Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

canis minor posted:

Keith Thompson doesn't belong in this thread. I'd like to read more of his stuff (especially about the necromancer with a machine womb or that kingdom where angels are machines), but afaik he does only illustrations and these synopses are just companions for his art (hopefully somebody will correct me on that)

Eh, his writing doesn't do a lot for me. It's a little like how online fantasy roleplayers look for random illustrations as inspiration for their characters, going as far as to incorporate specific details from the art in their backstory, except done first hand by the artist himself - but no less cringeworthy. Only blurb I remember liking is the one for the Europe 1914 map

e: and on reread, it's very stilted

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

When I was picking up textbooks for the new semester, I noticed something interesting on their "Local and University-affiliated Authors" shelf, involving space dragons.

quote:

The adopted daughter of a distinguished starship commander, young Celine is a brilliant student, a promising cadet – and a secret witch. When a psychotic criminal, bent on revenge against her father, teleports Celine randomly out into the cosmos, she finds herself stranded on the forbidden planet Nibiru, in the lair of Fianna – last princess of a dying race of noble dragons. Fianna and Celine face dire perils and overwhelming odds in their quest for the key to the Dragon race’s survival, and the lives of everyone Celine holds most dear.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dragons-Nibiru-Lorna-Carleton-ebook/dp/B0754NVQZN

I wasn't quite up to paying $20 for a book about a space dragon princess but $3.75 for a Kindle edition? Sure thing. Give me some trash to wade through when I need a break from my English major classes. On the first page, it's Earth in the year 24 000 BC, a spaceship comes and drops off a lot of people explicitly described as white and wipes their memories. Then I remember that the "people also bought" was a book about Escaping Scientology.

I am so excited and scared.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Based on the rules set by a book about magic

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

"book" is a very generous way to describe Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

"fanfic" is much closer, yet still somehow more generous than it deserves

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

200 pages of mundane description of the protagonist going through their regular daily routine. Then on the last page they are unceremoniously nuked as the antagonist's plan comes to fruition, because the two of them running into each other beforehand would be a *scoffs* irrational contrivance.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Update on the Space Dragon Princess book:

The protagonist learned magic by reading clues hidden in popular fiction. She learned witchcraft from Harry Potter, basically. She's also being telepathically guided by literal angels. Humans are prime candidates for alien soul transfer, which was mentioned and has yet to be explained, and plagues of infertility have led to the Galactic Omniplanetary Democratum (or, as it's known, G.O.D.) laying down a million incredibly stringent rules about unsanctioned breeding. Some sort of evil reptile alien just said "How the Xenu should I know?"

This isn't just a Space Dragon Princess book. It really is a Space Dragon Princess Scientology book.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Djeser posted:

"book" is a very generous way to describe Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

"fanfic" is much closer, yet still somehow more generous than it deserves

I mean, dude tried to start a fanfiction cult and didn’t even cause one murder-suicide. poo poo is weak.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RoboRodent posted:

This isn't just a Space Dragon Princess book. It really is a Space Dragon Princess Scientology book.
I take it "Nibiru" didn't tip you off? Sadly, Wiki only has the dude who made the first ancient astronaut theory rather than my favorite totally batshit "Nibiru is in Earth's orbit but exactly six months behind so it's always hidden by the sun" theory.

Neither are explicitly Scientological as far as I know so it's fair that I would not have expected that exact strain.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I take it "Nibiru" didn't tip you off? Sadly, Wiki only has the dude who made the first ancient astronaut theory rather than my favorite totally batshit "Nibiru is in Earth's orbit but exactly six months behind so it's always hidden by the sun" theory.

Neither are explicitly Scientological as far as I know so it's fair that I would not have expected that exact strain.

Yeah, my bad, didn't think of the Scientology connection, just thought of Babylon and the planet in Earth's orbit thing, which I agree, it's batshit and amazing.

I'm gonna read this. Possibly not fast, between four English classes. But I'm gonna read it and get my $3.75's worth.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slime posted:

In theory this would mean characters act like people and things don't happen at random and there's a bit more nuance to the villains than them just being generic bad guys. In practice, the protagonist will be an autistic robot who cruises through life because ~rational actor~ and the villains will be bad because they think the protagonist is a shitcock. Everyone else will fellate the protagonist because he's so rational and smart.

There's a rational naruto RPG which of course is highly rational because every character action has to be written out in pseudocode, because that's what rationality is, only doing things that are explicitly spelled out like a beep boop robot.

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/marked-for-death-a-rational-naruto-quest.24481/

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

It's been over a decade since my last college class, but I'm pretty sure rationalism is an aspect of literary criticism and not a goddamn genre.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It just reminds me of New Grub Street, where Harold Biffen's completely realistic novel, Mr. Bailey: Grocer, is such a total flop that he winds up committing suicide.

Not spoilering a 120-year-old book.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean I know about Nibiru and stitchins craziness, but I didn't know there was a scientology link there. Doesn't say so in the wikipedia link either.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'll be honest, I was pretty fixated on "space dragon princess."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

AlbieQuirky posted:

It just reminds me of New Grub Street, where Harold Biffen's completely realistic novel, Mr. Bailey: Grocer, is such a total flop that he winds up committing suicide.

Not spoilering a 120-year-old book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtQNULEudss

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Taken on their own, those just sound like rules for good writing.

In practice, I'm sure it's insufferable poo poo finger-vomited by the kind of people who jack off to "Everything Wrong With" videos.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I would love to read (or write even) a book about an autistic private eye, who gets by perfectly well because 99% of his work is just watching people cheat on their spouses or go rock climbing while on disability. The plot could come into where he has to deal with situations beyond his usual work.

Like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, only an adult.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Taken on their own, those just sound like rules for good writing.

In practice, I'm sure it's insufferable poo poo finger-vomited by the kind of people who jack off to "Everything Wrong With" videos.

On paper they're pretty similar to rules for fair play mysteries, but those are implicitly intellectual exercises for the reader to have fun with and still rely on an understanding of human emotions and motivations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I mean, I read a My Little Pony rationalist fanfic and it was mostly very boring explanations about pixel magic, talking head exposition about how liberal arts degrees are worthless, and pony sex cheevos.

the cheevos :gonk:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ryonguy posted:

I would love to read (or write even) a book about an autistic private eye, who gets by perfectly well because 99% of his work is just watching people cheat on their spouses or go rock climbing while on disability. The plot could come into where he has to deal with situations beyond his usual work.

Like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, only an adult.

Gun, With Occasional Music pulls this off pretty well.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
"Rational fiction" sounds like something a mid-century author like Heinlein, Laumer, or Anvil would come up with for the bad guys in a story about how future society is too concerned about coddling people and thus bans all forms of Adventure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Djeser posted:

I mean, I read a My Little Pony rationalist fanfic and it was mostly very boring explanations about pixel magic, talking head exposition about how liberal arts degrees are worthless, and pony sex cheevos.

the cheevos :gonk:

Friendship is Optimal? I remember one of the mock threads went through it years ago and it was, uhh...

Yeah, :gonk: sums it up pretty well.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Speaking of ebooks, this one was free at Lulu.

I cannot begin to describe it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wat.

:psyboom:

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

the_impossible.pdf posted:

" he is angry snarl"

and so am I. Why are all the names in parenthesis, and how can you make mistakes with every kind of punctuation? I kind of want to hear a dramatic reading of it.

the_impossible.pdf posted:

"Big-man:-polygraph my rear end , this poo poo easy to fool , but fists with bones , he will never lie again."

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Friendship is Optimal? I remember one of the mock threads went through it years ago and it was, uhh...

... links please?

Edit: found it, and ewww, no, oh holy poo poo no no no, it's not even funny, it's just absolutely awful. :gonk: indeed

font color sea has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Jan 4, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Counter-Earth has been around a while. Marvel Comics used it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Inescapable Duck posted:

Counter-Earth has been around a while. Marvel Comics used it.

Gor is a Counter-Earth too....

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, dude tried to start a fanfiction cult and didn’t even cause one murder-suicide. poo poo is weak.

He's acquired the sort of fans who try. Look up Eric Bruylant, founder of the Accelerator Project to create a Rationalist intentional living community. This is about him.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Tunicate posted:

There's a rational naruto RPG which of course is highly rational because every character action has to be written out in pseudocode, because that's what rationality is, only doing things that are explicitly spelled out like a beep boop robot.

Ambiguity means never being able to determine who would win between Goku and Superman

At first I was like

quote:

Page 1 of 3061

But then I was like

quote:

Page 3061 of 3061

According to Mein Kampf,

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

4.29 stars on Goodreads

e:

quote:

quote:

“+500 Bits [25 base * 4 orgasms (you) * 5 orgasms (her)]”

What the literal gently caress, Light Sparks thought. He sarcastically replied to himself that having sex that good was obviously worth a quarter of the epiphany about a constraint on Princess Celestia. And then he wondered if he should take that thought seriously. Maybe, over the long term, knowing that Princess Celestia could only make Dunbar’s number of ponies per immigrant would bring as much happiness to ponies as four sex sessions as good as this.

quote:

Even cooler, it came with a whopping 30,000 epiphany bit payout. Between that and his earlier epiphany this week about how the “select object” subspell worked, he was going to make it into the top ten on the weekly intellectual leaderboards easily.

quote:

Hassan looked back on his life. He had been too young to fight when the Soviets invaded in 1979. He remembered the civil wars and the rise of the Taliban. He remembered when the Americans invaded his country to oust the Taliban. He remembered when the Americans left and things got even worse.

Then he remembered when she had come to Afghanistan and had built her fairy tale castles sporadically across the land. He remembered the simultaneous suicide bombers; one November day years ago, dozens of suicide bombers walked into Equestria Experience centers and detonated themselves. In every case, there had been no casualties or structural damage. Some of the former suicide bombers started worshiping Celestia and immediately emigrated to Equestria. Over the next week, the Afghan population dropped by one million.

I have not, will not read this level 5 cognitohazard, but mining it for blood-chilling quotes is almost trivial

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Jan 4, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I came into this thread to be like "I'm actually a fan of the sporadic 'rationalfic.' Some are acceptable, by my low standards at least."

But holy poo poo that MLP story

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

hackbunny posted:

I have not, will not read this level 5 cognitohazard, but mining it for blood-chilling quotes is almost trivial

I had a whale of a time with the Rationalist Fiction thread over on Sufficient Velocity. I think I came in around page 63. But the rest is good too.

My Little Pony: Friendship is The Basilisk is a Rational Fiction take, not on MLP the show, but on the ConversionBureau trope (warning: :tvtropes:). Dare you enter my magical realm??

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Yeah if anyone here wants to expose themselves to secondhand Friendship is Optimal I did a Let's Read style thing back in one of the LessWrong threads. Starts here.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Djeser posted:

Yeah if anyone here wants to expose themselves to secondhand Friendship is Optimal I did a Let's Read style thing back in one of the LessWrong threads. Starts here.

That was such a good thread. Thanks for posting, it was just as horrifying the second time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Djeser posted:

That was exactly the mock thread and read along I was thinking of. Can’t wait to :gonk: at it a second time, thank you.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I've realized what Friendship Is Optimal reminds me of. The author has clearly read Accelerando by Charles Stross, missed the message, and mimicked the structure, plot, and like, half of one of the themes.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Thing is, IIRC the original picture's quality was so bad, it would have been possible to mistake them for small pastries, maybe a strange, large kind of bean (or maybe my eyes are just that bad). However, the poster doubled down, and said something like 'shrimp are an uncommon food, how would you expect a normal person to know what those are?!' and things went on from there.

The biggest problem was that I legitimately didn't know that shrimp and prawns were the same thing. I thought they were two separate species of small edible pastry crustacean.
But I started a wonderful running joke and got a snazzy avatar, so I have no regrets. :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The_White_Crane posted:

The biggest problem was that I legitimately didn't know that shrimp and prawns were the same thing. I thought they were two separate species of small edible pastry crustacean.

They aren't?

There but for the grace of God I go....