Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They make low profile ramps, but race ramps for example are pretty pricey.

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/garage-and-service-ramps/56-race-ramps/

And yeah a 2x4 in front of the ramp might do it. or make your own little ramps out of wood, like 2x8s stacked on top of each other. I expect they don't need to be very high for an oil change.

I can still change my oil with all the wheels on the ground, but my drain pan just barely fits and the plug and filter and in the front and easy to reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Thanks everyone! I think I'll give one of those 3 jaw ones a go. The clearance on the side of the filter is an issue for one of my cars so it might be difficult with the others.

OSU_Matthew posted:

For your changes, you shouldn't need anything more than a leather work glove to grab and loosen the old one, they shouldn't be cranked on there any more than handtight. A leather work glove should give you just enough extra grip to loosen it. Also rub a little clean oil on the threads and rubber seal of the new filter to prevent the contact surface from siezing up.

I only ever do them up til the rubber contacts plus about a 1/4 turn more and always add the oil to the seal. They just manage to get tighter over the time they're on there.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
An oil change pit is also good for storing goats in.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can't get my wife's Jetta up onto ramps to change the oil due to low clearance (and fairly steep ramps). Is there a relatively cheap and compact jack I can use to put it up on jack stands? Looks like a bottle jack would be too tall.

Boom, problem solved. If you're lucky, you might even find a curb like this one, with built in low profile ramps for cars and an all-in-one disposal drain!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Just don't drop the drain plug

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
The hand tight thing has always been what I go by, but the filters for my air cooled 911 actually have a torque value on them of something like 20Nm. Do I do that? gently caress no. Hand tight. Works fine.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Boom, problem solved. If you're lucky, you might even find a curb like this one, with built in low profile ramps for cars and an all-in-one disposal drain!

If you live in a coastal area make sure you find a drain with little fishes and waves stenciled near it - that means they'll eat your used oil and convert it into clean water, or something.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Forums user eddiewalker printed those m18 clips for me and got them out really fast. What a swell guy. You've got a friend in me.:cheers:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

If you live in a coastal area make sure you find a drain with little fishes and waves stenciled near it - that means they'll eat your used oil and convert it into clean water, or something.

All water drains to the sea unless you live in the salt lake or somewhere similar where only death lives. All oil changes should start with a spare drain plug.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Elephanthead posted:

All oil changes should start with a spare drain plug.

And 100 lbs of kitty litter.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is the CDI torque wrench the way to go as far as made in the USA ones go, or is the a more budget friendly option?

It looks like the 30-250 lbs-ft model on Amazon is listed at $195 and there's a 20% off coupon for it when I checked earlier today.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I like Precision Instruments stuff a little better, but they are comparable to CDI in price and quality.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dave Inc. posted:

like 20Nm. Do I do that? gently caress no. Hand tight. Works fine.

20 Nm is about hand tight. :v:

MetaJew posted:

Is the CDI torque wrench the way to go as far as made in the USA ones go, or is the a more budget friendly option?

It looks like the 30-250 lbs-ft model on Amazon is listed at $195 and there's a 20% off coupon for it when I checked earlier today.

Depends what you're using it for. Home garage stuff the cheap harbor freight ones are fine and fairly accurate. Guys at work said the snap on guy tested one and it was as accurate as a snap on wrench. Aerospace mechanic, then probably spend the money on something better. :)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My FIL left his adorable ranger at our place and it needs a front brake job. My cheapo floor jack doesn’t go high enough, so I’d like to get a new one that’ll do the job. Is the harbor freight option a decent choice? Or is there something else I should look into?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throw a block of wood on top of the jack :shrug:

Use jackstands before you take wheels off, though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Powershift posted:

Throw a block of wood on top of the jack :shrug:

Use jackstands before you take wheels off, though.

I could (the wood, I always use jack stands...), but I was also going to use this as an opportunity to get a better floor jack than my lovely 15yo craftsman pos. We have only had small cars so the old one was fine, but having the small truck and looking into sprinter vans makes me want something better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh, well in that case, pay close attention to the weight rating. Sometimes "3 ton" means it can be used to lift up one end of a 3 ton vehicle with perfect 50/50 weight distribution and won't actually get the front end of a sprinter off the ground.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

El Jebus posted:

I could (the wood, I always use jack stands...), but I was also going to use this as an opportunity to get a better floor jack than my lovely 15yo craftsman pos. We have only had small cars so the old one was fine, but having the small truck and looking into sprinter vans makes me want something better.

Not sure on your budget, but when looking into the future of lifting vans or something like that take a look at https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-daytona-professional-steel-floor-jack-super-duty-63183.html

Coupons float around for 179 or so.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
For most trucks you can just lift the front and/or rear differential and axle off the ground (assuming 4wd with a big beefy front diff) and then throw some jack stands under the axle. That's how I lift my Jeep and it works fine with any old floor jack, even the old and super sketchy aluminum Harbor Freight special that barely lifts more than a foot off the ground. For a brake job it really doesn't matter if the front suspension is loaded or unloaded lifting via axle or not.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Don't know where you live, but sometimes you can score a nice trolley jack at Costco.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

mod sassinator posted:

For most trucks you can just lift the front and/or rear differential and axle off the ground (assuming 4wd with a big beefy front diff) and then throw some jack stands under the axle. That's how I lift my Jeep and it works fine with any old floor jack, even the old and super sketchy aluminum Harbor Freight special that barely lifts more than a foot off the ground. For a brake job it really doesn't matter if the front suspension is loaded or unloaded lifting via axle or not.

I'm sure in a pinch you could do this, and I've done it once or twice myself, but Ford specifically recommends against doing this.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

I'll have to check and see if my costcos have that jack anymore or if they have moved on to other items. Might end up with that HF 3 ton if I find a coupon, looks like it is the same price as the costco model without it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Ah, might depend on the diff then--for Jeeps it's what all the service manuals I've seen recommend (even with the junky Dana 30 front diff). Sometimes I lift a side just by the bottom of the lower control arm to axle connection too. That's probably not a great spot though as you have to be careful not to bend the bracket that holds the bushing.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 3, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

El Jebus posted:

I'll have to check and see if my costcos have that jack anymore or if they have moved on to other items. Might end up with that HF 3 ton if I find a coupon, looks like it is the same price as the costco model without it.

Locally I’ve seen a hybrid jack for sale lately, and there always seems to be one anyway. When I bought it was all steel, then they switched to aluminum. Now it’s a hybrid. I’m happy enough with the one I have that I didn’t give it much of a look. I trust the Costco jack more than anything from harbor freight, even though technically I am never in a life threatening position I’d rather not drop my car either.

Edit: although I did use a harbor freight engine jack and stand which could have caused more damage... they were so much cheaper with less times to be used. Also I’m not perfect, and subject to a budget.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 4, 2018

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I've been hugely satisfied with my harbor freight 3 ton jack. It's not the low profile (which sometimes I wish I had) or aluminum, but it's been pretty solid whenever I've needed to use it. My only compliant is that its real goddamned heavy. I can only just barely carry it around with one hand, and it takes two to heave it up into a trunk or back of a pickup.

Tool deal chat:
I've been waiting for this toolchest to come out, and now I find out it's $200 off for the holidays. Well, the holidays are past but apparently the deal is live for a little bit longer. I'm probably picking one up tonight (getting it delivered, one part is 350 lbs, the other is 240).
It's the "nicer" version of Milwaukee's 46" tool chest, which came out about two months ago. Any reviews I've seen really liked it, and at this price it's in the same range as the same size from Harbor Freight.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-46-in-18-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Combo-48-22-8546/301937094

Edit:
Odd issue: The price might depend on your store. One store I was going to buy it from has it advertised for $798, but won't deliver it. Other stores have it for $898, and either don't have it in stock, or also won't deliver. Nothing within 100 miles has it in stock. This could be a fun process.

Edit2:
Stopped in the store, and the sale should be good until 2/26. They WILL deliver, estimated charge for me was $79 but I live within ten miles of the store.

boxen fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 4, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I loved (and still have) my Costco Arcan hybrid jack, but I picked up a Daytona because the extra lift height is much nicer when working on the Jeep. The Costco jack handled the Ranger just fine though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

boxen posted:

I've been hugely satisfied with my harbor freight 3 ton jack. It's not the low profile (which sometimes I wish I had) or aluminum, but it's been pretty solid whenever I've needed to use it. My only compliant is that its real goddamned heavy. I can only just barely carry it around with one hand, and it takes two to heave it up into a trunk or back of a pickup.

Tool deal chat:
I've been waiting for this toolchest to come out, and now I find out it's $200 off for the holidays. Well, the holidays are past but apparently the deal is live for a little bit longer. I'm probably picking one up tonight (getting it delivered, one part is 350 lbs, the other is 240).
It's the "nicer" version of Milwaukee's 46" tool chest, which came out about two months ago. Any reviews I've seen really liked it, and at this price it's in the same range as the same size from Harbor Freight.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-46-in-18-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Combo-48-22-8546/301937094

Edit:
Odd issue: The price might depend on your store. One store I was going to buy it from has it advertised for $798, but won't deliver it. Other stores have it for $898, and either don't have it in stock, or also won't deliver. Nothing within 100 miles has it in stock. This could be a fun process.

Edit2:
Stopped in the store, and the sale should be good until 2/26. They WILL deliver, estimated charge for me was $79 but I live within ten miles of the store.

for that price maybe you should rent their truck for an hour? its like 20 or 25/hr

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

for that price maybe you should rent their truck for an hour? its like 20 or 25/hr

Thought about it, but I don't know if I have sufficient friends to help get it into and out of such a truck.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

boxen posted:

Thought about it, but I don't know if I have sufficient friends to help get it into and out of such a truck.

If you are able to justify that kinda cash on a toolchest, then you should have the appropriate skills to fit a small two-stroke engine to it and ride it home.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm sure in a pinch you could do this, and I've done it once or twice myself, but Ford specifically recommends against doing this.

Yeah, last time I tried this on the rear axle, the truck decided to shift a little, and twisted to one side off the jack. I guess the steering had just enough play in it, or wasn't locked. Fortunately there was plenty of room, and nothing got hit/hurt.

Since then, I lift things up one corner at a time, always leaving the other three planted on the wheel, or on a jackstand.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh yeah I would never suspend and hold by just the diff--always get some stands under the axle somewhere as soon as the wheels get off the ground.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, last time I tried this on the rear axle, the truck decided to shift a little, and twisted to one side off the jack. I guess the steering had just enough play in it, or wasn't locked.

I've lifted the rear of my C10 by the pumpkin pretty much every time I jack it up and have never had that problem, and it doesn't have a steering lock. I could maybe see it if the steering was already cranked to one side?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Any recommendations for a set of metal files?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Anyone have any suggestions for CV joint banding tools? I've got some booting to do on my Sbubaru.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've got these lisle clamp pliers and they're pretty nice for doing the clamps.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SREPY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_UkguAbKQE9492

Makes the process pretty easy, at least I don't remember ever swearing at them.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

El Jebus posted:

My FIL left his adorable ranger at our place and it needs a front brake job. My cheapo floor jack doesn’t go high enough, so I’d like to get a new one that’ll do the job. Is the harbor freight option a decent choice? Or is there something else I should look into?

Just curious, but what does it come with for changing tires on the side of the road? My dad's Dodge 2500 had a bottle jack with a u shaped top to rest under the axle.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Wrar posted:

Stick with a good brand name. Lots of guys have boners for Nicholson.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wrar posted:

Not exactly, but ask people to recommend good handles, too.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Wrar posted:

Can’t make a recommendation specifically, but I can say to look for something made in India or Portugal instead of China, even if the Chinese is a name brand. I’m pretty sure Nicholson is all made in Portugal now. Pferd, Warrensville, Bahco and Nicholson all have name recognition, but something from Mercer or Tomé Feteira are would have as good an offering at a lower cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Wrar posted:

I really like my corradi engineers files, got them in a set of 5 a few years ago. Made in Italy afaik.

Looks like you can get them from http://www.corradishop.com/ in the states. They have a set of 11 files that looks a little better than what I bought http://www.corradishop.com/index.php?currency=USD&main_page=product_info&products_id=77