Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Mystic Stylez posted:

You can remove them all with one click if you have Enhanced Steam, the button shows up at the bottom of your wishlist IIRC.

Demicol posted:

There was some guy in the Steam thread who had almost 6000 games on their wishlist and it crashes Steam/browser every time they tried to open it.

It's really odd that no one at Valve can just take a couple of hours and add some basic usability features to address these and similar basic issues with the client. It can't be hard to limit the wishlist/games list to X per page, they already do that for badges for instance. I know the company structure/culture there doesn't encourage people to fix boring stuff like this at the expense of working on actually interesting things, but it's like no one there even uses their own software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Glare Seethe posted:

It's really odd that no one at Valve can just take a couple of hours and add some basic usability features to address these and similar basic issues with the client. It can't be hard to limit the wishlist/games list to X per page, they already do that for badges for instance. I know the company structure/culture there doesn't encourage people to fix boring stuff like this at the expense of working on actually interesting things, but it's like no one there even uses their own software.

It's all about the skin generators. The only reason they're adding battle royale to CS:GO now instead of ages ago (PUBG didn't pop up overnight) is because they had competition from an even better skin generator.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Keep your wish lists polulated just for the off chance they’ll do another of those “you win 10 games from your wish list” thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wish I can delete anything from my wishlist. I must have dozens of removed games and delete won't work.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Consider picking up Hello Charlotte. It's a cool RPGMaker game with a weird world. The first episode is available for free on itch.io, while the third and final episode is coming out January 5th.

In the same vein, consider picking up Metal as Phuk. Going into it, I didn't think it would be any good, but somehow the dev created something rather unique and pleasant. And really goddamn hilarious at times.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 2, 2018

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Usually when is the next Steam sale? Summer? Or is there any before?

Scalding Coffee posted:

I wish I can delete anything from my wishlist. I must have dozens of removed games and delete won't work.

Try doing it through the client instead of your browser. When that happens to me, this usually works.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 2, 2018

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

E: double post.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, I am interested in them all! I like trying games and seeing how they play and just having fun with a giant library. I don't expect that I'll love every one of those games but as I pick them up it'll be fun to find out which ones are my jam!

Unless I'm confusing you with someone else, browsing your wishlist that you posted earlier brought to my attention quite a few games that peaked my interest enough to keep an eye on for future consideration, some of which I ended up buying this sale.

One of those that I also just finished was THE MAGIC CIRCLE. I'd never heard of it and went in pretty much blind just based on the positive reviews and really loved it! I thought it was really funny and engrossing. At 5 hours, I found it to be the perfect length for this type of high concept game and would highly recommend it to anyone that enjoyed similar meta games like The Stanley Parable (but with an actual smidge of puzzle-solving).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Trickyblackjack posted:

Unless I'm confusing you with someone else, browsing your wishlist that you posted earlier brought to my attention quite a few games that peaked my interest enough to keep an eye on for future consideration, some of which I ended up buying this sale.

One of those that I also just finished was THE MAGIC CIRCLE. I'd never heard of it and went in pretty much blind just based on the positive reviews and really loved it! I thought it was really funny and engrossing. At 5 hours, I found it to be the perfect length for this type of high concept game and would highly recommend it to anyone that enjoyed similar meta games like The Stanley Parable (but with an actual smidge of puzzle-solving).

You're confusing me with someone else, but I now want the Magic Circle and it's going on my wishlist, thank you!

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

You're confusing me with someone else, but I now want the Magic Circle and it's going on my wishlist, thank you!

Oh oops, well don't thank me, thank the unknown hero with the 300+ game wishlist.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I played through the Witcher 3 on PS4 when it first came out. I played a bit of each DLC when they came out, but didn't finish either. I guess my question would be, is Witcher 3 on the PC with the DLC improved/different enough than the original PS4 release to consider buying?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I played through the Witcher 3 on PS4 when it first came out. I played a bit of each DLC when they came out, but didn't finish either. I guess my question would be, is Witcher 3 on the PC with the DLC improved/different enough than the original PS4 release to consider buying?

Even beyond running/looking way better, PC version has a ton of mods including a couple full overhauls.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've gotten $12.78 in car money (with a few more dollars likely on the way) and I'm probably going to pick up Dishonored: Death Of the Outsider if I hit that $14.99 point. Maybe. I'm also heavily considering just getting Caves Of Qud and some Rocksmith DLC.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Usually when is the next Steam sale? Summer? Or is there any before?

Try doing it through the client instead of your browser. When that happens to me, this usually works.

As far as giant omnibus sales yeah that's it till July. There might be large but not store wide sales around Chinese New Year and maaaaybe Spring Break?

I'm sure for most games you can find deals as good if not better by keeping an eye out till then. Use isthereanydeal.com, this forum, and maybe /r/gamedeals if you're so inclined.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I've gotten $12.78 in car money (with a few more dollars likely on the way) and I'm probably going to pick up Dishonored: Death Of the Outsider if I hit that $14.99 point. Maybe. I'm also heavily considering just getting Caves Of Qud and some Rocksmith DLC.

I think if you've ever enjoyed a traditional roguelike (Nethack, ADOM, Angband etc.) you're pretty much guaranteed to have a great time with CoQ. Try reading a few of the achievements if you haven't already.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Magic Circle is a game about games that manages to avoid disappearing up its own rear end and is therefore really good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Worldshatter posted:

The Magic Circle is a game about games that manages to avoid disappearing up its own rear end and is therefore really good

After the Beginner's Guide I am ready for this

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

il_cornuto posted:

I think if you've ever enjoyed a traditional roguelike (Nethack, ADOM, Angband etc.) you're pretty much guaranteed to have a great time with CoQ. Try reading a few of the achievements if you haven't already.

I know. I'm so excited. The yelling paragraph in the OP of its thread sold me twice over. But I'm also a poors for this sale and recently played through Dishonored 2 and it's the best thing I've played all year. I am torn.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I know. I'm so excited. The yelling paragraph in the OP of its thread sold me twice over. But I'm also a poors for this sale and recently played through Dishonored 2 and it's the best thing I've played all year. I am torn.

Caves of Qud, Caves of Qud! You're gonna have a ton of fun with it and the Dishonored stuff will be on sale in summer. Also only one of these games has talking bears in it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Caves of Qud, Caves of Qud! You're gonna have a ton of fun with it and the Dishonored stuff will be on sale in summer. Also only one of these games has talking bears in it.

Talking bears that you can EAT. Caves of Qud is awesome and well worth the money.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

Talking bears that you can EAT. Caves of Qud is awesome and well worth the money.

Do not eat the talking bears!

Only eat their non-talking cousins!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So, last day of sale. What are you recommendations for games that would otherwise fly under people's radars?

Mine are the same as last time:

Aviary Attorney

Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet

Rollers of the Realm

Sorcery 1 2 3 4

None of these were really cheap enough that I could go on a gifting spree, and I've sang their praises enough that I won't go on (unless someone provides me with an excuse by asking), but I'd recommend each at the current price.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've been charmed by Nadia was Here which is a puzzle focused JRPG with a neat, unique battle system

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

So, last day of sale. What are you recommendations for games that would otherwise fly under people's radars?

Okay, here goes!

Copy Kitty, an eye-searing wonderful platformer ala Megaman. It's in early access but there's already a ton of content (oodles of levels and bosses!) with tight controls: you play as a catgirl or a bug alien with a top hat and they both have distinctive control schemes. The main gimmick of the game is that as you kill enemies you can copy their powers, then mix n' match them so you go from shooting bullets to bouncy explosives or sticky bombs or lasers or... There's a lot of weird combos! It's cool! This game is 7.49$ and well worth it if you like Megaman. :D

Invisible Inc, one of the best games of all time. You guide an XCOM-esque squad of super-spies through Shadowrun missions against megacorps, stealing their gear, tazing their guards, destroying their robots. Has a relatively short campaign that's highly replayable, and the DLC doubles its length and adds a ton of stuff. 4.99$ for the base game, 5.99$ for the base game + DLC.

Logistical, nerd crack. You move cargo from town to town with an increasingly elaborate web of trucks. The UI is not great but once you get it, the game is great. 4.99$, the DLC is unnecessary (at first) as it just adds more maps to solve, and the base game has Tute Island, the Isle of Man, and Australia, which are incredibly hefty maps. (And the XMAS bonus map but that's very different gameplay)

Paint it Back, Picross for 3.99$. It's good.

Everyday Genius: SquareLogic is 2.49$ for sudoku-esque logic puzzles that are really good!

80 Days, easily one of the best text adventures on steam. You're a valet for a British tourist going 'round the world, and it's also the best tourism game I've ever played, with every place feeling evocative and interesting. 3.99$, please treat yourself!

:siren: The Sea Will Claim Everything :siren: is 1.99$ and it's the best text adventure/point n' click on Steam with incredible writing and art. Er, distinctive art with a lot of charm. Listen just try it - or if you're allergic to spending money, play this prequel/sidequel instead. The Book of Living Magic made me cry with happiness, it's just that good.

There's more, of course - Unity of Command for the best beginner level wargame on Steam, Dungeonmans and Caves of Qud and other amazing roguelikes, and stuff I'm surely forgetting - but here you go, a collection of really good games. :D

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 3, 2018

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Mini Metro, which StrixNebulosa gifted me in the gift train is really good and chill. Almost meditative to play. Looks gorgeous too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Xander77 posted:

Anyone with even a passing interest in point-and-click adventures or cosmic horror should check out both seasons of The Last Door. It's honestly the best piece of Lovecraft-inspired media I've ever seen, and one of my all-time favorite adventure games.

Hero of the Kingdom is the perfect chillout game, just clicking around a quaint little fantasy world and doing little jobs like baking bread and fishing that eventually lead to you saving the kingdom.

Mini Metro somehow manages to be an extremely fun and extremely taxing puzzle game in equal measures and has a ton of depth to its very simple mechanics.

I loved Sim Tower (and Yoot Tower) when I was young but I honestly think Project Highrise is better than either of them, and it's eaten more of my time than a lot of more popular builder games.

EDIT: Also seconding this, as hard as I can:

StrixNebulosa posted:

:siren: The Sea Will Claim Everything :siren: is 1.99$ and it's the best text adventure/point n' click on Steam with incredible writing and art. Er, distinctive art with a lot of charm. Listen just try it - or if you're allergic to spending money, play this prequel/sidequel instead. The Book of Living Magic made me cry with happiness, it's just that good.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 3, 2018

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I should give Project Highrise another shot. It just seemed too busy, graphically, for what I was looking for at the moment.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

odiv posted:

Mini Metro, which StrixNebulosa gifted me in the gift train is really good and chill. Almost meditative to play. Looks gorgeous too.

Thirding this, it's insanely good. I will always be proud of one of the difficult achievements I got in that game, it was tough to pull off. :D

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, here goes!

Invisible Inc, one of the best games of all time. You guide an XCOM-esque squad of super-spies through Shadowrun missions against megacorps, stealing their gear, tazing their guards, destroying their robots. Has a relatively short campaign that's highly replayable, and the DLC doubles its length and adds a ton of stuff. 4.99$ for the base game, 5.99$ for the base game + DLC.

Seconding, thirding and fourthing invisible inc. It's like if the concealment phase from xcom 2 got fleshed out into a full amazing game. You can't go guns blazing in this game and expect to live. You've got to get in, , get the goods and gtfo before you get overwhelmed.

It's got fuckloads of replayability and is all around my favourite stealth game

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

StrixNebulosa posted:

80 Days, easily one of the best text adventures on steam. You're a valet for a British tourist going 'round the world, and it's also the best tourism game I've ever played, with every place feeling evocative and interesting. 3.99$, please treat yourself!

80 Days is an even worse "just one more turn" game than Civ; you're thinking "okay, I'll just get to Moscow real quick and then call it a night" and then it's 6 hours later and you're sneaking into China on a giant mechanical bird.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Games People Should Play That Nobody Ever Does:

Princess Remedy (FREE) and Princess Remedy 2 ($2.24) -- if you like cute short games with quirky dialogue

The Eyes of Ara ($8.99) (Demo available) -- if you like games like The Room, Myst, House of Da Vinci

Monolith ($4.95) -- it's like if The Binding of Isaac was actually Good

Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor ($4.99) -- if you want a boring, grindy, oppressive experience that's also incredibly unique

Goetia ($3.74) -- If you want to be a ghost scooting around an abandoned place uncovering mysteries

Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal ($3.89) -- if you like games like Diner Dash but want actual production values and a silly story

Virginia ($0.99) (Demo available) -- if you like walking simulators and don't mind them being pretentious or having disappointing endings.. it's only a buck......

Shipwreck ($1.01) -- if you want a decent, cute, short Zelda style game but you don't want to spend a lot of money

Glass Masquerade ($1.74) -- if you like jigsaw puzzles but want something a little more unique than Pixel Puzzles

HackyZack ($1.49) -- if you want a technical platformer where beating levels makes you feel like you are Good At Video Games

Mainlining ($2.49) (Demo available) -- if even Uplink is too complex for you and you want your hacking to be extremely basic because you're dumb like me, and also delivered in the form of an even dumber episodic story to give your dumb stupid brain motivation

Rungunjumpgun ($1.59) -- if you like to get really mad at dying at video games, this is for you, and it's also one-button to make you feel like you're even worse at video games than normal when you lose

The Tenth Line ($6.69) -- if you like your RPGs from the PS1 era where every gameplay system was needlessly convoluted and then stacked on top of each other to make an incomprehensible mess, and you like that about them

Mini-Ghost ($1.19) -- if you want a really basic Metroidvania inspired by MSX games... okay you probably don't, but if you're this cheap, beggars can't be choosers. the more interesting thing is the Workshop support, where you can make your own Metroidvanias with the game's map and sprite editors.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon ($0.99) -- if you hate bugs

ADAM WOLFE ($1.97) -- if you want the trashiest, dumbest, enjoyable Hidden Object Game

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Echoing Monolith, Mini Metro, Invisible Inc and 80 Days, I'd also add (sticking to stuff that I haven't seen talked about in this thread much):

Slime-San, a better Super Meat Boy-style platformer than The End is Nigh - £5.84
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, a game that blends strategy and puzzle mechanics really well - £2.95
A House of Many Doors, Sunless Sea-esque blend of exploration and choose your own adventure elements with better pacing - £1.99
The Floor is Jelly, a short, quirky platformer with a fun gimmick - £0.69

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Alright fine, I bought Invisible Inc and the Sea will claim everything. I was also looking at the Lion's Song since I'm in a point and click mood, worth it? I do realize the first ep is free but if the whole thing ends up not being worth it...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Monolith ($4.95) -- it's like if The Binding of Isaac was actually Good

Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal ($3.89) -- if you like games like Diner Dash but want actual production values and a silly story

Mini-Ghost ($1.19) -- if you want a really basic Metroidvania inspired by MSX games... okay you probably don't, but if you're this cheap, beggars can't be choosers. the more interesting thing is the Workshop support, where you can make your own Metroidvanias with the game's map and sprite editors.

ADAM WOLFE ($1.97) -- if you want the trashiest, dumbest, enjoyable Hidden Object Game

Seconding these, and also wait what Virginia's only a buck? I wasn't interested in it at all but I've heard people talk about it and if it's only a dollar...

p.s. Ghost 1.0 isn't bad either, from what I played. Like, it's not gonna win any awards but it's fun.

il_cornuto posted:

Echoing Monolith, Mini Metro, Invisible Inc and 80 Days, I'd also add (sticking to stuff that I haven't seen talked about in this thread much):

Slime-San, a better Super Meat Boy-style platformer than The End is Nigh - £5.84
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, a game that blends strategy and puzzle mechanics really well - £2.95
A House of Many Doors, Sunless Sea-esque blend of exploration and choose your own adventure elements with better pacing - £1.99
The Floor is Jelly, a short, quirky platformer with a fun gimmick - £0.69

Sir, you have good tastes. I love all of these except for the Jelly one, which I haven't played yet.

Also!!

BONUS ROUND

Death Road to Canada is the best zombie game ever made, in my opinion! You're on a road trip to Canada, you have pals who can be pals, dogs, or horrible people, you fight zombies for supplies, it's all very silly and brutal and really captures American culture, if it were overrun by zombies. Also if the only party member you have left is a dog, the dog can drive the car. It's good! (And 8.99$ and early access but again, like Copy Kitty it is chockful of content and you're in for a good time!)

Nova-111, a cool puzzle roguelike thing where you're a starship trying to make it through some weird planets. I found it to be remarkably fun - the puzzles were engaging, the art's pretty, etc. For 2.24$ it's a good time!

:siren: Startopia :siren: is only a dollar! It's a silly game where you manage a space colony (think Deep Space Nine) with a suave British AI pal and it's got gardening and a variety of fun aliens and there are space kittens in it. It's one of my favorites and if it works on my Win10 laptop it'll probably work on whatever you've got running!

Space Pilgrim Episodes I-IV are stupidly cheap RPG maker games that... are actually really good! It's a relatively short little saga of adventure games, where there's no combat, just talking, picking up items, and being amused at the item descriptions. The story's about a starship captain who's essentially a glorified taxi who picks up passengers who get her involved in heavier and heavier stuff. There's a lesbian romance with a happy ending! The characters are good! It's not the deepest thing but gosh, I got invested in this little story as I played through it.

Unity of Command, a real good wargame that's easy to understand and play! ... The scenarios are tough, and you have to manage supply lines, but it's really good and slimmed down from the titans in the genre, so even an idiot like me can get into playing this genre and cussing out enemy tanks. It's 4.99$, but only 7.49$ for the whole set.

Panzer Corps, the other good newbie wargame, although this one is more Advance Wars-y than the other one! You lead a team of tanks through Europe, slowly leveling up your guys while using the other units you get in a level to solve every level and capture every base. 4.79$ for the base game, and uh.... wow this gets expensive. I haven't beaten this one so I don't want the DLC yet, but if you love this game, boy howdy is there a lot of it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
We doing last minute recommendations?

Fire Pro Wrestling World - Probably the most customizable wrestling game ever with a ton of custom characters in the workshop and fun AI versus AI stuff. No career/management just yet, its supposed to be coming soon as a DLC which kind of sucks BUT this one is notable because it will get a big price hike after the sale. If you want in, get it now.

Dead Cells - One of the best, most fluid action sidescrolling games ever made and comparable to the old classics. Makes Hollow Knight look like a donkey with a helmet. More rogue-like than Metroidvania (at least for now, that's slowly changing with patches), don't let the EA tag scare you because not only is this great, this too will get a price increase when the sale ends.

Bot Vice, Strikey Sisters and Super Star Path - I haven't played them. But you know what? They too are getting like 12 bucks more expensive each, after the sale.

Fight'N Rage - Probably my favorite pick this sale. This one ain't getting a price increase but it's probably the best 2D beat'em up available on PC right now. Plays like a dream, looks pretty good, tons of unlockables, challenge can go from fair to hair-tearingly ball busting depending on your preferences. Pretty drat great.

THE PICROSS GAUNLET composed of Paint it Back!, Pepper's Puzzles and Pictopix - These are all good but I've got to say that Pepper's is probably my favorite as far as feel and interface goes, feels more quality than the other two. Sadly it is Pictopix that has faaaaaaaar more workshop puzzles available AND is supposed to get a big update too soon as the sale ends. Time will tell but at the very least these are all good puzzle games.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armaggedon - It's a dollar for a more trimmed down, less anime version of EDF. Hard to go wrong with it when there's a 60 FPS fix available and all.

SENRAN KAGURA SHINOVI VERSUS and Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom - I hate myself for having spent money on these, mostly cause they were comparatively more expensive than everything else I got. They both however are actually pretty good, have a bunch of content (if can get a bit grindy) and believe or not AoT is probably the best musou style game out there just by virtue of replacing killing a billion faceless farmers with killing a million, man-eating giants.

The Black Watchmen - Do you like puzzles? What about Alternate Reality Games? Shadowy goverment agencies? Reading SCP stuff? Maybe you live in america/europe and like the possibility of optional game events that have actual real life interactions in the form of phone calls and stuff like that? This is the game for you.

The Vagrant - SCAM ALERT SCAM ALERT?! Oh no! I'm conflicted with this one and is a gamble because the game is still unfinished. On one hand it's good and used to be like fifteen dollars before it got dropped to just a few bucks as it changed publishers; On the other hand, it's now being published by that one chinese company that floods Steam with lovely porn games and bad translations so there's no guarantee the game will ever be completed. Do you like gambling? This is your pick of the sale.

Now for a little best of the year kinda thing:

Rimworld - This one never goes on sale so it's safe to pick whenever. Imagine Dwarf Fortress but good easy to play and with a ton of mods that go as far as completely overhauling the theme. Chances are good you will spend hooooours with his management game even without mods though.

Foxhole - Now this one was a surprise. Did you ever play the original Planetside or Running With Rifles? Well if the idea of fighting a war complete with all the logistics and materiel distribution that it entails appeals to you, this game was made for it. With everything from resource gathering to manufacturing, holding supply lines, distribution and the ensuing combat; Foxhole is a game driven entirely by players and at times it can feel like you are playing a soldier stuck in some massive RTS. Unfortunately, the game is suffering a bit of a re-structuring in its design right now and the Devs are testing a lot of balance options on top of adding new stuff in but it's still worth exploring.

War for the Overworld - Over the last decade there's probably been a dozen franchises that tried to be the new Dungeon Keeper and this is the only one that really got close. A fun management game, with most of the nuance and flavor of the old Dungeon Keeper but with added fixes and quality of life improvements, WFTO might have had a rocky start after coming off Kickstarter but it has really shaped up into a good game over the last couple years. The devs have always been fair and hardworking, even in the coming year they have more stuff in the works.

Conquest of Elysium 4 - The little cousin of the also amazing Dominions 5 (which is not on sale so not on this list). Part rogue-like, part 4X, CoE 4 is much improved over its predecesor and all around a joy to play. It's a game about war, about exploring, about having unfortunate mishaps and getting your oh so mighty army crushed by untold horrors from beyond space or someone throwing a wrench in your game-winning plans when an army of demons breaks into reality with intent to conquer it. CoE will make you gasp in amazement as much as it makes you scratch your head in confusion (a lot of the latter when it comes to learning the interface and your first few games.)

Endless Space 2 - I didn't really care much for space 4x games before I tried this, now this is my second most-played game of the year. Gorgeous, deep, full with completely unique and interesting races, Amplitude continues to deliver games that raise the bar when it comes to 4x. It is not perfect however, the AI can at times be dumb and you REALLY need to play the tutorial cause else you won't know some things but it's still a great game that can easily tower other similar titles like Stellaris. If you don't get it now, you should keep an eye out for this one over the next year and what will probably be its first expansion. As for my most played game this year...

:siren:

theHunter: Call of the Wild - Hunting is the kind of game genre you'd expect to be full of low effort and budget stuff but this ain't it: This is easily one of the prettiest game available on PC right now and probably the ultimate relaxation game. Enjoy a trek through different, gorgeous hunting reserves in America, Europe and notSiberia, discover locations and collectibles as you complete plot missions or just explore and take photos all over the place; this game is good no matter if you have just a couple hours or half a day to mess around. You can even play with friends complete with challenges as well as shared spotting for a more co-op experience. If you haven't played a hunting game before, give it a try! It places a lot of emphasis on humane hunting practices/techniques and you'll learn more about animals too and just why they might need to be hunted. Good even if you haven't held a gun in your entire life nor want to, I sank a lot of time into this one this year and I couldn't be happier. Currently available in a big bundle that has all content with a nice discount.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Det_no, our tastes are almost completely different - but you've written some good write-ups and I'm adding Pepper's Puzzles to my wishlist, as I've never heard of it before!

Also Conquest of Elysium 4 is so good.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Det_no posted:

:siren:

theHunter: Call of the Wild - Hunting is the kind of game genre you'd expect to be full of low effort and budget stuff but this ain't it: This is easily one of the prettiest game available on PC right now and probably the ultimate relaxation game. Enjoy a trek through different, gorgeous hunting reserves in America, Europe and notSiberia, discover locations and collectibles as you complete plot missions or just explore and take photos all over the place; this game is good no matter if you have just a couple hours or half a day to mess around. You can even play with friends complete with challenges as well as shared spotting for a more co-op experience. If you haven't played a hunting game before, give it a try! It places a lot of emphasis on humane hunting practices/techniques and you'll learn more about animals too and just why they might need to be hunted. Good even if you haven't held a gun in your entire life nor want to, I sank a lot of time into this one this year and I couldn't be happier. Currently available in a big bundle that has all content with a nice discount.

I got this for my dad this sale and he loving loves it. He used to play nothing but the F1 games, had hundreds of hours in each one, and since he got this he's played nothing else.

Seriously, he's had it for 10 days and has 52 hours in it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Gonna recommend Hello Charlotte once more. The second episode is easily worth the asking price, so the discount is sweetening the deal. Give the first episode a try beforehand - it'll either make or break the game for you.

I got it during last year's sale and didn't think much of it at first, but it was a rather pleasant surprise in how well it is crafted.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Det_no, our tastes are almost completely different - but you've written some good write-ups and I'm adding Pepper's Puzzles to my wishlist, as I've never heard of it before!

Also Conquest of Elysium 4 is so good.

Yeaah. It's very good, do keep an eye out on it. I'm thinking of doing some workshop stuff for it cause it really is kind of shame that it only has a hundred extra puzzles when Pictopix has like a thousand. Pepper's just feels more user friendly all over.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I got this for my dad this sale and he loving loves it. He used to play nothing but the F1 games, had hundreds of hours in each one, and since he got this he's played nothing else.

Seriously, he's had it for 10 days and has 52 hours in it.

It's so good, you really can just walk around and have a good time looking at everything. I'm really glad the developer plans to expand on it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Can you actually just play it as a nature photography simulator? Because that would be pretty great.

• Locked thread