Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

Sadly this guy doesn't provide enough information to tell whether she's spending their money on purses and dog roller skates, or if he's just becoming a controlling shithead about money. The fact that he seems to resent her for not making as much money as he does and would rather potentially torpedo their relationship than go 'hey honey can we talk about our spending' makes me think it's the latter though.

I think if it were an issue of "the second we merged accounts she started spending all available funds on _______" he would have provided some examples, as is it just sorta sounds like he's mad she's spending "his" money on starbucks everyday which is admittedly a waste but something they'd be able to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
“After marriage,” she says, “when your violence of passion subsides, and a more cool and tranquil affection takes its place, be not hasty to censure as indifferent, or to lament yourself as unhappy; you have lost that only which it is impossible to retain; and it were graceless amidst the pleasures of a prosperous summer, to regret the blossoms of a transient spring. Neither unwarily condemn your bride’s insipidity, till you have recollected that no object, however sublime, no sound, however charming, can continue to transport us with delight, when they no longer strike us with novelty. The skill to renovate the powers of pleasing is said, indeed, to be{236} possessed by some women in an eminent degree, but the artifices of maturity are seldom seen to adorn the innocence of youth. You have made your choice and ought to approve it.

“To be happy, we must always have something in view. Turn, therefore, your attention to her mind, which will daily grow brighter by polishing. Study some easy science together, and acquire a similarity of tastes, while you enjoy a community of pleasures. You will, by this means, have many pursuits in common, and be freed from the necessity of separating to find amusement; endeavor to cement the present union on every side; let your wife never be kept ignorant of your income, your expenses, your friendships, or your aversions; let her know your very faults, but make them amiable by your virtues; consider all concealment as a breach of fidelity; let her never have anything to find out in your character, and remember that from the moment one of the partners turns spy upon the other, they have commenced a state of hostility.

“Seek not for happiness in singularity, and dread a refinement of wisdom as a deviation into folly. Listen not to those sages who advise you always to scorn the counsel of a woman, and if you comply with her requests pronounce you to be wife-ridden. Think not any privation, except of positive evil, an excellence; and do not congratulate yourself that your wife is not a learned lady, or is wholly ignorant how to make a pudding. Cooking and learning are both good in their places, and may both be used with advantage. With regard to expense, I can only observe, that the money laid out in the{237} purchase of luxuries is seldom or ever profitably employed. We live in an age when splendid furniture and glittering equipage are grown too common to catch the notice of the meanest spectator; and for the greater ones, they can only regard our wasteful folly with silent contempt or open indignation.

“This may, perhaps, be a displeasing reflection; but the following consideration ought to make amends. The age we live in pays, I think, a peculiar attention to the higher distinctions of wit, knowledge, and virtue, to which we may more safely, more cheaply, and more honorably aspire.

“The person of your lady will not grow more pleasing to you; but, pray, let her not suspect that it grows less so. There is no reproof, however pointed, no punishment, however severe, that a woman of spirit will not prefer to neglect; and if she can endure it without complaint, it only proves that she means to make herself amends by the attention of others for the slights of her husband. For this, and for every other reason, it behoves a married man not to let his politeness fail, though his ardour may abate; but to retain, at least, that general civility towards his own lady which he is willing to pay to every other, and not show a wife of eighteen or twenty years old, that every man in company can treat her with more complaisance than he who so often vowed to her eternal fondness.

“It is not my opinion that a young woman should be indulged in every wild wish of her gay heart, or giddy head; but contradiction may be softened by domestic kindness, and quiet pleasures substituted in the place of{238} noisy ones. Public amusements, indeed, are not so expensive as is sometimes imagined; but they tend to alienate the minds of married people from each other. A well-chosen society of friends and acquaintances, more eminent for virtue and good sense than for gaiety and splendor, where the conversation of the day may afford comment for the evening, seems the most rational pleasure that can be afforded. That your own superiority should always be seen, but never felt, seems an excellent general rule.

“If your wife is disposed towards jealousy of you, let me beseech you be always explicit with her, never mysterious. Be above delighting in her pain in all things.”

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

girl pants posted:

I will literally never understand why people comingle their finances, purchase property together, and have pets, but somehow getting married is just a step too far

Pick posted:

bcuz they define "commitment" based on reddit posts and jokes from "f.r.i.e.n.d.s."

it's like ultra dumb too because one of the whole points of getting married is that it reinforces that commitment by making it at least sort of a pain to stop being married so that if you have a rough patch in your 10 year relationship you don't just freak out and break up over something trivial* you'd have gotten over and forgotten about. which, all those other things with money and property do too, huge pain if you break up, but then, you skip over the part that has a chance of making you feel grateful and glad about your partner and your relationship with them? straight ahead to mortgage paperwork?? like dang

*actually trivial things, I am not saying people should suck it up in abusive or terrible situations so don't try to make it that, I'm saying that all relationships experience at least some periods of dissatisfaction/unhappiness

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

it's like ultra dumb too because one of the whole points of getting married is that it reinforces that commitment by making it at least sort of a pain to stop being married so that if you have a rough patch in your 10 year relationship you don't just freak out and break up over something trivial* you'd have gotten over and forgotten about. which, all those other things with money and property do too, huge pain if you break up, but then, you skip over the part that has a chance of making you feel grateful and glad about your partner and your relationship with them? straight ahead to mortgage paperwork?? like dang

*actually trivial things, I am not saying people should suck it up in abusive or terrible situations so don't try to make it that, I'm saying that all relationships experience at least some periods of dissatisfaction/unhappiness

imho a lot of people break up over dumb poo poo they could have figured out

and it leaves them ill-prepared when they come across a relationship that they won't break but have no conflict resolution skills 2 navigate

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Pick posted:

“After marriage,” she says, “when your violence of passion subsides, and a more cool and tranquil affection takes its place, be not hasty to censure as indifferent, or to lament yourself as unhappy; you have lost that only which it is impossible to retain; and it were graceless amidst the pleasures of a prosperous summer, to regret the blossoms of a transient spring. Neither unwarily condemn your bride’s insipidity, till you have recollected that no object, however sublime, no sound, however charming, can continue to transport us with delight, when they no longer strike us with novelty. The skill to renovate the powers of pleasing is said, indeed, to be{236} possessed by some women in an eminent degree, but the artifices of maturity are seldom seen to adorn the innocence of youth. You have made your choice and ought to approve it.

“To be happy, we must always have something in view. Turn, therefore, your attention to her mind, which will daily grow brighter by polishing. Study some easy science together, and acquire a similarity of tastes, while you enjoy a community of pleasures. You will, by this means, have many pursuits in common, and be freed from the necessity of separating to find amusement; endeavor to cement the present union on every side; let your wife never be kept ignorant of your income, your expenses, your friendships, or your aversions; let her know your very faults, but make them amiable by your virtues; consider all concealment as a breach of fidelity; let her never have anything to find out in your character, and remember that from the moment one of the partners turns spy upon the other, they have commenced a state of hostility.

“Seek not for happiness in singularity, and dread a refinement of wisdom as a deviation into folly. Listen not to those sages who advise you always to scorn the counsel of a woman, and if you comply with her requests pronounce you to be wife-ridden. Think not any privation, except of positive evil, an excellence; and do not congratulate yourself that your wife is not a learned lady, or is wholly ignorant how to make a pudding. Cooking and learning are both good in their places, and may both be used with advantage. With regard to expense, I can only observe, that the money laid out in the{237} purchase of luxuries is seldom or ever profitably employed. We live in an age when splendid furniture and glittering equipage are grown too common to catch the notice of the meanest spectator; and for the greater ones, they can only regard our wasteful folly with silent contempt or open indignation.

“This may, perhaps, be a displeasing reflection; but the following consideration ought to make amends. The age we live in pays, I think, a peculiar attention to the higher distinctions of wit, knowledge, and virtue, to which we may more safely, more cheaply, and more honorably aspire.

“The person of your lady will not grow more pleasing to you; but, pray, let her not suspect that it grows less so. There is no reproof, however pointed, no punishment, however severe, that a woman of spirit will not prefer to neglect; and if she can endure it without complaint, it only proves that she means to make herself amends by the attention of others for the slights of her husband. For this, and for every other reason, it behoves a married man not to let his politeness fail, though his ardour may abate; but to retain, at least, that general civility towards his own lady which he is willing to pay to every other, and not show a wife of eighteen or twenty years old, that every man in company can treat her with more complaisance than he who so often vowed to her eternal fondness.

“It is not my opinion that a young woman should be indulged in every wild wish of her gay heart, or giddy head; but contradiction may be softened by domestic kindness, and quiet pleasures substituted in the place of{238} noisy ones. Public amusements, indeed, are not so expensive as is sometimes imagined; but they tend to alienate the minds of married people from each other. A well-chosen society of friends and acquaintances, more eminent for virtue and good sense than for gaiety and splendor, where the conversation of the day may afford comment for the evening, seems the most rational pleasure that can be afforded. That your own superiority should always be seen, but never felt, seems an excellent general rule.

“If your wife is disposed towards jealousy of you, let me beseech you be always explicit with her, never mysterious. Be above delighting in her pain in all things.”

This is nice, what's the source?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Because if you don't get married the government doesn't get involved, but if you do, then it does

In Australia it does. If you act like you're married, then in the eyes of the law you are married.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

This is nice, what's the source?

We are all of the same species, and no distinction whatever is between us, except that which arises from fortune. For example, your footman and cook would be your equals were they as rich as you. Being poor they are obliged to serve you. Therefore, you must not add to their misfortunes by insulting or ill-treating them. If your situation is preferable to theirs, be thankful, without either despising them or being vain of your better fortune. You must, therefore, treat all your inferiors with affability and good manners, and not speak to them in a surly tone, nor with harsh expressions, as if they were of a different species. A good heart never reminds people of their inferiority, but endeavors to alleviate their misfortunes, and make them forget them.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Pick posted:

We are all of the same species, and no distinction whatever is between us, except that which arises from fortune. For example, your footman and cook would be your equals were they as rich as you. Being poor they are obliged to serve you. Therefore, you must not add to their misfortunes by insulting or ill-treating them. If your situation is preferable to theirs, be thankful, without either despising them or being vain of your better fortune. You must, therefore, treat all your inferiors with affability and good manners, and not speak to them in a surly tone, nor with harsh expressions, as if they were of a different species. A good heart never reminds people of their inferiority, but endeavors to alleviate their misfortunes, and make them forget them.

:3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
btw that book was published in 1860. today peter thiels applaud themselves for buying teenager blood to keep themselves "elf-young"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My GF was already married twice and didn't feel like going a 3rd round for the sake of nothing particular and I simply do not give a gently caress :shrug:

Even got a house and a dog. He got to have a little bacon, he's very happy.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Pick posted:

btw that book was published in 1860. today peter thiels applaud themselves for buying teenager blood to keep themselves "elf-young"

murdering the 1% is as relevant today as it was in the past

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

extremely relevant

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
“Live for some purpose in the world. Act your part well. Fill up the measure of duty to others. Conduct yourselves so that you shall be missed with sorrow when you are gone. Multitudes of our species are living in such a selfish manner that they are not likely to be remembered after their disappearance. They leave behind them scarcely any traces of their existence, but are forgotten almost as though they had never been. They are while they live, like one pebble lying unobserved amongst a million on the shore; and when they die, they are like that same pebble thrown into the sea, which just ruffles the surface, sinks, and is forgotten, without being missed from the beach. They are neither regretted by the rich, wanted by the poor, nor celebrated by the learned.{200} Who has been the better for their life? Who has been the worse for their death? Whose tears have they dried up? whose wants supplied? whose miseries have they healed? Who would unbar the gate of life, to re-admit them to existence? or what face would greet them back again to our world with a smile? Wretched, unproductive mode of existence! Selfishness is its own curse; it is a starving vice. The man who does no good, gets none. He is like the heath in the desert, neither yielding fruit, nor seeing when good cometh—a stunted, dwarfish, miserable shrub.”

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

LethalGeek posted:

My GF was already married twice and didn't feel like going a 3rd round for the sake of nothing particular and I simply do not give a gently caress :shrug:

Even got a house and a dog. He got to have a little bacon, he's very happy.

you have an open relationship though right

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

La Brea Carpet posted:

If the Elvis impersonator is wearing gold fringe is it an admiralty marriage?

No the gold fringe has to be on the unofficial marriage certificate (for framing) for it to be an admiralty marriage. The real problem is you can't get divorced normally, you have to get an admiralty divorce.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And here I thought you had to get an admiral to perform the marriage. What implications that has for Benjamin Sisko are unexplored.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

La Brea Carpet posted:

I've [22/F] been with my boyfriend [18/M] for almost 3 years and I want to have sex with him but I'm too afraid to ask.

I'm still confused on how an 18 year old girl and a 14 year old guy became close friends and later started dating at 16 and 20. Ignoring the questionable morality of the scenario, how does that even happen? Some weird Mormon church thing?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I'm still confused on how an 18 year old girl and a 14 year old guy became close friends and later started dating at 16 and 20. Ignoring the questionable morality of the scenario, how does that even happen? Some weird Mormon church thing?

Either in the US or in Pakistan.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

In my experience high school geeks tend to stick together regardless of age. I knew a few freshman girls who dated juniors because they were all in drama club together.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

That is the saddest and most pathetic thing I've ever heard

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

a freshman dating a junior isn't that weird

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
18-year-olds aren't juniors, they're seniors, maybe second-year seniors.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nah not if you're born late in the year

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Anne Whateley posted:

18-year-olds aren't juniors, they're seniors, maybe second-year seniors.
Depending on when your birthday is and when you started school, you can absolutely be an 18 year old junior.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

If you live in america, you are the 1%.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's possible to have an 18-year-old junior if someone got left back, but the point is they were 14 and 18, 4 years apart. 4 years is the difference between a HS freshman and a college freshman.

e: IMPORTANT NOTE: this post is about a bad woman

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think you should take a break from the thread, Anne

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
GF [20F] accuses [22M] me of being cheap with her because I didn't want to buy her a $50 tub of jelly beans.

quote:

Basically title.

Gf and I have been together 7 mths/living together for 2. She constantly accuses me of being cheap with her when I don't want to buy her things.

Instances in the past:

-She wanted a pack of those letter balloons on Amazon. She found one that was like $79.95. I said that's way too much for balloons.

-She wanted to dye her hair and asked me for $200 as a bday gift. I told her I already bought her an expensive gift, why do I have to buy a second one? She said because hair is appreciated by both of us so I should contribute.

-She wanted me to buy some insanely expensive lingerie for same argument as above. She showed me a bra that was like $400. I said are you crazy and she got mad.

-She wanted to get a rabbit but one she found on craigslist that was selling for like $300. I said I wasn't paying $300 for a rabbit but she can get it herself. She got mad because she said a pet is a joint buy and she'll pay for all the food and medicine.

Two days ago we were in this novelty grocery store and she saw a big jar of jelly beans that was like $50. She wanted to get it "for guests" but I was like who the ef comes to our house to eat that much jelly beans? Neither of us likes jelly beans. She said it's a good look to have something like that on the table.

We've been fighting over this and she accuses me of being too cheap with her. I buy her dinner all the time and buy small gifts like flowers and things. I just think a $50 jar of jelly beans is just a random waste of money that she'll forget about in a day or two anyways.

Am I cheap or is she just spoiled?

tldr: gf accused me of being cheap because I didn't want to buy her a $50 jar of jelly beans. Neither of us eats jelly beans. Am I cheap or is she spoiled?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

La Brea Carpet posted:

GF [20F] accuses [22M] me of being cheap with her because I didn't want to buy her a $50 tub of jelly beans.

She dumb

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

She needs to drop him and get herself an older jelly daddy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

Lets ignore for a second that this woman is he target market for dog rollerskates, why the hell did you move in together at 5 months after having had fights this stupid?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

La Brea Carpet posted:

Kanye West and Jamie Foxx have a song about this.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

blarzgh posted:

If you live in america, you are the 1%.

Actually relatively few people in America have a net worth over $770,000, and I'm pretty sure not all of us have over $32,000 in annual income.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Honey if you want a sugar daddy you have to look for older men who have money. I know it's gross because they're all disgusting and flabby and have bad hair but if you stick it out long enough there are rewards down the line, like becoming the first lady

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

blarzgh posted:

She dumb

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

Depending on when your birthday is and when you started school, you can absolutely be an 18 year old junior.

for example, most of the windowlickers on the short bus were 18 yo juniors

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

La Brea Carpet posted:

‘You’re cheap!’ is the comeback of a butthurt big spender (when they want someone else to pay for their stuff).

I’m wondering if this chick has a job, or if she’s constantly leaning on him to get her X, because she wants it.

I had a friend who called her mother a ‘cheap piece of poo poo’ because her mom refused to buy her a nearly $400 pair of heels for her wedding.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

I just used freshmen dating juniors as an example because I knew two freshmen girls dating juniors. I'm sure there were freshmen dating seniors too given how weird and gross high school drama clubs are. I also had a senior ask me out when I was a freshman, but I did not accept.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

‘You’re cheap!’ is the comeback of a butthurt big spender (when they want someone else to pay for their stuff).

I’m wondering if this chick has a job, or if she’s constantly leaning on him to get her X, because she wants it.

I had a friend who called her mother a ‘cheap piece of poo poo’ because her mom refused to buy her a nearly $400 pair of heels for her wedding.

Only $400 for a pair of shoes, what a cheap piece of poo poo to even suggest something so cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I'm starting to think that engagement rings, like Ikea, exist to test couples who get all cocky about being ready to get married.

My boyfriend [35M] and I [31F] of 2.5 years are having differing opinions on an engagement ring.

quote:

u/Goodtimes32

Since I'm an avid reddit/relationships reader my boyfriend suggested I post our situation on here for some outside opinions. We'll both be reading the replies so "his side" will be written by him.

My side: First, I'm not a big jewelry person. I am excited to get engaged and be married though, so over the past six months I've been looking at rings online. I have a few details about the ring that are important to me--- I want it to have a low-profile setting and to be a solitaire with a plain band.

Now, I've found a company that had EXACTLY what I want. The ring would be around $1600. Obviously finding a solitaire ring is pretty simple to find but in my search, finding the low profile setting is a bit harder. I've mentioned to my boyfriend that I already found my ring and he doesn't like the idea that he had no say in the ring. I told him if he can find those two things elsewhere, I would still be happy with it.

Boyfriend feels that my approach to the ring is a bit materialistic. I view it as the most important piece of jewelry I'll ever wear, why shouldn't it be something I like and want to wear? I don't feel like I'm being that picky about the ring and feel like his fears of disappointing me are unfounded. His argument that I should be happy with any ring makes me feel like he doesn't see me as the unique person he fell in love with.

His side: Girlfriend and I are planning on getting married. She already has a specific engagement ring picked out. I’m a bit hurt by this for two reasons, 1. I feel like I’m not really getting a say/included in the process and now I feel she’ll be disappointed with anything else. And more importantly, 2, I feel that more emphasis should be placed on the gesture rather than the object. I wish she were more focused on being happy we’re moving forward to something great and less concerned about a specific ring. The thought of her being disappointed after proposing is pretty disheartening, so now I’ve got a bit of anxiety about that.

So strangers of reddit, what are your thoughts? How can we find a way to both be happy?

tl;dr: My boyfriend and I have differing opinions on the importance of an engagement ring and who should have a say in it's purchase.

Maybe I'm just revealing my biases here (I am after all a woman *gasp*) but I think it's hilarious that this dude thinks he should have a say in a piece of jewellery he is never going to wear and barely has to glace at ever again.