Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Elentor posted:

My performance with PoE is less than stellar as well. It somehow manages to be worse than PUBG at times which is not exactly a great benchmark. I'll run some tests but I wouldn't be surprised if things like the switch cases of strict lootfilters affected performance harder than the actual batching of the text of all items dropped on the ground. Or if there's some noticeable difference between DX9/11.

Dynamic resolution doesn't ever trigger when the FPS crashes so I'm assuming the game knows it's being a CPU bottleneck? I wish I could see the frame time split in cpu, gpu and wait for file reading.

For what it's worth in combat is certainly my worst spikes, but even with absolutely nothing else running (seriously, CPU's flatlined otherwise) I still see fairly jumpy graphs like in my screenshot up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

whypick1 posted:

Maybe for some Shaper/Elder stuff, but one thing they will be helpful for is trading up. Vendor 3 of the same type of map to get 1 map from the next tier up. That's one way to help fill out your Atlas early.

Excellent, that's what I needed to know! Thank you!

Edit - would sure be nice if magic and rare maps were color coded so you could see at a glance instead of having to mouse over them.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 4, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Maybe for some Shaper/Elder stuff, but one thing they will be helpful for is trading up. Vendor 3 of the same type of map to get 1 map from the next tier up. That's one way to help fill out your Atlas early.

poo poo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The other way is to check Zana every time you do her daily because the maps she sells aren't restricted in the same way as drops.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

whypick1 posted:

WHAT??????

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

each map upgrades into a specific map of the next tier when you vendor 3 of them.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

frajaq posted:

WHAT??????

thread has been :shobon: as gently caress lately

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

thread has been :shobon: as gently caress lately

earlier in chat someone with an essence tab said they had only just noticed the upgrade button after months and was still vendor-upgrading

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Life is awesome and this is incredible

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Bleeding will show up in the top-right corner.
Could also be poison, which will also appear in the top-right corner, and will stack.

I'm not sure which is broken, my UI or your ability to distinguish left from right.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ubachung posted:

I'm not sure which is broken, my UI or your ability to distinguish left from right.

I wish there was a way to put debuffs in one corner, and buffs in the other so I don't panic when I see a big row of icons when all my stuff from my build starts proccing in combat. :)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

ubachung posted:

Wow, I really hosed that one up, didn't I?

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

earlier in chat someone with an essence tab said they had only just noticed the upgrade button after months and was still vendor-upgrading

I dont have an essence tab but can you upgrade essences the same way you can do with maps?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

West007 posted:

I dont have an essence tab but can you upgrade essences the same way you can do with maps?

Yes you can, 3 sold to a vendor becomes one of the next tier of the same type.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Seems like a lot of you could use a gander at the vendor recipes. Yes, there is a chaos orb recipe. No, don't do it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Seems like a lot of you could use a gander at the vendor recipes. Yes, there is a chaos orb recipe. No, don't do it.

That goes double for the regal recipe

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Wow, I really hosed that one up, didn't I?

If it makes you feel any better I just spent ~30 chaos buying blind on hit jewels and then remembered I'm using kaom's roots. :downs:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

this, seriously

the identified chaos recipe is objectively worse than the unid chaos recipe, because you could side track some of the extra chaos generated, and use them to alch good bases. using a wisdom scroll on a rare amulet has an identical outcome to using an alchemy orb on a white amulet, and wouldn't you rather alch a white onyx amulet than a coral amulet?

but then you do the maths on the currency generation, and the time it takes to assemble the components without being bottlenecked by one part of the recipe, and the time it takes to sort through the items on the ground, when you could simply pick up all currency that drops, vendor anything that doesn't match the "theoretically sellable" heuristic you have in your head, and move on to the next map

and then you work out how to sextant your atlas properly, and speed chain maps only picking up currency

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

And then you realize your definition of fun has changed from "finding a kickass rare" to "reaching 300 chaos/hour"

Not that I'm judging, lord knows, it's just pretty different

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

With the Ancestral Call on a single target thing, when you intentionally whiff, does the melee strike from the ghosts have a chance to actually hit the target they selected? Or are they guaranteed to miss (but still generate their proc, as in Molten Strike)?

Guild/dbk suggested I follow a forum build to use HoWA on a CI/ZO inquisitor which sounds fun but the build as written uses blade flurry and nuts to that skill!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

And then you realize your definition of fun has changed from "finding a kickass rare" to "reaching 300 chaos/hour"

Not that I'm judging, lord knows, it's just pretty different

Yeah, part of the reason I play is so I can scratch my gambling itch on identifying rares. But that just means use a strict or super strict loot filter.

Now that my minions murder everything, I pretty much just go around opening chests while they do all the work.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Personally I don't feel like there's any point in doing maps if you don't pick up at least SOME of the rares that drop, and the "math" involving currency/hour assumes you're just slamming one map after another, which is not how most people play.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
If you dont have poe.trade open on five monitors, sit in your hideout 100% of the time and just flip currency sitting in your gaming throne wearing french cuffs and suspenders then wtf are you playing this game for gordon gekko

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

I run at this resolution with a 6700k, a 1080ti and a g-sync monitor, all graphics options on maximum, and I get slightly higher fps than your graph, but not by a huge amount and similarly spiky. Weirdly, the graphics card is not under load generally - the fans don't spin up. In real fullscreen instead of borderless window, the fps is much higher, like 200-300 minimum. But that stops poe trade macro from working so isn't really usable.

Also, if I have chrome playing a video on my second monitor (different res and refresh rate), I'll get frequent drops to exactly 24 fps, so I'm using firefox for that now. That was a real pain in the rear end to diagnose.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I did chaos recipe twice this league because navali told me to

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Awesome! posted:

one build guide i tried recommended cwdt-flame dash which i tried and it is the most annoying thing ever so dont do that one

I was having trouble flame dashing between pillars in Pillars of Arun. Then I remembered this bad idea and my problems were solved.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What build should I try if I want to clear areas and bosses faster then spectres, which is already absurdly fast?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What build should I try if I want to clear areas and bosses faster then spectres, which is already absurdly fast?

Wander + looots of money

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ngamahu Slayer is really fast too. And very good!

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Flicker strike with oni-goroshi is the fastest build I’ve used this league, but I do still need to use blade flurry to kill bosses in most red maps.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So is this not normal fps play?

my 2600k 1070 @1440 plays ffxiv, warframe smooth as butter but this game looks more like that. It's definitely playable but not diablo smooth by any means.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Dunno about FFXIV, but Warframe is literally made of magic. The computers it can run on is truly astounding. I can't remember if it was denzine or malachite in the Warframe thread, but one of them ran it on a ridiculously old piece of poo poo PC and it was playable.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

So I almost be at Shaper on my first attempt last night but I lost a portal to the game crashing on entry randomly and I'm still a little salty about it.

That fight is really cool though! I'd seen it done but actually playing it for the first time is hectic and exciting and just generally awesome. I was worried I wouldn't have the single target needed because I hear about these dumb 3 million++++ shaper dps builds or whatever but it was more than fine. I'M definitely going to make sure I kill him before I'm done with the league.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Ciaphas posted:

With the Ancestral Call on a single target thing, when you intentionally whiff, does the melee strike from the ghosts have a chance to actually hit the target they selected? Or are they guaranteed to miss (but still generate their proc, as in Molten Strike)?

Guild/dbk suggested I follow a forum build to use HoWA on a CI/ZO inquisitor which sounds fun but the build as written uses blade flurry and nuts to that skill!

I'm doing CI HOWA Inquisitor but with molten strike instead. It's real good and fun. Just changed the tree in that guide slightly to fit two wildfire jewels in on the way to unwavering stance, and I've got something like 35% less ele damage taken with wise oak and incandescent heart (balanced resists somehow, lol).

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/mrdespair/characters it's HOWAsNeverDie for reference (it does die, but not to much... Can facetank shapers beam attack with flasks up)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
another take I like on the lowlife guardian, by Waggle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwRRFZTSngA&t=624s

starts basically at 1.5ex for the uniques and can scale up p hard with expensive jewels and rares

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Wezlar posted:

So I almost be at Shaper on my first attempt last night but I lost a portal to the game crashing on entry randomly and I'm still a little salty about it.

That fight is really cool though! I'd seen it done but actually playing it for the first time is hectic and exciting and just generally awesome. I was worried I wouldn't have the single target needed because I hear about these dumb 3 million++++ shaper dps builds or whatever but it was more than fine. I'M definitely going to make sure I kill him before I'm done with the league.

I had to put npc sounds on just for that fight to hear all the dialogue. Much better fight than the boring elder one

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Per chris on reddit it's basically ready for the non chinese realms too (if it's not clear pressing alt shows the the tier and its range for the mods on an item).

Not available for the trade api yet though.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

NPR Journalizard posted:

That goes double for the regal recipe

that goes quinquagintuple for the exalted orb recipe

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

West007 posted:

It is in fact, the only way to get the two top tiers of essences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

It is in fact, the only way to get the two top tiers of essences.

One of the results of a remnant of corruption is to upgrade the tier of essences contained within, so it's possible to get Shrieking essences without trading up. .