Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Force is not a metaphor for God; it is God. The films take place in our universe, albeit in the past.

You ask how Vader can be God, when he is only a cyborg with mutant flesh. Well, how can Christ be God? Christ is just a man who was tortured to death, nailed to a cross. “Ecce homo!” - “Behold the man!”

The point is, again, that ‘only a suffering God can save us’. God suffers in solidarity with humanity.

The problem is, the force seems to have no voice in the Star Wars films. It has no Christ character, because there is no character who seemingly acts without sin, i.e. entirely in keeping with the will of the force (God). The best we get is that the force seems to want, or revert to, "balance." This is entirely contrary to the admonition of the new man of God, the new Adam, Christ, who instructs us to become perfect. The vision of God present is less based on a classical Christian view and more resembles a pantheist, "nature is God" view, which ultimately leads to monism. Where does the force suffer? The force allows Obi-Wan to hear the voices of Alderaan crying out, but is that the force crying out? No, it is the voices of men, broadcast through an immaterial power which seems to cast no judgment upon the workings of the Empire which snuffed them out.

Edit: Ok, I get it, SMG is just parroting Zizek's heretical reading of scripture now. Zizek's reading would work were it not for the Resurrection and the Transfiguration which precede both, which show that Christ conquers death through death.

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blue Star posted:

So the Force was never real within the narrative, then. Thats what I was asking. The Force was a myth, and the Jedi were just psychic mutants that manipulated people into believing there was a Force and that they alone could tap into it. This would cause people to revere the Jedi as being holy men, prophets, saints, avatars of the divine, and chosen ones. But their psychic powers have nothing to do with a mystical energy field generated by all living things, and there never WAS an energy field generated by all living things.

I admit i would prefer it if the Force was a really real thing in Star Wars (I've always enjoyed the mystical, spiritual, transcendent themes), but this is an interesting way to look at it. If the Jedi were hucksters, what were the Sith? The Sith, interestingly, do not seem to want to make people revere them. Palpatine doesn't try to make people revere the Sith and neither does Vader, or Maul, or Count Dooku. Palpatine was happy to just sit on his throne and have his Empire; he didnt seem to care if his underlings believed in the Force. So if the Jedi are organized religion, would the Sith be secular power? Fascism, capitalism, big government, corporations, industry, and all that? The Jedi fear they are losing their influence on the galaxy, and the Sith, through the Empire, are ascendent. Secularism wins in the prequels and the Original Trilogy is about restoring the old religion.

If thats true, what is the sequel trilogy about?

To be clear, nobody is being manipulated per se. The Jedi all genuinely believe that they are blessed by God - and why not? The cells of their bodies actually do emit a measurable ‘psychokinetic’ energy field, similar to magnetism. (“Fuckin’ midichlorians - how do they work?”) The Jedi are okay with this supremacism, because they believe God is fundamentally harmonious and balanced - God is moral.

The Sith, however, understand the truth: the ‘natural’ state of the universe is imbalance and disharmony. The God of the Jedi is a dark God, that they fear. “The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.” What this means is that the Jedi try to cover up their darkness with cheap moralism - but Palpatine shows how quickly they abandon their principles when the chips are down.

In other words, the Sith are a cynical version of the Jedi - diabolical accelerationists who take the internet-worship of the Jedi to its logical conclusion.

The sequel films are basically just clumsily reiterating what was already shown in the prequels.

CountFosco posted:

The problem is, the force seems to have no voice in the Star Wars films. It has no Christ character, because there is no character who seemingly acts without sin, i.e. entirely in keeping with the will of the force (God). The best we get is that the force seems to want, or revert to, "balance." This is entirely contrary to the admonition of the new man of God, the new Adam, Christ, who instructs us to become perfect. The vision of God present is less based on a classical Christian view and more resembles a pantheist, "nature is God" view, which ultimately leads to monism. Where does the force suffer? The force allows Obi-Wan to hear the voices of Alderaan crying out, but is that the force crying out? No, it is the voices of men, broadcast through an immaterial power which seems to cast no judgment upon the workings of the Empire which snuffed them out.

Well what you are presenting here is a Catholic view of Christ, which you contrast with expository dialogue about the Jedi belief system. My Christianity is more radical.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
While literary criticism is generally a crock, I have to admit I'm getting genuinely interested in this completely deranged discussion.

Perhaps TLJ is still antilegomena, while the prequels are more deuterocanonical?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Well what you are presenting here is a Catholic view of Christ, which you contrast with expository dialogue about the Jedi belief system. My Christianity is more radical.

It's also an Orthodox view, as well.

I'm a communist, but my communism is more radical: it involves private property, a theocratic state, and a strict hierarchy. It's definitely more radical than Lenin's.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

CountFosco posted:

Edit: Ok, I get it, SMG is just parroting Zizek's heretical reading of scripture now. Zizek's reading would work were it not for the Resurrection and the Transfiguration which precede both, which show that Christ conquers death through death.

Zizek would say the Force is bougie zen buddhism and he's right

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Zizek would say the Force is bougie zen buddhism and he's right

You have no idea what you're talking about

Also Star Trek sucks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They weren't horses tho. It was more complex that that from both directions really. Even in real life horses aren't "horses".

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Yaws posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about

Also Star Trek sucks

Zizek is a personal friend of mine and he confided in me that he's extremely ashamed of SMG's posts.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

He said "my god, it is the ultimate disgust. With typical disgust, you know, it is dead bodies, and poo poo, and these things are entropy. They are, I would say, a reminder, that physical things are not permanent, the loved one and the good food and so on. But then there are ideas, symbols, and we make these things and hope that they will be more permanent, but then you see they are misunderstood, and misused, as with SMG's posts, and it is a new kind of disgust you cannot escape."

Sorry, his words, not mine.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks man I was hoping this forum had a lil more lonely constant gbs-style posting so ur appearance is a real relief

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Imagine all you assholes getting this worked up for the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and canon because that’s the actual Star Wars of the present and not this grand cultural thing you all read about on Wookeepedia.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Imagine all you assholes getting this worked up for the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and canon because that’s the actual Star Wars of the present and not this grand cultural thing you all read about on Wookeepedia.

It's spelled Wookieepedia. So much for your credibility.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's spelled Wookieepedia. So much for your credibility.

Do you think Captain Jack’s uncle will play a pivotal role in the upcoming PoC7? I think it could be a seminal bridge from OT PoC to ST PoC but maybe it’ll piss off the fanboys who spend all their time on Piratefront.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

To be clear, nobody is being manipulated per se. The Jedi all genuinely believe that they are blessed by God - and why not? The cells of their bodies actually do emit a measurable ‘psychokinetic’ energy field, similar to magnetism. (“Fuckin’ midichlorians - how do they work?”) The Jedi are okay with this supremacism, because they believe God is fundamentally harmonious and balanced - God is moral.

The Sith, however, understand the truth: the ‘natural’ state of the universe is imbalance and disharmony. The God of the Jedi is a dark God, that they fear. “The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.” What this means is that the Jedi try to cover up their darkness with cheap moralism - but Palpatine shows how quickly they abandon their principles when the chips are down.

In other words, the Sith are a cynical version of the Jedi - diabolical accelerationists who take the internet-worship of the Jedi to its logical conclusion.

The sequel films are basically just clumsily reiterating what was already shown in the prequels.

I think its interesting that the Jedi and the Sith are so similar, and aren't just opposite "Good guys and Bad guys". The Prequels did a lot to explore this concept and the nature of the Jedi and the Sith, and actually made Star Wars more interesting.

Its a shame that the Sequel Trilogy hasnt done this. You say its clumsily reiterating what was already shown in the Prequels, but i think the Sequel movies are simply giving fans what they think they want. No discussion of politics, no mention of midichlorians, no Jar Jar Binks, no child actors, no battle droids, and more stormtroopers, x-wings, tie fighters, star destroyers, AT-ATs, and so on. The story of Episode 7 is a remake of A New Hope with some details changed. There are so many stories you can tell and so many ways to explore these ideas but instead they just cribbed from A New Hope.

Disney gave audiences "classic" Star Wars, the way Star Wars is "supposed to be", without goofy sidekicks, too much CGI, and all that, even though the movies still contain those elements (what is Finn but a goofy sidekick at this point? He's not allowed to accomplish anything. And there's plenty of CGI and stupid-looking aliens in the Sequels). But there's no joy in any of this. I think the Prequels are visually very entertaining. I love the weird universe that Lucas created. The Prequels had tons of memorable and interesting things in it: the underwater bubble city, Coruscant, sea monsters, the gladiatorial arena with more monsters, flying bug people, tons of weird robots, giant lizards. It's so Flash Gordon-y and fun. The Sequels are so boring looking. And they haven't done anything interesting.

What does it mean to be a radical Christian?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Star posted:

What does it mean to be a radical Christian?

The guy who blew up a building when Clinton was elected?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In 1996 three men—Charles Barbee, Robert Berry and Jay Merelle—were charged with two bank robberies and bombings at the banks, a Spokane newspaper, and a Planned Parenthood office in Washington State. The men were anti-Semitic Christian Identity theorists who believed that God wanted them to carry out violent attacks and that such attacks would hasten the ascendancy of the Aryan race.

1n 1993 Dr. David Gunn was shot and killed by an opponent of abortion during a protest outside his clinic in Pensacola, Fla. His death was the first known killing of an abortion provider in the United States. The gunman, Michael F. Griffin, shot Dr. Gunn three times in the back as he approached the rear entrance of the clinic, and Mr. Griffin turned himself over to the police just moments later. Mr. Griffin was convicted of the murder in March 1994 and was sentenced to life in prison.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dr. George Tiller, one of the few doctors in the United States who provided abortions late in pregnancy, was a frequent target of anti-abortion violence and was killed in 2009 by Scott Roeder as he stood in the foyer of his church.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I may have misunderstood the question tbh.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm not even gonna watch any more Star Wars movies but I'm addicted to talking about them. This is what it means to be a goon.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm not even gonna watch any more Star Wars movies but I'm addicted to talking about them. This is what it means to be a goon.

You're not really talking about Star Wars though, OP. You're not engaging earnestly and you think people are tricking you instead of being earnest themselves

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

You're not really talking about Star Wars though, OP. You're not engaging earnestly and you think people are tricking you instead of being earnest themselves

Oh Jesus Christ you're on this again. How many times do I have to tell you I don't think anybody's tricking me

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

euphronius posted:

I think it's great that they are clearly not horses at all but look close enough where our latent anti animal prejudices erase them from the plot. This is great because it's a comment on mans cruelty to animals and also something Lucas did a lot in the prequels successfully. Lot going on in Canto Bight.

Yeah, save the animals but not the child slaves; great message. If they only had some method of fast travel that would of allowed them to take the children with them.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

The guy who blew up a building when Clinton was elected?

Point of order: he did not consider himself a Christian.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, save the animals but not the child slaves; great message. If they only had some method of fast travel that would of allowed them to take the children with them.

Well ok but their destination was Snoke's flagship where the children would have likely been bitten to death as Hux chewed the scenery.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

s.i.r.e. posted:

Listen, you can't recruit child soldiers into your not-army. It sets up the idea that you have a future and Admiral Holdo is very clearly dedicated to the idea that this the Bataan Death March For Space and all we can do is wait for inevitable death. That's what hope really means.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

we've got 100 credits from rose, she says "lost my sister to the first order, please put this toward saving the animals." thanks rose

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
oh poo poo I figured it out snoke was luke projecting the whole time

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zas posted:

we've got 100 credits from rose, she says "lost my sister to the first order, please put this toward saving the animals." thanks rose

Well, I know what my donation will be to GDQ.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jonathan Fisk posted:

the subplot of a wild goose chase where the protagonists fail spectacularly and deliver cringey dialogue about the real evil, man seems inconsequential until you remember that nothing else happens in this movie either

That's not true.

Luke dies.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Hadn't Finn and Rose known each other for less than a day when she told him she loved him? Yikes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Exactly wrong. The weren't "animals" they were intelligent aliens ie people in the language of Star Wars.

Your pro human racism tho codes them as "animals" which was the whole point. I'm not criticizing you, the movie was manipulative in that way.

Also even if they were "just animals" freeing them is novel and revolutionary and better than the Jedi ever did.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 4, 2018

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Are horses slaves?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

euphronius posted:

Exactly wrong. The weren't "animals" they were intelligent aliens ie people in the language of Star Wars.

Your pro human racism tho codes them as "animals" which was the whole point. I'm not criticizing you, the movie was manipulative in that way.

Also even if they were "just animals" freeing them is novel and revolutionary and better than the Jedi ever did.

If they're meant to be people, maybe Finn and Rose shouldn't have been riding them around - or at least asked them first.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Hadn't Finn and Rose known each other for less than a day when she told him she loved him? Yikes.

Yeah

Their subplot is trash and I'm internet mad because all the poc do is gently caress up and they have to get the white people to bail them out

Progressive star war

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Even worse than that, she’s already obsessed with him based on his previous like 48 hours in the resistance to the point where she says “THE Finn? Hero of the resistance?!”

And instead of being honest about what he’s doing (“you know lightsaber yielding hero of the resistance Rey? Well she has a matching locator device and we cannot let her and Luke come back to This ship so no i’m not going AWOL”) he acts incredibly dumb and shady

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 4, 2018

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Honestly she felt like an audience surrogate for fat cosplayers.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Their subplot is trash and I'm internet mad because all the poc do is gently caress up and they have to get the white people to bail them out

I can't get worked about that kind of thing, but the white people spent the whole movie failing spectacularly as well. Basically nobody on the Resistance side, of any ethnic background, accomplished anything positive at all except a vague "inspiration" that had thus far resulted in nothing concrete whatsoever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

She's not fat though.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SimonCat posted:

Yikes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain von Trapp posted:

I can't get worked about that kind of thing, but the white people spent the whole movie failing spectacularly as well. Basically nobody on the Resistance side, of any ethnic background, accomplished anything positive at all except a vague "inspiration" that had thus far resulted in nothing concrete whatsoever.

the only people to have any measure of success were the three white men - Ren, luke and hux (barely, but he lived so that's something). everyone else in the movie is a person of color or woman who failed in some way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

She's not fat though.

Yeah, right.

• Locked thread