Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

scamtank posted:

Not before multi-tile creatures come into play, probably.

I'm excited for "The Borrowers -- The Game" with Bronze Colossus civs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spanish Matlock posted:

Those are down ramps, not up ramps.

D'oh.

Montalvo posted:

Yeah, the channeling was a dumb idea. I'll just seal this one off when it freezes in the winter and make a new one.

When you have some idle workers it might be a good idea to construct a floor over the top of the channel as well, unless you intend it to be a murder moat. Dwarfs are dumb and will happily walk across ice and then in the spring the ice melts instantly and now someone is drowning. Alternately you could use traffic priority designations to discourage them from walking across the top of the murder moat.
Ponds are a menace too, but with the trench being 2 levels deep it is exceedingly unlikely anyone will get out if they fall in.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nowadays I put all workshops in series of three of the same kind in a big 9x6 room where the bottom 3x6 squares are for relevant stockpiles, plus a stairway linking it to an identical room producing something else that may be necessary for the first room, so I have a bunch of wood furnaces right on top of my metal forges and so on.

Now I'm building a new fort, from the beginning I'm trying to make it so that there's a minecart route between my farm area and the main fort, since dwarves walking to eat and drink all the way in the farm area is a pain in the rear end. It sort of works but not really as well as I'd like.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Facebook Aunt posted:

D'oh.

When you have some idle workers it might be a good idea to construct a floor over the top of the channel as well, unless you intend it to be a murder moat. Dwarfs are dumb and will happily walk across ice and then in the spring the ice melts instantly and now someone is drowning. Alternately you could use traffic priority designations to discourage them from walking across the top of the murder moat.
Ponds are a menace too, but with the trench being 2 levels deep it is exceedingly unlikely anyone will get out if they fall in.

It's actually kind of interesting to me that with all of Toady's realism obsession he never got around to implementing buoyancy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's actually kind of interesting to me that with all of Toady's realism obsession he never got around to implementing buoyancy.

All the heavy metals the dwarfs ingest and inhale make them super dense.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I wonder if Toady is ever gonna change cage traps being able to magically ensnare everything from a capybara to a bronze colossus.

Honestly a cage trap should be functionality a strength check

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lawman 0 posted:

Honestly a cage trap should be functionality a strength check

Cage traps are a stand in for a bunch of trap types. Could be pit traps. Net traps. It ought to be fairly simple to build a pit trap that will capture huge things and nothing else using floor materials that will collapse under X weight -- digging a big hole and covering it is well within the capabilities of first year forts but unfortunately that isn't a construction option. (You can build pit traps involving a pressure plate and retracting bridge, but that's much more complex.)

Boulder traps are weird too. For a while there it seemed like everything could easily dodge the boulder with little or no damage, a whole corridor of them was more likely to skill up the enemy than kill them (don't know if that has changed I haven't tried one in years). How the gently caress do they work anyway? I mean, you can set them outside. Where is the boulder? How does no one notice they are walking under precariously suspended big rocks? They are cheap and simple to build, but you hardly ever see anyone using them these days.

Since weapons take damage now, the weapon traps aren't as good as they used to be either. Is it even worth putting glass disks or obsidian swords in them anymore?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah better traps would be a major improvement to the game, maybe even things like pressure plate triggered circular saws and swinging axes moving along hallways, like something from Orcs Must Die.

I just use cage traps for everything. The fun is in creating arenas and pit drops and dungeons where gobbos get chased by a giant earthworm or something.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 3, 2018

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I'm having trouble with grazing pets starving to death. They seem to just wander off into a temple while their owners do other stuff, and then eventually starve. This hasn't ever been a problem before, and I have plenty of food available, so I don't see why it happens. Can the pets still eat if I pasture them on grass, or are they completely reliant on their owners? I tried it briefly, and they still looked hungry, but maybe they just needed more time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You should still be able to assign pets to a pasture. If there is not enough grazing area in the pasture though you might be in for trouble.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The correct solution to pets is lock the owner somewhere and butcher them

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

You should still be able to assign pets to a pasture. If there is not enough grazing area in the pasture though you might be in for trouble.

I could assign them, they just didn't seem to be eating. I'll throw them back in and let them stay there until the problem goes away, one way or the other.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

The correct solution to pets is lock the owner somewhere and butcher them

Idk the owner would probably still be more useful for hauling than burger filling

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Make sure you have n for pasture and not p for pond selected. That got me earlier.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Since weapons take damage now, the weapon traps aren't as good as they used to be either. Is it even worth putting glass disks or obsidian swords in them anymore?
Well, glass discs, something you can produce infinitely if you have magma and suitable sand on your map, seem like one of the best choices for use in the trap. Just make a minecart-powered quantum stockpile of them near where you want your weapon traps I guess.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Two questions:

Why do my miners constantly lose their picks, particularly when removing ramps? I quite often see a job cancellation alert about it, "Urist McMiner, Miner cancels Remove Stairs/Ramps: Lost pick".

Do I need to actively do anything about old, worn clothing or can I ignore it? I've set up a production line, with conditions like this, and it seems to produce enough clothing for everyone at least. I assume the check for "available" things only looks for unused stuff in stockpiles, and doesn't count the stuff people are wearing/using?

Strigil
Oct 26, 2004
So I am working on a kind of Wiki thing for legends mode. The xml export is a mess so the going is slow so I am working on just getting the data linked all together and then I will work on presentation.

View all the sites and a little info (more will be added like population, number of artifacts held etc.)

Site details

Entity details

I am working on getting historical events right now, so that will be fun

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
After getting bored to death in my evil desert that gets no migrants or caravans(but gets an alarming number of people wanting to visit the tavern and sometimes live there permanently, loving hipsters), I started on a lake with sand desert and rocky badlands around it.

Iron, flux, and coal found within the first 5 non-soil z-levels. :getin: I feel like it's been ages since I've had a fort with more than one of the three, so it's refreshing to have all three from the get-go.

Apoffys posted:

Do I need to actively do anything about old, worn clothing or can I ignore it? I've set up a production line, with conditions like this, and it seems to produce enough clothing for everyone at least. I assume the check for "available" things only looks for unused stuff in stockpiles, and doesn't count the stuff people are wearing/using?

As long as your dwarfs aren't wearing more than one or two pieces of worn clothing each(they should automatically replace worn clothes with new clothes as they're produced), you're fine. If they have more worn clothes than that, something's gone wrong in your production chain and you aren't keeping up with demand. Although nothing super bad happens as long as their feet, upper body, and lower body are still covered, so you can theoretically get away with just producing dresses(which cover both upper and lower body, iirc) and shoes(or socks) and dealing with the inital complaints as all the other clothing types rot away.

Worn clothing in stockpiles makes ideal trading fodder, if you want to get it out of your fort.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Haifisch posted:

As long as your dwarfs aren't wearing more than one or two pieces of worn clothing each(they should automatically replace worn clothes with new clothes as they're produced), you're fine. If they have more worn clothes than that, something's gone wrong in your production chain and you aren't keeping up with demand. Although nothing super bad happens as long as their feet, upper body, and lower body are still covered, so you can theoretically get away with just producing dresses(which cover both upper and lower body, iirc) and shoes(or socks) and dealing with the inital complaints as all the other clothing types rot away.

Worn clothing in stockpiles makes ideal trading fodder, if you want to get it out of your fort.

There do seem to be a few dwarves wandering around with worn clothes, but they're mostly fine. I'm guessing they're just slow to switch it out or something, I seem to have a small inventory of the things they're missing. Trading away worn clothing seems a bit tedious, because it's all mixed with the good stuff I want to keep. Is there a quick way to separate worn clothing?

I just noticed my manager has been hoarding clothes in his office for some inexplicable reason though. 18 pieces of various clothing, both worn and unworn, literally covering the floor of his 3x3 office. Perhaps they all want to hoard clothes, and he was the only one with a space of his own to keep it in? I only just started handing out bedrooms to the working classes.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Some random things:

Despite the meetings topping once I hit a population big enough a mayor was elected, they started happening again after I killed some of the people who wandered into a lake. There used to be an old bug where meetings would stop if someone who was supposed to go to a meeting just didn't and then resume if they were killed, it looked like that happened. I did save most of the people in the lake but some of them didn't bother to go out the exit I made so I killed them so they'd make room for non-stupid fort visitors (yeah, right!)

A Honey Badger Lady was so enamored with a book she stole it. Nothing showed up in crimes (not surprising, as visitors that leave no longer show up there), but she returned a year later and still wasn't listed as a criminal, which seems like there is no real punishment for stealing the book. Weirdly, she brought the book back and requested to be a resident, which I granted because why not?

We finally got sieged after 7 years and before I rebuilt all the traps after the dragon fire, the army completely destroyed them with zero casualties, the only person in the hospital was someone who basically fell asleep while fighting and was dragged their to finish their nap.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tars Tarkas posted:

Some random things:

Despite the meetings topping once I hit a population big enough a mayor was elected, they started happening again after I killed some of the people who wandered into a lake. There used to be an old bug where meetings would stop if someone who was supposed to go to a meeting just didn't and then resume if they were killed, it looked like that happened. I did save most of the people in the lake but some of them didn't bother to go out the exit I made so I killed them so they'd make room for non-stupid fort visitors (yeah, right!)

A Honey Badger Lady was so enamored with a book she stole it. Nothing showed up in crimes (not surprising, as visitors that leave no longer show up there), but she returned a year later and still wasn't listed as a criminal, which seems like there is no real punishment for stealing the book. Weirdly, she brought the book back and requested to be a resident, which I granted because why not?

We finally got sieged after 7 years and before I rebuilt all the traps after the dragon fire, the army completely destroyed them with zero casualties, the only person in the hospital was someone who basically fell asleep while fighting and was dragged their to finish their nap.

clearly she had her library card and remembered to pay back the late fee

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As far as I know visitors to a library can and frequently do take your books with them when they leave, and also occasionally bring books with them and leave them in your library.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If I recall right people taking books out of libraries is so they can take them to other libraries where they can be copied. Supposed to simulate the spread of written knowledge.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
In other words, if you're really attached to your books, make sure you have a scribe making copies of them and enough scrolls(or actual books, but that's a lot of extra work for no gain) for them to copy with.

Or just accept that your library will be a gradually changing stock of books. It's a net gain since it gives your dwarves a steady way to satisfy their needs for abstract thought and learning.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Apoffys posted:

Two questions:

Why do my miners constantly lose their picks, particularly when removing ramps? I quite often see a job cancellation alert about it, "Urist McMiner, Miner cancels Remove Stairs/Ramps: Lost pick".

Are there any animals around? Picks get stuck in things easily. There is also the occasional z-level shenanigans.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

I can't believe my dwarves have an entire god dedicated to russian roulette.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It always seems like all of the dwarves will worship gods that take the form of dwarves but then you have the few contrarian assholes that are following a loving ant instead.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I embarked with a ton of drakes, will they eventually get big enough for my dwarves to ride and breathe fire and poo poo?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Haifisch posted:

I can't believe my dwarves have an entire god dedicated to russian roulette.

“The Tournament of Diamonds” does sound like some kind of badass fantasy Russian Roullete game with religious significance. Something the plucky underdog hero needs to win to earn the dwarves’ trust.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Turtlicious posted:

I embarked with a ton of drakes, will they eventually get big enough for my dwarves to ride and breathe fire and poo poo?

Uh... I think those are probably drakes as in "male ducks"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have never been more disappointed in my life.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Turtlicious posted:

I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is, through modding the RAWs, anything is possible.

E: That joke would have been a little punchier if I could draw just a little quicker.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

CassandraSupreme posted:

Are there any animals around? Picks get stuck in things easily. There is also the occasional z-level shenanigans.

There are animals around, but they don't seem to be fighting the miners. I'm guessing it's something to do with z-level shenanigans then, since it usually happens when they're working on ramps.

Are sieges still not back in the game by the way? I'm 3 years into my new fort and I still haven't seen a single goblin. The only attackers so far have been wildlife and a single human werebear child. Giant Keas were quite annoying, since they just wanted to scare my dwarves away from working and refused to fight. That problem disappeared once I managed to hand out some crossbows and bolts though.

Actually, it seems like the goblins might have been destroyed after I founded my fort, because they're not in the list of civilizations anymore. I'm fairly sure they were listed as neighbours when I started the fort though. I guess I'll just have to provoke the elves instead...

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Turtlicious posted:

i feel you bro

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

A monitor is a lizard

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
If you are itching for a fight, go start one. You can be the invader, do it enough and it starts a war.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Does that also start a war with your own civ? Just wondering, if your own civ reacts to the loose cannon among it's fortresses in any way.

Windy Skunk
Jun 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Tried doing that. Still sometimes burst into flames. Temperature, like many things in Dwarf Fortress, is beyond my understanding.

Try adding [SPEC_HEAT:0] to your material. It will still come out super hot, but it will be unable to actually heat anything.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

It always seems like all of the dwarves will worship gods that take the form of dwarves but then you have the few contrarian assholes that are following a loving ant instead.
And a volcano wombat. At least the ant makes sense in a "it's the miner of the insect world" way.

Turtlicious posted:

Nosfereefer posted:

i feel you bro
Don't forget the forgotten beasts in the form of giant asses.

As in donkeys.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm about ready to give up on making TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW breath attacks work. No matter what properties I give the material it uses it always seems to create a cloud of scalding liquid flame. But hey, at least I got confirmation I made the breath properly manipulate the victim's emotions.

I believe you posted a pastebin for this breath attack before, but I can't seem to find it. Mind posting it again so I can have a look, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I believe you posted a pastebin for this breath attack before, but I can't seem to find it. Mind posting it again so I can have a look, please?

https://pastebin.com/5SBTZzdW

I changed it to a gas attack because I gave up on trying to make it work, but you can switch it back to a vapor if you want to try making it not ignite.