Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Tank44 posted:

I understand most of the other discussed moves but this one I do not understand. Earl is one of the best safeties in the league. He has been the "qb" of one of the best defenses. Sure he may want more money but pay him! He is a player that cannot be let go even for a top 5 pick. This goes along the soap opera lines of Sherman last year where I think this is mostly media driven and not reality for the team. We had Brian Russell at FS before Earl who was terrible - one of the worst starting seahawks players ever. He's #25 in the gif below.

It's a very weird scenario given what happened with Bobby and the whole Cowboy thing. I think Earl's made it clear that it's a "him or me" scenario, and a HOF-caliber player wanting out is a potential sign that it's a rats from a sinking ship scenario

Not a good sign in either case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tank44 posted:

I understand most of the other discussed moves but this one I do not understand. Earl is one of the best safeties in the league. He has been the "qb" of one of the best defenses. Sure he may want more money but pay him! He is a player that cannot be let go even for a top 5 pick. This goes along the soap opera lines of Sherman last year where I think this is mostly media driven and not reality for the team. We had Brian Russell at FS before Earl who was terrible - one of the worst starting seahawks players ever. He's #25 in the gif below.

Okay, so it comes into a bunch of things,

1) Seahawks have between depending on who you ask "Very little" to "absolutely no" cap space left. (~10 mil)
2) His deal runs through next year, so you have 1 year of team control.
3) He's on 10 mil a year I believe, wants to be the highest paid safety in the league and that's currently 13 million (The guy in KC I believe).
4) He's 29 next year, already having had one major injury.

So the Hawks think he's probably not going to be worth it when he hits Free Agency and they can get more dealing him to a team that wants to win now and will give up a draft pick.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Not that I want to add to this sense of Seahawk doom, but...

https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/948358470474006529
https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/948360112107859971

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I totally lied in my previous post, btw.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm curious what kind of haul you can get for Earl. Probably worth a 1st rounder. I think he's worth more, even if teams know the Seahawks are a bit hamstrung.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

I'm curious what kind of haul you can get for Earl. Probably worth a 1st rounder. I think he's worth more, even if teams know the Seahawks are a bit hamstrung.

Teams that want him probably aren't holding a first 12 pick, ie: the really valuable ones, so I dunno a late first and then a later year second?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hey guys hows it goin

oh me? just without a coach and a qb thanks for asking

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You still have Drew Stanton!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I sure do

I have no quarterback and I must scream

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Kirk Cousins and Jarvis Landry to the Cardinals, Fitzgerald plays one more year.

I am Bill Simmons

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...lmer/997291001/

quote:

“Five years ago we started with no head coach and no quarterback,” Keim said, “and I feel like that ended up pretty good. I think that’s the way we need to approach this this time around.”

I still believe we have a front office, GM, and owner that is at least in the top half of the league so I'm hoping.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ramadu posted:

I sure do

I have it on good authority that Blaine Gabbert is franchise QB material, who only looked bad because the teams he played on were bad.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

If the Cardinals went the route of trying to draft a QB, Gabbert would be good to play the role of the lame-duck veteran who starts 6 games then gets benched and plays the mentor role.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ramadu posted:

I sure do

Y'all drafting baker get pumped

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Cardinals should draft Lamar Jackson and force feed him Steroids completely legal bulking supplements and sacrifice Gabbert to the football gods.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The Seahawks will have plenty of space after cutting the people I mentioned earlier. Earl has a year left on his contract and any trade now would be selling low.

Stop being such doom and gloom idiots.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The Seahawks will have plenty of space after cutting the people I mentioned earlier. Earl has a year left on his contract and any trade now would be selling low.

I have a feeling the issue isn't so much cap but that Earl wants out.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

GDit. Stop being a voice of reason. More gloom! More doom! Also more from Cards fans please, thanks.

:hfive: Rams fans.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

seiferguy posted:

I have a feeling the issue isn't so much cap but that Earl wants out.

Yeah, it's absolutely this and the threat of entire LOB disintegrating in the offseason

I don't think the pessimism is unwarranted

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Blair Walsh was 12-13 in warm weather / dome-like conditions, and 9 for 16 in cold weather ones.

Maybe we shouldn't sign a guy who can't kick in chilly weather? :thunk:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

If Earl wants out then I think now is the time to sell. I will take cowboys 1st and 2nd and 4th this year and 1st and 3rd next year.

It will be interesting how / whether the hawks will respond to the core of the super bowl team disappearing. Gonna suck probably but hell the run of being great has been awesome. I look forward to hopefully being simply good.

Also fire the offensive staff Jesus Christ the last 6 games were spook atrocious offensively. How can there be no changes.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Remember what you guys traded for Duane Brown? You don't get much leverage when the player wants out of the building, unless your FO is entirely comprised of dicks willing to kill a locker room.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EmbryoSteve posted:

If Earl wants out then I think now is the time to sell. I will take cowboys 1st and 2nd and 4th this year and 1st and 3rd next year.

It will be interesting how / whether the hawks will respond to the core of the super bowl team disappearing. Gonna suck probably but hell the run of being great has been awesome. I look forward to hopefully being simply good.

Also fire the offensive staff Jesus Christ the last 6 games were spook atrocious offensively. How can there be no changes.

lmao

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Earl isn't going anywhere

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

EmbryoSteve posted:

I will take cowboys 1st and 2nd and 4th this year and 1st and 3rd next year.

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Frankly it's a miracle the Seahawks won 9 games this year, with the only clear bright spot going forward being that two other teams in the division are also rebuilding.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Percy Harvin trade netted Minnesota a 1st, 3rd (in the following year) and a 7th. He also had more years left on his deal, so I'd assume any trade for Earl is going to be around that, if less.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
earl thomas will not net a 1st round pick

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Benne posted:

Earl isn't going anywhere

Yesssss, denial. :smugwizard:

seiferguy posted:

The Percy Harvin trade netted Minnesota a 1st, 3rd (in the following year) and a 7th. He also had more years left on his deal, so I'd assume any trade for Earl is going to be around that, if less.

tbf though, the Seahawks FO doesn't value first round picks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
*offense is fundamentally broken and needs multiple holes filled*

Hmm yes let's trade our best defensive player instead

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

EmbryoSteve posted:

Lord Waffle Beard, is that you?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

*offense is fundamentally broken and needs multiple holes filled*

Hmm yes let's trade our best defensive player instead

Trade your best defensive player to acquire draft spots to fill your offensive holes! :downsgun:

In all seriousness, Seattle could go for that top defense that they had from 2011-now (ish) when RW was on his rookie deal. Now he's being paid like a top QB and usually functions like one, its probably time to retool the team to be more offensively minded, like the 2005 team was.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

seiferguy posted:

Trade your best defensive player to acquire draft spots to fill your offensive holes! :downsgun:

In all seriousness, Seattle could go for that top defense that they had from 2011-now (ish) when RW was on his rookie deal. Now he's being paid like a top QB and usually functions like one, its probably time to retool the team to be more offensively minded, like the 2005 team was.

This sounds right.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Draft Russell Wilson’s sister and put her on defense. Problem solved

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Its Rinaldo posted:

Draft Russell Wilson’s sister and put her on defense. Problem solved

I just read an article on her and it looks like she's suffered more concussions taking elbows to the head playing basketball than Russell has his whole career (insert nanobubbles joke here).

She also plays for Stanford, booooooooo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

EmbryoSteve posted:

The LOB was always Kam + Earl + Richard + [Other]. Assuming Kam leaves, then 2/3rds (or 1/2 if you want to count [other]) of the LOB is still here. On top of that, CB Griffin looks like a young stud.

EmbryoSteve posted:

This is the main thing that needs to happen. For the first time in years I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Seattle's OL. Brown is a good LT and now we have 3 young players on the line who have shown slow but steady improvement. If the young players can be "average" I will be ecstatic. I believe a non-Cable and Bevell offensive coaching staff can achieve those results. I'm not saying the OL will be good, but probably better than the usual bottom 3.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Like what the gently caress? Cable is among the worst at his job. How does he keep getting jobs?

Hire a new OL coach, draft a RB in the middle rounds, and hope that Rawls stays healthy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Our best hope now is that Jim Irsay sees a kindred spirit in Tom Cable with his domestic violence problems and gives him Indy's head coaching job.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

seiferguy posted:

Our best hope now is that Jim Irsay sees a kindred spirit in Tom Cable with his domestic violence problems and gives him Indy's head coaching job.

*Furiously prays to an altar of pain pills*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Like what the gently caress? Cable is among the worst at his job. How does he keep getting jobs?

Hire a new OL coach, draft a RB in the middle rounds, and hope that Rawls stays healthy.

*hope that Carson stays healthy.

Rawls is long gone, especially after the last two games.

• Locked thread