Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Shortest Path posted:

Noir is, imo, the worst of Kajiura's soundtracks, and that says a lot about her music.

Noir only had a handful of good songs, but those were really good. The soundtrack was really drug down by the overuse of the music box piece for every goddamn flashback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Noir only had a handful of good songs, but those were really good. The soundtrack was really drug down by the overuse of the music box piece for every goddamn flashback.

I really like the OP, as well as Canta Per Me and Salva Nos. The FICTION versions of both of those are better though, imo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good animes with great villains? Like Johan Liebert from Monster, Griffith from Berserk.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ulio posted:

Any good animes with great villains? Like Johan Liebert from Monster, Griffith from Berserk.

JoJo has some great villains. Code Geass kinda does too but your mileage may vary.

Hipsteresque
Nov 10, 2011
Are there any good comedic or lighthearted shows like Konosuba or The Devil is a Part-Timer that came out in the past few years I should watch?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hipsteresque posted:

Are there any good comedic or lighthearted shows like Konosuba or The Devil is a Part-Timer that came out in the past few years I should watch?

Have you seen Nichijou or Kobayashi's Dragon Maid?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hipsteresque posted:

Did you watch Osomatsu-san yet?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ulio posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Hipsteresque posted:

Mahojin Guru Guru

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ulio posted:

Ushio and Tora has a fantastic take on supernatural ancient evil.

HxH has world-class villains in general.

Revolutionary Girl Utena has an abundance of smug pretty boys who range from "kind of a jerk" to "basically evil incarnate."

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hipsteresque posted:

have you watched Tanaka-kun is Always Listless yet?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ulio posted:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Hipsteresque posted:

Mahoujin Guru Guru. If you like Slice-of-Life with a light fantasy element, you might enjoy Demi-Chan Wa Katanari - it is very lighthearted & cute while still having real characters & something to say.

I've been having fun with Anime-Gataris, too, but it occasionally feels too much like an industry promotional video for me to wholeheartedly recommend. When those jokes land, though, boy do they land.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 12, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Hipsteresque posted:

In addition to the other suggestions, Monthly Girls/Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is great. Ought to be on Crunchyroll and (I think?) HIDIVE if you’re subscribed to either.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There are a ton of good comedy shorts that have aired since those shows: Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou, Senyuu, Hackadoll, My Neighbor Seki, Miss Monochrome, Wooser's Hand to Mouth Life, Tesagure Bukatsumono, Ai Mai Mii, Shonen Ashibe Go Go Goma-chan, Bonobono, Gakuen Handsome, Miss Bernard Says, Love Rice, and Sekko Boys.

For full-length comedy: Gabriel Dropout, The Disastrous Life of Saiki K, Handa-kun, Sabagebu, Space Dandy, Barakamon, Hoozuki's Coolheadedness are some that haven't been mentioned.

e: i think most or all of these should still be on Crunchyroll, even

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still

I second this.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Just a reminder that if you're in one of the regions it searches, http://because.moe tells you where you can stream anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ulio posted:

I just want to comment that Johan Liebert is one of the few true villains I've ever found outright-terrifying. You know you've got a good villain when just seeing them sitting calmly in a room talking with anyone has you panicking over just what the gently caress they're about to do at any given moment :ohdear:.

Episodes 25-30 are legit some of the most anxiety-inducing television drama I've ever seen, because you know Richard is going to get bumped off, you just spend the entire time waiting for the other shoe to drop. And dear god does it drop :suspense:.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Can anyone recommend me some comedy series on Crunchyroll?

They just added this and if you're still checking this thread I'm adding it to my suggestions

https://twitter.com/Mach_Dent/status/941076425087574017

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 14, 2017

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Fantastic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ulio posted:

Some of One Piece's villains are outstanding as recurring bastards. Akainu is probably the most monstrous.

Dude wears a hawaiian shirt and has a pink rose on his white suit, but he's pretty much the most callous and cruel guy in the Marines

Crocodile's a rad bad dude too

There's like 100+ other villains throughout since One Piece is so massive, and most of them are fantastic in their own right even if they don't show up again(though the East Blue baddies aren't much for the most part, things really kick off when the first main arc happens once they head to the Grand Line). They often get a cover story(one of One Piece's greatest aspects imo) that goes into what happens with them after the story has moved on past them. Read the manga, don't watch the anime though, the anime is interminable.

Oh, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, as well. The various Sins are really, really good, particularly Lust, Greed and Envy. And Kimblee is a total monster and I love him for it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone help me with which of the FATE animes I should watch and in which order?

As far as I can tell, there's

1. Fate/Stay Night (2006)
2. Fate/Zero (2011)
3. Fate/Stay Night (2014)
4. Fate Apocrypha (2017)

I just want the cool anime battles known for its animation, so do I start with #2 or #3?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ufarn posted:

Can someone help me with which of the FATE animes I should watch and in which order?

2. Fate/Zero (2011)
4. Fate Apocrypha (2017)

I just want the cool anime battles known for its animation, so do I start with #2 or #3?

apocrypha and ubw are probably your best bet for cool fights. i thought fate/zero was pretty visually dull overall but i only saw the first season, i'm not a big fan of ufotables' more cg and filter-heavy stuff and i feel like zero leaned pretty heavy on it. apocrypha is the best animated out of all four of these and at its best has some of the best action in any recent show, and 2006 f/sn is one of the cheapest deen things ever so you're probably not gonna get what you want out of that

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

ufarn posted:

2. Fate/Zero (2011)
4. Fate Apocrypha (2017)

IMO, start with Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works(2014). I haven't seen '06. Fate/Apocrypha is boring and I don't find the fights particularly well directed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: actually for your purposes TheColonel is probably right, I had an answer here but when I finished typing it out I realized it was way more focused on plot / spoiler order than on animation quality and thus not really what you were asking for

just absolutely do not watch the 2006 show, it's a garbage fire

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 3, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What was that infamous line from an Stay Night fansub? Something about love?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rinkles posted:

What was that infamous line from an Stay Night fansub? Something about love?

"People die when they are killed?"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"People die when they are killed?"

Right. (I think the love quote I was thinking of involved coprophilia, probably from something even more dreadful)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 3, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Alright, I'll try them out chronologically and ditch the first to get some plot to get me through it. I can always skip ahead to the next show.

e: oh god there's ovas too

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ufarn posted:

2. Fate/Zero (2011)
4. Fate Apocrypha (2017)

There is no perfect answer here but either Fate/Zero or the 2014 show (Usually referred to as the Unlimited Blade Works anime).

2006 is an insanely bad adaptation, I'd rather a person watch/read none of the franchise at all rather than watch it. Apocrypha is very dull and generally considered one of the weakest Fate stories and should probably be skipped.

Best route is still the play the visual novel if you are able to manage it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

2006 is a confusing mess that isn't really a good adaption of the stay night route, while also having elements of the other two routes in to really mix things up.

As long as ubw explains the basic premise and the stuff you learn in stay night there's no reason to watch 2006

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Start with Fate/Zero imo, it's probably the best VN adaptation anime ever made. Also, since it's a technically a prequel, you won't have a lot of the end parts spoiled(ish) by F/SN.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
f/z spoils more about f/sn than f/sn spoils about f/z

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah Fate/Zero basically spoils the big twists of F/SN's 1st and 3rd route. Also of note is that Fate/Zero's plotlines don't actually have any completed animated follow-up yet other than the 2006 adaptation which is a messy version of the 1st route. UBW focus's more on Shirou/Archer stuff and kills off the fate/zero plot threads, so it's somewhat disconnected (though still important in setting up plot elements in Heaven's Feel). Heaven's Feel's first movie did finally come out, so the proper conclusion to both Fate and Zero is eventually coming out.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I am gonna change my recommendation to "just watch Fate Zero" - it's a self contained story and by far my favorite of the 3 Fates I've watched. ISKANDAR rules.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fate/Zero is a story that I liked a lot when I first saw it the but the more time removed from it the more I dislike it. The characters outside of the Gil/Kotomine, and the Iskandar/Waver duos are kind of bad or if you're being kind just sort of not that interesting. Kiritsugu in particular is an insufferable edgelord whom large swaths of the fandom seemed to miss the point with his character arc and what it's actually meant to get across. I also just kind of have come to appreciate the more lighthearted/comedic parts of the Fate franchise so Fate/Zero with its super dour take is just kind of a killjoy that I have no interest in ever revisiting.

I think it's a neat little story that added some nice backstory, but also ultimately one that doesn't really stand on its own as an actually good work. I like it as a prequel to FSN and outside of that relationship I could honestly leave it at this point.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 4, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Start with Fate/Zero imo, it's probably the best VN adaptation anime ever made. Also, since it's a technically a prequel, you won't have a lot of the end parts spoiled(ish) by F/SN.

fate/zero isn't even based on a vn

also TBH If you want to experience Fate I'd say just read the original VN. I don't think any of the adaptations really capture everything that makes it worthwhile. I understand reading an 80 hour VN is a hard sell, but I just don't think any of the adaptations are worthwhile on their own. Ufotable's UBW isn't terrible or anything, but it's missing a lot of what I love about the VN, and ufotable's heaven's feel movies seem pretty good but wouldn't work without Fate and UBW preceding them, and also won't be finished until like 2020. Like, if you don't want to read the VN, I'd say just don't bother.

If you REALLY just want anime battles, then Zero, UBW, and Apocrypha are all fine, but you'd probably be better off skipping any talky bits that go on too long. Or honestly, if you want ufotable fighting, watch the Kara no Kyoukai movies, they're a bunch fo movies so they're easier to swallow and they all end with big fights, and they're actually good stories.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 4, 2018

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Endorph posted:

Or honestly, if you want ufotable fighting, watch the Kara no Kyoukai movies, they're a bunch fo movies so they're easier to swallow and they all end with big fights, and they're actually good stories.

I'm not sure I'd call Paradox Spiral easy to swallow...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

also TBH If you want to experience Fate I'd say just read the original VN.

The guy said he wanted cool anime fights, not wordy slideshows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

The guy said he wanted cool anime fights, not wordy slideshows.
in that case he REALLY shouldn't watch fate/zero