Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

My GF was already married twice and didn't feel like going a 3rd round for the sake of nothing particular and I simply do not give a gently caress :shrug:

Even got a house and a dog. He got to have a little bacon, he's very happy.

Thanks for taking the fall for the rest of us with these damaged goods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Pick posted:

We are all of the same species, and no distinction whatever is between us, except that which arises from fortune. For example, your footman and cook would be your equals were they as rich as you. Being poor they are obliged to serve you. Therefore, you must not add to their misfortunes by insulting or ill-treating them. If your situation is preferable to theirs, be thankful, without either despising them or being vain of your better fortune. You must, therefore, treat all your inferiors with affability and good manners, and not speak to them in a surly tone, nor with harsh expressions, as if they were of a different species. A good heart never reminds people of their inferiority, but endeavors to alleviate their misfortunes, and make them forget them.

This is a really good read.

Yawgmoth posted:

Depending on when your birthday is and when you started school, you can absolutely be an 18 year old junior.

Yeah, when I was in high school, we had seniors ranging from 16-18 and juniors ranging from 15-17. Personally I was close to nineteen when I graduated because I was homeschooled until the fifth grade and my mom made me repeat first grade because she didn't know how to teach I wasn't picking up math quickly. It didn't seem weird for a senior to be dating a freshman but the second that senior graduated, they became "that college guy still dating a high school sophomore."

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 4, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

girl pants posted:

I'm starting to think that engagement rings, like Ikea, exist to test couples who get all cocky about being ready to get married.

My boyfriend [35M] and I [31F] of 2.5 years are having differing opinions on an engagement ring.

Maybe I'm just revealing my biases here (I am after all a woman *gasp*) but I think it's hilarious that this dude thinks he should have a say in a piece of jewellery he is never going to wear and barely has to glace at ever again.

Dude should be doing backflips his GF is that frugal/sensible on what ring she wants. We’ve seen plenty in this thread of women going nuts/overly materialistic (you need to buy me a bigger rock later/I’ll check to make sure it’s a real diamond/demanding a $25K ring just to name a few winners). Just pay the $1600 and get over it duder.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Sounds like he's finding the ring requirements too expensive with that bit about "focusing on the gesture". Assuming he can afford it fine though, I'd say it's too late to have a say and now he should just suck it up and get what she wants to have, although personally I at least agree with the sentiment it's lame af to get people gifts that they have specified in advance and are expecting. At that point it just becomes less of a gift and more of a bureaucratic formality.

Even if it robs the ring-giving of most of its emotional impact and symbolism as a gesture, I guess that's better than him buying a ring she hates but feels obligated to wear.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

$1600 is a steal for an engagement ring.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

girl pants posted:

I'm starting to think that engagement rings, like Ikea, exist to test couples who get all cocky about being ready to get married.

My boyfriend [35M] and I [31F] of 2.5 years are having differing opinions on an engagement ring.

Maybe I'm just revealing my biases here (I am after all a woman *gasp*) but I think it's hilarious that this dude thinks he should have a say in a piece of jewellery he is never going to wear and barely has to glace at ever again.

I can understand wanting to be the one that picks out the ring so that it's something you give the person but lol at the guy thinking that's more important than her liking the ring. I can't imagine how many women receive rings they hate but have to pretend to love them. I'm not even talking about small rings but the ridiculous looking ones that aren't expensive but are trying to look expensive.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wait what's this about Ikea destroying relationships?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vargatron posted:

I love how the engagement ring industry has convinced us this is a reasonable sentence.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Like there husbands, most women can learn to love or at least make peace with their lovely wedding rings.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If you find a girl that doesn't break the bank on a ring and actually helps pick it out for you, you've got a winner.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I love how the engagement ring industry has convinced us this is a reasonable sentence.

If the ring is just 2/3rds an ounce of platinum theyre getting a fair market value.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

blarzgh posted:

If you live in america, you are the 1%.

Incorrect. Assuming 7 billion people in the world, that allows for 70 million to be in the top 1%. There are over 300 million people in the United States of America, thus mathematically less than 1/3 of Americans could be in the 1%.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Barudak posted:

If the ring is just 2/3rds an ounce of platinum theyre getting a fair market value.

Just buy engagement bullion

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Xun posted:

If you're doing the first big move in and trying to pick furniture together it's very likely going to expose how different your tastes/expectations are to begin with.

Add in the Ikea death march where you have to go through their little maze and see nearly everything you could disagree on it's not for the inexperienced.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Barudak posted:

Like there husbands, most women can learn to love or at least make peace with their lovely wedding rings.

Wedding rings seem a lot simpler for husbands, though. I put mine in a safe place I'll remember and bought one of those Qualo rings. Stylish, comfortable, and 50% less chance of degloving.

I [24M] am condecending to women I feel safe with

quote:

Not just women I have relationships with. I make them feel dumb and I like it when they play dumb. Previous girlfriends haven't really complained about it that much, but it really bothers me when I think about it. I also did this to a female friend I had a couple years ago, and she was very annoyed by it.

I conciously respect women I interact with, mutual respect is very important to me with pretty much anyone. Also I am not just arrogant or condecending when I feel insecure, it really just starts when I am NOT insecure. I don't want to be like that, help please :(

tldr: I am condecending towards women and I want to change that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The other part of ikea is building the furniture which booooy howdy does building things together cause some people to melt the gently caress down.

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

Wedding rings seem a lot simpler for husbands, though. I put mine in a safe place I'll remember and bought one of those Qualo rings. Stylish, comfortable, and 50% less chance of degloving.

I was talking about their husband the person.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Print and give out little cards to all the women you interact with that say "Tell me to shut up if I'm being condescending."

Problem solved.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Xun posted:

I thought it was more the assembly than the shopping.

It’s probably best to follow all the instructions on your own and only ask for help on the steps that absolutely require two people. I can see couples who have a dynamic of “helpfully” second-guessing and interfering with each other constantly having a real bad time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

I thought it was more the assembly than the shopping.

It’s probably best to follow all the instructions on your own and only ask for help on the steps that absolutely require two people. I can see couples who have a dynamic of “helpfully” second-guessing and interfering with each other constantly having a real bad time.

Or one partner who wants support while building finding out the other one wants to wander off and not help at all. Or what happens if you do a step wrong or break something.

Ikea furniture are the rocks upon which relationships crash and are broken.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

You guys haven’t lived until you’ve gotten into a tense, half-whispered argument with your SO about ‘yes, you need mixing bowls; just buy a couple while we’re here!’ In the hell that is IKEA.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well maybe I've just taken it wrong but it's always seemed to be more about the woman nesting down while the guy was like 'why the hell have we been here 2 hours looking at the same cheap furniture yet we're no closer to the door?' than any problems cursing at pictures of little men screwing together parts you haven't found yet from the box.

Though maybe that's because my wife just asks me a couple of times if I need her to hold anything then just leaves the room when I start yelling at it.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
loving lol if you don't hand carve all your furniture yourself from your stock of 15 year oak tbh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

loving lol if you don't hand carve all your furniture yourself from your stock of 15 year oak tbh

I dont use wood older than the relationship, thats a fools move.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Only $400 for a pair of shoes, what a cheap piece of poo poo to even suggest something so cheap.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Ikea has nothing on some of the kids playsets I've put together.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Getting flashbacks for that tragic retard who got those priceless heirloom chairs refurb'd on the cheap. Pouring out a cold one for getting owned by furniture.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Xun posted:

Ikea is where you go to buy simple cheap-ish furniture for your first apartment. If you're doing this with your SO who you JUST moved in with, you are very likely 1. young and 2. kinda broke, so you're nervous about money and have zero conflict resolution skills. So you'll already be stressed when you leave because Ikea is a loving maze and oh my god you just spent $500 on a couch, which is a huge amount of money when you're 22.

Then you have to go home and put it together.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

Yeah, men don’t know thecsteal they’re getting on a modern women. We work and get nothing. A $1600 engagement ring? Wow that’s like $50 a year if your relationship doesn’t go to poo poo. How much do you pay Comcast?

Lmao it’s less than 1 video game a year. Hahahahaha. gently caress

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Demon Of The Fall posted:

If you find a girl that doesn't break the bank on a ring and actually helps pick it out for you, you've got a winner.

Seriously, I wish my wife had helped pick out her ring, I had no idea what I was doing. Also, a $1600 engagement ring is fine and indicates she's not at all crazy, as opposed to the ladies who want rings that are $10,000 +.

Dude has picked himself a winner and is all butthurt over the ring being a "surprise." If the engagement is not a surprise, why should the ring be? If both parties have mutually agreed to an engagement/wedding before the formal proposal, why not pick out the rings together?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

You guys haven’t lived until you’ve gotten into a tense, half-whispered argument with your SO about ‘yes, you need mixing bowls; just buy a couple while we’re here!’ In the hell that is IKEA.

Also this, and then the other person pitches a fit and goes WE DON'T NEED loving BOWLS WHY ARE YOU ADDING ALL THIS OTHER STUFF TO WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SIMPLE TRIP TO BUY A *checks phone* ... EKTORP, JUST GET THE GODDAMN THING AND LET'S GO, then two days later you find yourself sullenly serving dinner out of Tupperware containers to a person who is giving you a death glare that says "don't say a loving word about the goddamn bowls or I will flip this loving table over". Then the table collapses because you couldn't agree on how to put it together. Ikea is the worst.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

My (29f) boyfriend (28m) of 8 months emailed someone off Craigslist for revenge sex against me for something I didn't even do.

quote:

I will try not to make this insanely long, but I have a lot to say. It's going to be so so long. :(

Background info: About 5 months into our relationship, I asked my boyfriend if it would bother him if I did some webcam modeling to make extra Christmas money. He said he was totally fine with it. I did it for about two months but I could tell it was bothering him so I stopped.

More background: Throughout our relationship we've talked about having threesomes. I've experimented in the past & enjoyed it very much. I told him I'd be open to it with the right person.

A couple of weeks ago, my boyfriend tells me we need to talk. He tells me that he's been using the plenty of fish app to look for a woman for a threesome.

I was very surprised, but not upset because I felt a great deal of trust between us.

I ask to see his pof account. His bio section says he's in love with a great girl. He also has a few pictures of me on there.

I start browsing the account & I find multiple pages full of messages to girls going back several months. I looked through about 10 of them & none of them mentioned me at all.

One of them said "you look like a lot of fun, I can be fun too." I was stunned & hurt by this, because he clearly said HE not WE.

I asked if he'd talked seriously with anyone. He showed me a text thread with a girl who he'd given his number to the day before. Apparently, she just got out of a long relationship with a woman & misses female affections. She supposedly was interested in both of us.

I told him I wasn't mad, but that I found it to be a little shady that this went on for so long behind my back. I also pointed out that none of the messages I clicked on mentioned me at all.

He became defensive & said "Oh god!! Well, I didn't have to tell you."

This comment really irritated me. If his intention was to find a girl for a threesome, then he absolutely did have to tell me!! What did he mean by that?

I heavily contemplated this situation over the next few days & I admit that I became rather paranoid about the whole thing. Maybe I was overthinking it.

My immediate reaction was that he was just horny for the threesome we had talked about. My not so immediate reaction was that he was trying to get back at me for camming.

He proceeded to text the one chick for a couple days & he sent her a naughty video of us, at which point she never text him back. I assumed she was fake, some creeper, fishing for nudes.

A few days pass & I notice he is acting suspicious with his phone. It seemed like he was always on it, but positioned so I couldn't see the screen. He'd turn away or stand up & pace around a bit. He started carrying the phone everywhere he went. Also, he started sleeping with it underneath his body. Wtf? He's never done that!

So, I did something you should never do. I snooped in his phone. I justified this paranoia fueled act by telling myself that it was my pof account too, I mean, my pictures were on there!!

I noticed that he'd uninstalled the app. Weird, right? I didn't have the password to log in through his web browser. I knew pof gave him notifications in his email because he claimed that he stumbled across a notification & decided to update his old account as an account for me & him.

So, I go to his gmail & I am hoping the notification emails include a link to his account.

First on the list, I see a sent message to a Craigslist email address with the subject "revenge?" My heart dropped. I knew exactly what this email was going to say. Or so I thought!!

"What's up, so idk what I'm doing replying to this but I am kinda in a similar situation that ends with me getting hurt. I am 28 yr old, healthy n happy guy that could probably relate. my girl is a cam model and she constantly puts me off and really treats me like poo poo even though I've supported her thru everything and anything I feel totally used and now she thinks she is so entitled that I shouldn't have a problem when she wants to sleep around on me with people for money so I left this week... Idk but I think u and me could totally help each other. As a guy I think seeing a video of another guy pumping his cum into my girl would be the worst thing possible! So hmu if u seriously wanna hook up."

My boyfriend wrote this? This must be a bad dream!

First, he did not leave this week. He is here right now, in my house, in my bed, right next to me, as I type this.

Second, I'm not a cam model anymore. I stopped doing it as soon as I saw that it was hurting him. He insisted I should keep doing it because it was good money, but I couldn't hurt him like that!! No way!! Not worth it!!!

Third, I do not constantly put him off or treat him like poo poo. I am a very affectionate person! I give him compliments of all sorts, positive affirmations & kind words on a daily basis, even when he's mad at me.

Forth, I have never traded sex for money. How ludicrous!!

To me, the email is clear!! He realized halfway through that the only way to justify what he was planning on doing with this person was to maliciously lie about me.

Unfortunately, the post is now deleted so I don't ever get to see what he was replying to. Maybe that's a good thing.

I don't know, but by the way it's worded, I believe he is offering to help a woman get revenge on her spouse by taking a video of him pumping his cum into her so that she can show her spouse & make him want to die??? Or something????

Like I said, I don't know what the gently caress he's trying to do but I cannot even really fathom it. I'm shocked to my core. What a horrible way to begin the new year.

Is it worth discussing or should I just pack his poo poo & say goodbye? I am deeply anguished at the idea of leaving this relationship. We have plenty of other issues but I never believed it was anything we couldn't work through.

Do I bring it up or let him confess? He's going to see that I forwarded the email to myself sooner or later.

How am I going to handle this? We're very close, he's my best friend. We live together. I love him so very much.

Thank you for reading this.

tl;dr: boyfriend was using pof to find a girl for a threesome for us. I was trying to look for notifications for his/our pof & accidentally found email to Craigslist person where he lies about us breaking up, about me treating him badly, about me prostituting, & asks for a revenge hookup

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
IKEA is for garbage teens and suburban moms who get ideas from Pinterest

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
My engagement ring cost $1600 and I picked it out myself because, unlike the whiny baby boy above, I understand that if you're going to drop thousands of dollars on a gift, it needs to be to the recipient's taste or else every time they look at it they're going to see thousands of dollars worth of reminder that you don't care what they like or want.

I also picked it out myself because I'm violently allergic to most metals.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My (29f) boyfriend (28m) of 8 months emailed someone off Craigslist for revenge sex against me for something I didn't even do.

Look at this rich girl who inherited a pile of old words she can just spend like rain never needing to know how to be succinct like commoners.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

"I worked as a cam 'model'"
"I never traded sex for money!"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Dienes posted:

"I worked as a cam 'model'"
"I never traded sex for money!"
Modelling isn't sex?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Modelling isn't sex?

I mean it definitely counts as sex work but out of all the things in that post I don't think it's the part that should jump out at you

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

My favorite part is how he's like "uhhh yeah the worst thing I can think of would be no condom and cumming inside of you...we should do that....for revenge....maybe anal would make it even worse...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

girl pants posted:

Ikea is where you go to buy simple cheap-ish furniture for your first apartment. If you're doing this with your SO who you JUST moved in with, you are very likely 1. young and 2. kinda broke, so you're nervous about money and have zero conflict resolution skills. So you'll already be stressed when you leave because Ikea is a loving maze and oh my god you just spent $500 on a couch, which is a huge amount of money when you're 22.

Then you have to go home and put it together.

A trip to IKEA should be included in all pre-marital counseling. Open up the place on a Sunday afternoon and have priests and clergymen stationed throughout as judges.

Give each couple a book at the beginning and make the complete challenges a la Raiders of the Lost Ark.