thread