Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RCarr posted:

It has nothing to do with your job. Most people work 9-5, which is about the same amount of time you go to high school for each day. What I was getting at was most adults have exponentially more responsibilities than they did as high school kids. I can't even imagine ever having as much free time as I did when I was in high school.

I work 8-5, sometimes 8-6 if I need more money, but I’m living in a house that’s paid off so it’s only relatively cheap utility bills and taxes. What other responsibilities should I be having?

School was 7 hours of classes a day, but with extracurricular activities I could be there for up to 12 hours and then had homework every day. Most of my “free time” was taken up with more schoolwork. I don’t take work home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

chitoryu12 posted:

I work 8-5, sometimes 8-6 if I need more money, but I’m living in a house that’s paid off so it’s only relatively cheap utility bills and taxes. What other responsibilities should I be having?

School was 7 hours of classes a day, but with extracurricular activities I could be there for up to 12 hours and then had homework every day. Most of my “free time” was taken up with more schoolwork. I don’t take work home.

You obviously didn't poo poo out small humans.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If you're single, childless, and have reasonable hours and you were a serious student as a child it's totally reasonable. It's 35 hours in school versus about 40 at work, but without the 12+ hours per week of homework from my wall of AP classes and however many hours of orchestra practice, and I didn't even do sports or clubs.

This wouldn't be the case if I had a child or had some god awful retail job, but you said "adult" not "parent" or "dejected wageslave."

eugh dude, get over yourself

chitoryu12 posted:

wow look an almost exact copy of the same self congratulatory post

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Jan 3, 2018

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ugh how dare someone elses experiences differ from mine what assholes

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I dunno, I like being able to catch the 5:03 train (most days) and I can be in my door in about a half hour with no work worries. Some of us get lucky with the work/life ratio.

Rare photo of Wilford Cutlery enjoying his work/life ratio.

EDIT:

Even with one arm Wilford is not someone to mess with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gX2pK1mioU&t=164s

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Waci posted:

Ugh how dare someone elses experiences differ from mine what assholes

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bombadilillo posted:

You obviously didn't poo poo out small humans.

I did not. I had plans for kids, but that went pretty south a few months ago.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

loss.jpg

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

:eyepop:

hosed up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Two ways this can go.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dick Trauma posted:

Rare photo of Wilford Cutlery enjoying his work/life ratio.

EDIT:

Even with one arm Wilford is not someone to mess with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gX2pK1mioU&t=164s

What can I say? It's a good life.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's not what happened, and honestly you're kinda lucky that your coin flip on that joke didn't go the other way.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

You are extremely fortunate.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I'm taking a poo poo at work and wanted to see badass poo poo wtf thread!!

How about a new thread rule if anyone argues dumb bullshit in here they have to meet irl and have some kind of badass fight for our entertainment, preferably as homoerotic as possible.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Greco-Roman slapfight?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

chitoryu12 posted:

honestly you're kinda lucky that your coin flip on that joke didn't go the other way.

or what? you'd cry? beat him up?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Nobody mentioned how much easier it is to learn stuff as a kid? When you are young, your brain is more malleable, you are more accustomed to situations where you have to sit and listen and learn. When you are an adult, you've already built up all these bad habits in your mind and learning something completely new takes considerably more effort and patience.

Even the happy retired people I knew resumed hobbies or passions they had when they were young. None just picked up something brand new and went all-out on it to the point they'd make the same progress in five years that a kid would have made.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Being an adult who didn't make the colossal mistake of having kids early (or at all) loving rules.

Sorry to all you dingbats that thought a kid would fix your lovely life but don't take it out on the world.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to drink a lot of gin on a Wednesday night and play violent video games.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Panfilo posted:

Nobody mentioned how much easier it is to learn stuff as a kid? When you are young, your brain is more malleable, you are more accustomed to situations where you have to sit and listen and learn. When you are an adult, you've already built up all these bad habits in your mind and learning something completely new takes considerably more effort and patience.

Even the happy retired people I knew resumed hobbies or passions they had when they were young. None just picked up something brand new and went all-out on it to the point they'd make the same progress in five years that a kid would have made.

You're way more aware of the learning process when you're an adult, which can be both extremely fulfilling and extremely frustrating

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Inzombiac posted:

Being an adult who didn't make the colossal mistake of having kids early (or at all) loving rules.

Sorry to all you dingbats that thought a kid would fix your lovely life but don't take it out on the world.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to drink a lot of gin on a Wednesday night and play violent video games.

*hugs my child, the center of my world and the best thing that ever happened to me*

edit: but not really I'm a childless disaster

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ladron posted:

or what? you'd cry? beat him up?

Or it would have been an unfathomably cruel thing to say.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is stupid, stop it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

This is stupid, stop it.

aw come on, Keith David was just about to put on the glasses

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

It's called plasticity vs. "concrete" knowledge.

One of the symptoms of senility or Alzheimer's is a change in musical taste.

And god help me I got a cuntry boner that won't go down (it won't go down)

I hosed the Judds

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Somewhere in the distant future, there will be animal phrenologists, ready and willing to help star-traveling Earthmen with their issues. :unsmith:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Somewhere in the distant future, there will be animal phrenologists, ready and willing to help star-traveling Earthmen with their issues. :unsmith:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ed: The cover art story (it's an album by Frank Zappa) is pretty cool.
http://diffuser.fm/cover-stories-weasels-ripped-my-flesh/

Pigsfeet on Rye has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Jan 4, 2018

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Retrophrenologists.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

chitoryu12 posted:

That's not what happened, and honestly you're kinda lucky that your coin flip on that joke didn't go the other way.

nvm

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Jan 4, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
eh

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Jan 4, 2018

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Ackshully, Honor Harrington's treecat Nimitz isn't a phrenologist. He's a six-limbed telepathic alien COMPANION that adopted HER and their relationship forms the cornerstone of the SERIES.

This is me, btw:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Are you... supposed to have a pistol drawn while walking through a line of salutes? Did Patton start this?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Catseye by Andre Norton?

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Scaramouche posted:

Are you... supposed to have a pistol drawn while walking through a line of salutes? Did Patton start this?

I'll have you know she was challenged to an HONORABLE DUEL by the COWARD who was hired to murder her FIRST ever LOVER and then proceeded to CHALLENGE and DEFEAT the killer AND the man who hired him and this picture represents the moment she went to the ship's SHOOTING RANGE to refresh her ANCIENT-STYLE .45 PISTOL SKILLS aboard the SHIP SHE COMMANDED.

(I'll stop. I didn't even have to look any of it up. I'm not sure that's the correct cover, though. But she is wearing the Star of Grayson, so it seems like the right time period.)

Tears for Fears
Aug 26, 2005

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

Why would he be lucky?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Malachi Constant posted:

I'll have you know she was challenged to an HONORABLE DUEL by the COWARD who was hired to murder her FIRST ever LOVER and then proceeded to CHALLENGE and DEFEAT the killer AND the man who hired him and this picture represents the moment she went to the ship's SHOOTING RANGE to refresh her ANCIENT-STYLE .45 PISTOL SKILLS aboard the SHIP SHE COMMANDED.

(I'll stop. I didn't even have to look any of it up. I'm not sure that's the correct cover, though. But she is wearing the Star of Grayson, so it seems like the right time period.)

And techno babble about how all modern firearms have a scannable energy source and she had to sneak a firearm into a hostage negotiation. (poo poo that's a different plot)

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Tears for Fears posted:

Why would he be lucky?

I asked the same question, and another dude said something about it being cruel, so I guess there are a lot of first time internet users here today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

EmptyVessel posted:

Catseye by Andre Norton?

Correct!