Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I've come to terms that my salary is derived from boot stomping poors at the neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

This is just this specific Tim Horton's that happened to be owned by these pieces of poo poo? And, I assume, any other Tim Horton's they franchise.

Most of the Tim Horton's by me are all owned by corporate (TDL Group, I believe) so I'm curious to see if they follow a similar move.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

Raising the price of labour for front-line workers will increase the costs faced by more affluent Canadians without putting any upward pressure on their own incomes. I doubt that any reduction in government taxes would be enough to compensate for this.

It's uncomfortable to recognize this but affluent Canadians live well at the expense of working class Canadians and the people who oppose increasing the minimum wage are expressing their class interest. I know it is tempting to think right-wing ideology is just an expression of parochial stupidity but there's actually a lot of calculated self interest behind suppressing wages for people on the bottom.

The great Canadian dream that we could redistribute wealth but leave everyone better off than before isn't realistic. If we ever were to actually redistribute wealth in this country it would hurt a lot more people than just the CEOs and senior managers of big corporations.

Counterpoint: affluent Canadians will stand to make more money, because increasing the amount of money in the pocket of low earners will mean they spend it on stuff, which actually stimulates the economy, and then the stock market will go up and all sorts of fun poo poo. The people whining the most about the minimum wage tend to be the people who aren't near it, but are close enough that it bothers them to see "the poors" getting closer in the rear-view mirror. Very much including small business owners, by and large.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Income inequality also contributes to poor outcomes for youth which directly correlates to an increase in crime.

NO I DON'T WANT TO PAY PEOPLE A LIVING WAGE PULL UP YOUR BOOT STRAPS AND GET A CAREER :freep:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I have on a very nice pair of blundstones thank you very much.

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 3, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wirth1000 posted:

This is just this specific Tim Horton's that happened to be owned by these pieces of poo poo? And, I assume, any other Tim Horton's they franchise.

Most of the Tim Horton's by me are all owned by corporate (TDL Group, I believe) so I'm curious to see if they follow a similar move.

Yes, it's specifically this franchisee doing this (they're out of Cobourg).

Their complaint mentions that they're not getting any support from corporate for the wage increase, as if that's something they should expect. I suspect they are morons.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I stumbled across this gem while looking up something about the minimum wage increase:

"Ontario minimum wage workers can officially begin raking in their $14 an hour this Tuesday, on the first non-holiday since the province put the increase into effect." (opening line from a CTV story)

Just RAKING IT IN, those minimum wage workers. BY THE HANDFUL, THE MONEY

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I think they were expecting some sort of rebate on their franchisee fees because of how they are job creators leaning on TFWs and the evil e:LIBERALS government is increasing their labour costs.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna make anyone who grumbles about minimum wage and bootstraps wake up at the same time as I do and walk to the day labourer office to sign in and sit hoping for a decent call-out that gives them a full 8 hours.

No taking the bus because the bus doesn't even run that early.

There are so many people in this country that are so wilfully ignorant about how little they actually work for their wage.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

Counterpoint: affluent Canadians will stand to make more money, because increasing the amount of money in the pocket of low earners will mean they spend it on stuff, which actually stimulates the economy, and then the stock market will go up and all sorts of fun poo poo. The people whining the most about the minimum wage tend to be the people who aren't near it, but are close enough that it bothers them to see "the poors" getting closer in the rear-view mirror. Very much including small business owners, by and large.

1. The people who get quoted in Toronto Star articles or who go and post angry rants on facebook aren't the ones who whine the most, they're just the ones you see the most. The people who actually matter in society do not air their grievances in public view. They have far more effective levers they can pull. Substantial amounts of money are gifted to anti-minimum wage campaigns, think tanks and politicians by corporations like Tim Hortons and by business associations like the CFIB. Businesses as a group do not share your opinion that they would benefit from giving their front-line employees higher purchasing power.

2. Redistributing wealth might stimulate more economic activity, depending on a couple other factors, but this doesn't mean that current business owners would benefit. There's no reason to think any increase in economic activity would perfectly cancel out the increase in labour costs however. If you're a lawyer or an accountant or a computer janitor then chances are you'll end up paying more for cleaning, day care, food services, etc. without seeing a huge uptick in your salary.

3. A high wage economy would trigger other social changes that would be bad for business profits. People would be more likely to quit, they'd be more likely to push for other benefits, etc. Just look at how the period of high wage growth after World War II lead to an economy paralyzed by strikes and a society in which racial and sexual minorities become much bolder about demanding equal treatment. An economy that is booming too much takes power away from business as a class and reduces the pressure to conform to social conservative norms.

4. Historically, when workers were better organized and paid there was far less of a gap between average wages and managerial wages. There's a historical relationship between union density and lower pay for CEOs. This again suggests that empowering front-line workers would reduce the wages of people at the top, even if the result was increased sales.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I imagine Tim Hortons franchise top costs are franchise fees and labour. They always seem to have a ludicrous number of employees on staff. Probably half are in training at any given time because they also appear to do things very inefficiently. Presumably this is because they have high turnover and can’t retain competent people.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Hold on a second. Are you suggesting that unpleasant jobs that pay the least amount of money allowed are often staffed by those with no other choice and don't engender a personal commitment to quality?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Nothing inspires employees like saying "I'd like to pay you less, but I legally can't"

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

If there's ever an argument to convince the "I feel safer in a larger car" people to drive smaller vehicles, this might be it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

If there's ever an argument to convince the "I feel safer in a larger car" people to drive smaller vehicles, this might be it.

It would, maybe, if that entire mindset weren't predicated on their safety at the expense of those around them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And that's an old picture, too. Not even the truck I posted, which is bigger. The article's author calls it a monster truck.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It'd be hilarious if the minister of transport designated that monstrosity as being in a different license class.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Is that thing even street legal in Quebec?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Jesus loving christ the guy that designed the 2nd gen Ram deserves to be charged with crimes against humanity it's his fault that trucks really started turning into popular dick extensions for every rear end in a top hat on the planet and now everything's all MUST BE BIGGER! BIG TRUCK GOOD! and they're becoming loving useless for actual work.

I most likely have to buy a vehicle soon but at least I can make due with a little hatchback seeing as I only have to carry my own tools and work clothes, not an entire crew's worth.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Jesus loving christ the guy that designed the 2nd gen Ram deserves to be charged with crimes against humanity it's his fault that trucks really started turning into popular dick extensions for every rear end in a top hat on the planet and now everything's all MUST BE BIGGER! BIG TRUCK GOOD! and they're becoming loving useless for actual work.

I most likely have to buy a vehicle soon but at least I can make due with a little hatchback seeing as I only have to carry my own tools and work clothes, not an entire crew's worth.

There is a Ford dealership in Barrie that advertises itself as "Selling more pickup trucks than anywhere outside Alberta" and I honestly would believe it considering how often Im surrounded by massive chromed out trucks without a ding or scratch on them and no one inside but the driver.

"But we live in the snow belt! I need a truck to get through the snow!" Except 4 out of 5 vehicles in ditches are pickup trucks because they still dont know how to loving drive them in snow anyway.

e: I dont know how this is related to politics other than we need vehicle insurance to be run by the province and all pickup trucks added to a new high risk class.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

cowofwar posted:

I imagine Tim Hortons franchise top costs are franchise fees and labour. They always seem to have a ludicrous number of employees on staff. Probably half are in training at any given time because they also appear to do things very inefficiently. Presumably this is because they have high turnover and can’t retain competent people.

The franchisees are constantly complaining and/or suing over the head office forcing them to buy sandwich grills or bagel toasters or whatever. It does sound like head office soaks them pretty badly but it also seems like most of them knew what they were getting into when they coughed up the half million and signed the contracts saying they'd buy whatever dumb equipment they were told to.

If they really don't like it maybe they could just tape over the Tim Hortons on their signs and operate as an independent lovely donut shop, like the Quiznos in Victoria did when they became Montreal Subs and Subs Plus and started selling bubble tea with their soggy sandwiches.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Furnaceface posted:

"But we live in the snow belt! I need a truck to get through the snow!" Except 4 out of 5 vehicles in ditches are pickup trucks because they still dont know how to loving drive them in snow anyway.

e: I dont know how this is related to politics other than we need vehicle insurance to be run by the province and all pickup trucks added to a new high risk class.

Agreed on a higher premium for large vehicles.

Grew up in the boonies where the roads didn't get plowed that often in the winter. At the time almost everyone drove small cars. No one needs a large truck or SUV to drive safely in thick snow.

I get it that "me safer in big car" is selfish. Perhaps I naively thought it possible to use the above version of "think of the children"
:shepface:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cougar cub posted:

I have on a very nice pair of blundstones thank you very much.

cougar cub hosed around with this message at Jan 3, 2018 around 17:27

That edit when you realize your boots have an integral boot strap

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Furnaceface posted:

Other than the obvious danger tank-like vehicles pose, the part that had me worried was about how wide it is. Vehicles that might make sense hauling cargo on an industrial site become dangerous to handle in the city with narrower lanes, sharing lanes with cyclists, and the turning radiuses of corners. Ever had to take several steps back to let a cargo truck make a right turn past you?

Not to mention that if a certain class of vehicles puts outward pressure on lane widths, that can lead to higher speeds being driven by everybody and less efficient use of streetspace.

Stuff like this can eventually lead to different road and urban design and that goes hand in hand with municipal and provincial politics.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 4, 2018

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

That edit when you realize your boots have an integral boot strap

Was actually an attempt to make a :smug: joke about expensive boots being able to be slipped on without using the strap but I hosed it up. Internet's hard.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Blundstones are good middle class boots, the kind you put on one at a time.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Beyak, still racist as gently caress

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

Other than the obvious danger tank-like vehicles pose, the part that had me worried was about how wide it is. Vehicles that might make sense hauling cargo on an industrial site become dangerous to handle in the city with narrower lanes, sharing lanes with cyclists, and the turning radiuses of corners. Ever had to take several steps back to let a cargo truck make a right turn past you?

Not to mention that if a certain class of vehicles puts outward pressure on lane widths, that can lead to higher speeds being driven by everybody and less efficient use of streetspace.

Stuff like this can eventually lead to different road and urban design and that goes hand in hand with municipal and provincial politics.

Yeah, I hated driving trucks in the city when I was working on the farm, they just feel tank-like and awkward compared to a smaller car.

Have to do it though, otherwise you're SoL for picking up parts for repairs and poo poo :shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Your fault for reading, at this point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ugggggghhhh

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, I hated driving trucks in the city when I was working on the farm, they just feel tank-like and awkward compared to a smaller car.

Have to do it though, otherwise you're SoL for picking up parts for repairs and poo poo :shrug:

For the first time in years I spent a week commuting to work because day labouring loving sucks via bike or bus and my wife was off work for the week so I drove.

It was both the easiest week I've ever had getting around and simultaneously irritating because an empty truck on icy roads sucks and I felt wasteful burning all that gas. Using the 4WD would have made it use even more.

Car commuters have nothing to bitch about when it comes to getting around. It's literally just sitting in a heated steel box having to move a circle a little bit in a city that has been built to accommodate these stupid heated metal boxes.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agreed on a higher premium for large vehicles.

Grew up in the boonies where the roads didn't get plowed that often in the winter. At the time almost everyone drove small cars. No one needs a large truck or SUV to drive safely in thick snow.

Where were you where this was common? I live in an rural farming area now and most families have an SUV/Truck and a commuter car. If the roads arent plowed, you arent going to be even able to get your toyota corolla through the side streets to the highways to drive to work since a car cant clear more than 6-12 inches of snow. Families absolutely need a Truck/Real Suv if they 100% need to show up for work everyday, regardless if the plows are servicing concessions and sideroads. A car weighs less, grips better, stops quick, and controls easier in snow, its a safer snow vehicle (unless you are in a collision with a truck). But if its deep, it wont even get on top of it and be able to leave town. Thats only like 1 or 3 days out of the year, but hey, sometimes you need a truck.

edit : That being said the meme about seeing tons of 4WD trucks in ditches is VERY true. Newer drivers thing 4x4 somehow makes you brake harder, when really it only helps with acceleration when you shouldn't be. Doesn't end well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zapplez posted:

Where were you where this was common? I live in an rural farming area now and most families have an SUV/Truck and a commuter car. If the roads arent plowed, you arent going to be even able to get your toyota corolla through the side streets to the highways to drive to work since a car cant clear more than 6-12 inches of snow. Families absolutely need a Truck/Real Suv if they 100% need to show up for work everyday, regardless if the plows are servicing concessions and sideroads. A car weighs less, grips better, stops quick, and controls easier in snow, its a safer snow vehicle (unless you are in a collision with a truck). But if its deep, it wont even get on top of it and be able to leave town. Thats only like 1 or 3 days out of the year, but hey, sometimes you need a truck.

I think they were speaking of real rurals, not just people commuting from their $3 million shitbox in Barrie to Bay Street who like to think they're "woodsy."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Wirth1000 posted:

I didn't see it come up yet, but apparently these franchisees are the daughter and son-in-law of Tim himself. It's incredible.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

zapplez posted:

Where were you where this was common? .

Rural Quebec, far from Montreal or Quebec City. Also I was born in the 70s.

If you can't drive in 6 inches of snow (with snow tires on), I'd be inclined to think the problem is behind the wheel.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
lol

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/globe-editorial-andrew-scheers-weird-tolerance-level/article37489091/

quote:

Federal Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer gave a recent interview to The Globe and Mail in which he tried to sell the Tories as Canada's party of tolerance and acceptance. He didn't nail it.

Mr. Scheer argued that his party is more tolerant of differing views than the Liberal Party is, and as proof he cited Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's requirement that Liberal MPs must support a woman's right to choose in any vote on abortion in the House of Commons.

And then he said that, if elected, he would not allow anyone in his party to table legislation to restrict or ban abortion, and that "when the [Conservative] caucus takes a final decision on a position, then the rest of the MPs are asked to support that."

There is exactly zero daylight between his position and that of Mr. Trudeau.

Mr. Scheer is personally opposed to abortion, as are many Conservative voters. And yet he insists, almost to a fault, that a Tory government led by him would silence any Conservative MPs who tried to raise the issue.

Perhaps he believes that to say otherwise would cost him votes in a country where abortion rights are supported by the majority, and by the Supreme Court.

If so, where Mr. Trudeau's position on abortion is credibly based on personal conviction, Mr. Scheer's is the ugly offspring of political expediency. As such, it is hardly evidence of his party's support for a diverse range of views.

Mr. Scheer was equally clumsy on the issue of LGBTQ rights, insisting he is a supporter. But as an MP, he voted against gay marriage in 2005, and as party leader he refuses to take part in Pride parades.

"Not everyone marches," he says. And fair enough. But while he claims the LGBTQ community should not take his absence from Pride parades as de facto proof that he isn't a supporter, he's happy to let that same absence send a signal to his political base about his beliefs.

Mr. Scheer has apparently made it a priority to rebrand his party as a Canada's brightest beacon of tolerance. Based on what we've seen, he may not be the person for the job.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rural Quebec, far from Montreal or Quebec City. Also I was born in the 70s.

If you can't drive in 6 inches of snow (with snow tires on), I'd be inclined to think the problem is behind the wheel.

The 80s were a different time. modern cars are much lower for fuel economy reasons. A 2010 toyota corolla cannot get past 8 inches of snow, its simple ground clearance.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

zapplez posted:

The 80s were a different time. modern cars are much lower for fuel economy reasons. A 2010 toyota corolla cannot get past 8 inches of snow, its simple ground clearance.

I drove a miata to and from the ski hill on days where the sideroads had 1+ ft of snow and hadn't been plowed. Ski patrol, didn't have much choice. Good winter tires and a limited slip diff go a long way. I will admit to slowing and running red lights at that time of the morning as it might have been interesting getting going again and there wasn't anyone on the roads.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Pick-up trucks kill people. The survivor rate in collisions is great in car-car and truck-truck incidents but abysmal for car drivers in car-truck incidents.

The current oversized trucks need to be placed in a separate license and insurance pool so that pressure is applied to bring in the smaller and less deadly but just as capable pick-up trucks.

People are dying over dick length ego poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
When I'm Prime Minister I will make it that the only way for anyone to purchase a pick-up truck is if they are commercially registered vehicles. All current personal pickup truck drivers will have 12 months to surrender their truck or face discipline via guillotine.