Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
There is just something about the Fletcher. Other DD's exist that top it in pretty much any one category, but the whole package is just so :911:
Great, stealthy torps with just enough speed and range to be good at that tier (and they hit like a loving TRUCK), that 5.8km concealment is enough to spot most destroyers without being spotted, agility and speed are all solid, great smoke when you can make it work late game, etc.

Its amazing the impact you can have on a tier X game in a ship like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Preechr posted:

I doubt it was optimal play, but I would always take the air supremacy loadout on the bogue and independence. I figured the best way I could help my team was to nullify the enemy carrier ASAP so the rest of the team could play as if it didn’t exist. RIP that, though.

There's an air supremacy loadout on the Independence?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Not anymore, there isn't. But it used to be 2 fighters, 1 dive bomber.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Being a standard account babby, I decided to pick the bb damage and the dreadnought missions thinking yeah I can grind out the mission stars no problem but then I got my first high caliber in months :negative:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Timmy Horsey posted:

Being a standard account babby, I decided to pick the bb damage and the dreadnought missions thinking yeah I can grind out the mission stars no problem but then I got my first high caliber in months :negative:

Ditto. I got Dreadnought in the same match though, so I didn't really lose much time.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
"Eh well, these 2 star missions suck, it'll take me forever to get them. Let's see what the queue is looking like...."

"Well poo poo, let's at least do the last mission to get those supercontainers. Cesare is super fun, so let's do that...."

"Well, that helps a lot. I have a game left in me; let's get those crates and see what happens in my KGV...."

"Yes, clearly things are looking up for me. Let's crack those supercontainers to celebrate...."

Five DC mod 1s and 2 spotter plane mod 1s (one is on my Perth). I have one speed boost I got from a mission, and 2 defensive AA. Never had a radar mod or speed boost mod from a random drop, ever.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Started working on the Russian DD line and figured I'd try to get the daily win on the Grem with all the stacked XP/Free XP/Captain skill flags since my captain is low level.

That'll do pig, that'll do.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Blindeye posted:

Five DC mod 1s and 2 spotter plane mod 1s (one is on my Perth). I have one speed boost I got from a mission, and 2 defensive AA. Never had a radar mod or speed boost mod from a random drop, ever.

I've got a spare spotter plane mod and a Perth, is that the best usage or are there some other premiums it would suit better?

Cheers
Andrew

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Sperglord Actual posted:

Is it just me or is Radio Location is used by sealclubbing fuckfaces at tiers 4-5 way more than by anyone at higher tiers?

:shrug:

That skill is super useful in a lot of high tier DDs, at least.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I had an all battleship game in my Missouri and had a great time. Half of each team contested the caps, and half of each team hosed off to the extreme edges to do nothing important ( and also die ).

The Missouri is probably the most fun I've had in this game in a while, along with the Scharn and the Julio. The Missouri behaves like I wish the FDG would.

Poor FDG. If your gun arcs were a little better or your dispersion were a little tighter, you might have something going on.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Tried to get High Caliber and/or Dreadnought in the Octopus Restitution, got a Kraken instead. :argh:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

xanif posted:

DD starts to get really interesting around the t6-t7 mark when you start regularly facing opponents with radar.

Then you get to t8 and german hydro starts to cover the whole map because reasons.

I'm dying. A lot.

Play more passively, then. RADAR while concealed is not a common trait (I think its the Chapayev and Donskoi, right?), and German Hydro is very obviously a misplay if you get into a situation where its killing you. Once you can identify where ships are, your options increase. Worst case scenario is you default to screening for the fleet... YOLOing into caps against RADAR is a great way to die early and give up not just a team member, but cap pressure and negatively affecting your team's morale. Try not to be the first one to die. DDs get more and more valuable the longer a match goes on, so long as enemy CAs are dying.

Polyakov posted:

You want preventative maintaince for tougher modules for DDs so you get your poo poo knocked out less. If someone sees you then you assume youll get shot to bits anyway. Priority target isn't great on Destroyers generally because you want to be unseen every time you are seen anyway.

I'd get radio Location as your fifth skill instead of Adrenaline Rush, but that is personal preference. Otherwise that is all good.

Preventative isn't automatically a good choice. Any DD that is capable of harassing at range with their guns will want Priority Target so they know when to gently caress off and hide when they are shooting up somebody. The only line I'd recommend Preventative over Priority is the US line, even the Japanese will be using their guns to harass.
Survivability Expert is usually the most valuable 3 point skill to take. Torpedo Armament Expert is also good, and superior for more torpedo heavy players or IJN ships, but SE is straight superior to Demo Expert or Superintendent.

Ideal non-IJN captain:
Priority Target > Last Stand > Survivability Expert > CE > Adrenaline Rush > ??? (Demo Expert, BFT, Superintendent, RPF, Preventative). There's a lot of wiggle room after 12 points. RPF is fine to take before Adrenaline Rush... sometimes a random match moves too fast for RPF to be useful (pubbies throwing), so unless you intend to play Ranked in that ship, RPF can wait until after Adrenaline Rush. Disclaimer: The Kiev line is not a DD line, do not build it like a DD line.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Please do not take Torpedo Armament Expertise.

???
I would certainly take TAE over SI on almost all ships. Smoke is no longer anywhere close to as useful as it was before, making it a lesser choice for the US, so only really the Germans want SI a lot. And the Germans have good torps, so...

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I've heard the Grovozoi is the all around DD the Gearing wishes it was. Anyone drive it? I know its basically a small cruiser in terms of size and turning circle, but it looks like it combines Khabs great guns with solid detection and Gearing-ish torps. The rest of the line looks interesting as well, although its hard to tell if any of them are real duds.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

cheese posted:

I've heard the Grovozoi is the all around DD the Gearing wishes it was. Anyone drive it? I know its basically a small cruiser in terms of size and turning circle, but it looks like it combines Khabs great guns with solid detection and Gearing-ish torps. The rest of the line looks interesting as well, although its hard to tell if any of them are real duds.

I built mine more gunboaty than my gearing as it has great guns.
A few of its limitations are the slow reload 10km (that is rather short at T10) torpedoes and the fact that it is a big target that doesn't turn very well. If the reds have any sense they will focus your rear end and you will eat ton of damage including a lot of the notorious AP penetration.
Overall its a fun boat.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Scapegoat posted:

I've got a spare spotter plane mod and a Perth, is that the best usage or are there some other premiums it would suit better?

Cheers
Andrew

Unlikely. The only two spotter plane builds I have seen are the Perth's and a new Hindenberg build Flamu has been experimenting with.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Might be useful for high tier IJN cruisers as well but yea, there are few ships where it's useful. Battleships have too short planes for it to be worthwhile.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Poor Atlanta. It gets all the attentions.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Hazdoc posted:

Play more passively, then. RADAR while concealed is not a common trait (I think its the Chapayev and Donskoi, right?), and German Hydro is very obviously a misplay if you get into a situation where its killing you. Once you can identify where ships are, your options increase. Worst case scenario is you default to screening for the fleet... YOLOing into caps against RADAR is a great way to die early and give up not just a team member, but cap pressure and negatively affecting your team's morale. Try not to be the first one to die. DDs get more and more valuable the longer a match goes on, so long as enemy CAs are dying.

Yea I've been playing more passively as of late. I've been doing better in ranked than in randoms with DD because I can keep track of the ships easier so as long as you see where the radar cruisers (and/or Hsienyang) are you can get away with doing risky things but in normals it's just hard to keep track of where everyone is.

Question to the thread:

Are any ships still capable of stealth firing?
I heard that using stock fire control on USN DD's is a good idea to keep detection lower and get more favorable shell arcs: c/d?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

xanif posted:

No, all stealth firing was removed, with the exception of the edge case of shooting over islands while no enemy has line of sight. The way it works now is, as soon as you fire a gun, you become visible to any opposition ship within your max gun range that has an unobstructed line of sight to you, and you remain visible until 20s after firing your last shot.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

You can technically still kind of stealth fire if you're kiting an enemy at the very edge of your gun range.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

The Emerald is just garbage, right? A hull made entirely of citadel and magnets, the armour of a destroyer, long flight times on your shells, AP shells that cant P any A, and a random selection of pre-nerfed gimmicks for it's special abilities.

Do things get better with the Leander or am I just grinding myself up to the next tier of misery?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The Emerald is just garbage, right? A hull made entirely of citadel and magnets, the armour of a destroyer, long flight times on your shells, AP shells that cant P any A, and a random selection of pre-nerfed gimmicks for it's special abilities.

Do things get better with the Leander or am I just grinding myself up to the next tier of misery?

The Leander is pretty good but requires an understanding of the play style to use properly. It rewards good positioning. It also is the stepping stone to the Fiji which is phenomenal.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

xanif posted:

Question to the thread:

I heard that using stock fire control on USN DD's is a good idea to keep detection lower and get more favorable shell arcs: c/d?

No ship can stealth gun fire. Most DDs in the late tiers can stealth fire torps. Some cruisers can as well.
As for the second question, let me ask you a question and see if it answers your question. If any enemy ship sees you firing and thus all enemy ships now see you, what change does a reduced range give you while firing at a target that wasn't present before? Your surface and air detectability while not shooting never changed with the stealth firing nerf. Your shell arcs will not change. They'll just arc just as much at long range. As a usn dd, you should be closing to surface detectability range before you open fire as your arcs are more flat that way. And at those ranges, usn dds get very strong. However, there are certain ships that can counter you as well in such a fight in the later tiers.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

JuffoWup posted:

No ship can stealth gun fire. Most DDs in the late tiers can stealth fire torps. Some cruisers can as well.
As for the second question, let me ask you a question and see if it answers your question. If any enemy ship sees you firing and thus all enemy ships now see you, what change does a reduced range give you while firing at a target that wasn't present before? Your surface and air detectability while not shooting never changed with the stealth firing nerf. Your shell arcs will not change. They'll just arc just as much at long range. As a usn dd, you should be closing to surface detectability range before you open fire as your arcs are more flat that way. And at those ranges, usn dds get very strong. However, there are certain ships that can counter you as well in such a fight in the later tiers.

Basically my thought was that since you're closing into your detection range anyways all AFT upgraded fire control does is increase your detection radius so that there is a higher probability that a cruiser/bb on the enemy team will be able to continue spotting you once you kill the DD you were knife fighting. I only just last night realized that the guides I have been reading and basing my builds on are out of date and assume stealth firing is a thing so I'm trying to adjust my builds accordingly and if all the gun control upgrade effectively does is increase your bloom radius I'm not sure it's worth it.

Edit: I had a brain fart and went off topic.

xanif fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 4, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Finally get a top tier game in my Nelson.

It's a double CV game.

Focused by two CVs, hit by eight squadrons of bombers. Twice. Nothing I could do. :rolleyes:

gently caress CVs and their dumb mechanics.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

5 games into the Gearing and....its a mixed bag. I really like the 13km, 71 knot torps and if you enjoy big devastating strikes on Tier X BB's, its your ship. The guns are still feel like you are lobbing the shells straight up but you can definitely put on that extra hurt when the stars align. The extra 80m turning circle really is painful but looking at the other tier 9/10 DDs, I can see Fletchers 560m was uniquely good. I'm working down the Z-52 and Grozovoi lines but I'm not really sure how much more or less I'll end up enjoying them. I'm definitely a torpedoes and positioning first guy over guns, so maybe the Gearing is the right ship after all.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Z52 can reach some ludicrous torp reload speed with the right mod/skill ands adrenaline rush.
But it's a fat boat that get nuked easily by BB AP so when you're out of smoke you kinda have to rely on torpedoes alone.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The star ratings for some of these missions is pretty hosed, potentially at least. OK, so doing 150 000 damage to battleships isn't that difficult and you can just grind it out in a few missions, but one star still seems low. Likewise, disabling or destroying three main guns in a single battle, in a battleship, seems extremely prone to RNG fuckery. I played for three hours in only battleships and didn't get it once. Then the Duke of York exclusive mission is a four star mission to do 50 000 damage in a single game, which was a much fewer star mission in the last tier of missions.

On the upside I got so loving fed up with being the lone tier 6 in a tier 8 match in my Queen Elizabeth that I free exped the remaining 20k I had to grind out and am feeling much better in the King George V.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

The star ratings for some of these missions is pretty hosed, potentially at least. OK, so doing 150 000 damage to battleships isn't that difficult and you can just grind it out in a few missions, but one star still seems low. Likewise, disabling or destroying three main guns in a single battle, in a battleship, seems extremely prone to RNG fuckery. I played for three hours in only battleships and didn't get it once. Then the Duke of York exclusive mission is a four star mission to do 50 000 damage in a single game, which was a much fewer star mission in the last tier of missions.

On the upside I got so loving fed up with being the lone tier 6 in a tier 8 match in my Queen Elizabeth that I free exped the remaining 20k I had to grind out and am feeling much better in the King George V.

The easiest way to destroy main battery turrets is to have them shooting someone else so you can shoot the turret from the side or back. Then actually aim to hit them. Still seems to rely on RNG a good bit.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HFX posted:

The easiest way to destroy main battery turrets is to have them shooting someone else so you can shoot the turret from the side or back. Then actually aim to hit them. Still seems to rely on RNG a good bit.

It'd be a lot easier if I could do it in ... well, not a battleship. Slow fire rates and less than stellar accuracy makes it hard. The ship restrictions are what really kills me. Getting 90 000 torpedo damage in a single game would be bad enough but I can't even try the mission because I don't have high tiered British destroyers or cruisers. I don't even care about the Duke of York, but I need one to do the other campaign for the Scharnhorst camo which I want :(

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Der Shovel posted:

It'd be a lot easier if I could do it in ... well, not a battleship. Slow fire rates and less than stellar accuracy makes it hard. The ship restrictions are what really kills me. Getting 90 000 torpedo damage in a single game would be bad enough but I can't even try the mission because I don't have high tiered British destroyers or cruisers. I don't even care about the Duke of York, but I need one to do the other campaign for the Scharnhorst camo which I want :(

I've given up on doing the missions that I'm never going to complete and just repeat the ones I can do in the course of the day. I don't play battleships so I skip over all the battleship missions.

Having said that, I should start playing battleships since I'm 100k free xp from missouri.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

The 90K can be done in any cruiser / destroyer. That said, 90K is a lot of damage to farm up in a single battle through torpedoes at tier 8 and below.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Leander is a massive step up from the Emerald.

My winrate in the Emerald is 30%. 30% over 23 games. 20k average dmg. I hated that ship.

Leander is at 57%, 36k dmg....it's far from my best ship but it certainly is a huge step up from an Emerald.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Leander is a good ship and the introduction to the non-poo poo half of the Brit CL line. Fiji just after is where I had the most fun. You have the tools to put hurt on everyone if you play well. You are still made from explodium though so map awareness, angling and using terrain is essential.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Nothing like playing a tier 9 cruiser to remind myself why I shouldn't. I load up my Neptune, hoping for something good. A bit into the game, I get a chance to open up on a Yamato while I'm hiding behind an island. I open up, get detected and I stop firing and start moving. A Montana 18km away hits me and kills me in a single salvo.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

I love epicenter mode. I especially love it when our CV is AFK.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I'm going to be that weird guy and go against the grain and say that the Emerald is not poo poo. It is however, very difficult.

The Emerald gets all of the tools that all of the tier 6+ RN cruisers gets, and it demands you use all of them to claim victory. More importantly, everybody talks about how bad the guns are on the Emerald, but nobody ever seems to notice the torpedo loadout on it is the best in tier. 8 torps per side, good range at tier, option to single fire.

Emerald is hard, but not bad. I got a 58% win rate in it, so doing well has to be possible.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bought the Alabama from the sale, and so far it seems like a real fun ship. It's fast for a battleship, the guns pack a loving punch and a half and it seems to take hits fairly well. At least until I realize the rest of my team has stopped advancing 5 KM before and are now just doing donuts at the edge of their gun range and I'm sitting alone surrounded by four tier 10 battleships and a handful of cruisers.

I really need to work on my situational awareness :v:

(Also, is this what US battleships turn into later on? Because if so, I got to start climbing that tree as well!)

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Yup they are all very similar to the Alabama after the Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Can HE shatters trigger fire or do they have to be pens?